masercot

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Oh Yeah, 30 September 2016

This show was nearly flawless. Excellent acting, good music and a very nice pace. In one episode, they set everything in motion without it seeming forced. And, Luke Cage has the charisma that Daredevil doesn't.

The lonely superhero persona kind of gets on my nerves after a while and this doesn't really deviate from that. I'm hoping he settles down with what seems to be his destined love-interest. Which brings me to my only gripe:

I'm no prude, but the only flaw I find is with the soft-core sex scenes in this an in his cameo in the other series, complete with funky bass. Whereas it is nice to see he is getting his share of sex, it seems a little out of place in a superhero show.

That being said, I am looking very much forward to the rest of the series...

Harakiri (1962)
Pulls You In, 27 September 2016

I look at each non-Kurosawa Japanese movie with skepticism. This movie included.

But, it didn't take long for the movie to pull me in. You feel a real compulsion to know answers. Who is the older samurai? What is his connection to the young man who was, let's not mince words, brutally murdered by a lord and his retainers? Why are the three "seconds" no shows for the second suicide? And, the answers aren't the ones you expect. What you do take from this movie is a complete lack of respect for the samurai code which is shown to have definitely atrophied.

If you enjoyed Rashamon, you will like this movie.

A Fun Little Movie, 23 August 2016

I love Ginger Rogers. I don't much care for her dance movies, but I like her comedies. I like this movie.

The plot of this movie is simple and incongruous: A wealthy business-owner has big problems and a family that doesn't love or respect him. His solution to fix everything is to pretend to have a mistress. Somehow, this DOES fix everything.

The acting is competent. The lead male is a funny guy, with kind of a cartoon voice. I don't know if it started as a play, but it definitely had that feel to it.

I recommend this one...

I'm Not Sure, 10 July 2016

This movie is a mixture of 1984, Fahrenheit 451 and a little V is for Vendetta thrown in for good measure.

But, after seeing Christian Bale, yet again, as an attractive dead-eyed sociopath, I have to ask: Is the man a really good actor? Or, is he a dead-eyed sociopath playing himself? The movie is pretty compact and doesn't really make many mistakes. The action is the real draw. It is well done despite the inanity of "gun kata", which is ridiculous on the face of it.

There are better dystopias out there in movie land; but, with slick action and some great supporting actors, this movie is definitely worth a peek.

B-b-b-but the First One was so Good., 18 June 2016

As Hamlet said to his mother, "How can you go from this to THIS?" I have to ask that about the Hit-man movies.

The first had a great cast and actors with charisma. This one has a competent cast but no one stands out. The first had a very sexy female lead. She had a personality. This movie has a female lead whose only emotion seems to be annoyance. The villain in the last movie was interesting. His plot was diabolical and believable. This movie has Zachory Quinto as the henchman and a very forgettable boss.

The action was fine... a little jumpy during the hand to hand sequences, which implies the director didn't feel capable of directing a fist fight.

All in all, worrisome in that it might kill the franchise before another decent Hit-man movie can be made.

A So So Detective Movie with a Charismatic Lead, 6 April 2016

Bumbling cops, a slick detective who manages to outwit them and the crooks and a morally ambiguous sidekick. Pretty much the staple of thirties and forties detective movies.

So, why tune in? Well, Warren William was the BEST Perry Mason; however, they stopped using him after a few movies and replaced him with some personality-free blow up dolls. The way he played Mason was more like Gardener's Perry Mason. Just a fun guy to watch.

As others have said, not a lot of mystery. But, a fun chase for a stack of ransom money that never made it to the kidnappers. Not Saint or Thin Man quality; but, definitely worth an hour of your life.

Lucy (2014/I)
I Liked this Movie, 29 March 2016

I turned this on expecting a Matrix or Desperado type juggernaut of destruction and there is some of that. But, it also has a nice mix of styles. Some Oliver Stone, some Kubrik, some Matrix, some Ultraviolet and a little Altered States tossed in for good measure.

Johannson is competent in a role that tosses emotional content out the window pretty early on. Morgan Freeman acts as both narrator to the beginning and a character later on, a little like Shawshank Redemption.

The cinematography is very interesting and very vivid.

The only thing missing is characters the viewer actually cares about. Lucy commits an outright murder early on, making her alignment very ambiguous. She comes off as amoral and a little scary.

I'm definitely glad I saw this movie.

Ick, Yuck and Blech, 18 March 2016

This movie is almost unwatchable. I'm not sure why it was made. The only motive that comes to mind is revenge, but against whom? Casting is a big issue. Jan Murray is a stand up comic who is about as funny as an influenza epidemic. The rest of the cast follows his suit. There is none of the Jerry Lewis comic genius in this film. Even when he's mugging and freaking out, there isn't the skilled comic reactions from the other actors. Kathleen Freeman could've done it, but she's wasted in this film.

There's a real feeling of laziness. The main characters are wearing clothes from the sixties in a film about the forties. And ASCOT??? In 1943??? I know Lewis has forbidden the viewing of his holocaust movie, The Day the Clown Cried. I think this one belongs in that vault as well.

A Little from Police Squad and a Little from Sledgehammer, 19 January 2016

I like parody. Like pizza, even when parody is mediocre, it is still good enough to consume. I did not have high hopes for this show.

But, I was pleasantly surprised. There was a nice mix of word-play, physical humor and total absurdity. Sure, it seems as if it was derived from David Rasche's SledgeHammer series, down to the superior officer who yells all the time. And, a lot of the gags seems to come directly from the Police Squad series. Making fun of cop shows will give you some overlap.

The character of Angie is funny enough. The running gags of the police dog and the vomiting rookie give you some laugh out loud moments. My recommendation: Watch them in order.

Wild Card (2015)
Not Great. Not Good., 16 November 2015

This is the movie where Jason Statham plays an irritable loner who has killing skills. Unfortunately, he plays a character so unlikeable that it is difficult to sit through. It doesn't even seem like much happens in this movie. I hesitate to recommend a movie that wants us to get to know the personality of someone I really can't stand.

On the other hand, the villains were villainous. The fight scenes were brutal and compelling. If only there hadn't been all that movie to distract from that.

Now, I've enjoyed Statham in other movies. He was fantastic in "Revolver" and a joy to watch in "Snatch"; however, you can't just drop him into a movie and hope that he can save it. He isn't Bill Murray, after all.

Here's hoping Jason Statham didn't lose Guy Ritchie's phone number.

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]