buckaroobanzai50

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

"Kids" (1979)
Kids! Kids! Kids!, 10 August 2013

I have vague memories about this series, which I think was set in some type of children's home, but certain things about it have stuck in my mind since I saw it in 1979; There was no music in the title sequence, just children shouting the name of the series. And also, a large group of children shot from above, came together to form the word "Kids". Each episode was named after the particular child that was featured in it. It was shown on Friday nights around 9pm, and featured some quite hard-hitting episodes; If I recall correctly, one youth who was in the "home" liked to start fires. I think James Hazeldine was the bearded boss of the establishment.

It was certainly something different, and its hard to imagine such a series being made these days. Personally, I preferred to watch the Professionals on a Friday evening, but that's just me.

Fantastic, 21 January 2013

This is an example of a well made documentary, and shows how they should be made. Its charts the rise and fall and rise again of the so-called "new wave" band Blondie, during the late '70s and early '80s - and early noughties too. For those of you that don't know the term "new wave", it applied to any band of the era which supposedly disowned their punk roots and sold out to become rich and famous, or any musicians who simply took the punk stylings but wrote and performed highly commercial songs. At one point, Debby Harry and another member are taken back to the apartment that they rented in a rundown tenement building years before, and recall how the place was rat infested in the days before they topped music charts around the world. They also realise with irony, that a new band starting out would not be able to afford to rent such a place, in the now gentrified area of New York city.

Although this programme was a means of promoting their new releases of the time, one can overlook this as it is very entertaining to watch.

The BBC researchers strike again!!, 19 January 2013

This is yet another of the BBC's badly researched and revisionist "documentaries", which supposedly tells how punk rock saved us from all the bad pop music which was in the charts, during the latter years of the 1970s. But anyone like me who was alive back then, or even watches the repeats of editions of Top of the Pops that are currently being shown on BBC 4, may well see a much more accurate depiction of that era. Because actually, there was some great pop music, reggae music, soul music, disco music, and even rock music in the charts while quite a lot of the punk music was dire and amateurish to say the least.

Programs like this, often depict a very selective, and one-sided view of the past, with very little balance on show to even things up; Not everyone hated Boney M, or Shawaddy Waddy, or The Barron Knights. In fact a lot of people liked those novelty bands, that is why they sold so many records. It wasn't just down to good PR men. And by the same token, not everyone saw punk rock as the saviour of British music. Granted, it was something new and different. But it was also very short-lived and controversial (Try Googling the name Sid Vicious, if you don't know who he was). In fact, the soul and disco bands of the past, have left a much more influential legacy to today's music.

I think it was very remiss of the BBC to broadcast a program which (purposely?) left out the facts, and presented half-truths as being the gospel.

They've done it before, and they'll do it again. No doubt.

Pourquoi?, 1 January 2012

Pourquoi? Why? That's what I ask myself, whenever I see a film like this; Why do women stay with men who aren't good for them?

In this film, Violette, played by the still ultra-sexy Isobelle Adjani, is in a relationship with Francois played by Jaques Dutronc, who is a major wastrel that cannot hold down a job, and who likes to go shoplifting...among other things. The couple have a young son who is blonde, despite the fact that his parents are not...I couldn't quite understand this, but anyway the film is quite watchable, and the characters are all engaging thanks to the performances of the cast. I have a love for all things French, so, I quite like these types of films, which show how Paris looked in the past. Surtout, dans les années 70. Eventually, Violette participates in Francois'...hobby...as the couple fall on hard times, and surprisingly she enjoys their escapades, until one day when she suffers some dire consequences for her actions.

I quite liked it. See it, and judge for yourself.

Bravo! Trés bien!, 25 August 2010

This has to be my favourite French film ever! I recall seeing it's very well dubbed English version on TV in the early '80s. It was remade into The Woman in Red, which was pretty banal in comparison. But thanks to TV5 Monde, I was able to see the original version en Francais.

The film centres around Jean Rochefort, his friends and family. At the start, we see him standing precariously on the ledge of a high building. The reason why is shown at the film's end. (I won't give it away here) This is followed by a flashback. He is a middle-aged some-what bored businessman, who has his head turned one day when he sees a mysterious woman standing under an air vent in a car park. She happens to be wearing a flimsy red dress (hence the US title of the remake) which flutters in the breeze. She seems to enjoy this, and returns to the vent for a second helping. After she walks away, Rochefort tries it out for himself, but the effect for him in his buttoned overcoat is not as sexy to the viewer. Or even him. This is the catalyst for his obsession with the girl, played by Anny Duperey, who eventually turns up at his place of work, much to his surprise.

Meanwhile, his loving and quite attractive wife, is being sexually harassed by a chubby friend of their teenage daughter, this is not to mention the personal problems that Rochefort's tennis buddies also encounter.

This is well worth a look, even for the dubbed version. There was also a sequel made sometime after, but the magic was not there.

Mildly amusing, 25 August 2010

The title of my review suggests my opinion of the film. Although to be fair, my french is a bit rusty but I got the gist of it all. I think you have to understand the French social mores of the '70s a bit, as it's quite a dated movie. However, I did like the scenes where the salesman tells his potential customers his problems, in order to make them buy his wares.

It was also quite nice to see a very young, and very sexy Jane Birkin.

The married Jean Pierre-Marielle, always looks funny whenever he appears in his furry overcoat. And his girlfriend on-the-side, who habitually tries to commit suicide, finally succeeds in the end. If memory serves, she dies in a car accident, after three previous attempts to blow herself up with a gas cooker. All this after a saucy sex session in a hotel with the aforementioned salesman, played by Jean Carmet.

There is an appearance by Jean Rochefort, who seems to always have the same laconic expression on his face, in all his movies. He reminds me of a French Robert Mitchum.

Shown in the UK., 9 May 2010

This series was also shown in England, circa 1981.

I have very vague memories of it being shown by the BBC late at night, with some girls driving around in a van. But, it was renamed as "Have Girls Will Travel" for some reason, that name seems to make more sense. If my memory serves, it was quite watchable nothing to shout about, but like many series of the era, it has been forgotten...

Except by die-hard TV fans.

This series was also shown in England, circa 1981.

Except by die-hard TV fans.

Why no mention of Cocoon?, 29 April 2010

I've just seen this on the TNT channel, and although it was enjoyable I was a little surprised that there was no mention of the film that he made after Splash, Cocoon. I consider this to be one of his best, even though it was a little too Spielbergy in parts. I wonder why it was omitted.

It's hard to believe that Ron Howard has been in show business for so long, but then again, looking at him it's believable. Sorry Ron, but you are looking your age - and older, but considering that you started acting as a toddler, you've done well. It's easy to forget that he has produced quite an awesome (in size anyway) body of work over the years, not all of which were to my liking. I didn't really think much of Backdraft, or Far And Away, but I don't think I was alone in regard to the latter film.

Keen as a Fox!, 21 November 2008

As I recall from my deep and foggy memory, this series was about a young female reporter played by Diane Keen who in the 1960s, begins working at a northern newspaper. She comes across the usual sexism from her colleagues and boss, as you'd expect.

Top of the Pops for kids, 28 August 2007

This show 'hosted' by director/producer Mike Mansfield, became a staple of early evening Saturday TV in England. Mansfield, who also directed music videos, was shown behind a TV studio production desk, literally cueing the next music act on each time. Often, he would be joined by a celebrity such as Suzie Quatro on one occasion. There was no pretence made, that this wasn't a TV show, as even the cameramen were usually in view. Some of the most popular music acts of the era, appeared on it over it's run including, Sailor, The Three Degrees, and even a teenaged Midge Ure in his group Slick. It resurfaced on TV a few years, only because of showings on a satellite channel. In the 190s, Mansfield hosted a late night TV series featuring concert footage, called Cue The Music.

Though very dated, it would be still worth a look.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]