christinedesler

May (2002)
Remarkable..., 7 June 2004

I don't know really how to say this movie is good or bad. It's a very cheesy film in a great many ways, and many would figure it was bad. It's like someone who doesn't understand Broadway theatre trying to critique it. That's what I've seen done here to this movie. People who don't understand black comedy mixed with horror ... It's not a movie that takes itself completely seriously.

The movie struck me as interesting because of the supposedly plain jane main character, May, who has had no friends her entire life growing up, except for this doll that her mother made her. Yet she isn't even allowed to touch the doll, so when she grows up she has no attachments, no social skills, and is most definately unable to have normal interactions with others because of her lack of physical detachment as well as her emotional ones. Then of course the typical happens. She becomes obsessed with this one man - actually his hands! She knows so little about how a relationship works that her confused mind is easily manipulated and confused by a movie he shows her, and she takes this movie as truth and what should be... that's how I took it anyways. Then the girl is betrayed, again and again by different people in her life. She loses her only friend, and then goes pschyco!

I do have to say one thing, though. I completely do not understand the ending, and I wished that they had extended the plot at least five minutes further. I don't know if the girl went completely nuts for the ending to occur (I mean obviously she's a maniac but is what we see on screen really happening in the last thirty seconds or is it her imagination?)

I don't know why people keep saying this is some sort of a Frankenstein rip-off. Victor Frankenstein was out to create a better breed of human. A creature that would not grow ill, get sick, or die. May, however, merely wants to create herself one perfect life-sized doll out of the perfect PARTS of imperfect people ... sewing the parts together and not once trying to bring it to life herself. By the end of the movie, she has clearly lost it. I mean, the girl talked to her toy doll the whole movie so she was never really all there anyways.

Anywho, all in all a great little movie if you can get past it's little idiosyncracies and quirks. The movie is not for those who might not have unstable minds! Yet still, I'd reccomend anyone to at least give it a chance. The acting is pretty decent for a B movie, much more than some Full Moon movies - and I LOVE Full Moon films! Sorry for rambling everybody! I hope you enjoy it and if you don't - that's your business! Ok? Tata!

Return (1985/I)
Oh WOW!, 17 August 2003

Ok, so it ISN'T movie of the year! But this short film is absolutely ASTONISHING! I wish I could explain it! I simply find it one of the greatest little movies in the world! The girl finds out a shrink of some sort has regressed this hunk of a guy into a past life, her grandfather's!!!!! She wants to unravel the truth about his past life, and romance ensues! Talk about wonderful confusion! Watch it!

Maytime (1937)
Nelson never fails., 28 April 2003

The first time I ever heard the name Nelson Eddy was in a Michael Crawford In Concert CD. Since then I have seen "The Phantom of the Opera" in which his starred... but I didn't recognize him as a performer in the least... not until I saw this movie. "Maytime" is my all time favorite movie with Jeanette McDonald and Nelson Eddy. It's closely followed by "New Moon", and I have seen a couple others. Yet "Maytime" has more going for it than just the heart throb known as Nelson Eddy!

The plot is simple. Girl has fiance. Girl meets new guy. Girl falls in love but marries first guy. Years pass. Girl and guy meet again ... and the rest will be history to only those whom have seen it! I could never give away the ending. All I can say is that the music in this movie is absolutely amazing, and I always come so terribly close to crying. I'm not a cryer, so to say I get CLOSE is a good sign. I have bawled to it before!

John Barrymore, Drew's grandfather <?> is a wonderful anti-villain. He's a good guy who just happens to be a terrible protagonist, and he does something so horrible that you hope his Niccolai Nazaroth burns in hellfire for eternity. Yet he's such a terrific 'villain'. The one and only thing I have against this film is that it's in b&w. I wish beyond all wishing that it were in color, so I could see his gorgeous eyes and blonde hair!

Believe me, this is a good movie.

Finally, a modern horror movie that works., 25 March 2003

Some reviews on this site completely bomb the movie, yet many others like myself see it for what it really is. We go from two sisters completely obsessed with each other, and death, to being complete opposites... one domineering and mocking... the other one just clinging to the past and what her sister used to be like. If you've read the summary, you already know it's mostly because one of them gets bitten by a WEREwolf and turns into a complete sex-and-flesh-hungry maniac! Well, anyways, I thought that this movie was absolutely great. The girl who played "Brigette" was amazing, and I'm glad to see she's still in movies other than "It" and the Farah Faucette movie (That was her, wasn't it?)... Although some things are completely out of it -- I personally didn't like the rauncy werewolves -- it makes a lot of ethical sense. It talks about coming-of-age through menstruation... about drugs... about folklore ... about family... generation gaps... sex. It is a movie about anything and everything, and I think it's absolutely hilarious that "Ginger" passes on the werewolf 'virus' through sex with another guy who starts pee-ing blood in High School, and walks around with a red blotch on his pants! It was funny! The stereotypical -- but very known in EVERY high school -- princess popular bitch is absolutely ... bitchy! Anyways, before I start making even LESS sense, this is a good movie -- but rent it and decide for yourself!

An all right movie if it stands by itself, 10 March 2003

I mostly wanted to respond to a review to this movie I just read. I'm a fan of the first movie. I have it on DVD, and never tire of it at all. Yet the review to this movie I just read completely bashed it and said it has no scares in it. I've been watching horror for MOST of my 20 years, and this movie gave me the creeps. Then again, I DID deliberately wait until 11 at night to watch it in the dark, so that added to the atmosphere. But it's not without it's horrific charm. Maybe it isn't a great Children of the Corn movie -- God knows the Second one stinks in comparison to the first, and the fourth one is pretty good. Yet this movie still stands a chance at good reviews if you don't compare it.

A terrific movie!, 12 January 2003

I've just read another review that says Dudley Moore wasn't an incredibly likable character, and I have to completely disagree! I have watched this movie nearly every single year... as I have the VHS, and it's one of the most terrific X-mas movies out there -- other than "Christmas Story", "A christmas Carol" (any version), and "The Night they Saved Christmas". I've watched this since I was a very little girl, and I always loved the character Joe. I think I might have had the tiniest crush on him, even! The man who plays Santa is amazingly wonderful, and he's definately the type of guy that a kid would just love to leap onto the lap of... and to take comfort and confidence in. As this Santa befriends a young homeless boy who has absolutely nothing and no one else... until both he and Santa meet the daughter of an extrodinarily rich and disasterously greedy culprit of a businessman ... of course he's the grandfatherly figure we all dream of having! He's beyond any other Santa I've ever EVER seen -- he even beats Mickey Rooney (though Granted Mickey was only Santa in those lovely little 'cartoons'.)

Anyhow, this is a great movie with a beautiful soundtrack, great actors, nice though not particularly wonderful sets, effects that were passable for the year they were made, and most definately a touching and memorable plot. It's for all ages, and I definately reccomend it.

Great musical, awesome acting!, 6 January 2003

Remember Craig T. Nelson, folks? "Polgergiest"? What about Isabella Rosilini? "Merlin" "Death Becomes her". And how about the wonderful lady who plays Linette in this story? I have her "Little Princess" film -- very long but fun. Anyhow, I thought this movie was just the bomb. I loved every single song. "Green in the Blue", "Night..." "A man without a heart", "Good Little Girls"... I just loved them ALL! "You should never talk to strangers" is my favorite song, and absolutely the moral of the whole story. I think everyone does a marvellous acting job. I don't think I'll ever get tired of it.

Snow White (1987)
marvelous version!, 6 January 2003

This story most closely depicts the origional Grimm Farie Tale as we know it. It has the apple, the corsett, and the comb! It has the seven little men, it has snow white, it has the hunter, it has the father... it's only missing one SINGLE tiny thing... the fact that Snow White's MOTHER, and not her STEP mother, is the one that wanted her dead. Then again, that's EVERY version that I've ever seen... unless the Disney version was the right way there. Don't remember. Anyhow, my favorite part of the movie is "Billy Barty". He is in SO MANY of my movies, I can pick out his voice like THAT. *Snaps*. Sure, he's only one of 7 adorable men, but still... and a couple of the songs are so precious. Not the absolutely best of the Cannon Films, but one of my long time favs.

My favorite!, 6 January 2003

I have always loved Farie Tales, and this is my all time favorite, and I have them all. "The Frog Prince" with Aileen Quinn and Helen Hunt. "Puss N' Boots" with Christopher Walken. "Hansel and Gretel", "Rumplestiltskin", "Snow White", "Sleeping Beauty", "Pinnochio". A couple of those are done by Farie Tale Theatre, but I love the Cannon tales more than anything on earth. With Rebecca de Mornay singing, I never would have imagined she could btw, it's astounding. The cinametogrophy is great, and the script is wonderful. I'm 19, and even my father willingly watches this with me. He says, and I agree, that it just seems so real... and he's not that kind of guy at all!!! John Savage is the most terrific beast I could imagine... other than in the French movie "Beaute et Le Bete" or whatever it's called *lol*. It's an even better version than the Disney Cartoon, which is also one of my favorites. I hope that whoever sees this film on sale buys it (and sends it to me, I need a not worn out one!!!) and cherishes it forever!

Great Movie, 6 January 2003

I think this is a great movie from the Cannon Theatre... but you might want to keep it away from extremely young kids. it scared me so badly that even today, at 19, I have to fast forward through scenes. There are things that just scar you ... ya know? Grizelda the Witch was more terrifying than the Witch of the West in "Wizard of Oz". All around, a very good farie tale, but not my favorite out of the series.