SmileysWorld

Page 1 of 46:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Airplane! (1980)
An ocean of sight gags and one liners., 3 February 2015

Sight gags.One liners.Nearly every one of them hitting the funny bone.That's what you have with Airplane! They picked a genre of films to poke fun of (Airline disaster films),they packed it chock full of one liners and sight gags,so many that if you blink,you are liable to miss a major laugh.The really genius move here by the makers of this film is casting it with actors that we had grown accustomed to taking seriously (Yes,Leslie Nielson was a serious actor for many years before doing this film).They mingled them with some pretty darn funny people and the result is nothing short of a comedy classic worthy of a spot on the DVD shelf.

Talk about pushing the envelope!, 2 February 2015

I'm not sure how this was brought to the big screen without a hitch..It seems to have at least a small percentage of the charm you would see in (dare I compare?) any Andy Hardy film made during the day,this film takes an interesting step into the risqué.A going away party is thrown for some soon to be deployed servicemen and a girl (who disappoints a long admiring young man who is staying home) ends up married and pregnant (insert in drawn breath here..that word was banned at the time),but does not know to who because she had too much "lemonade"(as it was referred to here)..While I do love most films of the 40's,this one loses points,both for it's risqué content and Eddie Bracken's annoying stutter..This was a long awaited viewing because for some reason it is not currently available on DVD.Had to blow the dust off of my now seldom used VCR for this one after purchasing a cheap VHS copy.Perhaps I should have kept waiting..

Wall to wall insanity!, 23 January 2015

The Producers is one of those comedies where if you blink,you most likely will miss something.Just the kind you would expect when viewing the earliest works of Mel Brooks,in particular those works that involve Gene Wilder in his prime.The Producers is wall to wall insanity,just one ridiculous action and word after another,and if you love comedy in it's truest form,you will not cease to be entertained here.Oddly,as much as I love Mel's work in the 70's (Blazing Saddles,Young Frankenstein,High Anxiety,etc),this was my first ever viewing of this film,and I can't for the life of me figure out why it took me so long.All I can say is that it was well worth the wait.

Funny ride., 15 January 2015

There are certain things that I just don't find any humor in whatsoever.The depiction of animals coming to any kind of harm is one,so I am forced to deduct points there.With that out of the way,I can't say I find much else wrong with this film.It's a comedy,and it made me laugh a time or two,so it's fair to say it did it's job.Jamie Lee Curtis,although her character isn't very likable,is her usual sexy self.She is paired well with,well,just about every man in the film: Kevin Kline,John Cleese,and she even kisses Michael Palin,which I have to admit I didn't see coming,but it was hysterical (suddenly his stuttering problem was healed briefly by the encounter).It was worth the ride,but whether or not I get on again is up in the air due to the above mentioned depictions,and may I add that vulgar language,which permeates the film,is something I've grown long in the tooth for.

Great illustration of the real life quirky dating world., 12 January 2015

I'm not huge on romantic comedies,but have enjoyed a few,but the ones I have enjoyed tend to be the ones that stray from the usual stereotypes that you associate with them.This is an example.It's dialog is more intelligent and funny.This is thanks,in big part to Billy Crystal,who has always had a clever way with words.This was developed,no doubt by his years as a stand up comic..The film has all the right ingredients for a classic romantic comedy..A funny,charming guy,a lovely and funny lady,a great supporting cast,and a truthful illustration of how quirky romance and dating really is.The real dating world is simply good fodder for a good romantic comedy film.Not all of them have been done well,but this one was.

A dream,for the kid in you., 29 December 2014

As a kid,I believed in Santa Claus,and that he lived at the North Pole,he ran a workshop where toys were made by elves,and that he delivered those toys on a sleigh pulled by eight tiny reindeer..I believed it all,not unlike any other kid.This film sent me into a dream like state,where I am that kid from long ago,and in this dream,I was a quiet little passenger,an up close observer of all that was transpiring,and at the end,when it was all said and done,I awakened from that dream.Thank you to all who made this film and brought forth that kid me who stays hidden all too often.This movie is a Christmas treasure.

Roxanne (1987)
"Earn more sessions by sleeving!", 29 December 2014

Two guys like the same girl.One has a way with words,the other does not.The girl likes the latter guy,and the latter guy wishes to approach her but doesn't want to blow it with a bad choice of words.The two men work together,so he enlists his golden tongued boss to be his coach.It's a great premise for a comedy film,one tailor made for the comedic genius of Steve Martin..It is by far Martin's silliest film and one of his best..I mean,wall to wall silliness! You may look for a dramatic moment here and there,but there's none to be found.Martin is surrounded by a great supporting cast,who all worked equally as hard as he did to make it a gem of a comedy film.

Lemmon and Matthau at their best., 24 December 2014

We all have differences with our friends,but those differences never become truly evident until we try to live with each other.Clashes will happen,sooner or later,and this point was never better illustrated than it is in this classic comedy.Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau always had great chemistry on screen,but never more so than they did here.Those who enjoyed the pair in the Grumpy Old Men films,will get a big kick out of seeing the two go at it in earlier days.It was the constant clashing that made them work as a team,if I dare use the term,because they were such great actors individually,that they probably wouldn't have preferred to be called such.Great comedy.

Take a Holliday., 17 December 2014

Broderick Crawford was great.William Holden was great.The real treasure of this film was Judy Holliday.To play the dumb blonde to the absolute hilt and watch her character slowly become educated to the ways of the world thanks to Holden was a delight.Her character,by the end of the film,was more educated,yet she managed to hang on to that ditsy innocence that made her so appealing in the beginning of the film.This is a feel good story with Crawford as the gruff shady business man who happens to be Holliday's fiancé,who managed to keep Holliday's character in what he felt was her place until Holden,a man he trusted,craftily swept her away.Well done.

Funny,underneath the bad language., 15 December 2014

Having assigned myself to review this film,I knew pretty much what to expect from it by it's reputation and rating..I deduct points for foul language.It's just me.It's how I roll.Peel away all of that and you have a fairly funny "mockumentary" here.Rob Reiner did a fantastic job of bringing the film across as a real documentary,and Michael McKean and company as Spinal Tap were dead on.They had Ozzy Osbourne fooled into thinking it was the real deal,after all,so that alone says they did their jobs well.Did I laugh? In places,yes.Would I buy it? No,because I've grown to long in the tooth for films overrun with foul language,plus I have small kids.It was a nice visit,but it's doubtful I will visit again.

Page 1 of 46:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]