kroberteaton

Can't agree with the universal panning of this movie., 16 February 2004

Bogdonovich & company made this with endless tongue in cheek, and as an homage to the stage musicals of the 20s and stage AND film musicals of the 30s - glib, off-handed, seemingly "UN-artful" if you will. Also, the actors all sang - or spoke - their songs IN REAL TIME, in what was a brave attempt to duplicate the reality and presence of a live production.

Obviously, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I clearly saw this film much more in the spirit on Bogdonovich's vision than those who wemt in looking for something else. I feel a lot of baggage was brought to this film by the audience, and the movie was never really "seem" or "heard" by them. Too bad, because technically this is how musicals SHOULD be made.

I enjoyed the movie very much, and lament that it isn't available to allow everyone to make up their own mind about how well the vision of the director, cast, Musical Director and all concerned was carried out.

A succinct and masterfully written political/suspense film - NOT "thriller.", 14 December 2003

If you think you might have a yen for a suspensful political film that has the temerity to actually have a PRINCIPLE at its core - and would be amenable to wathcing one of the two best pieces of writing construction I've seen in over 45 years of film going, DO NOT read any other comments on this film. Just see it. Know as little about it as possible. (Why people are so dumb as to want to know how the magician performs her/his tricks is beyond me! All it does is spoil the "magic".) Let Rod Lurie's crackling amnd wry script and the performances of ALL concerned tell you this story without any other outside clues or hints. (Which is good advise for any film of any genre, actually.) Know as little as possible - let it surprise you. And it will. As for me I'll urge you to see this film, and I'll studiously tell you NOTHING about it, like a good friend should. Missing it will be your loss - I HAVE a copy. (In fact, I might just watch it again tonight myself.)

If you think you might have a yen for a suspenseful political film that has the temerity to actually have a PRINCIPLE at its core - and would be amenable to watching one of the two best pieces of writing construction I've seen in over 45 years of film going, DO NOT read any other comments on this film. Just see it. Know as little about it as possible. (Why people are so dumb as to want to know how the magician performs her/his tricks is beyond me! All it does is spoil the "magic".) Let Rod Lurie's crackling and wry script and the performances of ALL concerned tell you this story without any other outside clues or hints. (Which is good advise for any film of any genre, actually.) Know as little as possible - let it surprise you. And it will. As for me I'll urge you to see this film, and I'll studiously tell you NOTHING about it, like a good friend should. Missing it will be your loss - I HAVE a copy. (In fact, I might just watch it again tonight myself.)

A fine re-telling of one of our finest hours., 4 December 2003

Told with a minimum of fluff ( and an odd penchant for crawling in and out of black & white for no apparent reason ), this film chronicles very well the events of the "Cuban Missile Crisis" of 1962. All the primary participants of our government's reaction to - and handling of - this crisis are well represented ( Jackie & Lyndon had little to do with this - Jackie being away from Washington for much of the two weeks of these events, and Johnson was never a major confidante of John or Bobby Kennedy ). I would recommend anyone interested in this subject should also see "The Missiles of October" for a slightly different perspective.

A Dreadful Summary..., 16 April 2003

Please don't let the summary above deter you from seeing this wonderful film. I don't know what edition of this book he read, but it is absolutely incorrect that major changes are made in this script, which was beloved by Harper Lee! The film basically retells one half of the book - if that matters to you - leaving a separate plot line out all together. But what IS presented in the film is totally true to the original. I'm afraid this summarizer's Cliff Notes must've been missing a page.

An excellent production of Hawthorne's book!, 4 September 2001

Don't let Michael's comment deter you from watching this very faithful, well-acted AND produced version of the book. If actually reading the book itself isn't your cup of tea, you won't go wrong by viewing this 4-hour, videotaped production from PBS. Its leads are excellently and richly portrayed - it has a fine sense of time and place - and only the quite inept view of the Salem Custom House (special effects creation) stands as less than exemplary. The director clearly wanted a sense of the realism of the pounding sea in the scene with Hester & Roger, which heightens the emotional urgency, and the baby crying is annoying because a baby crying is often QUITE ANNOYING! If a dramatic presentation of the tale is your interest, you won't go wrong with this one.

The Country Girl (1982) (TV)
A fine production of the play., 12 August 2001

Faye Dunaway's Georgie Elgin is a fine characterization of a very complex character. If your only knowledge of this piece is the film adaptation, you'll find the full play an enlightening experience. (We could only wish that Grace Kelly was given the FULL original script to film, as her portrayal of Georgie is so extraordinary.) If you've seen the film, give yourself a treat, and view this fine production of the full play. It's an opportunity to see Dick Van Dyke in a purely dramatic role, and Ken Howard as the director, Bernie Dodd. Good play, well done!

Legend (1985)
DO NOT think of this as Ridley Scott's film!, 12 August 2001

Some truly warped dolt at Universal tried to turn this film into something for the "TOP GUN" crowd, and managed to make a mess of it. Ridley Scott's movie, as far as I know is still only available in PAL format in England. The running time is the same, but you could teach a class on how not to make a film by showing the two versions. The American version, for instance, threw out a Jerry Goldsmith score - Scott's choice thanks to "Alien" - and replaced it with some techno-pop junk from Tangerine Dream which does nothing for the film, droning along as it does, since the T.D. boys NEVER SAW THE FILM, they just provided "x-minutes of this & x-minutes of that." This is a gossamer film in the original - thin and wispy - ready to disappear into smoke. The re-cut inexplicably removes as much of the fantasy as possible - Mia Sara's a princess, for example, all of which references are gone. Try to find someone with an English copy they've had converted, or get one yourself and have it done.