Reviews

22 ReviewsOrdered By: Date
City of Ember (2008)
A huge fan of the book gives his opinion
11 July 2009
I read this book years ago for a school assignment, and it become my favorite. The plot is simple, an underground city where people were sent to be saved from the end of the world and two children find the directions out. Doesn't that sound like a good plot for a NOVEL? Which brings me to my opinion of the anticipated (for me) film adaptation of my favorite book of the year. Being as it is a movie based on the book, there will always be somethings changed. But this one stayed pretty close . . . as I could point out the three or four alterations while viewing the film. I had hoped for this to become a movie for a long time, and I say to you do not listen to the low box office. It is a good film, thought predictable and screams out "There's a novel better than this!" throughout the whole film. For a fan of the novel, it's good.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Surf's Up (2007)
For one of the dozens of penguin movies we have gotten, this one wasn't half bad
17 June 2009
Ever since the documentary "March of the Penguins", studios have sent to us tons of cutesy penguin films to make our eyes bat at the adorable birds. But I do have to admit, this one was okay. Having popular names such as Shia Labouef and John Heder to it, it wasn't something that I could truly hate. CGI was fair, as no company will ever amount to Pixar's work. But throughout all the kiddy and cuteness of this child film, there was an enjoyable movie that took the voice talent and slight dark humor to get out. You won't love it most likely, but parents will at least be entertained while your kid adores this as they will nearly any movie.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A 21st century classic
17 June 2009
Out of all of the movies I've seen and reviewed, this is one of the most hilarious ones I have. It's full of just the random humor I have grown up with, and will be funny for anyone who laughs at just about anything. It's low-budget, mellow, and filled with sudden cracks that will make your cheeks hurt. Like many other comedy films, it doesn't make much sense but this one doesn't really need to. I recommend this to ones that have been told to have a "special" sense of humor, others will likely not enjoy this film nearly as much as me. Don't watch it you are serious, enjoying movies more action or dramas. For Napoleon Dynamite is the most silly, random movie I've ever seen.
Santa Clause 3: The Downhill Spiral
16 June 2009
When I was a child, I was lucky enough to have my father show me the hilarious family movie "Santa Clause". So naturally, when the new one came out I just had to see it. Seeing as the second one wasn't THAT bad, I figured this one would be okay. Well, I was wrong. Santa Clause 3 not only turns the series into a little-kid Christmas tale movie, but shows how unafraid Tim Allen is of ruining his reputation for money. Not very cute, not very funny, and not very fun for anyone but your three year-old. I only pray that Martin Short and the rest of the brilliant actors can get their careers back in order after this film. I recommend this film for no one and hope that your kid doesn't beg you to rent it.
Madagascar (2005)
I like to milk it, milk it
16 June 2009
Madagascar, another attempt to top Pixar in any way that is possible. And out of all the mediocre animated comedies Dreamworks has handed us...this is the one with the most potential. Aside from the first two "Shrek" movies (which actually succeeded in this), Madagascar is the one that didn't quite make it but had the most potential too. Good storyline, lovable characters, good animation, but containing the flaws that other animated films by the company has. Unlike the trailers tell you (explaning the wonder half a million dollar box office world-wide), this film takes a turn for not the better when the last fifty minutes milks the "Move it, Move it" tune and carries out the rest of the film using that. But all in all, it is cute movie and worthy of a spot on your shelf.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sick, tastleess, raunchy, and likable
16 June 2009
If it weren't for the hilarious team of Heder and Will Ferrell, this movie would not have much of a point. But thankfully, we have them...and we are entertained and joyed at their attempt at comedy. I recall seeing this back in 07 with my mother, and her angered at a tasteless reference...while I simply watched laughing at the silly ice skate movie. If you are not a fan of movies that attempt so much laughs that they are stupid, do not watch it. But if you want something that has nothing but constant laughs and doesn't hold back at all to stay family oriented...then you will enjoy this for sure. But something that deserves notice: Do not watch this with a date, parents, siblings, family members, or anyone else that you have a reputation with. And parents, this is not something that will refrain from giving your children many questions. All in all, a funny, raunchy, friend-oriented movie.
As personally not a fan of "Star Wars", I liked it
13 June 2009
My dad has always been undoubtedly a bigger Star Wars fan than I was, and when he wanted me to come see this movie with him I showed up for the popcorn. Star Wars has never exactly been my taste, as none of the other movies really caught my interest. But luckily I was convinced to come to this one, and I was pleasantly surprised by its outcome. With expectations of simply sitting through it, I was entertained by its great storyline and amazing movie effects. It's action-packed, with a little bit of comedy, and an awesome final installment to make any Star Wars fan happy. I recommend this to anyone with a taste for action and adventure, and maybe not even that big of a fan of the series to be honest.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Overrated, but still a good film
10 June 2009
The Dark Knight has won numerous awards since it's release almost a year ago, but in my opinion doesn't exactly deserve the top 250 list. A little too long, lacking an opening, and containing the infamous Batman voice Bale used, this film gets a lot of flaws ignored that some other films would get trashed for. Still, though not the most fantastic film of the summer, it is an enjoyable movie for all and anyone will at least like it. Throughout these mistakes, we are given the fantastic acting of the late Heath Ledger to make up for it, which undoubtedly is one of the best villains we've ever seen. Though overrated, this amazing performance and good story making is sure to entertain. Your Batman fanatic will love it, and you will enjoy it.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good way to wrap it up, but otherwise the least of the three
8 June 2009
If BTTF 3 were not the end, then what would become of this film? Notably lacking the wit of the first one, which had such memorable jokes as the "Tab" conversation. If anything, this is more like a past version of the second one...using aspects the previous film had. The first time you see it will be out of curiosity, the second for your friend to see it, and then I doubt that it will leave your shelf. Lucky for you the DVD comes in a trilogy, so you don't have to buy it just by itself to see this finale of one of the most well-loved time travel films around. All in all, a good way to end it...but a so-so stand alone movie.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good storyline, but lacking that emotional feel the first two gave
8 June 2009
Shrek has been and will most likely always be one of my favorite movies. Being that way, I wanted to see this one more than anyone else I knew. And unfortunately, I was left disappointed at the film. Being the only Dreamworks production that could ever top a Pixar film, Shrek had my standards a little too high for this third installment. The cast was good, containing former SNL players for voice acting, but did absolutely nothing for that soft spot that the previous two movies poked at. Basically, Shrek the Third is just another movie...nothing notable and maybe two things particularly funny and surely will create some kind of money loss for the fourth. Perhaps useful if you wish to kill ninety minutes, but otherwise do not bother.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this