gjhong

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Kick-Ass 2 (2013)
politically incorrect fun, 22 August 2013

I enjoyed the first Kick-Ass movie and I enjoyed Kick-Ass 2 just as much. I've read a lot of comic books but I don't expect movies to follow them exactly so the movie was good on its own merits. What I hope from a movie is the characters act reasonably given who they are. Kick-Ass is still a comic book fan so it makes sense he wants to join a super-hero team. In reality it is best to operate as an anonymous hit-man so police don't get too interested but then there would be no movie. The Chris D'Amico character was hilarious. He also thinks in comic book terms unlike his Uncle Ralph who is a real mobster. So he comes up with ridiculous ideas like Dr. Evil. I also liked Night Bitch. Obviously someone who is there for fan-service. Did you see her Night Bitch Justice Forever recruitment video? I didn't recognize Lindy Booth who was assistant Claudia in Relic Hunter.

If you like politically incorrect, foul-mouthed fun then go see Kick-Ass 2.

see it before it disappears, 4 April 2011

'contains spoiler'

This movie is about courage and loyalty. The opening narration tells you about the reality of guardian angels and soon we arrive at the Lennox Asylum for the Insane. The newest inmate is "Baby Doll" who has been driven mad by a tragedy. We overhear her evil stepfather conspiring with an orderly to get her brain lobotomized. In her madness she sees the asylum as a brothel where she will be sold to someone called the High Roller. She decides to escape and is helped by four girls. For some reason their escape attempts are represented by fighting fantasy adventures.

We spend most of the movie in her delusion. Towards the end it is implied that her adventures are based somewhat on reality. So failing these fantasy missions means something didn't work out in real life.

We are told at the end what events actually happened.

I suggest that you watch this as soon as possible before it disappears. The CGI looks fantastic on a big screen.

one of the best fighting shows, 17 July 2010

"Kenichi" is one of the best fighting shows. It tells the story of a timid boy named Kenichi who has trouble making friends and gets picked on by bullies. His only acquaintance is Nijima a boot-licker who tries to align himself with the bullies by putting down Kenichi. Kenichi decides to learn martial arts so he can protect himself. A chance meeting with new student Miu leads him to becoming the disciple of five eccentric masters. What separates good fighting shows from bad is the colourful characters our hero meets and their personal stories. The pacing of the series is good. With hard work Kenichi slowly becomes one of the toughest fighters at school and he makes new friends on the way. What makes the show funny is Kenichi remains timid unless he has a good reason to fight. Unlike say Dragonball Z the 50 episodes of this show go quickly and the Ragnarok story arc comes to a satisfying conclusion. I've seen the Funimation version and the Japanese version and they are both good.

average adaptation of World Destruction video game, 7 March 2010

You may have seen commercials for the Nintendo DS game "Sands of Destruction". This anime is based on that game. In this story the world has oceans of sand which are traversed by sand-ships and sand-subs. In this world the ruling class are anthropomorphic beast-men and humans are a slave class. A young human girl named Morte is on the run from the World Salvation Committee because she holds an artifact called Destruct Code which is said to have the power to destroy the world. She picks up a human ally named Kyrie and a beast-man hero named Toppi. Together they travel as the World Destruction Committee. The theme of the show is "you always have choices". Each episode is titled "There Are Two Kinds of ..." and we hope that Morte will learn that lesson before she activates Destruct Code.

I've seen the entire series and it is OK but the characters one-dimensional. I am guessing the target audience is young boys.

interesting monster show, 30 January 2010

Here is another interesting limited series out of Japan that was shown on TV at midnight.

Dogu-chan is an energetic goddess from ancient Japan who was dug out of the ground by teenage-boy Mokoto while accompanying his father on an archaeological dig. Mokoto is a troubled youth who has dropped out of school and this expedition was his father's way of getting him out of the house. Because Mokoto touched her breastplate Dogu-chan has sentenced him to be her servant. Dogu-chan is accompanied by a living Dogu statue named Dokigoro. Dogu statues are from Japan's prehistoric past and look like humanoids with big goggle eyes.

Dogu-chan's job is to capture yokai monsters and seal them in her breastplate. Each episode is about some poor soul who has gotten involved with a monster. The gimmick of the show is Dogu-chan's transformation sequence. Ordinarily Dogu-chan wears a leather bikini and boots. When Dogu-chan needs extra power her partner Dokigoro disassembles into pieces of body armour that magically attach to her body.

Even though the monsters look cheesy the stories are meant to be serious. The actors treat their roles seriously. People who are killed by rubbery monsters don't come back to life. Even the main character isn't invincible. So if you want to see a Japanese monster show with a slightly adult tone then look for episodes of Dogu-chan on the Net.

good teaching stories for the very young, 9 January 2010

Taruto is a 12 episode DVD that I saw in the children's section of the local library. It tells the story of Taruto the magic cat and her human master Iori. Taruto's magic is unreliable and usually fails. Only Kakipi the flying squirrel has faith in her powers because she helped him in episode one.

I've seen the entire series and it might be a useful teaching story for very young kids. An adult would let them watch an episode and ask a few questions to test their comprehension at the end. Then they would take questions from the audience to help fill in the gaps in their understanding. Nothing very bad happens and there is often a lesson in each episode.

One thing that has to be noted is the depiction of cats in the story. Humans see cats as ordinary cats but the viewer sees them as doll-sized people with cat tails and cat ears dressed in human clothes. We can understand their cat language but not the humans in the story.

There are stand-alone episodes that let us get to know the main characters and there are story arc episodes that advance the plot of the lost princess story. Because the series is relatively short the story moves along at a good pace. Remember that the show is aimed at the very young and you should be satisfied even if you are an adult. The series finishes with a happy ending.

Bonus question: can you tell what the name Taruto is supposed to represent in English? Hint: her master Iori is aways making sweet treats like cakes and such.

pleasant diversion, 12 November 2009

First you need to know there was a manga called "Sukeban Deka" in the 1980s which means "Delinquent Girl Detective". The concept is delinquent girl Saki is forced by the police to act as an undercover policewoman in high school. The gimmick is she carries a special yo-yo as a weapon which doubles as her police badge. This was turned into a live-action TV show, an OVA anime plus some movies.

Today there is a novel called "Meido Deka" which means "Maid Detective". In it delinquent girl Aoi is rescued from a life on the streets by wealthy Inspector Kaido. He offers her work as a maid in his home along with a butler and a cook. In gratitude she also acts as an undercover cop in cases where a maid could infiltrate and investigate. Her gimmick is a modified sweeper. As you can imagine this show isn't meant to be taken too seriously.

The show is a pleasant diversion but nothing great. Our lead girl plays cute well enough but her smiles often seem forced. Plus she looks unconvincing as a street fighter.

good fighting anime not for younger viewers, 21 September 2009

In the world of Kurokami there are three copies of each person born in different places. This is called the Doppleliner System. If they should meet one will die. That is because the amount of luck each person is born with is not equal. When the weak copy dies the strong copy gets a boost in luck. Most people dismiss this as a legend but some people are using murder to boost their own good fortune.

High school boy Keita lost his mother when she encountered a copy of herself. His only close friend is a Akane a young woman who was a childhood friend. She made it her task to keep an eye on Keita in place of his mother. At some point she developed unspoken romantic feelings towards him.

Soon we encounter Kuro a young girl with a big appetite and childish manner. She tells us she is a guardian of the Doppleliner System. She keeps an eye on Tera, the life force people are born with. She is seeking revenge on her brother for killing her fellow guardians. It turns out that guardians and humans can make a pact and gain powers.

Despite Kuro's girlish appearance this series is full of bloody violence. I read volume one of the comic book called Black God created by Lim and Park and thought the fights were brutal. Then I saw the subtitled anime. Still brutal. I recommend you take the time to watch one episode per day rather than rush to get to the final conclusion. As often happens the comic and anime diverge. Perhaps the comic is still ongoing so a different storyline had to be made for TV. The anime definitely comes to a happy/sad conclusion and there is no way for it to continue.

There is a free, streaming dubbed version on the Internet and pretty soon Bandai will release the DVD.

amusing character interaction, 18 August 2009

Storm of Summer is an animation based on the 2006 manga by Jin Kobayashi creator of the School Rumble series so you can expect a light comedy. The opening narration each episode tells us that 13-year old boy Yasaka met a wonderful 16-year old girl Arashiyama during summer vacation. In the first episode you are thrown into the middle of the action. I think it is the season closer. In the second episode we start from the beginning of the story. Our bespectacled lead Yasaka is brash, full of confidence and an idiot. When he sees Arashiyama working at the Ark Café he falls in love at first sight. He soon discovers Arashi is not an ordinary girl. In fact she is a restless spirit.

The stories are mostly about Arashi's missions and each episode can stand alone. There are a few "just for laughs" episodes that involve time travel paradoxes. Definitely worth watching for the amusing characters like the larcenous Master and the down-on-his-luck Shades. We also get 4-panel gags at the beginning and a recurring skit with Kanako and Yayoi referring to other mangas.

well made for a general audience, 8 August 2009

I watched the G.I. Joe cartoons way back in the 1980s and I bought the comic books as well but after 25 years I have trouble remembering the stories. If there were origin stories for the G.I. Joe organization, the Cobra organization, Cobra Commander, Destro and the Baroness I don't remember them.

It doesn't matter because the G.I. Joe movie is written for a general audience. Like the new James Bond and the new Star Trek this is a reboot of the G.I Joe story. I am positive major changes were made so the story could move quickly and finish in a few hours.

I enjoyed the movie a lot. There are girls, gadgets, vehicles and explosions. If you go with an open mind you'll enjoy it too.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]