Seersha1

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Enjoyable film, 8 June 2010

I liked this film so much I went out and brought a copy to keep so I can re-watch it whenever I like. Somehow this romantic comedy passes the average mark, to the point where I can say I love this film. Romantic comedies are hardly ever original nowadays, and the idea of two mismatched people falling in love against the odds or expectations is certainly not new. But Gerard Butler and Katherine Heigl make it work, with the help of a quirky and fun script. In my opinion Butler is the one who really saves this film, because even though his character is a jerk most of the film, in quieter moments he shows us a softer side – with just a look – that makes the audience aware there is more going on below the surface of his character. The end scene between the characters in the hot air balloon is all Butler, as he sells the love story ending everyone wants. I really was surprised by how much I enjoyed this film, and highly recommend.

Recommended, 8 June 2010

Looking back, this film seems a bit ahead of it's time. At the time when this film came out, it was probably considered quite a brave role for Tom Hanks to take on, or Denzel Washington for that matter. They both shine with amazing performances in this important and wonderful film. It follows a gay man who is dying from AIDS in a court case against his former employees for wrongful dismissal, illustrating the injustice and inequality that people who are gay or people with AIDs have to face. Tom Hanks is truly fantastic, it's no wonder he won an Oscar for this performance. I highly recommend this film to others, and it an important one as a stepping stone to other films and even today there is still a stigma around being gay in Hollywood.

Fun and enjoyable and lovely, 8 June 2010

I have often wondered why Bill Pullman didn't become a bigger star than he is. He's played the romantic interest in a few films, starring opposite two of the romcom queens – Meg Ryan and Sandra Bullock. He was even great in Independence Day. And he is great in this film too, with enough charm and likability for viewers to understand why it is Lucy falls in love with his character. Sandra Bullock does well in her role, too. It's not an outstanding performance, but as an actress and person she is so likable that really all that matters is that she's cute and easy to watch on screen. Recommended for anyone who enjoys romantic comedies.

Good movie, 8 June 2010

One of the better films from the late 1990's aimed at teens. Starring Ryan Phillipe, Reese Witherspoon, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Selma Blair and Joshua Jackson, this film boasts a great cast of young stars. The film follows the twisted manipulations of Kathryn and Sebastian, through their dealings with sex, drugs and relationships. It really is a great film, with solid performances. Sarah Michelle Gellar and Selma Blair shine, with a nice quirky cameo role from Josh Jackson too. I wish he was in the film more. Miles ahead many of the other "teen films" of the time, I would highly recommend you check out Cruel Intentions.

Big (1988)
Charming film, 8 June 2010

It's hard to imagine that a movie like this once had the ability to land an actor an Oscar nomination. These days I think it would be almost impossible for that to happen. That doesn't take away from the fact that, yes, Tom Hanks makes the role all he can. I have come the conclusion though that Tom Hanks is just that kind of actor that can pull anything off and do it, if not outstandingly, at the very least really, really well. He shows enthusiasm and nervousness in equal measures and makes it believable that he's only a thirteen year old boy trapped in an older body, trying his best to be an adult when the reality is he is far from it. I also want to say the other actors are all fantastic, and it's a fun movie that can be enjoyed by the entire family.

Enjoyable film, 8 June 2010

I was pleasantly surprised by this film. No it's not original or believable, but if you can just go with the premise (a young girl wakes up 30 years old after having some sort of fairy dust sprinkled on her), then it's a very enjoyable film. Jennifer Garner proves why she was the "it" girl at the time with a heartfelt and fun performance of a young girl way out of her depth in the adult world. Mark Ruffalo isn't drop-dead-gorgeous by typical standards, but somehow has enough charisma and charm to make him a worthy romantic interest. My favourite scenes are the 'Thriller' dance, the swing-set scene and ending scene (which I won't spoil). I also want to make a note that I give Kudos to whomever was in charge of the costumes in this film – I don't usually make note of these details, but I have to say they did a wonderful job. The costumes were varied, colourful and worked well for the cast, especially Garner. Recommended for people who love romantic comedies or fans of Jen Garner.

Disappointed, 8 June 2010

Unfortunately this movie disappointed me. I have read the book (which is wonderful), and this movie just doesn't come close. I do believe that the movie was miscast, most notably Robert Redford in the role of Tom. It is such a shame, really. The book leant a lovely storyline, but for whatever reason the book didn't translate well to film. I think the movie could have been better made, but what we are left with is a movie where not many of the characters are likable, and the heart of the book seems to have been lost. Perhaps if I hadn't read the book, maybe I would have enjoyed this more. As it stands, I guess all I can say is that if you have read the book be forewarned to be disappointed, and if you haven't, I truly hope you enjoy the film more than I did. Sadly, this isn't a film I am likely to recommend to friends.

Titanic (1997)
One day this will be a classic, 8 June 2010

An historical film, to be sure (it made history at the box office). A classic? Probably one day, I don't think enough time has passed to truly call this a classic just yet, but of course it definitely has all the makings of one. Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio shot to fame with this film, and I have to say even though they are OK, I don't think either of them struck me with their talent. They are both marvelous actors, but it wasn't until years later that I really believed that. Still, they have wonderful chemistry and make the love story believable and heartfelt. As for the film itself, it is a grand scale film, really something to enjoy on a big screen if possible. Although over the years it seems people have come to view this film with much indifference, it is a film worth seeing if you haven't already, and if you have, it is one to revisit every few years.

Thought provoking documentary, 8 June 2010

Well, Michael Moore does it again – another great film of his to add to the list! An examination of capitalism, the financial crisis, and with a smothering of 'greed is bad' to top it off. I have to admit the religious overtones in the film were somewhat distracting for me (given I am not personally religious), and I can't say I am completely sold on the 'Capitalism is Evil' message the film strongly conveys. I don't think capitalism is evil, it's just gotten out of hand whereby now profit is the most important thing, damned be the consequences of lives of innocent people. That said, perhaps with some reining in and regulations in place (not to mention the rebirth of ethics), I am sure capitalism could be OK. But I digress… back to the film… it is an interesting documentary, engaging, informative. I give Mr. Moore a lot of credit for putting forth another perspective to the masses, at the very least we need to start questioning our governments, lawmakers, corporate bosses and the like. We need to bring back people power, and realize that we truly do have the power in democracy. Thank you Mr. Moore for your film, I thoroughly enjoyed it and will recommend it to others.

Fun and funny movie!, 8 June 2010

Fun. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think of this movie. It was a blast to watch, funny and strange all at once! The premise is that a group of friends head to Vegas for a bachelor party. They wake up the next day with hangovers, none of them recalling events of the night prior and noticing that the groom-to-be is mysteriously missing. What follows is their adventures in Vegas to make sense of the strange surroundings they have awoken to (a tiger in the bathroom and a baby in the closet is the tip of the iceberg…), their quest to find their missing friend while also trying to remember how it is they got into this mess in the first place. Bradley Cooper is an up and coming 'It' boy, you can tell, and yes he is charming and great in the film. But so are all of the actors. The writing is solid, the film will make you laugh. A great comedy for adults to enjoy.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]