LuboLarsson

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Great action film, 15 August 2010

As we all know The Expendables has an amazing cast of Action stars led by arguably the greatest action star of all time and if Stallone isn't that guy the other one makes a cameo appearance. Of course I'm talking about Arnold Schwarzenegger who makes a brief appearance with Bruce Willis in a scene many action fans never would have dreamt possible. My only problem with this movie is perhaps it has too many stars which means each one has too little time to make an impact. Jason Statham gets the most screen time bar Stallone and he is excellent, Jet Li has less impact but has a great fight with Dolph Lundgren who I have to say proves that he really should be on the big screen more often. Stone Cold Steve Austin also makes a fabulous bad guy and the rest of the team get brief chances to shine. Mickey Rourke also shows what an incredible actor he is even with less than stellar script to work from. Stallone really is truly back on top now and I hope that if Expendables 2 does happen he works a little more on the script and story. What truly saves this film is the astonishing last half hour or so of action and that is really what most of us turned up to see. Highly recommended for action fans. 8 out of 10

Seagal vs Caine, 9 January 2010

This movie is generally the one that Seagal haters will use to beat him with. There is no doubt that Seagal has a huge ego and he indulges himself greatly here in his first directorial movie. He was coming off his biggest hit in Under Siege and he used his new status to make a movie with a message that was obviously important to him. I'll admit whilst I can see how people would hate this movie I actually find a lot to like about it. A great cast headed by the superb Michael Caine, great score by Basil Poledouris and stunning scenery make this a worthwhile and fun watch for me. Yes the story is ridiculous and the ecological message is rammed down your throat especially with the speech at the end but I find it funny that Al Gore was praised for delivering basically the same message that Seagal delivered years before! if you don't like Seagal then avoid this movie if you are a fan you will probably appreciate the fact that he tried to something different for action movie fans.

A Dangerous Man (2009) (V)
Solid effort from Seagal, 5 January 2010

I don't think Seagal fan's will be disappointed with this one. Bearing in mind it's DTV it would be unfair to compare it to the likes of Under Siege and Exit Wounds but its definitely one his better efforts from the last ten or so years. Lots of action in this one and well done to for the quality of the gun fights. Seagal packs in quite a few brutal fist fights too. The story although perhaps a little bit more complicated than it needed to be moves along at a good pace. Byron Mann who teamed up with Seagal previously in Belly of the Beast and also appeared in Sniper 3 with Tom Berenger makes a good bad guy but he is perhaps a little underused. Recommended for Seagal fans.

Average, 24 November 2009

I don't think Star Trek V is quite as bad as some on here would make out. I have seen some rate it one out of ten, that is just silly. It is however a huge disappointment after the fantastic second and third parts of the series. I would also blame Paramount's decision to try and make a Star Trek movie on the cheap rather than William Shatner who directed it. Although Shatner has to take some of the blame for the poor storyline as he co-wrote it. I also never thought I would see such poor SFX in a Star Trek movie. In amongst all the dodgy effects and poor jokes there is some good stuff here, I liked the camping scenes at the start as Kirk, Spock and Bones spent shore leave together, some of the Star Trek magic is still apparent here. Also Jerry Goldsmith once again creates a great score for the movie. Sadly however the film slowly headed towards its lacklustre ending. Thankfully the original crew got a much better film to end on with Star Trek VI.

Driven to Kill (2009) (V)
Seagal is Driven to Kill....again and again, 21 July 2009

This is easily one of Seagal's better DTV efforts. Its on a par with Urban Justice but not as good as Belly of the Beast. To compare it to his earlier movies would be unfair as he makes much smaller budget movies these days. First off if you are a veteran of Seagal films of the last ten or so years you can tell if he cares about the movie or not and he certainly seems to be putting a bit of effort into this one. No body doubles of bad dubbing in this which is good. The story is very generic, a basic revenge movie. Not unlike the movies Charles Bronson made when he was a similar age to Seagal now. The action scenes are well done with some good shoot outs and fist and knife fights. The acting is a little hit and miss although the bad guy who will be familiar to people who seen the awful Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull was very good. So worth a rent on a Friday night but i really wish Hollywood would give Seagal another big budget action movie. Hell lets get another Under Siege movie out before its too late.

Terrible sequel, 22 June 2009

Awful follow up to the fantastic Smokey and the Bandit this movie surely marks the beginning of Reynolds downfall as the Worlds number one movie star. Everything about this needless sequel is lazy, the story is poor the actors look uninterested and jokes are recycled from the first film. Burt's character doesn't even seem to be the same care free guy we loved in the first and Sally Field looks like she may have regretted appearing in this. In real life Reynolds and Field had broken up so maybe thats why the film has a depressing feeling all the way through it. Jerry Reed and Jackie Gleason aren't too bad but they have nothing to work with here the director seems only to interested in how many cars and smashes he can show on screen at the same time. Has no-one noticed that car stunts are not made more exciting by simply multiplying the amount and adding more and more cars? If anything its boring. I can appreciate car stunts, there was some great stuff in the first one and in other Reynolds movies like Hooper but by now it had run its course. Avoid this movie even if you loved the first.

Jason takes centre stage, 2 February 2009

*** MAJOR SPOILERS *** After Jason's startling appearance at the end of the first Friday the 13th he takes over where his mother left off in this great sequel to the horror classic. Friday the 13th Part 2 is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine, its by no means great film making but its sure as hell an entertaining slasher movie. A new camp has opened near Camp Blood from the original and Jason Voorhees is after the blood of the councillor's and teenagers that have arrived for the summer. Its all very unoriginal and its the usual mix of teenagers smoking dope and having sex and being bumped off one by one by the hooded (no hockey mask yet) serial killer. What lifts this above the usual slasher fare is some inventive kills and some great "jump" scenes. I actually also think Jason looks better with the hood than the hockey mask, it looks more chilling to me somehow. The acting bar the main couple is the usual Friday the 13th standard i.e amateurish but Amy Steel makes a very strong heroine arguably the best of the series. The last twenty minutes of the movie is an incredibly tense and exciting chase scene and has some of the best moments of the entire franchise. Recommended for horror fans.

He-Man hits the big screen, 6 December 2008

I remember this movie was a pretty big deal when it came out in 1987. He-Man was a hugely popular cartoon in the 80's and when it was announced the were making a movie version of it many a kid must have been very excited to see it at the cinema. The result sadly is a bit average, first of all the action takes place on Earth for 90 per cent of the movie. It would have worked so much better if they kept it on He-Mans home world of Etarnia. Also a very popular character from the cartoon "Orco" was missing and replaced by a slightly annoying little creature called Gwildor played by the great Billy Barty. Both of these decisions were due to budget problems (this movie was made by Cannon films after all) but a Kid who was a huge fan of the cartoon is bound to be slightly annoyed at this. Still credit where credit is due they certainly tried to offer up a big Star Wars type spectacle but it didn't quite work out. More positives were that Dolph made a pretty good but not very talkative He-Man and Langella makes a great scenery chewing Skeletor but you can't help see this movie as a missed opportunity.

One of the best Halloween's, 13 July 2008

This is easily one of the better Halloween movies. Its nowhere near as good as the original but is a definite step up from parts two and three. As the title clearly states Michael Myers is back on the rampage despite being shot twice in the eyes and set on fire in Halloween 2, don't you just love how horror films can always find a way to bring the bad guys back. The film starts well building an eerie atmosphere but its not long before Michael is back to his killing ways. As usual Dr Loomis is not far behind played as ever by the slightly over the top but excellent Donald Pleasence. Michael is of course heading back to Haddonfield to kill Jamie the daughter of the now deceased Laurie Strode from the first two Halloween movies, luckily for us Danielle Harris who plays Jamie is a superior child actress and not annoying in any way like so many characters in slasher movies are, her step sister is trying to protect her and is played well by Ellie Cornell. I feel the makers of this movie managed to make the main characters likable enough for us to care about them as Michael Myers stalks them later in the film. There are some nice moments of suspense and some suitably gory kills but at no time did I feel this film got close to matching John Carpenters original, they did however create a valid and entertaining movie which is all I expect from the fourth part of a slasher series, check out some of the later Friday the 13th movies to see how bad these films can get or later parts of this very series. All in all Halloween fans will thoroughly enjoy this instalment of the long running franchise.

Good but not great, 8 July 2008

First of all I would like to say I enjoyed Diary of the Dead it was a good way to spend an hour and a half. My only problem with the movie is that I expected a little more from a George A Romero Zombie film. I am not a huge Romero fan in fact I would say I only became a fan of his Zombie films in the last ten or so years. I am however a huge fan of the original Dawn of the Dead and I can't help but compare this film with it just as I did Land of the Dead. Sadly Diary of the Dead is no Dawn of the Dead but I don't think Romero intended it to be. It has a rough quickly made feel to it and the whole hand held camera view point is interesting but it has been done a few times now and is getting a bit stale. What Diary has going for it is some very inventive and fun ways to kill Zombies, the special effects are great and I was amused just as much as I was repulsed by the gory death scenes. Whilst I liked and cared for the characters in Dawn and Day of the Dead I never particularly cared for any of the students in this film and the actors reactions to friends and families becoming Zombies was unconvincing. The Professor came across as the most convincing character to me but the rest were merely walking Zombie food. Still all in all a pretty good movie but an average Romero Zombie movie.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]