baybee

the best movie of the 80s, 25 June 2002

I remember when I saw The Goonies for the first time. I was 8 years old and saw it at the cinemas and it became my favourite movie. After seeing it my friends and I started our own Goonie club and would go on adventures in the bushland as we lived near a reserve and we would create our own treasure hunts.

Jeff Cohen as Chunk was fantastic and not a single actor was miscast and the scene where Chunk confesses to the Fratelli's the worst things he's done in his life were hilarious. I hadn't seen this for years until it was released on DVD not long ago and when I watched it again, my childhood came flooding back and it hasn't dated at all.

This is one movie that appeals to all ages and I am disappointed that there has been no sequel.

Hysterical, 5 June 2002

America's Sweethearts would have to be one of the funniest movies I've seen recently.

Julia Roberts as usual plays down her beauty and once again always fails is fantastic as Kiki but Cahterine Zeta Jones really surprised me with her role and it was great to see her comedic skills. She is so beautiful and should be taken more seriously as an actress as she's brilliant.

John Cusack was ok as was Billy Crystal but Christopher Walken didn't disappoint with his small role as a movie director and practically stole the movie.

The final cut of the movie he made was hysterical and it would have been interesting to see Robert Downey Jr in the Hank Azaria role as I didn't think he was really great at all.

If you're looking for a movie to make you laugh, get this one out as it certainly doesn't disappoint.

The Guilty (2000)
Not Bad, 5 June 2002

One rainy day while searching the video store my boyfriend and I came across this movie. Bill Pullman was on the cover so we hired it without reading the back of the cover and we were pleasantly surprised.

It was strange seeing Bill Pullman as the bad guy. He's certainly an underrated actor and this movie works only because of him.

Gabrielle Anwar was dull in her performance but Devon Sawa was great.

Bill Pullman plays a lawyer about to become a judge who tries to seduce his secretary, Gabrielle Anwar. She threatens to blackmail him and he hires Sawa to kill her but there are a few twists involved.

All in all this isn't a bad movie to watch and even though his performance was good, after being the nice guy for so long you have trouble believing Bill Pullman as a baddie.

What Brokedown Palace should have been, 5 June 2002

Return to Paradise is what Brokedown Palace should have been. Joaquin Phoenix, David Conrad and Vince Vaughn are 3 friends on a 5 week holiday in Penang. Joaquin stays behind and the others come home. Forward 2 years later a young lawyer tracks down the other 2 and they find out that Joaquin's character has been in prison for the past 2 years and they have 8 years to decide whether to take their share of the blame.

Joaquin Phoenix is the heart and soul of this movie. His performance is so poignant and real, he has truly come a long way since the 80s.

Vince Vaughn and Anne Heche are brilliant in their roles especially Anne Heche, she really took her character to another level and it was sometimes heartbreaking as her performance was so real.

This is one movie to check out if you haven't seen it. I did not know about this movie until 2 years ago when I saw it on cable and after just watching Brokedown Palace I was skeptical as it was really bad and I was so surprised when I watched Return to Paradise as it wasn't toned down or glossed over and all the principle actors were fantastic.

If you haven't seen it you certainly don't know what you're missing.

Very suspenseful, 5 June 2002

I only saw The Vanishing a few days ago on cable and surprised I've never come across it before.

The Vanishing reminds me so much of Breakdown, starring Kurt Russell where the movie plods along at a nice speed, nothing over the top happens or anything.

Sandra Bullock, although on screen for about 10 minutes is brilliant as Diane, girlfriend of Jeff, played by Kiefer Sutherland. They're on their way home after a holiday and they stop off at a gas station and that's the last time Jeff sees Diane.

A few years later, Jeff is determined to find out what happened to Diane and for a first the abductor played brilliantly by Jeff Bridges seeks Jeff out in order to clear his mind of what happened that day 3 years ago.

Nancy Travis is in a thankless role as Jeff's new girlfriend Rita, who is jealous of Jeff's determination to find the truth in Diane's disappearance.

Kiefer Sutherland is brilliant as Jeff and is in all his work and the movie isn't over the top in the scare factors, there a quite a few scares especially when you find out the truth and that's what makes this movie work the fact that it isn't over the top in scaring the audience.

If you haven't seen this movie you certainly don't know what you've been missing, hey it took me 9 years to see it and it's become one of my favourites.

Ghost (1990)
The best love story, 5 June 2002

After 12 years Ghost would have to be the best love story in recent years. The story of unconditional love beyond the grave is so beautiful and makes me cry even after seeing this film 30 times.

Patrick Swayze is Sam and Demi Moore is Molly. One night Sam is mugged and killed and is trying to contact Molly beyond the grave as the murderer is in her life. With the help of Oda Mae Brown, brilliantly played by Whoopi Goldberg he contacts Molly through Oda and of course Molly doesn't believe her.

I won't spoil the outcomes for the people who haven't seen this but there are a few twists and turns although one was very obvious and was picked up the first time I saw this as a 13 year old girl.

This is the only film which makes me cry every time I watch it. This movie makes you appreciate exactly what you have and who you spend your life with and not to take that person and each day for granted.

This will always be a wonderful film that will be remembered in years to come.

Too close to reality, 3 June 2002

I first saw this movie about 8 years ago and seeing Robert Downey Jr portray a drug addict is a little too close to reality. He was brilliant as Julian that it's such a shame to see he's followed the same path as he is a gifted actor.

Andrew McCarthy stood out as well as Clay the best friend who went away to college and comes home to help his friend who betrayed him by sleeping with his girlfriend and a year later comes home to help his friend, but Jami Gertz was a huge let down as Clay's girlfriend Blair as was the usually reliable James Spader who played a character similar to the one he played in Pretty in Pink. He should have had a bigger part and another let down was that how the film ended.

Besides that this is a movie worth checking out as it wasn't filled with the Brat Packers of the 80s.

The only thing unrealistic was that we were supposed to believe that Blair, Clay, Julian and Rip were 18/19 years old.

This is one of Robert Downey Jr's best work, and definitely worth a look even after all these years.

Enjoyable, 3 June 2002

Coyote Ugly is a enjoyable movie. Piper Perabo plays Violet, a small town girl who moves to New York to become a song writer but ends up working in a bar.

John Goodman plays her father and even though his role is small he is wonderful like he always is in his roles as is Melanie Lynskey who plays Violet's best friend Gloria. Those two are really what makes this movie work.

Aussie Adam Garcia is also terrific as Kevin as is Maria Bello as Lil.

This movie appeals to both males and females - males obviously for the coyotes and women for Adam Garcia. The sound track is brilliant as well with 4 songs performed by LeAnn Rimes and other artists and a definite must have as well.

Ralph Macchio may have been the Karate Kid, but this film belongs to William Zabka, 3 June 2002

Ralph Macchio may have been the Karate Kid, but this film belongs to William Zabka and it's such a shame he's not making bigger movies even though he is still acting.

He was brilliant as Johnny and even though he was the bully you couldn't help but like him and I had the biggest crush on him growing up and I was only 7 when I saw this at the movies and watched all his movies until Shootfighter and of course when he was on the Equalizer and he was quiet for a while until High Voltage and Python were released in Australia as not all his movies are released here.

He put so much heart and soul into his performance as Johnny and it was a shame that he was typecast as the bully in his other films but then again, he was the best actor in Back to School.

Elisabeth Shue gave an honest and real performance as Ali but was relogated to the role of girlfriend in her other films until Leaving Las Vegas when again she showcased her wonderful acting ability and Pat Morita was brilliant as Miyagi. It's a shame that the sequel didn't focus more on the Cobra Kais and Ali as after the opening of the 2nd one the movie fell apart from then on.

When Karate Kid 3 was released all I knew then was that Kreese was after revenge and it would have been great if the original Cobra Kais made an appearance other than the arcive footage as the first Karate Kid worked so well when they were on screen that when they weren't the film got a little boring.

Of course Ralph's character in the beginning wasn't a expert on karate and of course the underdog has to win the tournament and the girl but I didn't like his character as he lies to his potential new friends and his sometimes treatment of Ali made you want the Cobra Kais to win, but of course in movie land this isn't possible.

It's hard to believe this movie is almost 20 years old. It hasn't dated funnily enough and is always showing on cable. Teen movies are sure a lot different today than what they were in the 80s. It seems every decade the new generation of teens latch onto those 80s movies and even though the fashion etc are questionable, some of the best movies were from the 1980s and this is certainly one of them.

Heartwrenching, 3 June 2002

The Perfect Storm was such a heartwrenching experience to watch, movies based on real life events always are to me and this is no exception.

George Clooney and Mark Wahlberg were fantastic in this movie as was John C. Reilly. Diane Lane was brilliant as well and it's great to see her back in another great movie Unfaithful as she is truly a gifted actress but in this film she was limited but when she was on screen it was magic.

The last hour of this movie is gutwrenching to say the least and always brings a tear to my eye as you cannot even begin to imagine what it must have been like for the people involved and for the people left behind.

The theme song and score is pure magic as well. James Horner is a master at creating beautiful music. He shone with Legends of the Fall and not to mention Titanic, his music always lifts the film to the highest level and brings so much more to the films he works on.