ages_hence

My Ever Changing List Of Favorite Bonds, 19 May 2007

It always feels wrong to say that Sean Connery is not my favorite Bond. He invented the role...he is Bond. So perhaps it is a fine line to say that my favorite Bond movies are with Roger Moore. My introduction to all Bonds in my youth was through TV. Unaware of promotional campaigns or what was already existing on film... Bond weeks were a treat. It was a shock when I had three days straight of Sean and suddenly this Roger guy showed up. The TV guide only said it was a Bond movie. As a kid I'm waiting for the real Bond to show up...I didn't like it...for about two minutes : ) Most of Roger's Bonds have that one great stunt and one great chase and all of his movies have great music. Never mind the fact that he is great too. Much has been made of his turning Bond into a comedy act but he carried the series and it is why it exists today. And anybody with open eyes and ears will realize that he played a very tough Bond in this flic. The biggest disappointment to me is the sad decision of minimalizing a terrific car jump with a quirky sound effect. It always made no sense to me to hear this sound effect with the stunt...it has the effect that you are not watching a real stunt at all ... that it must be some trick and not the real life, death defying jump that it was. If George Lucas can remake Star Wars ... please Bond producers....I'd rather have a moment of silence than hear that annoying sound effect. OK enough ranting....what to say about plot and scenery? Great thing about Bonds is the travelogue. Nobody in America was travelling to Bangkok or Hong Kong in the numbers of today. This was exotic. When they talk about a "Bottoms Up Club" and "Peninsula Hotel" with green limos....this is real life. Bond was filmed on location and a boat race in Bangkok canals is a boat race in Bangok canals! An original plot and character in Scaramanga ....loved that golden bullet idea and it created a better atmosphere for Bond and M to develop an on screen chemistry in at least three scenes together. Robert Brown was a great M but for me the best James Bonds are with Bernard Lee. So sit back and watch a terrific cast, hear terrific music, and tour the great cities of Asia!

Unforgettable and Intriguing, 18 February 2007

Only saw it once... I will never sit through it again. I like films with happy endings. But it is a must see for the art of story telling and it sure gets your brain working,philosophizing and sympathizing.I always give ten out of ten when a film has accomplished 100% what it set out to do.But this is a one shot sitting for me.....maybe people would like to sit through a second time to understand it. One thing everybody will get off the film is the feeling of despair ...that something went wrong in this man's life...you feel he is a good man...but perhaps he has not acted good at all times and it has cost him...or he has played by most rules and still his life turned into a failure. I believe he called the "river" he was swimming..... "The Lucinda". Now his river is swimming pools and since swimming pools are not connected I interpret the name to mean.... loose ends....lucinda...loose ends. Reading some other interpretations regarding the passage of time which I never noticed on first viewing it could be the man has lost his mind possibly due to financial problems or marital problems or perhaps those problems are due to his mind going in the first place. In any case he has lost everything ..he has no respect from others and now no family. A final thought.....is it possible that by swimming in other people's pools...interpreted as other people's lives... that he has lost his own? Or is it a symbolism that life passes us by if we neglect certain things....and even for a short time of neglect there is no recovery? As I mentioned earlier I won't be watching this movie again but I have read some of the other comments. One noted that he has an alcoholic drink at every pool. Perhaps this is a symbol in that the only thing people are giving him for free is alcohol and nothing else.And it may well be alcohol is the root of his problem.Anyways Im sure the screenwriters had no idea what this movie was about either....at least not as a whole .....but that is the cool thing about this...there is a message speaking to our subconscious.Im reminded of Pink Floyd's "Time" when I think of this movie.

Thank You Magic Shadows, 22 January 2007

Anybody who grew up in Ontario might remember TVO's "Magic Shadows".Elwy Yost would spin half an hour of a movie...each day for the week. Now I don't know how anybody today could watch that and even then as a kid I only watched one entire movie on Magic Shadows.That was the week he showed "Its a Wonderful Life". This was not the Christmas classic then.Mid seventies I had never heard of it and I was excited to watch every half hour of it. The audience knows there is a man who will be brought to despare and that he is a good man...well he must be because the angels are talking about how to save him.It is in this manner... how the story is set up... that there is a suspense and eagerness in watching.It almost feels like two films because you are watching the buildup to James Stewart's tragic demise all in flashback and then we are in the present and he isn't saved yet. Really well done film because it entertains and makes you feel good. Glad to see it became a classic and will always be there for us at Christmas. On the serious and dramatic side what happened to George Bailey could happen to any of us....he has the best intentions but at the end he is feeling unfulfilled and abandoned.James Stewart's acting captures this very well. Thank you Elwy Yost...Its A Wonderful Life!

More to see and hear each time, 21 January 2007

I thought this was only a great Clint Eastwood movie with the best music when I first watched it on TV. At that time you are watching a 3 hr movie only waiting for Clint's appearances....and the good tune. Now it is a movie about Eli Wallach's character and Clint is more like great background. I also appreciate the entire score more than only the title score. Anybody would have to wonder why is Clint the Good? He leaves Eli in the desert and he is working the law and profiting.Bad Eli has to work so hard to get what falls so easily into Good Clint's hands.But does one really deserve the gold more than the other?For me the hero has become Eli Wallach.One fantastic moment for me is Eli running through the cemetery looking for the grave with the gold.The music is excellent and the editing captures the moment when Eli is gold crazy...I feel sympathy and hope and a lot of things for Eli at that moment.This is so important to him it is tragic.Anyways a happy ending follows and all is well. Always felt this movie lended itself to a prequil in that a history was alluded to in the film between The Good The Bad and The Ugly.

Ford owes some royalties to Chuck, 21 January 2007

Whoever likes to cheapen Charles Bronson as an actor will not acknowledge this movies exists.This is one of my top ten movies if I ever make a list.What really puts it over the top for me is the great casting...particularly that of Al Lettieri.This man is wonderful to watch.The scene in his trailer after the escape when he hits his fist in the table and yells. Did anybody watching want to be in that trailer? You could feel the tension. As big an action star as Charles Bronson is you won't think he is capable of beating Al. But of course he bests Al continuously throughout the movie in hero like fashion.The character of Mr Majestyk is that of an everyman really.He has the low goal of simply earning a living and harvesting a crop of melons.When he is challenged by hoodlums and police he shines like a diamond but low key. Ford F150s have been a big seller going all the way back to 1974. When you see this movie you will know where the love affair with the F150 started.The movie contains a wonderful little chase scene and the vehicle takes a beating. Big pluses Charles is great, Al is great the F150 is great,good title sequence and music. Oh and the ending.....shall we say it is like a point of business..... taken care of....NEXT!

No Joy In Bond Land, 21 January 2007

This summary contains spoilers because it comes with a "what I would like to have seen done" list.A fan of Bond movies...I never thought about why...until this one. It is because the Bond movies have always had an element of joy about them. James Bond isn't saving the world just for England but because he loves life and the good things in it. As an audience we get to watch him enjoy life in between terrific stunts. Drinking great champagne. Dining in a tailored suit. Travelling in style and never lonely. After Moore... Bond changed ....not only with the actors but also in the writing and retrenching of Bond. The DVD with the deleted scene of the magic carpet ride illustrates exactly what I am talking about in terms of direction.I would have left that scene in.It is perfectly in line with a Roger Moore Bond. Good fun and witty. But of course not gritty enough for the new style. I found Timothy Dalton's dialogue and delivery to be superb.There is good humour in a very low key style. Why the compliments?Because this is a movie half good and half bad. So far the points on my half bad part is only that it is not what I enjoy....while of course there are a lot of Bond fans that love a more grounded and realistic Bond...so what could I change that I think most would agree with? The casting of the Bad guys. While it is hard to pick a favorite bad guy in Bond film history it is easy for me to say that the bad guys in TLDL is the worst casting. I also felt that the scene with a milk man and his milk bottles turning into bombs was very painful to watch.That whole scene should have had a makeover. One thing that couldn't be changed was the unfortunate illness Walter Gottel was suffering and he was unable to make a considerable appearance.Had he been in the role given to John Reese Davies then it might have been a different picture altogether because of our familiarity with Gottel. The ending was really awful. Everyone shows up at the party and Bond is waiting to surprise the cellist in her room. The Afghan leader should not have appeared at the concert...this is a far more silly moment than the magic carpet ride would have been. This being Timothy's first Bond the screen writers should have given us an ending to anticipate his next movie. Instead it was a very dull ending. Great points about it....Timothy was very good .....good stunts....Brown's "M" is very good....rooted in an actual Fleming short story.

Car thief gets into a long car chase., 21 January 2007

This movie deserves 10 out of 10 because it is what it is. A great time warp that captures a decade and parades a host of vehicles.One sequence done in slow motion from two angles and then at full speed is very artistic and perhaps unexpected for what appears to be a simple film. The dialogue and acting is open to criticism however at the same time there is a reality feel to it. After all most people aren't that wordy anyways. A very nice film only meant to share the producer's passion and joy for cars. You will find yourself thinking of other films and their car chases.I thought of "Bullit" and "Mr. Majestyk" at certain points.