jfgibson73

Page 1 of 42:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Bread makes you fat?, 1 May 2017

Now this was fun. Scott Pilgrim was like Kill Bill mashed up with Crouching Tiger. I was all in right from the beginning, when it looked like it would be a character driven drama. Then, it took a turn into hyper realism and you have to decide you want to go along with the stylistic choices or if you can't handle something this different. Personally, I was ready for different. There was maybe too much fighting and some people will find the main character unlikeable, but I will watch this one back again. Worth borrowing from the library.

Show Them The Fifty States, 1 May 2017

I enjoyed part 2. It was at least as funny as the first one. It followed up on a lot of the gags from the first one as well. Dale does get annoying, but mostly the three work well together. I was glad to see so many of the characters return. So it was a fun sequel, nothing to get excited about, but enjoyable.

Zombieland (2009)
I don't think we're gonna be able to stitch this, 27 April 2017

Zombieland was fine. It didn't blow my socks off or anything, it was something to watch. I'm not a big fan of any of the performers and their work here didn't change that. The script was just good enough that I was able to keep watching, but it never soared. The climax was a zombie shoot out in an amusement park, and I felt like the filmmakers expected they were doing something epic. It was not. I didn't really laugh, although I did appreciate the cameo. Points for everyone for going through with that. Overall, largely forgettable and not one I'll watch again.

One Word: McBride, 22 April 2017

This is one of my favorite comedies. I enjoy it all the way through. The plot is that some friends get trapped in a house during the Apocalypse, but they are all celebrities. Nearly everyone who shows up in this movie is willing to make fun of themselves, some of them in really nasty ways. What really makes this movie for me is Danny McBride. He's kind of playing Kenny Powers here, but that's fine with me. They give him an epic entrance and a great send off, and that's what more movies need to do: show respect to McBride. Treasure him, showcase him, for he is unto us the most hilarious performer working today. But I'm going to say it again, I enjoy every moment of the movie, right up to the satisfying final scene. Worth owning.

Kingpin (1996)
One of the least funny comedies ever made, 22 April 2017

I put off watching this movie for a long time. I'm not sure what I had against it; I guess I assumed it was just some raunchy piece of trash. Well, I decided that was what I was in the mood for, so I gave it a chance. I don't understand how anyone can find this funny. It's mind boggling to me that this is a Farrelly brothers movie it's so tame. People write about it being crude and outrageous, but it was actually one of the most boring movies I've seen in a long time. It's not even edited like a comedy--something feels off the entire running time. Sometimes I'm put off by a movie when it turns out to be something other than what I expected. In this case, it wasn't that my expectations were too high, it was just that I was watching one of the lamest, least entertaining comedies ever put to film.

Well Directed R-rated Comedy, 19 April 2017

I liked Horrible Bosses. I thought it was well written all the way through. I enjoyed the offbeat humor, and there was no down time--it kept going right to the end. I liked all the performances except for maybe Colin Farrell--wasn't sure what they were going for with his character, but didn't get any good lines or memorable moments. It was fun seeing Jennifer Anniston play the aggressor. I've begun to trust that a comedy with Jason Bateman or Jason Sudeikis will be worth my while based on how well they've chosen their roles. Well directed.

Hall Pass (2011)
Above average R-rated comedy, 9 April 2017

I laughed more than I thought I would at this movie, and I enjoyed all the performances. So it exceeded my expectations. It was outrageous enough that I would be willing to watch it again. I liked Christina Applegate and Jenna Elfman in their roles as the exasperated wives. I liked the fact that this movie addresses the male ideal that they could be getting all kinds of young women if they weren't married. Above average.

Charming Disney Comedy, 9 April 2017

People who like Disney's live action comedies and find Dick Van Dyke funny will enjoy this film. Van Dyke carries over half the movie with no one else to play off except a monkey. He then meets a group of island girls and organizes them against a tyrannical chief. It's extremely light hearted and very silly, but it's charm is that it's a product of a different time. No one is making comedies this straightforward in the age of irony.

Never Skimp On Bread, 1 April 2017

The Innkeepers turned out to be a very average ghost story. I enjoyed it most of the way through, despite the slow build. The main characters were interesting enough, and the old creepy building made for a good setting. My biggest problem is how everything was resolved. The main character gets trapped in a basement, and we see the ghost coming towards her. In the next scene, we see that the girl is dead. Now, it was left somewhat open how she died, as the movie gives a clue that the girl was without her inhaler. But if you take it for face value, it looks like the ghost got her. It's never explained why the ghost might be harmful or why it would single out the girl. So that's pretty much it. Slow build, sudden ending. Fine most of the way through.

Marvel Triumphs AGAIN, 22 March 2017

I was never able to finish an issue of a Dr. Strange comic. I would have bet anything that even Marvel Studios would fail at trying to make this character interesting. Turns out, it was a huge hit, and now that I've seen it, I would rank it as one of the more entertaining comic book movies. The visuals were absolutely eye popping, but the story had me 100% invested in seeing how it would turn out. It's also one of the fastest paced movies I've ever seen, moving along at breakneck speed for the first half. It has great action, an interesting main character, and I even like the subject matter, particularly the idea that there are things we don't see all around us unless we can expand our minds. This movie does what all movies ought to aim to do.

Page 1 of 42:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]