hyprsleepy

Whose side are you on?, 23 May 2016

I read that the directors kept tweaking with the story until test audiences were split 50/50 on which side they were on. They said they wanted people to be so torn they were arguing in the parking lot!

I like both characters and I can understand both sides but I definitely favor one. So here's my breakdown of why I side with who I do.

THE INSANITY PLEA:

Even if Bucky was insane and not responsible for his actions, he still needs to be kept from society. That's pretty much agreed in most cultures as to how you deal with an insane person that commits a crime like murdering a lot of people. Bucky needed to be removed from society till he can be healed of his conditioning and there was nothing wrong with trying to do that in a way that saved Bucky from potentially being shot at by soldiers that would probably just get killed themselves. I understand Captain American losing himself after the death of someone he loved and not caring about the rules when it comes to protecting his best friend, but he's still got to step back and look at the big picture.

POLITICAL ANALYSIS:

What Captain America essentially wants is a group of powerful super heroes with no oversight by the government and that can only be punished or held accountable by themselves. Yet even specters in Mass Effect had oversight. Realistically, this won't fly with a concerned public that has experienced repeated collateral damage and even the death of their loved ones at the hands of the Avengers. There's damning video evidence of not just the bad guys causing the destruction but by the team while in the heat of battle. Even super heroes are just individuals with flaws and capable of making mistakes. After the Ultron debacle Iron Man perhaps realizes more than anyone that all individuals are fallible and that no matter how noble their intentions are or how intelligent they are they could screw things up.

GOVERNMENT CORRUPTION:

Those who would argue leaving decisions up to multiple people dilutes power and weakens the effectiveness of leadership as well as the speed at which it can respond are correct, but what you get with that is less risk because of all of the checks and balances. I get why a person wouldn't trust the government but the fact that power brings with it corruption shouldn't mean that we give up and don't have any government whatsoever.

PUBLIC OPINION:

It is fair to say that you cannot have the Avengers running free with zero accountability and have the public comfortable. Not only that, but going along with the Accords shows remorse which is also something the public will need to see. Give the people a false sense of security and continue on. Any entity can only have no oversight when they have no mistakes and the Avengers have made too many mistakes.

CONFLICT OF INTEREST:

There's too much personal attachment and bias for the team to hold the team members accountable when they hurt people or make mistakes. Their feelings for each other and the hypocritical nature of chastising another for what they did would cause no consequences or punishments to ever be doled out. Maybe that's what some people want? I get that. I like everyone on the team. But at the same time you do have to have some sort of accountability. How do we get that?

ON THE MOVIE ITSELF:

I expected lots of action and some fluff but got more! The emotional and mental conflict was what drove the story and kept my attention, which never wavered throughout the entire 2.5 hour movie. From the huge fight scenes to Spider-Man cracking jokes to the heart wrenching betrayals that really go for the jugular it had something for everyone. I loved Civil War for being more serious and mature than previous Marvel films!

Thought provoking mini-series from a book that deserved to see the screen, 5 January 2016

This mini-series by the SyFy channel is from the book Childhood's End by Author C. Clarke. I have never read the book and I think that's why I liked the show so much. I LOVED it. (Most of the negative reviews are from those who read the book.)

Once I heard of the changes I realized why they occurred. They had Ricky be a humble farmer instead of a big shot diplomat because it would make him seem more like a Jesus like character. The emotional mining and discovery that Ricky did about himself and his feelings over his ex were incredibly intense and well done and not delved into in the book. Presumably this was because Clarke wasn't very good with the ladies and didn't care much for romance nor feelings and was more of a technical details kind of guy. The reasons why the children evolved in the book are stupid and make no sense. I know I might catch some flak for that but I'm sorry fanboys. What we know about evolution and diet and adaptation just come together to disprove his theory. I'm glad the show writers didn't go with what was in the book because it would have made everything laughable.

Right before I watched this I was talking to my friends about the validity of communism. Questions arose as to what would be the purpose of life without a way to feel progress? If you are always in one class and there's no going up or down forever, how would that make people feel? If they didn't have to work, would they? Would people go crazy? How would this affect our creativity in terms of art or science? Pain and suffering are necessary parts of the puzzle when driving creativity and efficiency and growth. If you're happy and content why change anything?

These questions are all discussed in the show and more.

I freaking loved Charles Dance as Karellen. He was amazing and always is. The effects for him were mostly make-up and not special effects which I found impressive and made his facial expressions much more realistic looking and expressive.

This goes in my Top 10 of the Best Science Fiction shows/movies I've ever seen. You need to see this. Caution: It is depressing and the scene at the end with the song made my heart want to break into a million pieces while I silently cried inside, but it is so good.

One of my favorite scenes was where the head of the Freedom League scoffs and accuses the aliens of pretending they want to "Buy the World a Coke". I think of that now every time I see a Coke ad.

The use of a Twitter campaign and TV ads that comically resemble political smear campaigns were hilarious and awesome. If you like dark humor and have sado-masochistic tenancies in your TV viewing then you need to check this out!

Excellent movie, Amazing book, 6 November 2013

I read the book and saw the movie and loved both.

I felt it was a faithful adaptation that changed certain parts to make it suitable for a movie format. Some things were different from the book, but nothing that really put me off. I was very afraid they would give Ender's Game the Hunger Games treatment and turn it into pure action but they didn't. The psychology and ethical decisions that made the book great are still there and given the attention and care they deserved.

The book had a lot of inner monologue with Ender, which I was glad to see was mostly handled with environment and atmosphere as opposed to voice over. Asa Butterfield should be given a lot of credit for being so good at displaying Ender's emotions and mental state even if he wasn't saying a word.

I thought what the movie did with the Mind Game was wonderful. The music got darker at just the right moments and it allowed you to feel what Ender was feeling and sense his doubt but see that in the end he follows his instincts despite not entirely trusting himself at times. Music is really important to me, and if it conjures up strong emotions in you as well then you'll appreciate that about this movie.

The Battle School and bug fight scenes were amazing! Breath taking visuals that will make the hairs on your neck stand up. Two thumbs up!!

The Call (2013/II)
Loved it - intense and interesting, 18 March 2013

The Call kept my interest and had everyone wanting to scream at the screen and tell the characters what to do and urge them along. The characters would alternate between overcoming their emotions and rising to the challenge and falling prey to them at just the wrong moment. There was a constant sense of tension during the 911 call and the walk through of getting the girl to safety. Be prepared to feel that adrenaline and tension for longer than your body is normally used to. You may feel just as drained after a call as a 911 operator does...

I really enjoyed the level of detail the film makers put into showing us the world of a 911 operator and what they go through on a day to day basis. It's pretty fascinating. I know I could never do that kind of job. That kind of stress day in and day out has to wear on a person and probably often hardens them.

The ending involves a twist I wasn't expecting, and gains my respect for that, but it was still somewhat disappointing because I wanted it to go further. Those who have seen the movie will know what I mean.

If you found yourself at all interested in the trailer go see this movie! You'll like it!

Funny and Sweet, like Wall-E mixed with a zombie movie, 7 February 2013

And they said you couldn't have a zombie romance story. Take that vampires!

The zombie R was surprisingly strong, but sensitive, sweet, loving, and protective. He wanted to talk to the pretty girl but had trouble finding the words, or at least vocalizing them. His determination and frantic antics were endearing.

Julie was not some wussy victim or brainless babe. It made me happy to see she was tough and could take care of herself. She had a rebellious streak that made her entertaining to watch and a softer affectionate side that showed itself with R.

I can honestly say I liked both characters and wanted to see them succeed.

I particularly enjoyed the scenes where R eats the brains and we saw more of Julie, her old boyfriend, her father, and how they all fit together. It was heart felt and well-done. The relationships and the complexity of them was less evident in the movie than in the book but I could still feel it. If you liked the movie I highly suggest reading the book, by the way.

Warm Bodies was well paced and acted, and one of the better zombie movies I have seen. Watch it, and provided you aren't dead inside, be overcome by it's cuteness! I can't say enough times - read the book! Read the book! Read the book! Okay I'm done.

Quick Comparison of both versions - both excellent in their own right, 22 December 2011

Here is a rundown of the differences in the two movies:

-MIKAEL BLOMKVIST-

American - Blomkvist is played as more of a tough guy and not a good guy. His flaws are laid bare and he shows himself to be much more detached than emotional.

Swedish - This is the "good guy" side of Mikael. He is sensitive, caring, and smart. He shows a protective side when it comes to Lisbeth. Physically speaking the Swedish Blomkvist doesn't look as sturdy as his American counterpart. He has a gut and appears to be quite a bit older than Lisbeth which can make the relationship between them more shudder inducing and probably accounts for why there are fewer sex scenes between them in the Swedish version.

-LISBETH SALANDER-

American - Perhaps because Blomkvist was made into such a strong character Lisbeth was then morphed into a more withdrawn and vulnerable girl so as to complement the new Blomkvist. She still has attitude, aggression, and rage but she also exhibits a quiet shy side that was not in the original as well as more of a romantic side.

Swedish - In this version Lisbeth is not shy, not gentle, and not nice. She doesn't chase Blomkvist - he chases her. She perfectly embodies everything you think of when you think of a strong female lead and has an unpredictability and edge to her that is exciting to watch. Her dragon tattoo is much, much better.

-OVERALL-

I liked the American Mikael and the Swedish Lisbeth.

While I may prefer a scene or two from the Swedish version, such as the ending, overall I enjoyed the American version more.

On the flip side, I can understand why some may hate this version because Lisbeth was their favorite character and she's been changed into something they don't like. For me, the modifications to Lisbeth's character weren't severe enough to put me off.

The Swedish version captured a cult following for a reason and I would recommend both to anyone who has an interest in darker gritty movies that have a raw intensity to them. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo isn't for the faint of heart and that's what I love about it!

A story for the wounded, 26 May 2011

Blue Valentine is one of the most depressing and well done films I've ever seen.

It is one that I will recommend that everyone see. Not because I want them to be sad or because I think they could learn anything new but because I think everyone should want to see the best of everything and this film is the best of its genre that I have ever seen. The acting is perfect. The metaphors are delicious and the hidden signs are just waiting to be uncovered.

Another great thing about this movie is that it is interesting to get different perspectives from your friends as to what they think happened in the movie and to whose side they are on. It is unlikely that they will have trouble connecting to or relating to the characters in Blue Valentine no matter if they have ever been married or had kids before.

Don't expect this to be a date movie or a nice happy rom-com. It is pretty much the anti-thesis of a date movie.

Priest (2011)
Decent action hindered by ridiculous story, 24 May 2011

The action was cool but nothing I haven't seen before or seen done better. It wasn't enough to save this movie. If the plot wasn't so offensive and instead gave off a neutral feeling I would consider this an alright movie. However the plot was laughably hokey. Priest is what would happen if you took Blade and Equilibrium and made a shallow copy of the two of them into a movie.

There's no character development whatsoever. What was the bad guy's relationship with the protagonist and his love interest? We don't know anything except that they worked together and we evidently don't care because we'd rather watch throwing stars and knives get tossed around. The story or lack thereof makes it harder to take the movie seriously. Why would the people allow the clergy to control everyone and why would those in power get rid of their only defense against the vampires when their enemy was not yet destroyed? Why does everyone follow one religion and why do they attend confession through what seems as dynamic and satisfying as an iPhone app?

And what's up with the vampires that have no eyes and apparently possess the self control and intellect of a wild dog? That's a vampire? Seriously? Another lame part of a movie filled with lameness.

The Rite (2011)
Inspired by true events story that is interesting but not exciting, 31 January 2011

While I was always waiting to see what happened next and interested in how the good guys would overcome the challenges they faced I felt completely detached from the main character, Michael Kovak. I don't need to like the main character but I still need to connect. Unfortunately, Michael was very emotionally inaccessible and therefore I never really cared for him.

On a positive note, Anthony Hopkins had a very good performance and the little field trips that he took the "doubter" on were some of the best parts of the movie. I loved how Kovak hung on to his doubt even when faced with an example of the possessed knowing the unknowable. The pacing was slow and gradually ratcheted up the tension as it went along. For some this may be boring but I was comfortable with it as it made the events unfolding feel natural instead of forced or rushed.

Overall, it was an alright movie that could have been great but just wasn't.

Closer (2004/I)
Dialogue driven film with an award winning cast, 23 December 2010

Six years after the movie release of Closer and 850+ reviews to sift though...I don't know how mine will be noticed so this is mostly for my own gratification and to help me remember.

I instantly loved Closer. It's so wonderful to experience a film that goes back to the basics: characters, great writing, focusing on dialogue. It's unusual nowadays. The way the characters all played off each other, the wordplay, and the verbally jousting, it was all exceptionally entertaining. I think we've really lost that in movies. It's very unusual to hear fantastic dialogue and to hear intelligent people interacting. From the witty things they say while seducing each other to the brutally honest things that we all think but don't necessarily say - it's all here. There are so many great lines and so many great scenes. The theme song, The Blower's Daughter, is perfect and represents the movie in a nutshell.

Be warned that this isn't a movie to share with the kids and it isn't for the faint of heart or for those who want a more standard romance to watch. There will be those that will be shocked by or upset by this film and find it offensive or difficult to watch.

Closer is an adaption of a play written by Patrick Marber. Cliven Owen actually performed this play in the original London stage production although at that time he was playing the character of Dan instead of Larry! It's impressive to see how well he was able to totally change his perspective and act so convincingly as Larry. After seeing Closer I really couldn't envision him being anyone else. The great thing about a movie vs. a play is that you don't have to shout your lines and it can feel that much more real and intimate.

While there may only be four characters to work with you get a deep dive into each of them. In my opinion this is all four actor's best work ever.