moonchildiva

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Next Stop Murder (2010) (TV)
Patricia Highsmith wrote this story...., 19 October 2010

I didn't even bother finishing this movie!! I feel that credit should have been given to Patricia Highsmith who already WROTE this premise a long time ago in Strangers on a Train!! Very poor, sorry to say. Nothing else was on TV so I tried this one but I didn't even give it 40 minutes. Are you trying to tell me that ANYONE would charge up thousands and then dump it in a trash pail? Even if they were crazy, this would not happen, I really believe THAT, not what happened in the film. I really hate to see Lifetime waste our time with such c r a p. There's little talent involved in the making of this horrible movie. Sorry to say, but true.

Good Story, 20 November 2007

Racist/Drunken/Criminal Richard Rust as Coley Baker begins this episode harassing Mexicans in a bar. That's all he gets to do before he's stabbed to death in the back hallway. DARN. But then, the story actually does get good. After recovering from my initial disappointment in Rust's FAST appearance on screen, I found myself immersed in the story that concerned a business owner, the people who work for him and the owner's secrets. Still, I wish Rust had been in it a little longer. Part of the story is about who killed him, because a young Mexican worker whose wife is about to deliver their first child is the main suspect. Anything with Glenn Ford in it is OK by me! I slightly recall this show but at the moment I only have two episodes, and Crisscross is the only one I've watched.

I'm glad I saw this movie last night, 24 January 2007

We were intrigued by this movie last night when it showed on TCM. I've always been a Ben Hecht fan so it was good to see something I'd never seen before - in the old days, Bill Kennedy out of Windsor/Detroit showed many old films on his TV show at 1 pm but I don't remember ever seeing this one. Rita Hayworth was just glorious! As usual. I wonder if Marilyn Monroe saw this movie and used Rita's slight speech impediment. Douglas Fairbanks Jr. is always wonderful. I'm a fan of such actors as John Qualen and Thomas Mitchell. They are good in everything. I also liked finding two new actors to look for in old films, Jack Roper, the boxer who played Eddie, and Eddie Foster who played Louie Artino. The black & white was almost delicious, the rain put the movie into a certain mood and the sets were perfection. Wardrobe was easy, no one changed, except for taking off their rain coats. I liked it and I want to see it again soon, which shouldn't be a problem with TCM, they have started showing the same movies over & over anyway. I recommend Angels Over Broadway!

This is NOT a nice film, not typical of the season..., 4 December 2006

...but fabulous! Deanna's a torch singer, and she looks all grown up and gorgeous, she doesn't sing opera in this. Gene's a murdering gambler with a Mother Complex. How can you miss with a Maugham story? You can't. And Gene's mother is played by the great actor Gale Sondergaard. This movie is underrated and ignored, but should be seen by more people. I have it on tape and watch it every year around the holidays, it's one of my favorites, but it has little to do with Christmas. If you're a Gene Kelly fan, you'll particularly enjoy watching him act, but not dance! One lovely scene concerns a soldier going to Midnight Mass with Deanna where she gets hysterical, crying. It's very memorable. I recommend.

One of the most memorable episodes, 24 October 2006

I remember this episode clearly even though I haven't seen it since 1964. First of all, it scared me and most of all, Christopher Lee has always been one of my favorites. That night, in Detroit, the wind was blowing very hard, we made fudge that came out SO GOOD and our whole family watched Alfred Hitchcock because Lee was in it. This was the era of one TV in the family, so they were nice to comply. I have to find a copy of this SOON. Every once in awhile, someone in our family will say, remember that night...... and it's this one. I agree with the people here who said this was one of the best of all. It was interesting to see Lee on television, a rare occurrence.

Guest Starring Richard Rust as Kip Kiley, Trumpet Player, 17 October 2006

I've watched this episode about 3 times since I found it on VHS. I'm a Richard Rust fan, so of course, I think it's well done, but it really is. It starts with a close up of Rust answering a ringing phone in a bar, and we can hear that it's a woman who wants to speak to him but he won't. So the woman, Cindy played by Suzanne Leigh (she is Tracey Bregman's mother, who plays Lauren on Young and The Restless, by the way) goes to Andrew Duggan for help in bringing Kiley around again. Turns out that he went to jail even though he wasn't guilty. She married someone who could get him out in 3 years instead of the 5 he was sentenced, so she does it. But he won't listen to her explain WHY she did it. He's working as a bartender in a dive by the water, it's owned by an older man who is being harassed into sale by a mobster, who has a secret reason for wanting to own it. One night the old man turns up dead and suspicion turns on Kiley because he just got out of jail. The rest of the episode is about everyone trying to prove Kiley either guilty or innocent. It's good television, well written, well acted, and has a really nice ending which I will not divulge here, natch. Bourbon Street Beat is a forgotten TV show that should not be. I recommend it!

"Dreamer...Am I Only a Dreamer?" from I'm Moody by Fulton/Samuels, 8 August 2006

Kevin, wonderfully played by a young and handsome Richard Rust, is a medical student who has not been able to go back to school because he feels he needs more money. He tried working and going at the same time, but he just couldn't handle it. He is, however, trying hard to hit a strike in a mine. The townspeople think he's a little crazy and never miss a chance to razz him. The Littlest Hobo doesn't have much of a part in this film, he really doesn't even solve any of the problems. Two men come to town to photograph birds and they run into Kevin who explains what he's doing there. The men go into the woods and run into trouble with a bird that attacks one of them. The worst of Kevin's detractors is amazed to see Kevin save the man's life. He's never believed that Kevin had any talent or inclination to become a doctor. Even Kevin's fiancée had gotten tired of waiting and they'd argued, broken up. The saving of a life shakes everyone up, especially Kevin, who decides to return to med school and finally realize his dream through the hard work he thought he could not handle.

Inspirational!, 11 May 2006

What a sweet film! I had never seen it before yesterday on TCM, May 10 2006. I am a fan of both actors and actually it was interesting to see them in such roles - Douglas as an "evil" person and Johnson as a priest! The whole story had the Clarence Brown quality that movie fans have come to love so much. I felt like some of the locations were the same ones used in Godfather III. The black and white is very rich, it is a pleasure to watch. The real shots of the Vatican celebrations are breathtaking. The comic relief of the detective is charming. I must admit I got choked up twice. I was brought up Catholic and though I do not practice etc. I still at least have nostalgic feelings for films such as When in Rome. I recommend!

Caught in the Act (2004) (TV)
good for a few hours of Saturday resting, 11 March 2006

I disagree completely with the other commenter, Holly's accent is just as good as those considered such great acting by Meryl Streep (which I do not, by the way.) I did not find it annoying NOR distracting (and yet I DO find Streep's awful accents BOTH) -- I've seen this movie twice and enjoyed it both times. It's a good story, the acting is well done and MAN that music by Marty Stuart and Wynonna is superb... that music should be on a CD for purchase. I recommend this movie for AFTER you've done some Saturday chores and just want to relax on the couch. I mean, what fun!! A woman who is "wronged" ha-ha finds her way into not only solving a murder but into new employment. It's rather encouraging, if you think about it. I'm not saying this is a classic film or anything but I am saying that if there's going to be a new kinda classic, such as LIFETIME classic, then this one qualifies!

Better than most feature films!, 5 December 2005

I am so glad I accidentally found this on TV as I was dozing off for a nap on Saturday. It kept me awake and completely charmed me. Not only were the actors very good, the settings were gorgeous (how could they NOT BE in Napa Valley?) and the music was a perfect match. I want to watch this movie again, seriously. Because of her character on Raymond, I've never been a Heaton fan, but she won me over in this movie! I base my opinion for many films on whether or not they made a rainy or cold Saturday or Sunday BETTER. This one DID IT! We could not remember the name of the actor who played the uncle, but we knew him, so when the credits actually named the actors at the end, this movie received a few more PLUSES from us! I recommend heartily!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]