jgreen8824

Awful, but at least watchable, 9 April 2006

I'll be the first to admit that Plan 9 From Outer Space is an awful film. But at least it's watchable, which is a lot more than I can say for other films that cost much more, and used actors / actresses that are much more recognizable.

There are glaring and recognizable mistakes throughout the film, there's very little in the way of an actual story, and it's quite apparent that this film was made on the cheap - the sets are a pretty good indication of that.

But for all its problems, the movie does actually have a good pace, and seems to move along fairly quickly. It doesn't feel plodding, or fluffed up like other films, especially from the B-movie genre seem to be.

Sounds like Clint's personal fantasy to me, 4 April 2006

Looking back at the movie, I wonder sometimes if this was a case of Clint acting out his own personal fantasies. In this movie he gets to be the tough as nails Gunny Highway, who has been in action in both Korea and Vietnam. There is plenty of patriotic imagery to be found throughout the film, and the film feels like a recruiting poster for the USMC. And of course there's the heavy combat towards the end of the film.

I did enjoy the film, but did not take it too seriously. The reason I didn't is because Heartbreak Ridge runs into problems when it comes to realism. As others have said, recon units are elite units with members who hold themselves to the highest standards at all times. Members of recon units are not the shoddy, lazy, poorly disciplined men seen in this film. They are consummate professionals, and would have undergone so much training and weeding out to make the accidental firing on the range unbelievable, as well as the general undisciplined behavior of the unit at the beginning.

Good idea, the execution could've been better, 13 January 2006

I think the premise behind the series was a good one. Show a real life minister and his family - not a carefully polished, scrubbed, and fake image - who have to deal with all too human frailties. But the execution could've been better.

In some ways the series seems a bit contrived to me and a bit over the top, like the producers went out of their ways when it came to some elements. One example I can think of is the Catholic priest and his contacts with organized crime who just happens to be around when Daniel needs him.

I did like the scenes with Jesus. The producers certainly did a good job here, giving the audience a very different view of Jesus than what we traditionally see.

Hopefully NBC will continue with this series, and it will become an even better show. The series has a refreshing realism instead of a polished up and idealized view of the world.

The non MST3K version (contains spoilers), 7 September 2004

Recently, I learned that a non-MST3k version of Manos: the Hands of Fate was available for sale. I was able to buy it for about $10.00 (about $7.00 + $3.00 shipping) from Amazon.com.

I wanted to see the film as it was originally presented. It looks like either the people at Best Brains did some cleanup and restoration on the film to make it more presentable, or the print used for the non-MST3K DVD version was in poorer shape. So the film appears more scratched up then the MST3k version, and the quality of the sound track is uneven.

The film does have a few extra scenes in it that had been cut from the MST3K version. (Here's the spoilers) There's a couple extra minutes in the car as Michael is busy getting the family totally lost, as well as some extended conversation between wife #1 and the Master as he's sacrificing her to Manos.

If you're interested in seeing how Manos was originally presented, or if you want to see what had been left out in the MST3K version, this might be an interesting DVD to watch. But be warned, without Joel and the 'bots to keep you company during this God-awful film, the film can seem like crawling on your hands and knees through broken glass.

what were they thinking... (contains spoiler), 22 July 2004

What were they thinking when they made this film? It's just yet another example of how in many cases that sequels don't work. Now of course there are exceptions to that rule of sequels that do just as well, if not better than the original film.

This third installment of Smokey and the Bandit has little in the way of redeeming qualities. It seems that the studio wanted to milk the Smokey and the Bandit franchise for all it was worth, which resulted in this flop being made.

(Here's the spoiler). Other than a small cameo role right at the end of the film, Burt didn't have anything to do with this film. Sally Field was nowhere to be seen. With them missing, there wasn't much left to hold this film up. While Gleason and Jerry Reed tried their best, without Reynolds and Field the film was a house missing a large part of its foundation.

I still enjoy seeing the first film, and the second film has its moments. But not this third film.

Not that great, 21 July 2004

As much as I liked the first movie, I find that I don't really like the second film. While the film had it's moments, especially with Jackie Gleason as Buford T. Justice, there really wasn't much to redeem this film.

Everything about the film seemed rather contrived, especially the comedy. The comedy seemed to be forced most of the time.

While I can watch the first film over and over and it never seems to get old for me, the second film wore out its welcome almost right away. I don't know, but maybe if they hadn't tried so hard with the second film to measure up to the first film it would have been better.

mixed feelings... (possible spoilers), 9 July 2004

I have a lot of mixed feelings about the film. A lot of the action sequences involving the actual train were really good. But the film was ruined in many ways by what was tacked on to the film.

What happened once the train got going, a lot of that was really good. Especially with all the people at the dispatch office trying to control what was rapidly becoming a hopeless situation.

I think that what really drug the film down was all the scenes at the prison. I think a lot of the prison scenes were superflous, and contributed nothing to the story. I was left wondering what boxing had to do with a runaway train. Some parts were needed in order to give the viewer the full story, but most were not needed. Same thing with all the really cheesy dialog in the story. That did a lot to damage the film too. All the speech making that the main characters had done added nothing to the story, and made them look like a bunch of idiots.

Runaway train did have its moments. But what was good about this story did not overcome the many shortcomings in this movie. If the cheesy dialog was cut out, and the story more tightly focused, the movie might have been a really good film.

Headaches, 6 July 2004

This is one of those comedy movies that winds up giving me a tension headache about 15 minutes into the film. I like comedy, especially on television and in the movies. But what Robin Williams and fellow castmates are doing here is not comedy. They try, but the main characters are way too over the top. We see the unfortunate sterotyping of gay people here as well, particularly in the way gay men are portrayed. I personally have known people who're gay, and a lot of times you just can't tell it by the way they act. Also, it seems that the film suffers from uneven pacing - the film seems to be racing along at times, and other times it's like watching paint dry. If there was any saving grace to this film, it was Gene Hackman's performance as the conservative Senator.

boring (may have spoilers), 21 June 2004

I don't mean any disrespect towards the late Stanley Kubrick. Technically, Kubrick was brilliant. The effects were brilliant, and even today with all the computer technology, the simple 1960's effects still are very competitive. The effects make the story believable. But 2001 is one of the most boring movies I have ever seen. What story there is gets lost in the flow of the movie because of the plodding pace of this film. It was such slow going I had acutally dozed off the last time I had seen the film. Others have commented that the story could have been told in under an hour. And that's true, particularly if some of the more psychadelic effects and the other fluff had been stripped away. But it would have shown just how weak the story was.

a rollar coaster (contains spoilers), 6 June 2004

I think the show was kind of a rollar coaster as far as quality goes. It had a slow start in the first season. It really took off after the second season, and remained high up until the beginning of the final season. It dealt with just about every kind of issue that a community may have to deal with over the course of time. Racial strife, murder, love affairs, robbery, rape, incest, stalking, drunk driving, government corruption, and so on. The Sparta police force was able to deal with the problems with professionalism and a determination to do things right. Even if it wasn't easy, or struck too close to home. But then the last season and the following TV movies all seemed rather tacked on to me. I think the retooling of the show that happened during the last season was a blunder on the part of the producers. Especially with the departure of Anne-Marie Johnson and Howard Rollins from the show. I think that the show had its moments during the final season, and remained a good show throughout the entire run, but the final season and the movies didn't measure up to the seasons that came before.