Reviews written by
The Black Englishman

Page 1 of 77:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The 17 Year Old Dorothy Dandridge, 8 April 2002

After acting alongside of Ray Milland in 1940, the 17 year old Dorothy Dandridge went on to act in this rather mediocre film titled 'Four Shall Die'. I still think that Dandridge was very lucky to act in Hollywood films during her teens at this stage in America's bleak history.

Irene (1940)
The 17 Year Old Dorothy Dandridge, 8 April 2002

Although I am not a big fan of Ray Milland (the exception being 'Dial M For Murder'), I did gravitate towards this film because of the 17 year old Dorothy Dandridge. Despite the difficulties experienced by marginalised groups in America at this time, Dandridge was very lucky to act alongside Milland in her teens.

The 14 Year Old Dorothy Dandridge, 8 April 2002

I'm afraid that the Marx Brothers don't do it for me. It was the 14 year old Dorothy Dandridge who had a small part in this film that wooed me over to it. Apart from Maureen O'Sullivan, there was nothing going for this film.

The 13 Year Old Dorothy Dandridge, 8 April 2002

Although I would not normally watch a film like this, I watched it because it featured the 13 year old Dorothy Dandridge. Ethel Merman musicals did not appeal to me, neither did Bing Crosby. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers won my interest in 'Top Hat', but apart from that, I found this film dull.

The 18 Year Old Dorothy Dandridge, 8 April 2002

The 18 year old Dorothy Dandridge got to act alongside John Wayne in this film 'Lady From Louisiana', which, although quite dull watching, was a great opportunity for Dandridge. Once again, she was very lucky to break into Hollywood films during her teens.

The 12 Year Old Dorothy Dandridge, 4 April 2002

As I am a fan of 'The Little Rascals', I decided to take a look at this short film which featured the 12 year old Dorothy Dandridge making her screen debut. Although the piece is for little children, they can be regarded as being on a par with Laurel and Hardy for a younger audience.

Wilma (1977) (TV)
The 23 Year Old Denzel Washington, 3 April 2002

Having graduated from university and spent a year learning drama, the 23 year old Denzel Washington landed his screen debut as an 18 year old athlete in 'Wilma'. He did not have the sexy appeal then that women associate him with now, but it was the beginning of his screen career.

The 31 Year Old Sidney Poitier, 3 April 2002

Having acted with Clark Gable and Yvonne De Carlo in 'Band of Angels', Tony Curtis wanted to get alongside the 31 year old Sidney Poitier in the ground-breaking 'The Defiant Ones'. Although dated and predictable now, at the time, it earned Poitier an academy award nomination.

The 30 Year Old Denzel Washington, 3 April 2002

The 30 year old Denzel Washington acted in two films in 1984. Both were insignificant, but 'A Soldier's Story' had the best plot. It was relevant for the time, but now it seems a bit dated. The issues that were raised at the time needed to be expressed, but now it needs more subtlety.

The 29 Year Old Steve McQueen, 3 April 2002

This film only serves to team the 29 year old Steve McQueen up with Frank Sinatra and Gina Lollingbrigida. It has no plot, no point of engagement, and no characters that we can care for. The script was weak, and was a complete waste of time.

Page 1 of 77:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]