PhilauraJ

Star Trek (2009)
Loved the Original stuff - hated this, 26 November 2009

I gave it a three because a few of the actors were spot on recreating their characters. Speaking of which, Since when was James T. Kirk a complete a-hole? This version of the character was despicable and in no way heroic. He was a loud, out-of-control jerk that someone should have smacked around - a lot. I kept wishing someone would kill him off.

The original series had heart and soul. This thing had neither. The original did not have mind blowing effects, but instead had mind blowing things to contemplate. AS far as I'm concerned, the franchise has lost the most important part of what was "Star Trek". I guess that's commercialism at it's finest. For me it had very little going for it with the exception of a few fun performances which weren't enough to keep me seated through the entire thing. I walked out.

Brilliant!!!, 15 March 2009

For the first few minutes I was not following the story very well but the beauty held me captive. The art direction - camera work - graphics held me spellbound. I am not a video game kinda gal, but this film made me see the light. Much of the film is live action - not animated which I was not expecting and a key performance was merely acceptable at best. Others cast members were marvelous. Ricci was at her adorable best. If you enjoy innovation, imagination, creativity outside the box coupled with great action and a lesson worth learning. You should come away from this one glad you ignored the negative hype. If you love that kinda stuff, you will be buying this movie to watch again and again - as I will.

Best Picture?????? Come on!!!!!!, 30 May 2008

I just don't understand the Academy Awards rating system. This movie was such a drag. I tried really hard to appreciate it, but I couldn't find anything to attach myself to in order to stick with it. Everyone was just so dam weird and unlikeable. I couldn't make it to the end to find out if there was a point to this sad character mess. I didn't want to know how it ended. I made it about 3/4 of the way through by telling myself, "any minute now this is going to turn in to a 'Best Picture of the Year' event". It was so slow and so boring and I wasn't even that impressed with Daniel Day Lewis. He was slow and boring. I think Tom Hanks got a raw deal and for that matter, everything about Charlie Wilson's War was better than this one. Certainly Juno had so much more to offer. What exactly are the members of the academy voting on? Certainly not quality entertainment. Guess I'll have to check out the People's Choice Awards this year.

Couldn't take it!, 14 May 2008

Granted my husband and I are not in the "now" generation anymore, but we like to think that we are not that far from it. This movie made us feel totally gonzo. I got a headache trying to stay focused on the screen. The whip pans and cuts were so extreme and messy that we couldn't take more than 30 minutes of it. We tried fast forwarding to "the good parts" and couldn't find any really. I've heard that lots of people were disappointed in the fact that the monster/alien whatever it was, was never explained. I could have dealt with that if there would have been something worth seeing. We never found that something - but then, like I said, we didn't get past 30 minutes or so before we both reached for the off button on the remote and then our favorite pain relievers.

Really Enjoyed It, 1 February 2008

Loved the music, the heart and the optimism of the show. The long line of programs that depend on shock, absurdity and the exploitation of emotionally damaged individuals as their source of holding an audience's attention have run the gamit and tanked - for me anyway. This was very refreshing, hopeful and heartwarming. And man, gotta love Jonny Lee Miller's eyes (this is Laura not Phil speaking here). He's got the look. And I can't wait to see the next episode. Man - ten lines - well, I've seen Jonny in several other projects and always felt he was just this far away from making it big. I think Eli Stone could be the vehicle that finally does it for him. Good luck!

Slither (2006)
Horror not usually my bag but this is well put together, 5 January 2007

I am not a big horror flick fan, however, I did very much enjoy Shawn of the Dead and the original Dawn of the Dead. I checked this out when there was nothing else on and was pleasantly surprised. The acting is quite good and the visuals (makeup/effects) impressive. The story, fairly well thought out and written, even has heart. And though I wouldn't call this film a comedy, it certainly had some great lines and amusing characters. Also a plus for me, though kill scenes are graphic, they are not painful gory in a way that would make me turn away. Instead I was intrigued by the technique and imagination of the artists behind them. Nicely put together B picture that is well worth a watch.

Sideways (2004)
Boring, 10 April 2005

I guess if you are a wine expert you can catch the "in humor". I didn't laugh once. I thought this was a comedy. I can't figure what was so smart about it, unless critics, claiming it to be, are suggesting a vast knowledge of the world of wines is passed on to the viewer. That is undeniably true. There was so much information that I did not care to ever know about wines thrust forth in and unending almost torturous stream that I finally punched the DVD off. Maybe the end of the story brought some insightful point to light and I missed out not having been able to make it all the way through the film. But after 2/3 of the movie I just couldn't wait any longer for something interesting to happen.

THE BEST MOVIE IN YEARS, 10 October 2004

Gotta love this film. I was fortunate enough to see it at at one of the preview screenings. Its striking, original artistic look, its flawless script, the inspiring finale; everything comes together to make the audience laugh and think and shout for Team America - F*&ck Ya! I was ready to see it again as I walked out of the theater. My teenage years are far behind me.

I rarely go out to theaters to see a film but I will probably be in line again on opening night for this one. Concerned about the political leanings? Don't be. No one gets off the hook in this film - right or left. We ALL get to laugh at each other and of course our beloved action films. Matt and Trey are the voice of side splitting reason during a time when not much around us makes sense. I love them dearly. Thanks guys!

Hellboy (2004)
The First Comic book Hero Turned Movie Star the I've Liked, 4 August 2004

First let me say that I am not a comic book fan. I don't even read the Sunday comics. On the other hand, my husband is/does. So consequently I have suffered through most of these films for his sake. I can't say there's a single one that I really enjoyed. The characters are so two dimensional, as I guess they are suppose to be. But that leaves me cold. Anyway, it was my husband's birthday so I got him "Hellboy" and sat through it. I was surprised. I found myself smiling throughout. I smiled because I enjoyed the one liners. I smiled because I was touched by Ron Pearlman's wonderful portrayal of Hellboy and I smiled because I loved looking at that sword wielding villain, his fantastic costume design and beautifully choreographed moves. I smiled because I loved the Amphibian creature with his sideways blinking eyes and his Niles Crane voice and I smiled because they tried to put a message worth thinking about at the end. I would have to confess I didn't hate this one - okay, maybe I even liked it.

Just - not good, 23 July 2004

With all the great movies that came out in 2003, I find it hard to believe that this film was rated so high. Tim Robbins was pretty darn weird, so I give him credit where acting credit is due, but the film is depressing all the way through for starters. I'm not certain that I "liked" any of the characters in the story. The plot was a tired rehash of so many others. The ending was very unsatisfying. What more can I say. I think you get the gist of my opinion. I wish "Master and Commander" would have been on Pay Per View as I had hoped in the time slot that I had designated for movie watching, then I wouldn't have settled for "Mystic" and probably wouldn't have felt that I wasted the evening and my $3.99. Guess I'll make that trip to the video store next time. It's times like these that I'm convinced it's worth it.