Ibuk

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

......And now Big Bang Theory has officially become a soap opera, 20 May 2017

It's been a long time coming but the show is finally scraping the bottom of the barrel.

First Howard and Bernadette got married, then Leonard and Penny and now the unthinkable has happened....Sheldon has proposed to Amy!.

I used to adore the show, still get some great laughs from watching the earlier seasons. That said the past couple of seasons have been concentrating on their separate lives and the plot lines have become boring, for instance the episode where Howard and Bernadette try to get the raccoon out of their hot tub or the guys working on their guidance system in this season. For some reason the writers have forgotten that they're making a sitcom and now are trying to make a soap opera by making the characters pregnant or getting them married off.

Friends managed to send the characters off in different directions and still be very funny but it seems the Big Bang Theory writers have been less successful. I no longer have belly laughs when I watch this show, only very minor chuckles, which for a sitcom is simply not good enough.

I have stuck by the sitcom out of loyalty but the final nail in the coffin was the season ten finale, which compelled me to write this review.

I never thought I'd say this but the show has outstayed its welcome by a couple of years.

Now that the finale ended with a cliffhanger it seems they'll be at least one more season.

I can only hope the producers decide that enough is enough and finally pull the plug after the 11th season. Although I am still unsure whether I'll be watching.

King Uncle (1993)
One of Rakesh Roshan's most underrated movie, 13 July 2016

I consider King Uncle to be a very overlooked movie. At the time of it's release it didn't make much of an impact at the box office. It's a shame really because it's a very enjoyable, fun filled movie with Jackie Shroff on great form in the main lead.

Anu Agarwal and Nagma provide good support and this movie is also notable for having an early performance from Shah Rukh Khan, before he really hit it big time with Darr. There is a pretty decent supporting cast consisting of Deven Verma, Dilip Tahil amongst others. As the main villain, I found Paresh Rawal to be terrifying as a child. Off course now he's more known as a comedy actor, I wish he would go back to doing the odd serious role like this one once in a while.

That said the highlight of the movie is Pooja Ruparel as Munna. Her acting is just so natural. After DDLJ, she disappeared from movies but in the past couple of years it seems that she's making a comeback, which is great news. The songs, as per usual in a Rakesh Roshan production are absolutely top notch. All in all rewatching King Uncle makes me feel nostalgic about a very happy childhood.

Baseraa (1981)
A very enjoyable family drama, 3 July 2016

Mental illness is a subject that generally serves as a sideplot in Bollywood, for example the typical Bollywood movie would have the mother losing her mental balance after the death of her husband (Meri Jung). With that in mind I approached Baseera with an open mind and was very surprised by how mental illness is so pivotal to the plot. Rakhee is superb in the lead as a woman who becomes mentally ill after seeing her beloved sister as a widow and how she returns to her home after 14 years after making a recovery. Unfortunately her husband has married her beloved sister in her absence (not to mention fathered a child by her) and how the family try to keep up the pretense that everything was as the woman left her house all those years ago and what happens when she finds out. Yes the scenario is improbable to say the least but the cast really make the movie work. Other reviews have stated that the ending is bad but the way I see it is that the scenario is so tricky that there was no possible good way to resolve the situation. Shashi Kapoor is tremendous as her husband and Rekha as her husband whilst former 80's actress Poonam Dhillon and Raj Kiran lend excellent support. It was only after seeing it that I found out that the immensely talented Gulzar Sahib had a hand in writing this movie, which explains why this movie is of such high quality. All in all Baseera is a highly enjoyable drama and far better than the usual masala flicks.

Dilwale (2015)
Meaningless fare from Rohit Shetty, 26 March 2016

I used to really like Shah Rukh Khan's movies, he used to make good enjoyable movies. Nowadays I feel he is contributing to the regression of Bollywood cinema with movies like Dilwale, Chennai Express and Happy New Year. He was once the king of Bollywood but now it seems his contemporaries have now whizzed past him and doing more meaningful fare, like Akshay Kumar with Baby and Airlift or Salman Khan with Bharangi Bhaijaan. Anyways back to Dilwale, it is basically a rehash of much better movies, like of instance Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, in the case the siblings of Shah Rukh and Kajol reuniting them with typical Rohit Shetty action thrown in for good measure, the result being an uneasy mix of romance and action. The movie is littered with many unnecessary scenes and plot lines which serve no purpose other than to fill the time. Onto the performances Shah Rukh and Kajol were good but it was Varun Dhawan who impressed in this movie. I did see him in Student of the year but for some reason he didn't impress me that much. He has a promising career ahead of him in Bollywood. His co star Kirti Sanon is as wooden as they get. Bollywood veterans Kabir Bedi and Vinod Khanna are decent enough in small roles whilst comedy king Johnny Lever is tolerable and Boman Irani hams it up in a villainous role. To make matters worse the ending I thought was a bit of an anticlimax.

All in all disappointing fare given the talents involved. I suppose the only good thing to come out of this is that I was planning to see this movie on the big screen but was putt off after the reviews started coming in.

Akayla (1991)
A lesser effort from Ramesh Sippy, 3 February 2016

At the time there must have been a huge buzz surrounding Akayla as it was directed by Ramesh Sippy, who directed Amitabh Bachan in Sholay, Shaan and Shakti. This movie also reunited Big B with Shashi Kapoor, who were last seen in Yash Chopra's Silsila. Unfortunately the end product is a pretty average effort. To be honest I hadn't seen it in it's entirety for at least a decade.

As a movie it shouldn't have worked at all but it remains watchable thanks to Big B, who carries the movie on his shoulders. He is really intense in this movie, which is what the audience at the time expected at the time from him. That said even he isn't able to salvage the mediocre material. He is supported by a decent cast in supporting roles, consisting of Jackie Shroff, Meenakshi, Amrita Singh and Aditya Pancholi and a special appearance by Helen.

There isn't really a script to speak of really, the entire movie is basically Amitabh confronting the villains again and again. The main villain himself, Keith Stevenson is very weak. I am wondering why the directors went for him when they could have found a better villain like Amrish Puri or Raza Murad etc. Stevenson really hams it up with a double role. The songs are decent, particularly Aag lag jaye, which is a great song.

All in all I think without Big B's performance it would have been a much worse movie than it is.

Beta (1992)
Indra Kumar's best, 23 January 2016

Family dramas like this one were all the rage in the 80's/early 90's so on paper Beta would have felt like more of the same. Beta however is heads and shoulders above other movies of it's kind thanks to the cast.

Aruna Irani deserves a very special mention, she was superb in a negative role and in my opinion this is her best performance. Madhuri is also tremendous, the scenes between her and Aruna Irani are electric. Anil Kapoor does well too in the male lead but in my opinion he is overshadowed by the two women. Among the supporting actors the late Lakmikant Berde deserves a special mention as he is hilarious in this movie whilst Anupum Kher does well in a negative role.

The songs are simply excellent, particularly Dhak dhak karne laga and Koyal se teri boli.

Yes the ending is a tad bit too melodramatic and unrealistic but that's what the audiences went for at the time.

Indra Kumar has made some pretty enjoyable movies like Dil, Ishq, Mann and Masti but Beta is without a doubt my favourite from him

He did very recently try to make another melodrama Super Naani but the movie was a total washout. I seriously believe that these days nobody would go for movies like Beta, they were most definitely a product of their time in the nicest way possible.

I revisited it only a few days ago after having not seen it in at least two decades and it was just as good as I remembered.

So on a closing note I would just like to say that Beta is without a doubt one of the best Anil Kapoor- Madhuri collaborations.

Maqsad (1984)
A pretty typical 80's Bollywood blockbuster, 26 July 2015

Maqsad when released became a huge success and it's not hard to figure out why. It had everything the movie going public would have wanted from a Bollywood movie (action, comedy,romance and drama). Reviewing it 30 years on and after I have seen it for the first time I can't say I enjoyed it all that much. Maybe it's because after watching so many blockbusters from the 80's, I have become somewhat cynical towards them. For instance Shreeram Lagoo at the start depressing over their poor status frankly annoyed me. Plotwise it is pretty much all over the place, with the writer trying to cram in as much as they can into the movie. The movie doesn't really get going until almost two hours into the movie when someone is killed. The music, by Bhappi Lahiri wasn't that remarkable either. It is however worth watching just for the superb cast consisting of Jeetendra, Rajesh Khanna, Jaya Pradha, Sridevi and a supporting cast of well known names like Om Shivpuri, Waheeda Rehman, Amjad Khan, Shreeram Lagoo and a special appearance from Shatraughan Sinha. Prem Chopra, Ranjeet, Kadr Khan and Shakti Kapoor provide the mandatory villainy for a Bollywood blockbuster of the 80's. They go through the motions basically, nothing special to make them stand out among the standard Bollywood villains. I can understand that movie making has changed vastly over the years and Maqsad was clearly a product of it's time. Maybe if I had seen the movie in my childhood then I would have had a much different opinion of it.

Iron Man 3 (2013)
All in all a bitter disappointment, 25 April 2013

I haven't reviewed something on IMDb for quite a while but after seeing Iron Man 3 today I felt compelled to express my thoughts on it. First of all let me say that this is my first 2013 release that I've seen. I really liked Iron Man and also quite liked Iron Man 2 so I was quite looking forward to seeing the third instalment. This is the first Iron Man movie Jonathan Favreau didn't direct, I really feel that if he had decided to direct the third instalment we would have been given a better movie than this debacle. All in all I frankly thought it was positively dire on all levels. The returning cast members I felt weren't really up to scratch. Special mention to Paltrow who I've always felt was badly miscast as Pepper Potts. The villains I thought were incredibly poor in this one. I really felt there was no meat to their characters whatsoever and no special character trait that would make them awesome villains. Pearce I thought was disappointing but the biggest disappointment was from Ben Kingsley. He basically did what he's been doing for years, pimping himself for Hollywood in substandard movies in insignificant roles that do nothing for his career. To sum my thoughts in one sentence I just felt it lacked the emotional power of the previous Iron Man movies, I didn't really care for any of the characters.

Without giving too much away the one thing that surprised me was the conclusion. I can only hope that my next cinema experience is better than this one, although it wouldn't have to do very much to surpass it. All in all a very bitter disappointment. My rating for Iron Man 3: 5.5/10

The greatest cartoon of all time bar none, 8 October 2011

I adore The Flintstones, loved it as a child and love it as an adult. The plot is relatively simple, it deals with neighbours and best friends, Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble and their wives, Wilma and Betty. In a way Fred and Barney are like an old married couple, they fall out in almost every episode yet they end up calling a truce towards the end only to fall out in the next episode. What really works for the show is Fred and Barney's different personalities, Fred is hot tempered one but ultimately good at heart whilst Barney is the easy going comedian(his wisecracks provide some of Flintstones best comedy moments).

They live in the Stone age but they still have appliances we have nowadays, only they're run by an animal of some kind. For instance the shower would be operated by a elephant. It started of with just The Flintstones and the Rubbles but as the seasons went on the family started to get bigger and bigger, The Flintstones had a baby girl called Pebbles whilst the Rubbles adopted a boy called Bamm Bamm. In the last season another character was introduced called the Great Gazoo. The Flintstones for me will never get boring and I will continue to love the show.

Kurbaan (2009)
Very underrated Karan Johar production, 20 April 2011

Since the success of Aamir Khan's Fanaa there has been a surge of terrorist themed Bollywood movies, (A Wednesday, New York and now Kurbaan). I've deliberately left out My Name is Khan because it wasn't about the terrorist themselves but about how the common man is affected by their actions. I remember Yash Raj's New York came out now long before Kurbaan and was a pretty big hit. Maybe that's the reason why Kurbaan went largely unnoticed. Another reason could be that it lacks the hallmarks of a Karan Johar production. In a typical Karan Johar movie there's plenty of songs and dancing. and occasionally funny in places. It's a shame really because it's far better than I expected.

Where Kurbaan excels is that it is a far more brutal movie than any of the terrorist themed Bollywood movies I've mentioned. In a typical terrorist themed Bollywood movie someone would come along and stop the bomb from exploding or the terrorist would have a sudden change of heart. In Kurbaan the bombs do actually explode and many are injured or killed. The highlight for was not any of the main leads(they were all great however) but it was Om Puri. I've never ever seen him act so serious in the movie but I suppose his role as the leader required him to do that. On a end note I would encourage fans of Bollywood to see this movie, you won't regret it.

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]