rose_81

Awesome!, 13 August 2006

I'll never forget the first time I saw this movie... I was at home, a bit bored, so I looked through the TV-listings and saw that this movie was coming on in a few minutes. I remembered having seen the trailer and was mildly interested, so since nothing else was on I decided to give it a chance, and... oh-my-God! From beginning to end I was laughing so hard I almost couldn't breathe. It was a long time since I was so pleasantly surprised by a comedy. Rob Schneider is a bloody comic genius. His portrait of a high-school cheerleader trapped inside a man's body is such a bullseye! Movie critics around the world may say that this is garbage, but it's really become one of my all-time favorite comedies. I just love it.

Wonderful in so many ways..., 28 June 2004

There are certain movies that grab ahold of you at the first scene, or even the first line, and refuse to let you go until the credits start rolling in. This is one of those movies. And I can go on and on about what makes this movie great, but I can't list all of them, since there's a thousand word limit, so I'll just take the principal two, with a PS. Here they are... Story: This is six different stories, woven in to one. As the movie progresses, and we learn more about the different characters, we see more and more of their connection to each other. And that just gives you so much more to enjoy. Acting: There are a lot of talent in this movie, but the two that really steal the movie are Angelina Jolie and Ryan Phillipe. They put on awesome show together. PS: Ryan is sexy even with blue hair...

Dark & beautiful..., 4 December 2004

The first five or ten minutes didn't impress me. But as the movie went on, I found myself more and more intrigued by it. It's much darker than I thought it would be, but still it is one of the most beautiful love stories I ever saw. I don't understand why this is one of the least noticed Mel Gibson movies, because in my opinion this is one of his best performances. He really shows you what his character Ed is: angry, desperate, and confused. Diane Keaton is great too. If you get a chance to see this, do it. It's sadly underrated.

Irresistible, 21 March 2006

This movie is truly irresistible from opening to closing credits. It's one of my all-time favorites. Virginia Madsen makes a fantastic performance, and she has great chemistry with Craig Sheffer. They make one of the most charming movie couples of the '80s. (I have the poster framed over my couch, and I can't look at it without smiling.) I can certainly recommend this movie! The only thing that's wrong with "Fire With Fire" is really that it ends too soon. Every time I see the closing credits start to roll in I wish that the movie would go on for another hour. And it's also very sad how rare this movie is. I thank my lucky star that I saw the trailer on an old rental movie, otherwise I wouldn't even know that "Fire With Fire" exists. Romantic hearts around the world: see this movie! You won't be sorry.

They killed Fanny! You b*****ds!!!, 7 January 2003

SO WRONG! SO WRONG! They have killed my Fanny, my dear Fanny! I rented this movie, expecting only those usual changes that always occur when a book is made into a movie. I NEVER thought they would completely destroy the character of Fanny! They have made her into some mix of Elizabeth Bennet and Marianne Dashwood, to please the audiences who haven't read the books and think that ALL of Jane Austen's characters have to be bold and frank. SO WRONG!!! Lovers of Jane Austen: BEWARE!!!

One shot is all it took to knock me down!, 6 September 2001

Martin Q. Blank (or John Cusack) only needed one shot to knock me down and secure this movie as one of my favorites of all time. I couldn't believe how great it was the first time I saw it. Firstly, the acting: John Cusack was absolutely wonderful and impeccable. Dashing and ice-cool he slided through acting a complex character as easy as if he was spelling pre-school words. Minnie Driver was great as always, playing the independent, smart woman who's standing on her own feet and enjoying it. Dan Ackroyd... Wonderful, wonderful Dan! He gave some of his best moves, that we haven't really seen since "Driving miss Daisy", "Ghostbusters" and all his other best parts. And, finally Joan! Has there ever been a role she couldn't play! No matter how small the part, she always manages to steal our hearts. So, if you like snappy dialogue, great story, great acting, great everything, see this movie. You won't be sorry!

Gray and sombre, 10 January 2003

I was not surprised to see that the movie was dark and obscure. After all, I had seen "The Piano". But I expected a more enlightened ending. And, you can feel sympathy for Isabel, but unlike "The Piano", this movie doesn't seem to have a heart; a starlike light that shines beneath the doleful surface. No, I don't think I will be adding this one to my collection.