herrgaman

Alabama (2010) (TV)
Legit hilarious, 5 May 2016

Just saw the unaired pilot online at Nerdist. Easily one of the funniest half-hours I've seen in the past decade. Inexplicable that it wasn't picked up by FX for a full season; it's only slightly more outré than "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia." In a way it was ahead of its time. The writing and tone might be better suited for a streaming service. Maybe because I like sci-fi, this was even funnier to me than "Reno" was back in the day. It's not easy to do sci-fi comedy well, but this show nailed it. The Yahoo series "Other Space" was, to say the least, substantially different, and not nearly as funny.

Here's hoping Thomas and Company revisit the concept.

In closing, and I quote: "Jake Gyllenhaal."

Workaday story, interestingly filmed, 6 July 2006

Apparently this movie was rarely seen until it was recently broadcast in a subtitled version on French TV. "Secret Lives" is engaging and entertaining, albeit somewhat dated and, at times, unintentionally humorous. It isn't stupid, and that's more than you can say for a lot of movies, then and now. Many of the scenes stay with you. A major disappointment is the ending, which is very abrupt and beyond downbeat; it's as though someone cut off the last twenty minutes of a more fulfilling movie. I suppose the ending was meant to be horrifying--and in that regard it succeeds to some degree--but it's really more maudlin and unsatisfying. One highlight is Horney's acting, which should have led to more English-language roles; she could have rivaled Dietrich. The best parts of the film are some very interesting choices made by Greville. His directing takes a rather ordinary script to a higher level, and it is a joy to watch.

One of the best men who ever lived, 16 September 2005

Mr. Rogers did what few artists have done in the history of mankind - strengthened and supported his audience so profoundly and so generously that he became a transformative force in their lives. I feel fortunate to have learned from him. In all too many homes, Mr. Rogers was and is the only voice of understanding, gentleness and positive reinforcement. Imagine how different our world would be if more young people could be exposed to his philosophy of acceptance and love.

There are so many children who never hear their parents say the words "I love you" - not once, not ever. And then they hear Mr. Rogers sing of all the ways people say "I love you," like "the cooking way" and "the eating way," and it's a comfort and reassurance beyond words. No other public figure provides this kind of life-changing insight to the people most in need.

On behalf of everyone you helped, of all the souls you touched in a badly damaged world, Mr. Rogers - we thank you, and we love you.

Very poor film, 6 June 2005

I'm one of a tiny minority of viewers who feel that this film is almost horrifyingly bad. I respect all the people involved--Eastwood is a fine artist, as are Linney, Robbins, etc--but Eastwood's film, except for a few performances and technical aspects, never even rises to the level of mediocrity. Eastwood trusts the performers too much to correct the bad acting which repeatedly crops up. The dialogue, by the otherwise admirable Helgeland, is often woefully unrealistic and ham-handed. Above all, the story is a complete disappointment; the audience is left mystified, rather than wowed, at the film's epilogue. Clearly this film was not made for me.

Beloved (1998)
Excellent, 27 May 2004

A truly excellent film. Fascinating and devastating, Beloved rewards the attentive, thoughtful viewer. This film should be required viewing in American high school literature classes; I can think of no picture which deals more effectively or creatively with the national horror that was slavery. Newton's performance is admirable, but I find Kimberly Elise's portrayal astonishing in its realism and subtlety. It says much about society's capacity for selective amnesia that Beloved is one of the few extensive treatments of slavery in cinema history. Indeed, until Spike Lee makes his long-promised slavery epic, it will remain the only truly penetrating depiction of the country's darkest chapter. It is a film to be cherished.

A fine movie, 2 March 2004

This isn't one of the all-time greats, but this is a fine, and very watchable, movie with some really nice touches. The sequence in which Jones' character first arrives in and looks around Sanaa is very well done; it's quiet and reflective, an unusual move in a major Hollywood picture.

I don't really see the jingoism others complain about. Any self-respecting nation would depict its fighting men and women the way Americans have depicted themselves and their armed forces in this movie. Where others see offensive self-absorption and undue self-respect, I see a very normal sense of self-worth.

George Wallace (1997) (TV)
Watch it for Mare, 23 October 2003

Sinise's portrayal of Wallace is astonishing, but I was most impressed by Mare Winningham's perfect performance as Lurleen. Like any Southerner, I'm more than accustomed to actors' ham-handed, mangled versions of Southern intonation and dialect, but Winningham was amazing. She BECAME Lurleen Wallace. At times you can be fooled into thinking that Winningham is lip-synching over an archival recording of Lurleen's speeches. Everything about her performance is superb.

Great comedy., 28 April 2003

I had zero expectations for this flick, and I would NEVER watch the original Brady Bunch episodes, but A Very Brady Sequel is terrific. Virtually everything works here. Gary Cole has brilliant comic delivery--I sure wish we saw more of him these days. This is one of those movies that you appreciate more over time; it isn't necessarily laugh-out-loud hilarious, but it is incredibly entertaining. Great literature this is not, but if you want a funny, well crafted comedy with some great writing and performances, give this Sequel a look.

Watch it., 30 March 2003

This is easily one of the most entertaining TV movies ever. Great performances, particularly from Baxter and Ivey. Do not miss this movie if it comes on. There's a reason it's regularly among the top 10 cable shows whenever it's on.

Catch it if you can., 21 February 2003

This is the all-time great overlooked series that is so little remembered, it doesn't even qualify for cult status. I managed to see it on late-night TV in Sweden, and I was astonished by the quality of the writing. Everything about it was consistently top drawer from episode one, unlike virtually every other great show I can think of. No wobbly, awkward start here.

Some series just come and go under the radar, nobody seems to take notice. What a shame that happened with this show. Don't hold your breath for a deluxe DVD box set, but that's exactly what "Vengeance Unlimited" deserves.