Reviews

41 ReviewsOrdered By: Date
Creep (I) (2014)
Creep is creepy
9 May 2016
I was bored through most of this film, but the knowledge of a previous good review of it, and the film's plot unpredictability, kept me watching.

The ending was stunning.

Worth the wait for me and maybe for you.

It was an affirmation of my understanding of human nature, which is based on reality and not religious or political idealism.

In a world layered with multi-levels of different kinds of BS, we must not lose sight of the fact that there is a wolf inside use, and in some of us more than others.

Beware of the wolf!
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Room (I) (2015)
Room shows that living in one room all the time is boring
8 May 2016
This movie has appeal, mainly to women and feminine types, based only on emotion.

The strength and devotion of the mother toward her child is well portrayed, however, and the boy does a great job of acting like a spoiled and over-protected child. The mother's love in spoiling the boy, given the terrible circumstances, is quite loving and appropriate though.

The movie is boring as would be living in a small room for 5 years without ever going out. That is the essence of this film.

Naturally the critics, and those with more emotion than intellect, are gushing over it.

Watch it and find out if I am wrong.
14 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Saul fia (2015)
Son of Saul evokes mixed feelings
7 May 2016
An excellent production depicting the grim reality of Hitler's concentration camps, focusing on the story of Saul, an inmate seeking some return to normal human existence in the context of his horrible life and soon impending death.

I couldn't help thinking that Saul was nuts (which is true) in his totally futile, and compulsively driven, quest for a return to normalcy in his life. Particularly when this nutty behavior on Saul's part compromised the efforts of the other inmates to deal with their terrible situation in a rational matter that offered some real hope instead of Saul's delusionally and emotionally based actions that were totally empty acts.

The conflict here is between rational attempts toward success as demonstrated by the other inmates as a group, and Saul's impeding their efforts with his individual selfish and psychotic actions that only provide for his temporary emotional (but no real lasting) fulfillment.

Not sure why the critics, or anyone else, loved this one.
20 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sikeurit Gadeun (2010–2011)
Secret Garden is both fun romantic comedy and melodrama
10 March 2014
I much enjoy a romantic melodrama in the min-series format that develops a main single story from beginning to end, though with some related parallel sub-plots along the way. The basic melodrama is the oft repeated formula: Boy meets Girl, Boy loses Girl, Boy gets Girl Back. This may recur in the same story.

However, the following caveats must be considered by the USA viewer: They are subtitled and some people hate this. The South Korean cultural norms, values and sanctions may sometimes seems silly or old fashioned to the USA viewer. The families are close knit and decisions by an individual may be subject to family approval. Social distance is maintained where formal speech is used, and personal speech forms are reserved for close friends or family. There is a strong work ethic and community cooperation/unity - sometimes reminiscence of a old Frank Capra film.

Most importantly, in order for the sometimes complicated sub-plots to work, people fail to communicate with each other as might be expected, keeping many in the dark as to what others are doing, and this leads to misunderstandings and error judgments of some people, that sometimes seem to be unlikely by USA cultural standards. The viewer may wonder at times why good but trusting people are so easily manipulated and deceived by bad and selfish people, but con artists do often succeed (just look at politicians for example). However this poetic license of improbability is needed to develop the story - just accept it as occurring even though unlikely at times. Taking these factors into account will help you become involved and emotionally engrossed. It was hard for me to quit watching at times so I often binged watched more than one episode at a time.

I would rank these as follows but tastes differ and your rankings might not agree: 1 - 4 (hard to say which is best)

12. The Great Doctor

Secret Garden is a romantic comedy as well as melodrama, and interplays the two quite well. We see a transformation in the male lead from a rich, self-centered upper-class snob, unable to love others, into a regular guy ('human' as the South Koreans label it) able to relate emphatically and love. The female lead puts the snob down, even beating him up when he deserves it, which makes for great fun. This theme is also featured in "Protect the Boss", another South Korean TV mini-series that is not reviewed by me.
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Yeoineui Hyanggi (2011– )
Romantic melodrama dealing with serious issues
25 February 2014

However, the following caveats must be considered by the USA viewer:

12. The Great Doctor

The Scent of a Woman develops fully, sometimes at slow pace for some viewers, in unfolding its story. In the second half of this 16 episode series, the emotional fireworks set in. Some serious issues of love are dealt with in a valid manner. This series is perhaps more modern, organized, coherent, and plausible than others that are ranked above, which is a plus for some viewers.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lie to Me - fun romance story
20 February 2014

The basic melodrama is the oft repeated formula: Boy meets Girl, Boy loses Girl, Boy gets Girl Back. This me recur in the same story. Human relations can be complex even if only the boy and girl are involved, but this complexity increases as more people are involved. If personality dynamics are properly depicted in a valid manner, and if the production is skillful, powerful emotions can be evoked in the viewer. In this way we can live many lifetimes through movies, in our one lifetime - greatly enriching our incarnate experience. These South Korean productions (seen on Netflix streaming) are first class with excellent production and direction, some terrific casting and acting (particularly from some of the females who give some matchless world class performances), brilliant musical accompaniment, and staging. What makes these so good is the way they skillfully evoke deep emotion in the viewer. South Korean movie making is superb - world class.

However, the following caveats must be considered by the USA viewer. They are subtitled and some people hate this. The South Korean cultural norms, values and sanctions may sometimes seems silly or old fashioned to the USA viewer. The families are close knit and decisions by an individual may be subject to family approval. Social distance is maintained where formal speech is used, and personal speech forms are reserved for close friends or family. There is a strong work ethic and community cooperation/unity - sometimes reminiscence of a old Frank Capra film.

Most importantly, in order for the sometimes complicated sub-plots to work, people fail to communicate with each other as might be expected, keeping many in the dark as to what others are doing, and this leads to misunderstandings and error judgments of some people, that sometimes seem to be unlikely by USA cultural standards. The viewer may wonder at times why good but trusting people are so easily manipulated and deceived by bad and selfish people, but con artists do often succeed (just look at politicians for example). However this poetic license of improbability is needed to develop the story - just accept it as occurring even though unlikely at times. Taking these factors into account Will help you become involved and emotionally engrossed. It was hard t for me to quit watching at times so I binged watched.

12. The Great Doctor

Lie To Me is a fun romantic story that shows how an innocent lie can get out of control with complicated and wide-ranging effects. This is the premise of Chaos theory - a small and relatively insignificant event can expand into a large complex of effects that are totally unpredictable considering the origin - commonly depicted as a butterfly flaps its wings and the end result is a storm on the other side of the world (a somewhat misleading analogy but it illustrates the idea). Well done as is typical of these South Korean TV mini-series
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Seonduk yeowang (2009– )
The Great Queen is great fun
17 February 2014

12. The Great Doctor

The Great Queen Seondeok is mainly a historical/political melodrama depicting the struggle of opposing (good vs. evil) factions. One faction is lead by a ruthless Machivellian leader (Mishil) representing government control both of government officials and citizens, based on manipulating them with fear. The other faction has a good leader who wants power and freedom to shift from government to the people (control by their choice instead of governmental dictates, ownership of land by farmers instead of tenant farmers working for the rich), and who appeals to the hope and good nature of others. Another theme is women's rights in a male dominated world. There is action, comedy relief, love, hate, revenge, subversion - all the elements of a good historical melodrama.

Mishal is the evil leader and features a stunning performance. The most colorful character is Bidam, who like Mishal, is a complex character and brilliantly portrayed. Bidam is introduced after the series has gone on for some time, as a country bumpkin who is easily underestimated by others. In one scene he picks his nose and then puts it in his mouth, which tainted his image in my mind. This series at times offers some brilliant psychological insights, such as Mishil saying "Humans can not live without believing in fantasy", as in liberal idealism (world peace, income equality without degrading the economy, big government that works efficiently, etc.) that can never be achieved. The ending is quite powerful, emphasizing the loneliness of a ruler of a nation.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Shinui (2012– )
Great fun
12 February 2014
Fassbinder's Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980) was a long movie - over 15 hours long. The Thornbirds, Roots and other early TV mini-series were long movies broken into consecutive episodes. I love a mini-series as a melodrama that tells a story in the long movie format, as opposed to those that tell different stories in the same setting (like Grey's Anatomy, Mad Men and to a lesser extent Damages, Breaking Bad, and Revenge that change the story at times while keeping to a general story). In this regard, I have discovered some gems in the South Korean TV mini-series of recent years.

12. The Great Doctor

Like Rooftop Prince and Dr. Jin, The Great Doctor has a fantasy premise - a warrior General experiences time travel from the past to the present day and then back to his past. Then a political struggle and suspenseful turns is a background for romantic melodrama, with some fantasy aspects thrown into the mix. Time travel is rare but has been reported by reputable people. See J. Randles book, Time Slips, for more on this. Accept the fantasy and enjoy the fun.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dr. Jin (2012– )
Romantic melodrama with a fantasy premise in a historical political struggle context
12 February 2014

Most importantly, in order for the sometimes complicated sub-plots to work, people fail to communicate with each other as might be expected, keeping many in the dark as to what others are doing, and this leads to misunderstandings and error judgments of some people, that sometimes seem to be unlikely by USA cultural standards. The viewer may wonder at times why good but trusting people are so easily manipulated and deceived by bad and selfish people, but con artists do often succeed (just look at politicians for example). However this poetic license of improbability is needed to develop the story - just accept it as occurring even though unlikely at times. Taking these factors into account Will help you become involved and emotionally engrossed. It was hard for me to quit watching at times so I binged watched.

12. The Great Doctor

Like Rooftop Prince and The Great Doctor, Dr. Jin has a fantasy premise - a Chief Resident Surgeon experiences time travel from the present day to the past. Basically a romantic melodrama in the context of political struggles and suspense. Time travel is rare but has been reported by reputable people. See J. Randles book, Time Slips, for more on this. Accept the fantasy and enjoy the fun.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun, fantasy and melodrama
12 February 2014

The basic melodrama is the oft repeated formula: Boy meets Girl, Boy loses Girl, Boy gets Girl Back. This me recur in the same story. Human relations can be complex even if only the boy and girl are involved, but this complexity increases as more people are involved. If personality dynamics are properly depicted in a valid manner, and if the production is skillful, then powerful emotions can be evoked in the viewer. In this way we can live many lifetimes through movies, in our one lifetime - greatly enriching our incarnate experience.

Secret Garden

12. The Great Doctor

Rooftop Prince has a fantasy premise - a Prince and his immediate staff experience time travel into the present day from the past. Then it becomes a mixture of melodrama and fun. Time travel is rare but has been reported by reputable people. See J. Randles book, Time Slips, for more on this. Accept the fantasy and enjoy the fun.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this