pmitsi-1

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

One of the most popular Greek films, 16 August 2016

A comedy focusing on the love of a wealthy student girl (Liza) for her limited-means professor of Ancient Greek (Panos Floras). Despite the girl's best efforts for him to return her affections, the poor man is morally bound by his profession. Eventually she goes too far and then he responds in a manner which brings the film to a climax and a merry conclusion. Everything else I may say would be a spoiler.

The highlights of this still popular film include the famous scene where Liza recites 'Antigone' ("Eros Anikate Mahan...") and the school-trip where she performs two songs by the famous composer Manos Hajidakis. (The vinyl which contained those songs was the 1st Golden Record ever awarded in Greek discography.) You might also enjoy the 'multible slapping sequence' (especially if you know that all slaps were real!).

Some trivia: The biggest Greek box office success of that year (1959). An unofficial sequel followed in 1963, where the same actors portrayed slightly different versions of these characters. Despite the fact that the leading stars of this film loathed each other at the time it was filmed, they would eventually marry and have a son together.

The Queen of Re-runs in Greece!!!, 8 May 2013

The series has become a cult for the Greek audience of all ages. The main reason is not only its success when was first broadcasted (1998-2000), but also its very successful reruns. In Greece is very usual to rerun some series during the summer months, that is considered a dead season by the TV channels. However, with "Constantinou kai Elenis" the things were different: The reruns proved more successful than the original airing!! By now the series is considered as some-kind of summer tradition and many fans watch and re-watch the episodes every summer. The punch-lines of the leading character, Constantinos, are still used in Greek jargon.

The screenplay is about a classic "polar opposite characters have to live together" situation. The uncle of Constantinos, an over-conservative university professor, dies leaving behind two an-dated wills. The one of those testaments leaves his house to his nephew, the other giving it to Eleni, an open-minded foulmouthed waitress - that happened to be the daughter of the said uncle's beloved gardener. Since there is no-way to prove which testament was written last (and thus is the legitimate) the two characters, that loath each other, have to share the house until the situation is cleared out. To make things worse, their circles of friends and relatives clash and add to the already explosive situation.

According to the actress that portrays Eleni (Eleni Rantou), a very important reason for the everlasting success of the series is that the entire cast were in very happy periods of their lives while the series was being shoot (e.g. Eleni Rantou had just given birth to a baby girl and she and her husband were never happier). In that manner, all the actors and the production team became quick friends and were having a blast during shootings. So, some of that fan they were having was transferred to the screen. Also, Mrs Rantou indicated that nobody really believed that the series was going to be a smash-hit, so they decided to have a good time, at least - and their stress-free performances made it a success!

A some-how negative impact of the series seems to be its "type-cast": Despite all members of the cast having made many other works ever since (many of them very successful), the people STILL identifies them with the same characters. Mrs. Rantou even said that for a time she was thinking to ask the channel to stop the summer reruns...

Nice Greek series, 25 March 2013

A very good series, with nicely developed characters and a spree of future TV stars (including Papakaliatis, Charalampides and Koklas).

The leading characters are played by two very talented and respectful actors that manage to persuade us that a taxi-driver and a high-class rich successful woman can become soul-mates - their chemistry is obvious from their very first scene together.

I adored the character of Athina that is maybe the most difficult part in the film: A dynamic woman that many dislike, but also envy for her ability to claim what she wants at any cause, but also having the guts to actually admits her mistakes, deals with the consequences and starts from the scratch.

Nice paved story, based on a best-seller by the singer-turned actress, Yovanna. The ending will satisfy the most, however, it does seem a bit harried, as far as the Papakaliatis character involvement. I like though the fact that most of the dialogue is implied - avoiding clichés.

She acted Black... So, F... What?, 11 March 2013

This is an episode that really irritated me. She was into the Afro-American culture... so what?!?!? Why on Earth it irritated them so much? What happened to the open-mindedness, equal treatment, tolerance etc? Am I the only one that saw the irony in this: 100 years ago if a colored person dared to behave in a certain way he or she was deemed as "trying to be a white" and was treated with contempt. And now I see the exactly same and opposite to happen. Well, sorry for pointing it out, but it's racism in BOTH situations.

I rated it 6 and not below 5 because it may have helped other people also see this irony and stop instantly disliking people because "they don't act like their race".

Good heavens! I never expected to see this in an afro-American show...

Great by all means!!, 10 February 2013

A great episode by all means. First: it shows more emotional (human) side in everyone: The actor portraying Greg shows his more sensitive side, when he becomes a Good Samaritan and he reveals he hides the truth about his occupation from his over-protective mother. He is also touched and obviously pre-caught by the scene where the family of the SOB he so rightfully run over is in mourning.

Sarah, even if she does not appear a lot, delivers very good lines, first when she goes to Greg telling him that she came for him not to investigate the scene and at the end, when she delivers the biggest insight (IMO): no-one blames the "kids", even if they WERE the ones responsible, no matter what they were told by the "Federline character".

Nick expresses the feeling of every "human" viewer of the episode by punching the punk (spoiler: THE punk, as we see later on) in the stomach. In any other circumstance I would be the first to shout "police power abuse", but in this case I said "Bra-vo!".

Catherine expresses subtly, as always her emotions, as we see through her reactions when the slut, sorry I meant the girl participating in the "funnysmucking", was providing the "reasons" she does it.

The rest of the actors also performed greatly in this episode (e.g. Warwick when both protects and reprimands Nick).

Last, but not least, I enjoyed the cameo of the "Supernatural" Uncle Bob, the passing-by of Daniel Franzese the and even the "over-emphasized" Federline.

Also, the discussion of the CSI team at the end about "where is the blame". And I wish not to hear that "things like these do not happen, nobody does that, this episode was just to portray violent scenes...". People! Don't you watch the news?!

Respect, but to WHOM?, 31 August 2012

I like this episode for its humor, especially in the heated arguments of Clark and Lois and the transformation of Chloe.

What I really hate about it, though, is the preservation of the whole idea of people being absolutely awful to new members of a team "until they prove their value"... Come on guys... This is what bullying and abuse is all based on. What happened with "give the new guy some space to breath" or "or cut him some slack"? Also, it has a coach actually ordering his team to bully a single member... OK, he may was under the influence, but, still... you don't want to show this on national television like is "the usual practice".. Have some respect for the abused, not the abusers...

Goddess Veritas = An Empress and a Saint..., 25 June 2012

I like this episode in a sense that shows once again how many lies people say everyday, even to the ones they love - especially to them. However, I personally, dislike lies in any manner (even the so-called "white lies"), and this is why I am making this review.

The picture of "Goddess of Truth, Veritas" is not a picture of a Goddess at all. The woman in the picture, which is actually a mosaic, is of a Byzantine Empress(!), the consort of Emperor Justinian I. She is considered a Saint in the Orthodox Christian Church.

One can check that just my googling "Theodora, Wikipedia".

OK, I don't expect the show to be 100% accurate, after all is a sci-fi series. However, given the amount of research taking place before every episode (that's why is such a great production), is a pity to see such profound errors.

Just by the dance scene..., 26 September 2011

I don't usually make a review after only watching one scene in a movie, but when I watched the dancing scene in you tube I was truly moved and I decided to do it anyway...

"Two-Faced Woman" is mostly known for being Garbo's last film and for the bad reviews the stunning actress and the film itself received. However, the scene I just watched, the improvised dance, is that good that made me wanna watch the whole film.

Garbo certainly had as much as talent for comedy roles, as much as for dramatic ones. And she really sparkles in this one.

I believe the critics of the time were too harsh and too much in a hurry to bury the film, that made the audience turn away from it. I never saw Mrs Garbo that happy, beautiful and feminine in all her films put together. She really proved that she could play a happy-go-lucky woman as easily as she could portrait an ice-cold dynamic Queen or a doomed damsel...

I don't remember if The Acedemy honored her with an honorary Oscar, but it they didn't shame on them...

The worse possible example of a father...., 10 September 2011

I gave this an 8 because of being the only adaptation that exposes the Mr. Bennet character for what he really is: An intelligent man that makes the fatal error of showing of his "superiority" by exposing his own wife to his children and exposing his own family to his environment. This is like shooting one self to the foot. Doesn't he realize that?

His family and even his wife would be much better if he did not treat them like this. From all the adaptations, this is the most hateful impersonation of the character. Maybe some people would find him wise and respectable, but he seems to me like real bastard. People are like him even to this day: They believe that exposing their own family would make them superior to them. Don;t they really know that makes them even worse? Don't they know that they condemn their families to even worse fate? No, of course... You selfish bastard of a father... Did you really expect to improve their position by ridiculing them? Who can take delight by laughing at his own's family face? If I ever meet a real-like Mr. Bennet character I would expose HIM for what he really is...

Tara Road (2005)
A Great Book and a Very Bad Movie..., 16 August 2011

I read the book (quite a large one I must say) some months ago and so it was still fresh in my memory when I saw this film. Well, this is one of the worse book adaptations I ever seen! From where to start? From the fact that the 3/4 of the book are literally gone? From the flat performances of all the actors with the likely exception of Andie MacDowel? The miscasting of Ria and Rosemary? The change of Ria in America that it looks like it happened in a split second? Not explaining why the house was that important?

I understand it is a big book and they should to summarized it, but it was supposed not to lose it's meaning on the way. Well, it certainly did. Ria is a strong woman at the book even before her marriage fell apart. In the film she is portrayed like a weakling, ready to collapse from the first set. She has a smile like a retard on her face and she's like wearing a sign "kick me".

Rosemary is supposed to be drop dead gorgeous woman in the book, while in the film she is more like an overdecorated spinster. Danny is supposed to be a man that looks considerably younger than his age, still having boyish looks in his forties. However, the actor looks like he is a 50 year old pretending he is 40 with that ridiculously long hair....

Lastly, the meaning of the house of the title, is that Danny was the one that chose it and hanged on to it in the first place and Ria only learned to love it because of Danny's affection to it. That makes his betrayal even bigger, since he made her love the house and he finally was trying to get her out of it.

The only reasons I did not grade this film with a 4 or a 3, was the cameo appearance of Ms. Binchy (the book's author) at a scene (at the restaurant's bar, the lady dressed in blue) and the somehow more condensed ending, even if seemed quite rushed.

If you really want to feel the magic of Maeve Binchy's book in a film, I would definitely recommend "The Circle of Friends (1995)".

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]