kubrickation

(1963)
8 1/2's autobiographical aspect, 8 December 2004

Ozjeppe-

You're right-this is a self-absorbed film. But name me one film that isn't.

8 1/2 is highly autobiographical and is relentless in its reflection of Fellini's life. 8 1/2 is essentially a film about a director who cannot finish his film, MADE by Fellini, a filmmaker who also was having trouble making a film. However, if you think this is ONLY about Fellini, you're mistaken. No great film can be "great" without saying something (whatever that may be) about life itself. This is no different. Don't tell me that you've never wished to go back to being a young child, surrounded by love and lack of expectation and responsibility! Don't tell me that you've never wanted to pool every character in your life together and make sense of the whole thing. Don't pretend that your world doesn't mean everything to you. And finally, don't hold all of these things that you've experienced yourself against Fellini simply because he made a film asserting it. And how many men (and women) in the world can honestly say they wouldn't love to have multiple lovers knowing of each other and GETTING ALONG? This is a film about the human condition, about memories and fantasies, and about our need to flee to these when reality is too much.

Similar to some of Lynch's earlier work, 14 April 2002

The film is also hauntingly reminiscent of 'Twin Peaks.' I used to watch the show all the time and then it got taken off the air or something. But a lot of the same sound distortions, character attributes, etc are employed in this film. This film is how I truly see Lynch-I loved 'The Straight Story' and 'The Elephant Man,' but the way I see him is the 'Twin Peaks,' 'Blue Velvet,' and now 'Mulholland Drive' David Lynch...which, I think, is even pretty different from the direction that is seen in 'Lost Highway.' Honestly...Mulholland is my favorite of his films because it so remarkably channels the brilliance and magic that made me love 'Twin Peaks.'