Fast Five (2011)
If you like ACTION Movies ..., 21 May 2011

this is for you!

Great car scenes and fights! Okay story line and BEAUTIFUL shots of Rio de Janeiro throughout. See one of the world's most picturesque cities from a vantage point not often seen.

The final "chase scene" is one to behold, as a large vault is dragged though the streets and the last twist makes it all memorable.

If you tend to not like the nonsensical and unbelievable look for another movie, but as I said IF action is what you seek, go see Fast Five! It's also good if you're familiar with the storyline from it's previous releases and be prepared for Fast Six!

True Grit (2010)
My Favorite Western EVER!, 21 May 2011

I loved this movie and Hailee Steinfeld who played Mattie Ross. I was disappointed she didn't win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress, but believe her day will come.

Her's was an amazing performance and she owned that character! I especially enjoyed her wit and quick tongue throughout. Entertaining dialog! All the actors were outstanding and Jeff Bridges' Rooster Cogburn BETTER than Wayne's. I know I'm stepping on Americana here, but that's how I feel. Wayne's iconic image overwhelms his acting ability in my opinion. Let's get with the new millennium people!

Matt Damon and the bad guys, all great casting! The story holds your attention and is believable. A daughter seeking revenge for the murder of her father and the characters that make it all come together.

I'm not a huge fan of Westerns but grew up watching many of them. This is by-far my favorite of the genre and certainly among my favorites of all-time behind the likes of "It's a Wonderful Life" and "The King's Speech"

Dogma (1999)
Dogma Was a Dog!, 10 February 2006

To each his own of course. Everyone has an opinion and various likes and dislikes and I won't argue the right of others to find this the ultimate entertainment experience. The reason hence that one man's junk is another's treasure.

But to call this movie "Ambitious"? "Funny"? "Aggressively Intelligent"? Sorry, but unlike those enlightened souls who found this a ten-star hit, I guess I just didn't "get it." In my opinion, this film has to be among the worse movies I've *ever* seen! Right up there with "Natural Born Killers." Maybe you have to be a Catholic or at least a Kevin Smith fan, maybe there are a lot more deep thinkers out there than myself, but I doubt that. Maybe it satisfies people's thirst to a free and easy lifestyle without the chains of organized religion to keep 'em down, but I personally found Dogma a complete waste of my time and money! For the reasons why I refer you to kookytree's better written than I could comments on this site dated 7 October 2003.

To my way of thinking, this project is proof positive that not even a great cast can redeem a stinker. If I were Ben Afleck or Matt Damon, I'd be embarrassed!

My all-time favorite!, 17 December 2001

I love this movie and it's a Christmas tradition to watch it with as many of my five kids as I can get together. It has helped me through some pretty tough times.

As a young boy in the 50s and 60s I grew up watching old movies on television with my mother. Jimmy Stewart has always been my favorite actor, not in any small measure because of this movie. It was my mother's fondness for him that initially led me to this great discovery. Having my own roots in a small community of western Pennsylvania, only 60 miles from Jimmy's hometown, helped to cement my affinity for him as well. I'm such a big fan of both him and this work that a copy of an original poster for this film hangs in my living room.

One of my greatest regrets is that, despite my exposure to what were even then "old" movies during my youth, I hadn't yet seen "It's a Wonderful Life" when I had the opportunity of meeting both director Frank Capra AND actor Jimmy Stewart on separate occasions while in college. I would have liked to have told them how much the movie meant to me. (As if they hadn't heard that before!) I found great pleasure in later learning that both Capra and Stewart said of all their movies, this one was their favorite.

Moving and inspiring the film is a human drama that touches my funny bone and my innermost senses in ways few movies ever do. It's an all-American classic with a message of personal struggle and hope. In all it's simplicity it is simply great entertainment while at the same time leaving us no doubt as to the essential truth of what's *really* important in life.

Yes it's a bit sappy, certainly sentimental. Yes it's in black and white (unless you happen to see the "colorized " version) and granted it's an "oldie," but if you don't like this movie I can only have pity for you.

We all matter. We all have purpose. Despite what we might think at times, it IS a wonderful life and we have much to be thankful for.

"Each man's life touches so many other lives. If he wasn't around, it would leave an awful hole." -- Clarence

At least that's the way we should all live and hope it shall be.