Ibuk

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Iron Man 3 (2013)
All in all a bitter disappointment, 25 April 2013

I haven't reviewed something on IMDb for quite a while but after seeing Iron Man 3 today I felt compelled to express my thoughts on it. First of all let me say that this is my first 2013 release that I've seen. I really liked Iron Man and also quite liked Iron Man 2 so I was quite looking forward to seeing the third instalment. This is the first Iron Man movie Jonathan Favreau didn't direct, I really feel that if he had decided to direct the third instalment we would have been given a better movie than this debacle. All in all I frankly thought it was positively dire on all levels. The returning cast members I felt weren't really up to scratch. Special mention to Paltrow who I've always felt was badly miscast as Pepper Potts. The villains I thought were incredibly poor in this one. I really felt there was no meat to their characters whatsoever and no special character trait that would make them awesome villains. Pearce I thought was disappointing but the biggest disappointment was from Ben Kingsley. He basically did what he's been doing for years, pimping himself for Hollywood in substandard movies in insignificant roles that do nothing for his career. To sum my thoughts in one sentence I just felt it lacked the emotional power of the previous Iron Man movies, I didn't really care for any of the characters.

Without giving too much away the one thing that surprised me was the conclusion. I can only hope that my next cinema experience is better than this one, although it wouldn't have to do very much to surpass it. All in all a very bitter disappointment. My rating for Iron Man 3: 5.5/10

The greatest cartoon of all time bar none, 8 October 2011

I adore The Flintstones, loved it as a child and love it as an adult. The plot is relatively simple, it deals with neighbours and best friends, Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble and their wives, Wilma and Betty. In a way Fred and Barney are like an old married couple, they fall out in almost every episode yet they end up calling a truce towards the end only to fall out in the next episode. What really works for the show is Fred and Barney's different personalities, Fred is hot tempered one but ultimately good at heart whilst Barney is the easy going comedian(his wisecracks provide some of Flintstones best comedy moments).

They live in the Stone age but they still have appliances we have nowadays, only they're run by an animal of some kind. For instance the shower would be operated by a elephant. It started of with just The Flintstones and the Rubbles but as the seasons went on the family started to get bigger and bigger, The Flintstones had a baby girl called Pebbles whilst the Rubbles adopted a boy called Bamm Bamm. In the last season another character was introduced called the Great Gazoo. The Flintstones for me will never get boring and I will continue to love the show.

Kurbaan (2009)
Very underrated Karan Johar production, 20 April 2011

Since the success of Aamir Khan's Fanaa there has been a surge of terrorist themed Bollywood movies, (A Wednesday, New York and now Kurbaan). I've deliberately left out My Name is Khan because it wasn't about the terrorist themselves but about how the common man is affected by their actions. I remember Yash Raj's New York came out now long before Kurbaan and was a pretty big hit. Maybe that's the reason why Kurbaan went largely unnoticed. Another reason could be that it lacks the hallmarks of a Karan Johar production. In a typical Karan Johar movie there's plenty of songs and dancing. and occasionally funny in places. It's a shame really because it's far better than I expected.

Where Kurbaan excels is that it is a far more brutal movie than any of the terrorist themed Bollywood movies I've mentioned. In a typical terrorist themed Bollywood movie someone would come along and stop the bomb from exploding or the terrorist would have a sudden change of heart. In Kurbaan the bombs do actually explode and many are injured or killed. The highlight for was not any of the main leads(they were all great however) but it was Om Puri. I've never ever seen him act so serious in the movie but I suppose his role as the leader required him to do that. On a end note I would encourage fans of Bollywood to see this movie, you won't regret it.

Once a compelling show, now it's run out of steam, 5 April 2011

I haven't reviewed anything on IMDb for a long while and I thought it's high time I returned with one of my reviews. Brothers and sisters was a show I wasn't exactly anticipating for a long time, I happened to be flicking through channels one night when the pilot was airing and there was nothing else on so I gave it a shot I instantly became hooked. It has to be said it is a flawed TV show, the show I feel is pretty repetitive. The first season was all about the illegitimate daughter of William Walker, Rebecca. The show prolonged it for a while and when it was revealed that she wasn't his daughter another illegitimate child pops out of the woodwork. Secondly I have never seen such an unlucky family, in almost every season a family member gets a deadly disease.In the latest season aired in the UK Kitty Walker is diagnosed with a disease and the family is forced to rally around her.

Enough of the negatives. On the plus side it does have Sally Field as the matriarch of the family. She is very endearing and always puts herself out for her family. The family member I can most relate to is the youngest offspring of William and Nora Walker, Justin. Like me he is deeply flawed and I think it would be fair to say he is the black sheep of the family. Despite the flaws he is an incredibly likable character. Whilst I do enjoy the show immensely, I am hoping it doesn't get recommissioned for another season and quit whilst they are ahead.

Not bad 2nd Indy movie, 9 May 2010

With this review I will have reviewed all of the Indy movies on IMDb. For years I had despised this second Indy outing and last week I sat down to rewatch it after a good number of years and to my surprise I ended up enjoying it. TOD is pure excitement from beginning to end,the opening twenty minutes is simply breathtaking and the rope bridge sequence is easily the best thing ever done in an Indiana Jones movie. The plot as it goes involves Indy ending up in an Indian village after almost being killed when his plane crashes. He is accompanied by his sidekick Short Round and a bar singer called Wilhelmina Scott(Spielberg's future wife). Indy is told that a sacred stone has been stolen and that their children have been taken over by evil spirits. So Indy and his two companions go off in he search for the children and the sacred stone. They stay in a Maharajah's palace and later they discover an underground passage which leads them to Mola Ram. What happens after that is a series of exciting chases. Being a huge Bollywood fan the main highlight for me was the casting of Bollywood veteran Amrish Puri. It was his role as Mola Ram that paved a path for him in Bollywood and made him one of Bollywood's best known villains. I will end up saying that whilst TOD has improved quite considerably it is nowhere near as good as Raiders or The Last Crusade. I will rate TOD a 6/10 which is pretty good.

Karan Johar's return to directing is an absolute winner, 20 February 2010

Ever since I saw Kuch Kuch hota hai in the cinema 12 years ago I have had a fondness for Karan Johar movies, I am also a huge huge of Shah Rukh Khan and therefore I have seen every Johar-Khan collaboration. Their last collaboration Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna left me slightly unsure about whether Johar had lost his touch(even though I didn't think it was as bad as people had told me). My Name is Khan has been all over the news in the past weeks over Shah Rukh's comments about his comments about the Indian cricket team and it incited riots. I won't pass comments about who's right and who's wrong but all I can say is I hope his comments don't make people wary of seeing it because it is a truly entertaining movie. see it with my mother and two sisters and was completely in awe of it till the very end. I had doubts about this movie because from the ads it felt like a movie about terrorism which has been covered many times in the past couple of years in Bollywood(New York,Kurbaan,Fanaa etc)but I was surprised at how different it was from other Bollywood terrorism movies. Instead of dealing with the lives of the terrorists it dealt with the impact terrorism has on the normal citizens. In my life I have only cried watching three movies and My Name is Khan is one of them. It is truly a heartwarming movie and has reestablished my faith in the goodness of strangers. In a way it didn't feel like a Karan Johar movie. It didn't have lavish sound and dance numbers for one. It didn't even have any special appearances by actors(Salman Khan in KKHH, Rani Mukherjee in Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham etc). Although Jimmy Shergill also starred in it but he had a rather lengthy role. In short My Name is Khan surpassed my huge expectations and is a wonderful treat for Bollywood fans.

One of my favourite Frasier episodes, 26 November 2009

Out with Dad is without a shadow of a doubt my favourite Frasier episodes. Frasier has taken fancy to a woman who he meets at the opera regularly. To give him moral support Martin tags along with him. The woman brings her mother who takes a fancy to Martin and to avoid hurting her feelings he tells her he's gay. The mother then thinks that he would be ideal person for someone she knows to go out with. After Frasier manages to convince the woman he likes to come back to his apartment so Martin,the woman, her mother all go back to his apartment and the mother's gay friend tags along(following so far). The gay friend tries to hit on Martin and Martin is none the wiser. Then when it suddenly dawns on Martin what's going on he lies to the gay friend and tells him he's actually dating someone and at this point Niles walks into the apartment and for some inexplicable reason Martin declares Niles is his boyfriend, cue lots of hilarity Frasier style. It's episodes like this one that remind fans why they started following Frasier in the first place. Top notch episode from a top notch sitcom.

Best movie of 2007, 10 November 2009

This may end up being one of my personal comments on any movie/TV program I have done for IMDb. I first saw Taare Zameen Par way back when it first released and instantly connected with the character of Ishaan(played by Darsheel Safari). The reason being because like Ishaan I am too dyslexic. I will however try not to ramble on too much about my personal experiences. I identified with everything Ishaan went through right down to the fact that he was misunderstood by his family who think of him as lazy. One of my favourite moments from Taare Zameen Par is the part when Aamir Khan goes to Ishaan's parents and Aamir khan forces Ishaan's dad to read Chinese writing on the box of a toy, that was truly a wonderful scene. Taare Zameen Par made an excellent point on what Dyslexic children lack in some areas they make up for in others. Ishaan may have been bad at English but his talents lied in Painting.

One memory I have as a child is I was very bad at maths and my dad used to set me Maths challenges at home so that I would do better. Maths just didn't register with me and when I got it wrong he would get increasingly frustrated with me. He thought I was lazy when in fact I had dyslexic and it hadn't been identified yet.

What is so incredible about Taare Zameen Par is that it refuses to blame Ishaan's parents for not understanding their son but instead makes a point about how ignorant people in countries like India for example are about Dyslexia. Some Bollywood movies are made just to entertain their audiences but movies like Taare Zameen Par not only entertain but also raise awareness of social issues like Dyslexia and everyone involved with the production of Taare Zameen Par should be congratulated for making such a fine movie with a great social message. I don't know about the education system is in India seeing as I live in the UK but I bet more schools in India are more tolerant of dyslexic children and do their best to help them and they have Taare Zameen Par to thank for that. On a parting note I would just like to say that TZP gives hope and understanding for people with Dyslexia and movies like this one should be encouraged.

Saudagar (1991)
From the Golden era of Subhash Ghai, 27 September 2009

When I think of Subhash Ghai's Saudagar two things come to mind. Firstly is the immensely popular song Ilu Ilu, secondly is the coming together of two titan of Bollywood, Dilip Kumar and Raaj Kumar. Dilip Kumar had previously acted by Ghai's Karma and Vidhaata. Saudagar came out in 91 where Subhash Ghai was still a trusted director that churned out hit after hit,Karz, Hero,Meri Jung and Ram Lakhan. The story of Saudagar goes like this. Two childhood friends fall out due to a misunderstanding created by Amrish Puri. Decades pass and they are now sworn enemies. Then their grandchildren(newcomers Vivek Mushran and Manisha Koraila)meet and fall in love without knowing their families legendary dispute and they conspire to make their grandparents friends again. Subhash Ghai always had a good ear for music and out of all his movies in my opinion Saudagar had the best music. All the songs are simply sublime, my favourites are Ilu Ilu and Teri Yaad. Subhash Ghai even managed to assemble a great cast together(most of whom are veterans of Subhash Ghai movies). The cast consisted of Jackie Shroff(in a special appearance)Deepti Naval,Amrish Puri,Dilip Tahil, Anupum Kher and many many more. Saudagar is very long but with a movie as entertaining as Saudagar I say the longer the better. Watching Saudagar is a sad reminder of how Mr Ghai's career has taken a turn for the worse over the past couple of years.

Not bad 2nd Craig Bond, 20 September 2009

OK this is my third comment on QOS, the first one got so many negative responses I felt I had no choice but to delete, the second one I didn't feel do it justice and now this is my third(in fact I have never had to do so many reviews for one movie before). Those who did catch my first comment before I deleted it will know that I was repulsed by it(I remember using the phrase about it belonging at the bottom of Hollywood's sewer). On my second viewing I was rather surprised about the fact that I actually enjoyed it(which prompted me to delete my original review). On my third viewing I really enjoyed it, in fact a lot more than some of the older Bond movies(YOLT,DAF,LALD, TMWTGG, Octopussy,AVTAK and the Brosnan Bond's not including GE which I like. QOS takes place right after Casino Royale. Bond, still reeling after Vesper's betrayal goes on the hunt for businessman Dominic Greene who has brought a plot of land in a desert. It soon transpire that Dominic Greene plans to take control of Bolivia's water supply. Add to that a vengeful Bond girl(Camille) who wants to kill Colonel Medrano who has links to Dominic Greene and you have an intensely gripping Bond movie.

What I didn't like about QOS on my first viewing is what I enjoy so much about it now. For instance on my first viewing I found the character of Dominic Greene rather ordinary but I realise now that is part of his appeal. The producers wanted to give a QOS a more grounded feel to it and therefore didn't make Dominic Greene into some megalomaniac but wanted to make him more understated and seem more human than previous Bond villains like Blofeld for instance. Another thing I enjoy about QOS now that I didn't like on my first viewing is how it toffs it caps to previous Bond movies. I love the Goldfinger tribute when Strawberry Fields is killed by Greene and is dowsed in Oil.

QOS, although it received mainly positive feedback from fans it has also received much negativity. I think the negativity comes from the fact that at time QOS doesn't feel like a Bond movie. It is more to the point than most Bond movies, at just under 110 minutes it is probably one of the shortest Bond movie. QOS has not only appealed to fans of Bond but also from non Bond fans. I think gaining appreciation from non Bond fans is vitally important if the producers want to franchise to continue and be successful. I think QOS's main strength is it's action sequences, in particular the opening car chase. I don't know what the general consensus about the action sequences in QOS but I find them to be shockingly brutal.

What I learnt about QOS on my third viewing is that it's one of those Bond movies which some Bond fans may have to watch more than once to fully appreciate it's brilliance.

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]