jflizard

Fury (2014)
A feeling of void and incompleteness, 30 January 2015

In first place I have to say that the current rate (7.7) is ridiculously high and therefore this is a highly overrated movie which should not have much more than a 6...

I was expecting much about this movie, since Brad Pitt usually has a good choice in movies he participates in, but how I was wrong in this case!

The movie's first half develops the story a little bit, introducing a young soldier who doesn't want to be there, and the path which leads him to be a real soldier, but even then I could not stop thinking that I've seen this before, and the sense of "deja-vu" doesn't stop there and kept me haunting on and on. I won't mention much of what are this "deja-vu" scenes, there are many reviews around which talk about them, but I couldn't stop being disappointed because I was expecting much more from Fury. The character development is poor and until the end of the movie I was expecting to know a bit more about those 5 soldiers on Fury, specially sergeant Wardaddy which the character is clearly "lost" in depth. I was also expecting some realistic war scenes but most of the battle situations are ridiculous, not only on the way they end, but on the way they start...

Although the action scenes are good - improbable but good - although the acting is nice, it all feels void, and in the end I could felt that this was just a movie and actors acting well, but not something to be taken seriously, specially the last battle which on a real situation would result on a quick defeat and very low casualties for the highly specialized German SS troops.

Overall this has to be considered as a poor movie, currently highly overrated on IMDb.

A cute movie, 9 February 2012

The thing about rating movies is that we tend to give absolute values and by doing so, we could never give a '9' rate to a movie like this because a '9' should be given to something like a masterpiece, which this is definitively not. Short Circuit is part of my youth, I've seen it when I was 13 years old and I simply loved it. It brings some cute ideas from ET, in the shape of a very funny robot that is brought to life (and given human thoughts) after being struck by a lightning. The whole story is very cute, I cannot judge the flaws or the glitches here and there because the target is mainly young people who couldn't care less about those things - and mostly, the ones that you may get to see aren't important. I'm also not judging the actors that much, they do their job just right, in a story that goes around "Number 5" or "Johnny 5". So after all, I decided to give it a '9' because I feel that this movie has been a bit underrated, probably because most people who are rating it didn't see it in the right time, and yes, 26 years later it's not the same thing... But if you haven't seen it, and are curious about it, please watch it like you are 12 or 13 years old!

Eden Lake (2008)
Shocking but predictable, 15 December 2011

I've read several reviews of this movie before writing mine, and I kinda tend to agree with all of them, but only in parts.

This movie is cruel, sadistic, and sometimes makes you feel sick. I don't like horror movies and I believe that many people got disappointed because it is not a regular horror movie. Scenes tend to be realistic, with situations that could really happen (this is the good part), but the idea behind making the plot realistic is ruined by some awful unrealistic situations, that many people have already talked about. So, in one hand, you have wounded people, blood, knifes, accidents, cruelty, and on the other hand you can never stop thinking "why would anyone stay there after being provoked by a bunch of punks that were really determined to bring problems". The bluetooth scene is idiotic, and well, the last 10 minutes of the movie really spoil everything, with the usual "if anything can go wrong, it goes wrong". Get a lift by the killer's brother, having an accident in front of a house that happens to be the killer's house and well, you see the picture.

There are good things about it too, scary moments, moments where you feel sorry for the main characters, the violence scenes are realistic, the acting is reasonably good (even the kids)...

This movie has no messages, it is not supposed to have, it doesn't have any kind of moral because it is not supposed to have. It is scary at times as it's supposed to be... but it has some idiotic moments that makes you want to laugh. Thing is, you won't laugh because even if the story is not realistic, it's violence is.

Torque (2004)
In the end my jaw was hurting, 3 March 2011

A movie about motorcycles. Modern motorcycles. I like motorcycles a lot (actually I own two), but my first though was "well, this is going to be bad" - and I thought that because I felt that it would bring some urban myths and folklore about what's the world around motorcycles. And yes it did. Violence, drugs, illegal activities, street racing, every single bad myth about motorcycles is there, along with bad acting, very bad acting! The plot is terrible, predictable, impossible things happen all the time (the way they hide when being pursued in the desert is truly astonishing!), the way they drive in top of a train made me laugh really loud, well in fact most of the time they were driving I was laughing!! By the end of the movie (well, I guess I forgot immediately how it ended), I just felt a relief because my jaw was hurting. I give it 2 points because there are beautiful motorcycles and some hot girls there, and because there is a movie called "Supidomassuta" that is even worse than this one!

Just for fun, but not much of it!, 26 January 2010

I saw this movie only because I own a Mazda RX7 FC3S, which is the car of the movie hero, a very low profile and little talk guy that somewhere in the story beats the crap out of 5 or 6 guys with a backpack. Cool huh? Well, there is not much to say about such an idiotic plot, with annoying characters (yes this is one of those movies where you cannot identify yourself a single bit with a character!) - the bad guy is the best of them all, not because he is interesting, but because it's so idiotic that you feel like smiling each time he appears on the screen. The races are all CGI and you can only see a little bit of real car driving when the anti-hero is driving to the always expected final race. Overall I give 1 star because the best part of the movie is about 30 seconds when a CGI effect shows the rotary engine working from the inside. I am glad I could skip most of the movie :)

Great visual movie, not so good storyline, BUT..., 12 May 2007

It's not unusual that people comment on a movie like they're looking for mistakes in the plot, or searching very deep for the weakest points in it, just to give a so-so-rating. Spiderman is one of those kinds of movies... It has some weak points, the story sometimes seems to forget one or other character, and then in the end they all come together like it was so natural. The sandman isn't such a bad guy but seems to be a bit too violent for a person who is just trying to save it's kid... a bit greedy isn't him? And if he's not a killer, why'd he agree to kill spiderman so easily?... OK, you can add lots of other bad things in the plot, you'll find'em, but isn't it supposed to be an entertaining movie? Yes, and to put the bad guys together Eddie, wearing the black suit finds the sandman in a blink and make in an allie in less than 5 seconds!! Besides that, and concentrating on the action itself, Spiderman 3 has a very good pace, and most of the situations happen in a "natural" way, entertaining a lot (which is it's main purpose). The special effects are great, lots of CGI of course, but even that is getting better and better, and now Spiderman jumps and action seems more real than ever! That was one of the reasons I went to watch the movie! The black suit is really nice and it was a really good story to pick from (will it return? there is a little sample on the laboratory where Parker left it to be analyzed)...

I am Spiderman fan since I was a kid, although I stop reading the comics long ago, but this movie is probably the best in the series, mainly because it's superb special effects and CGI. Because of that, all the weak points aren't enough to say "it's not a good movie"...

Spider-Man 3 (2007) (VG)
Great visual effects make it entertaining, 12 May 2007

It's not unusual that people comment on a movie like they're looking for mistakes in the plot, or searching very deep for the weakest points in it, just to give a so-so-rating. Spiderman is one of those kinds of movies... It has some weak points, the story sometimes seems to forget one or other character, and then in the end they all come together like it was so natural. The sandman isn't such a bad guy but seems to be a bit too violent for a person who is just trying to save it's kid... a bit greedy isn't him? And if he's not a killer, why'd he agree to kill spider man so easily?... OK, you can add lots of other bad things in the plot, you'll find'em, but isn't it supposed to be an entertaining movie? Yes, and to put the bad guys together Eddie, wearing the black suit finds the sandman in a blink and make in an allie in less than 5 seconds!! Besides that, and concentrating on the action itself, Spiderman 3 has a very good pace, and most of the situations happen in a "natural" way, entertaining a lot (which is it's main purpose). The special effects are great, lots of CGI of course, but even that is getting better and better, and now Spiderman jumps and action seems more real than ever! That was one of the reasons I went to watch the movie! The black suit is really nice and it was a really good story to pick from(will it return? there is a little sample on the laboratory where Parker left it to be analyzed)... I a Spiderman fan since I was a kid, although I stop reading the comics long ago, but this movie is probably the best in the series, mainly because it's superb special effects and CGI. Because of that, all the weak points aren't enough to say "it's not a good movie"...

Don't take it too seriously... it's a comedy after all, 3 May 2007

Some people say "it's the worst movie I've ever seen" and I think "how lucky they are!!"... I find this movie as being a complete riot of gags and funny situations, with many pervert lines and lack respect for puritan viewers. I like that. It has sexual content, it jokes with hilness, it has bad-taste jokes!!! Great! I like it because of that: makes it different. Jim Carey has again some great moments, mainly the way he changes it's facial expressions when he turns into Hank. Those moments are the greatest parts of the movie and by no means he's doing a worse job than usual.

See it with open mind, and take it easy on the more shocking moments. They're just fooling around.