Reviews

16 ReviewsOrdered By: Date
The Judge (2014)
Wonderful Pairing
23 October 2014
I can't believe more people have not seen this movie! It shows the aspects of a lot of families today... the triple "D"; death, divorce and dysfunction.

I don't want to generalize by saying that a lot of men don't have close relationships with their dads, but it does apply here. It's during this movie that you see the "family tree branch out" with home movies, confessions, tears, and understanding.

You learn that things aren't always as they seem. Behind all the anger, is a Dad who thought he was doing the right thing by trying to get his son on the right track. Behind all the confusion is a son who couldn't understand why his Dad treated him the way he did.

Yet, in all this turmoil, is a son who loves his dad and is trying to defend him against the court system and his stubborn self. All in front of a jury and audience of people who love and respect The Judge.

It was really a touching story, and I congratulate Robert and his "Team Downey" Production Company for bringing this story to screen. I really enjoyed it. I hope others look past the fact that it isn't The Iron Man, and GO SEE THIS MOVIE!
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Story is rather bland
15 August 2014
I actually gave this movie a 7, because I am an action movie junkie, but as much as I enjoyed the explosions and such, I thought the storyline was rather bland.

The basic outline is: Barney gets a job assignment. He doesn't want to risk his "old" crew, so he hires a younger, inexperienced crew. The inexperience causes them to get caught. The old crew goes to rescue the young crew. That's pretty much it!

In the last Expendables, I really felt the camaraderie between Barney, Christmas, Gunner, Toll Road, Caesar, and Yin Yang. Not only do I NOT feel the camaraderie in this movie, there are so many "hands" in the pot (actors in the movie), that you see each actor for such a short time, it seems like a waste of talent!

Next time Sly, don't spend so much time on getting all the "name drops" and concentrate more on the plot line!

Oh, I will admit to enjoying Antonio Banderas in the movie. His role was completely opposite of what I expected from him :-)
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nebraska (2013)
An old man goes to Nebraska with his son to get "his" money.
15 March 2014
This movie has many different facets, but it is extremely slow moving (like the characters).

The movie starts with an elderly gentleman, Woody Grant, walking down the road, trying to get to Nebraska, where he thinks he will collect a sweepstakes of a million dollars. After Woody continues to runaway, (to walk to Nebraska), his son finally agrees to drive him there.

Throughout their journey, you start to see why Woody may be the way he is.... a stubborn, worthless, alcoholic. His wife Kate is constantly berating him, yelling she should put him in a home (who wouldn't drink after constantly being yelled at!). Woody also tells his son that they never wanted children, he just liked to have sex (ornery old goat!).

On the way to Nebraska, they make several stops. In a bar, they meet Woody's old business partner, Mr. Pegram. When he finds out Woody won a million dollars, he announces it to everyone, and asks Woody to stand up and take a bough. After Kate nudges him out of his chair, Woody looks around at everyone clapping, and gets an ever so slight grin on his face, and feels a little proud.

After a few mishaps, Woody's son David, tells him that it is all a hoax, and they should go home. That he just doesn't understand why winning a million dollars is so important....that they have enough money to get by. His response surprises David. I won't go into details, but David finally realizes what his Dad needs, and works on getting it.

As far as a story goes, it is well written. I just wish it wouldn't have taken so darn long to get through it! I also don't understand why Bruce Dern was nominated for an award. I have seen him in many movies and have always enjoyed his work, but this was just an elderly man, playing the role of an elderly man. Nothing more (in my opinion).
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If Meryl doesn't get an Oscar for this role, something is wrong!
12 January 2014
You go in to this movie realizing its not a "feel good movie", but I loved it! Just when you think you have the story figured out, there's a huge twist.

Meryl Streep is amazing, and it makes you understand that we are the way we are by part in how we are raised, and it's not always a happiness. She made you believe that she really WAS an unstable pill popping addict, when she knew what was "really going on" all along.

You could feel the pain in Ivy and Little Charles for feeling like they weren't good enough for anyone. The anger from Barbara for finally realizing she is really a lot like her mother. The disappointment from Charles for always hearing his wife berate "their son". The acting by everyone was just wonderful! This movie made me think, is this what life is going to be like when you get old? I wish the ending wrapped things up a little bit better, but I would definitely recommend this movie!
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Justified (2010–2015)
Justified, Intense and excessive
7 January 2014
I have been a justified fan from the start. I've watched the confidence and cockiness of Sheriff Givens grow, and Boyd Crowder go from bad, to good, back to bad again! The acting ability of Walton Goggins is AMAZING. While Justified was on hiatus, Walton moseyed on over to Sons of Anarchy for a roll you have to see to believe! Tonight Justified began it's new season. It was no surprise that Timothy Olyphant is now one of the shows producers! The content of the show seems to have always revolved around drugs & money, and it appears to be no different with this season. While I understand the need to keep viewers interested, the violence, in my opinion, has really increased, or at least gotten more graphic. I love action adventure programs/movies, but I think you can get the point across without quite so much visual gore.

I do miss the character of Mags, she too is an incredible actor.

I am glad this show has been renewed. There is not many programs that have a sheriff with a cowboy hat! Living in Texas, it's much appreciated :-) I hope to see more of a triangle between Raylan, Boyd and Ava, and also the continuance in the relationship of Raylan,his ex-wife and baby! Makes him more "human".
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not my cup of tea
11 October 2013
My husband chose this movie to watch at home. Although it got high reviews on this site, it wasn't exactly my first pick, but I was willing to give it a try. I have heard of Seth, Jonah, James, Kevin, Emma, Rihanna and who doesn't know Channing, so I wasn't quite so oblivious.

I waited...10, 20, OK, 30 minutes for it to catch my attention, but I was bored to death! I am guessing the crass jokes and crude humor were to draw in the younger crowd. I am no "dinosaur", but I didn't appreciate the dialog.

It was a low budget film with a high dollar return, so obviously I am in the minority.

I think the high reviews of this movie were from the 16-21 year old crowd. Honestly, it was a waste of my time.
15 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Oh My Goodness!
27 December 2012
Our family tradition is to see a movie on Christmas Day and we chose Django. Yes, it does have extensive violence, but this movie was GREAT from start to finish!! In fact, I want to see it again, and I don't say that about many movies :-) The acting was superb and I loved seeing so many familiar faces from past movies/television shows. It's terrible for people to be sold as slaves because of their race, but for them to be treated so inhumanely is unacceptable! I don't know to what extent of the movie was accurate for that time, but it definitely opened my eyes.

The way Dr. Shultz treated Django was so amazing, considering everyone else just considered Django a "Nigger", and why was a "Nigger" riding a horse? Constantly having to explain that he was a "Free-Man". I hope Jamie Foxx and Christoph Waltz get recognized for their ability in this movie. Oh, and did I mention Leonardo DiCaprio? WOW... he played "Monsieur Candie", very believably. I will admit, I could have done without his sister.

I'm not a huge Quentin Tarrantino fan because of the violence in his movies, but this western was amazing....the story, the acting, "Oh My Goodness". Don't skip the opportunity to see this movie!
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fast Five (2011)
A sequel that's worth seeing!
1 May 2011
I have liked most of the Fast and Furious movies, especially those that have brought back the original cast. I really enjoy the chemistry they have together. To add in "The Rock" (sorry, Dwayne Johnson) was just an added bonus :-) If you really like action packed movies, this one is for you! I will admit, the scene they did while towing the vault was way too far fetched for me, but then again, that's what they do best. The one thing that this movie was missing, was "Letty". Those of you know she died during the last Fast & Furious sequel. She made a perfect balance to Dominic's roughness. I wasn't too surprised to see Vin Diesel's name as producer since I believe he produced the last one. They also gave us a "wide-open" ending to make FF-6. Can they do another good one? Who knows, but I would definitely take my chances and go see it.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Faster (2010)
It's about time!
25 November 2010
This was the first movie our family went to in a long time, and it was so worth it! My boys said it was excellent.

The plot was simple enough, bad guy wants revenge for the murder of a loved one. In all honesty, it didn't seem to need a wide range of acting from Dwayne Johnson (aka, The Rock). I should rephrase that; it wasn't so much the dialog, but his mannerisms and facial expressions that said it all!

The movie wasn't just about revenge, it also looked into how he got to be the way he was... the way he was treated growing up. It talked about forgiveness & redemption.

I say it's about time The Rock (I will always know him as that!) got back to what he does best, Action/Adventure. Like The Rundown he did with Sean Scott.

All in All, I would give this movie a B++
65 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Bounty Hunter (I) (2010)
I waited weeks for this?
20 March 2010
I was excited when I first saw the previews of this movie. I am a HUGE Gerard Butler fan and I don't believe he's ever done a movie with Ms Anniston. The concept was fair enough...a romantic comedy with a little suspense thrown in. I left the theater feeling..."that's it?" Sure there were a couple cute things here and there, maybe a little suspense, but definitely not enough to carry a movie! The pace was much too slow for me, although I'm sure the actors did what they could with the script they were given. I loved seeing Gerard in Law Abiding Citizen, but this was truly disappointing! I am a big movie fan, but I wouldn't recommend seeing this to any of my friends :(
94 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this