Reviews

6 ReviewsOrdered By: Date
So many funny moments!
6 March 2004
Breakdancing is easily the funniest fad of the last 50 fifty years. There are so many hilarious moments in this movie, you will not regret renting it.

The fashion is audacious. The attitudes are ridiculous. The music is silly. But above all, it's entertaining. It's a high-budget visual spectacle that merits attention.

It's also a political piece. It's about rich versus poor, haves versus have-nots. Ultimately it's a testament to the will of the human spirit, be it poppin', rockin', or breakin'.

Boogaloo Shrimp is an awesome character. So is Shabadoo, and don't forget Sugarfoot. Ice T proves that he was a sell-out as way back as 1984.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Futurama (1999–2013)
Great show for smart people
15 February 2004
This is an intelligent show for intelligent people. I think some of the episodes from 2002 and 2003 are completely brilliant, whereas some of the early episodes weren't quite up to snuff. I think Dr. Zoidberg is funnier than any character that ever existed for the Simpsons. Ultimately I think the show doesn't appeal to the lowest common denominator, like the overly-caricatured Simpsons of recent years.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Blown Away (1994)
neither bad nor great
8 February 2004
I just watched it on late-night cable, and it's pretty good for late-night cable. Forest Whitaker and Tommy Lee Jones play their parts well enough. It's not "idiotic," as some people have suggested. It's better than average, for sure.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Training Day (2001)
movie with great potential sputters out
24 January 2003
Denzel Washington breathes a lot of life into a great character, but the closer you get to the end of the movie, the more one-dimensional the character becomes. By the end he's just a caricature of himself. How can a movie that starts so great end so poorly?
0 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
loses its wits
30 November 2001
After a promising start, the movie devolves into something completely witless, random, and unentertaining. You don't know who's going to die next -- but you don't really care. Lots of gore, yes, but you've seen better elsewhere. It's the sort of movie you sit through and wish you'd been watching something else.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I actually enjoyed this movie quite a bit
12 November 2001
Maybe some reviewers here have been put off by the fact that it's a mingling of different genres (romance/comedy). But I think the movie is vastly entertaining and satisfying. There's more substance to this movie than there is to others of a similar vein -- "Detroit Rock City" or "Almost Famous" or "Dazed and Confused." You're not supposed to cry and you're not supposed to split your sides laughing, but you are supposed to enjoy it, and that I did. Plus, Alec Baldwin is truly excellent in his role as a gruff, blue-collar dad.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this