BernardoLima

Jump To: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

11:14 (2003)
Well executed but a bit pointless, 26 June 2010

At 11:14 PM on one fatal evening, previously unconnected lives connect for the first time, with fatal consequences for some. The film slowly unveils five separate tales as the characters unwittingly careen towards each other... 11.14 is composed by interrelated sets of situations and characters like Crash (2004) or Babel (2006) and I have to say that the film was incredibly well executed. Technically speaking, it's almost flawless. But unlike Crash and Babel, 11:14 is more of a dark comedy/ thriller-noir then a drama per se.

Unfortunately, the plot isn't that interesting and in the end the film comes trough as a bit pointless. It all seems like a simple series of events that had consequences and not a straight narrative line. I just don't think it's a story worth telling, besides I felt that the story was in service of the narrative gimmick and not the other way around. On a more positive note, the film has a great pace and is somewhat engaging. The cast did a good job as well. All in all, it's a decent watch but I would skip it.

2012 (2009/I)
Entertainment for the brain-dead masses, 3 December 2009

In Roland Emmerich's latest film, the world is coming to an end just as the ancient civilization of the Mayans predicted. In their famous calendar the world ends in 2012 due to a global cataclysm.And that's exactly what happens in this film. Small signs start to show in 2009 and it all happens in full force by the 21 of December of 2012. The earth starts to crumble,cities collapse,the sea emerges,tsunamis start to form,volcanoes erupt, all kinds of natural disasters you can think of. And that is pretty much the story here. In the middle of all this is Jackson Curtis (John Cusack), the everyday man who is trying to save his loved ones, his ex-wife Kate (Amanda Peet) and their two young kids. But to be honest, who cares? The central point of the movie is the on going disaster and therefor the characters are paper-thin and uninteresting. Now,obviously the cgi is good and the movie is all about the eye candy but the action is very silly,over the top and implausible.How many times can the main characters fly between falling buildings without getting hit?? How many coincidences and luck-outs does this boring broken family have? It doesn't help that with the exception of Amanda Peet who looked genuinely afraid and concerned, all the other actors did a terrible, let me re-enforce that, TERRIBLE job. John Cusack seemed completely lost and his dialog was as sappy as it can get, Danny Glover's portrayal of an American President was cringe-worthy ,Chiwetel Ejiofor who played Adrian Helmsley, the geologist helping the white house, was clearly an actor acting if you know what I mean, Thandie Newton( she played the President's daughter) was probably one of the worst despite her having the least lines and Hoody Harrelson failed completely at being the comedy relief. In fact, there shouldn't even exist a comedy relief at all; this is the end of the world and the writers are trying to make us laugh and break the tension? It just makes impossible for someone to take the film seriously. Also the film was painfully long, they could have easily cut 30 minutes of footage and it would have made for a better film. If you want to see a visual spectacle, then 2012 is definitely for you, if you're looking for something else( which most people are I hope) skip it. Bottom line is, never the end of the world looked so boring and silly.

Nice British post-apocalyptic tale, 5 December 2009

28 Days Later is a British post-apocalyptic horror/science fiction film that depicts the breakdown of society following the accidental release of a highly contagious virus and focuses upon the struggle of four survivors to cope with the ruination of the life they once knew. Although a critical and commercial success, I only got the chance to watch this today. I was quite surprised with this film. The director Danny Boyle, who is now best known for the multiple Oscar winning film, Slumdog Millionaire, showed a very interesting and unique vision. His post-apocalyptic tale borrows some elements from other films but at the same time its like no other. The first act is definitely the best; a disorientated Jim (Cilian Murpy) wakes up in the hospital only to find out that he's alone. There's not one single person in the hospital or outside. Jim has no idea of what happen or of what's going on and as he wanders in the streets we get to see several shots of a deserted London accompanied by atmospheric instrumental music and it makes for a very cool and effective scene. At some point Jim is rescued by Selena (Naomi Harris) and Mark (Noah Huntley).They break it down to Jim, a contagious virus was accidentally released and most of the population is either infected or dead. The infected ( they're basically zombies ) show no sign of human behavior and only care about killing. Later on Mark gets killed and Jim and Selena are joined by Frank (Brendan Gleeson) and his daughter Hannah (Megan Burns). The four of them desperately try to stay alive and after hearing a transmission on the radio they decide to go to Manchester where supposedly are a group of survivors. There is some violence and gore, but apart from a scene towards the end, nothing too strong or particularly disgusting. Cilian Murphy is tremendous as the lead character and he's the only actor worth mentioning because the others don't get that much screen time or attention. The film reminds me a lot of The Last Man On Earth, and the third act, which involves some moral dilemmas, reminds me a bit of Blindness but, remember, both this films came after Boyle's film. Overall, 28 Days Later is an original, tense and thrilling film with a very unique vision.

"This is a story of boy meets girl. But you should know up front, this is not a love story.", 20 September 2009

What's so great about 500 Days Of Summer is that unlikely most romantic comedies it depicts real life, where not everything goes according to plan,where bad things do happen and people do suffer. The premise is quite simple: Summer Finn,played by Zooey Deschanel, doesn't believe in true love, and Tom Hansen,played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who does believe,falls for her.Obviously this can't go well. Despite the constant warnings by Summer that she isn't looking for anything serious and does not want a commitment, Tom falls deeper in love with her everyday and as the time goes by the two of them become lovers.However, when asked about it,Summer refuses to put a label on their relationship which leaves Tom with a feeling of unease.One day Summer leaves and Tom is left wondering,how the hell can he move on? The story is presented in a non-chronological format which is the first thing that really makes the film stand out, the way it was edited was absolutely brilliant.Zooey Deschanel gave a solid performance but was definitely out shined by Joseph Gordon-Levitt,who for me is an amazing actor yet very underrated.He's not your typical Hollywood heartthrob leading man but there's something very unique and special about him.The film also has a killer soundtrack, and I really mean it,the songs are beautiful and fit the scenes(and the general ambiance)perfectly! One of the few things I didn't like so much was the ending,I don't want to spoil it but it is kind of an happy ending that doesn't feel consistent with the rest of the movie.It doesn't feel very honest.With a different ending this movie could have been almost perfect.Regardless, 500 Days Of Summer is an refreshing movie with two good performances(mainly Joseph Gorden-Levitt) that shows the sweet and sour aspects of romance and deserves to be seen.

Adam (2009/I)
Adam, he doesn't belong here, but yet, here he is, 30 December 2009

I've been meaning to watch Adam for quite some time now and the film matched my expectations. The good thing about small independent films is that the stories are usually very personal and rich. That's the case with Adam, a film with substance and meaning. The film begins with the 29 year old Adam attending his father funeral and then returning to a lonely empty house. Beth, a writer damaged from a past relationship moves into the building where Adam lives and soon they meet. Adam is handsome but he's also odd and awkward. He suffers from Asperger syndrome, an autism spectrum disorder that causes difficulties in social interaction, along with restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests. Despite this, Adam is very bright and Beth takes an interest in him. This leads to a relationship but, is it right? Are they fit for each other?... Adam is not so much a romantic comedy but more of a character study as it shows Adam and Beth learning and growing from each other and stepping into unfamiliar territory. Hugh Dancy is tremendous as the lead character Adam and his portrayal never appears as a caricature. Instead he relies on small gestures and certain facial expressions which results in a very moving and impressive performance. Rose Byrne was very good as Beth as well, although I wish her character had been better written. I say this because sometimes, she is extremely sensitive to Adam's condition but on a few occasions she almost seems to forget about it. Peter Gallagher, Rose Byrne and Amy Irving compose the supporting cast with Gallagher doing a terrific job (as usual) as Beth's father. Adam doesn't have the clichéd happy ending so usual in Hollywood, instead it presents us with an authentic and realistic conclusion that felt very satisfying. Adam is a breath of fresh air, it's a genuine film with a very moving and well written story.

Fun and quirky coming of age story, 24 October 2009

In 1987, James Brennan's dreams of a summer European tour before studying at an Ivy League school in New York City are ruined by financial problems. To cover his upcoming expenses,James gets a job at the local amusement park, Adventureland. James is reluctant a first but he ends up having the time of his life; in the process he makes new friends and falls in love with a co-worker,Emily. This summer job turns out to be a learning experience about life and love for James,as he figures out who he is, what he wants and what is truly important in life. Adventureland is a fun and quirky coming of age story mismarketed as a teen comedy. Most of the laughs come from subtle situational moments and not from purposely funny dialog.Adventureland is a character driven movie with two great performances; we have Jesse Eisenberg who was great and very likable as James,the geeky kid and Kristin Stewart who played the object of James's affections, Emily.After having seen Speak(2004) just recently and now Adventureland I must say Kristin seems to be really good at playing this somewhat damaged and wounded characters.Also lovely,despite having little screen time was the beautiful Margarita Levieva who I recently saw doing a great job in Spread(2009).Bill Hader served as comic relief and did a good job at it.Ryan Reynolds, quite frankly, did not stand out.He wasn't bad at all but I feel as if his role could have been played by a less known actor and it wouldn't affect the film. The soundtrack is great and mainly composed by 80's songs.In conclusion,Adventureland was a good surprise,its a very endearing coming of age story and a great watch!

After.Life (2009)
Definitely not great but, quite clever and entertaining, 25 July 2010

After a horrific car accident, Anna (Christina Ricci) wakes up to find the local funeral director Eliot Deacon (Liam Neeson) preparing her body for her funeral. Confused, terrified and feeling still very much alive, Anna doesn't believe she's dead, despite the funeral director's reassurances that she is merely in transition to the afterlife. Eliot convinces her he has the ability to communicate with the dead and is the only one who can help her. Trapped inside the funeral home, with nobody to turn to except Eliot, Anna is forced to face her deepest fears and accept her own death. But Anna's grief-stricken boyfriend Paul (Justin Long) still can't shake the nagging suspicion that Eliot isn't what he appears to be. Paul desperately tries to convince the local Police Chief (Josh Charles) that Anna's alive. But the more he investigates her death, the more they question his sanity. As the funeral nears, Paul gets closer to unlocking the disturbing truth, but it could be too late; Anna may have already begun to cross over the other side.

After Life is a clever psychological thriller with a very creepy and mysterious atmosphere. The concept behind the story is very cool but the execution is definitely what made the film. Is Anna alive or is she dead? That is the big question of After Life and the film goes back and forth delivering several clues, some subtle, some not so much. And even though the film tries to be ambiguous, by the end, it's pretty clear what happened. Still, it will drive you crazy, in a good way of course. The film also poses some interesting questions regarding the nature of life forcing the viewer to reflect on his own existence.

Liam Neeson did a good job and Christina Ricci was exceptional in her role. Justin Long however, was largely disappointing. Overall, it's nothing outstanding but definitely a very entertaining flick and the director was able to put a different spin on a often used concept.

6.5/10

Mindless fun, I too loved Mandy Lane, 23 January 2010

At a Texas High school Mandy Lane (Amber Heard) is a popular outsider. Dylan (Adam Powell) invites her to a party at his house and she accepts with the provision that her best friend Emmet (Michael Welch) can attend also. At the party Dylan and Emmet clash, and Emmet sits on the roof overlooking the pool watching Mandy. Dylan joins him and Emmet convinces him to jump from the roof to the pool to get Mandy's attention. Dylan jumps but misses, hitting his head on the edge of the pool and dies. After that, Mandy refuses to talk to Emmet. Cut to nine months later and Red (Aaron Himelstein), is having a party at his father's ranch and has invited Mandy along. She obtains permission from her Aunt (Peyton Hayslip) and agrees to go. As the sun falls behind the hills and a volatile mix of drugs, alcohol, and hormones turns explosive, the irreversible propositions of her peers lead to unexpected, and horrifying, consequences... This film was quite a pleasant surprise. To be perfectly honest, I watched the film mainly because of Amber Heard. She's a gorgeous actress who's been getting a lot of roles lately, so I decided to check some of her earlier work. Having said that, I got much more from this film then I was expecting. All the Boys Love Mandy Lane is a horror/thriller reminiscent of some slasher films. The film was well acted and written and the camera work which is different then usual gives a distinct feel to the film. The film has a major plot twist that caught me completely of-guard. I can easily predict how a story is going to turn out but I really didn't see this one coming. Looking back there might have been a few signs but, I think most people will be surprised. Amber Heard delivered a very memorable performance for a horror film and she really did carried the film on her back. Mandy Lane is not ground-braking or anything but it's a very entertaining film and a worthwhile watch.

A movie with heart..., 14 December 2008

A lot like love is a little romantic comedy that gets to you. Its not an amazing film, nor a flawless one but it has heart, lots of it in fact. The film begins with the main characters, Emily and Oliver meeting each other. They quickly bond but each of them follows a different path.They never forgot each other and in the following 7 years they reunite a few times.Life doesn't go according to plan to either of the characters but when they're together it feels right. The movie has one strong message; is we shouldn't plan our lives extensively or let things get in the way, when we meet THAT person we must not let it go to waste.We should be open to change and embrace the unexpected.The movie works because at the end of the day all we care about is love and this film is a fair portrayal of it.Ashton Kutcher and Amanda Peet were well cast for the main roles, they delivered solid performances and their characters were very likable. The musical score was superb. Most romantic comedies lack quality these days, so try this one,hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

Alpha Dog (2006)
Raw,gritty and great!, 20 October 2009

Alpha Dog is based on the true story of the kidnapping and murder of 15-year-old Nicholas Markowitz and related events in 2000. The story revolves around a drug deal gone awry. Jake Mazursky(Ben Foster) didn't pay Johny Truelove(Emile Hirsch) the money he was suppose to. Infuriated, Johny, with the help of his friends, kidnaps Jake Mazursky's brother, 15 year old Zack Mazursky(Anton Yelchin) as some sort of ransom to force Jake to pay him. Johnny's friends eventually become attached to the kid and the boy is actually having the time of his life but in the end something terrible happens... Be aware that Alpha Dog is raw and gritty, after all the film portrays, in part at least, the world of drug dealing, but one can argue that it portrays, as well, how an entire generation in America is in disgrace, some chose to be delinquents but for others, this is all they've known their entire lives and their parents exhibit the same kind of behavior. Cassavetes did a great job telling this story and the cast was exceptional. Ben Foster is truly amazing as the crazy and deranged drug addict Jake Mazursky and Anton Yelchin was perfect as Jake's naive little brother and god damn it, even Justin Timberlake delivered! Towards the end of the movie he plays an emotional scene so well that you can't help but wonder if he didn't chose the wrong career. Emile Hirsch wasn't bad but was definitely out shined by the rest of the cast. The supporting cast is composed by such actors as Bruce Willis, Sharon Stone, Amber Heard and Olivia Wilde. Overall, Alpha Dog is a well directed and extremely well acted movie that seems to depict in a very truthful way a very unfortunate event. Definitely a good watch!

7.5/10