Reviews written by
Andy (snot_pe2012)

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Big Daddy (1999)
Soft Sandler...Not such a bad thing (?), 28 January 2003

This movie could be seen as a follow-up to Sandler's own Wedding Singer. Both movies are indeed comedies of the Adam Sandler brand, of course, but both also have a soft, sensitive side as well. After the worst comedy of my life, The Waterboy, I was sort of glad to see this come along. Although it may not be over-the-top hilarious like Happy Gilmore or Billy Madison, it still sustains repeated viewings and even tugs at your heart-strings a little bit. The story revolves around Sonny Koufax, a 32-year old law school drop-out who lives the life of a slacker, ever since he won a wealthy settlement from someone who ran over his foot. He doesn't take his life seriously, he has a one-day a week job, and both his father and his girlfriend are constantly nagging at him about his laziness. After an argument early on in the movie, Sonny decides he needs to do something to prove to his girlfriend he is responsible, and thus, you have the set-up for the movie. Both Rob Schneider and Steve Buscemi have their resident roles in this Adam Sandler flick and provide much supporting humor. Joey Lauren Adams (Chasing Amy, Dazed & Confused) plays Sandler's love interest and Jon Stewart (The Daily Show, Half Baked) plays his lifelong best friend and roommate. The movie is actually a little unpredictable. Although you know problems are going to arise towards the end, as evidenced by the buildup, the ending is a little unexpected. This is not Sandler's best work (look to Little Nicky and Billy Madison) but it is one of the better movies of it's kind. It is never manipulating and it is thoroughly entertaining and funny.

Valentine (2001)
Like a box of stale chocolates., 28 January 2003

Jeez, where have we seen this movie before? Scream? I Know What You Did Last Summer? Scream 2? Urban Legend? Scream 3? Valentine is quite simply an exploitation film. Sort of like what Shocker was to Nightmare on Elm Street in the 80's. A cheap, quick way to make a semi-successful psuedo teen horror. There is not one tense moment in this movie. All the characters are even more unlikeable than they are intended to be, and the ending can be seen 15 minutes into the film. When I first saw the previews for this movie, I thought it could have had some potential, and the opening sequence involving the rejected and humiliated boy really sets you up for a great story/revenge flick. This movie could have taken a totally different direction, but instead, abandons it for routine post-Scream slasher fluff. Once you see the ending (which, no matter how much you analyze it, makes no sense) you will feel that this movie is the biggest cheat in slasher history. I don't even want to spend another minute thinking about this awful movie...

Pretty standard, but enjoyable., 26 January 2003

Most people will love this film simply because it marks the union of our favorite mentally-retarded murderer Jason and his beloved hockey mask. Most people will remember it for it's corny 3-D sequences that have no purpose on video/DVD. Most people will hate it because it has a pretty boring beginning. However, all Friday fans should watch this because it does have a different setting/plot than the previous two, and there are some nice atmospheric touches that actually give this film a creepy edge, not to mention that whacked-out ending. The story picks up on Saturday the 14th, the morning after the events of part 2. We follow a troubled female named Chris, who apparently had a run-in with Jason years earlier, who is returning to Camp Crystal Lake with a group of friends to help get her over it. Included in this group is a sexy latina lady, an overweight joker, a Tommy Chong look-alike and about a half dozen pieces of insignificant morgue meat. Along the way they run into a biker gang, whose fate is more than obvious and after the exposition (which takes awhile) the movie starts treading down familiar territory. What helps this movie out is that the events take place at a farmhouse, as opposed to the standard campsite, and there is a little more back-story to the leading lady this time around. Jason is a lot creepier and he actually runs in this movie! (as opposed to teleporting, as exhibited in the latest installments). This is one of those movies that is just average. It's not my favorite F13 movie, but it's not the worst. If you miss it, don't lose any sleep over it.

It really is not that bad...in fact, it's great!, 26 January 2003

*Might contain Spoilers*

When I think of all of the Nightmare on Elm Street sequels, I come to the conclusion that this part, "The Dream Master," is my favorite. It's got style, it's got humor and it's got (minimal) scares. This is the most successful Nightmare on Elm Street movie to date and this is the movie that pretty much made Freddy Krueger the popular culture icon that he is today. This is the only sequel of the series that I can watch over and over and not get bored with. There are so many memorable scenes, the cock-roach bit being my favorite Nightmare on Elm Street moment. The story starts off with the three survivors of the third Elm Street movie (Joey [who now talks], Kincaid and Kristen [played now by the beautiful Tuesday Knight) being re-introduced and then creatively slaughtered after Freddy is resurrected by flaming dog urine. That sentence alone should make you wanna go out and buy/rent this movie right now. After this, we follow the NOES' series most interesting and most likeable character (in my opinion), Alice, played by Lisa Wilcox. Alice is given the unlikely task of being forced to get new victims for Freddy. As the teenage survival rate drops off, Alice decides to fight back and we get a great showdown between her and Freddy. I don't know why so many people have a problem with this movie. This movie succeeds at everything "Freddy's Dead" was trying to do (and failed so miserably at). The jokes here are funny and are spread out enough that it doesn't get tasteless. The effects are top-notch, the story is well mapped out and the characters are all likeable. Freddy fans should check this out if they haven't seen it yet.

Good resurrection of both Jason and the series., 22 January 2003

Five installments into it, the Friday the 13th series was already starting to show signs of age and deterioration by the time this bad boy rolled around. Friday the 13th pt. VI: Jason Lives is where the series took a whole new direction. This movie was the start of what I like to call the "Friday the 13th Zombie Trilogy" which under it's umbrella, includes this, pt. VII: The New Blood and pt. VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan. In all three of these films, Jason is a walking rotting corpse. He is no longer a mentally retarded child stuck in a man's body with animal instincts. He is quite simply, a very unhappy camper. This entry was also the introduction of Jason the Anti-hero. Throughout this movie, we follow Jason as he stalks his victims. In the other movies, you never knew where Jason was and he was sort of a mystery. This movie is all about Jason. Despite some obvious changes and flaws, this one still remains one of the best in the series. This is the movie where the MPAA really took it's toll on the F13 series. The gore is brutally butchered and there is no T&A in sight. However, there is plenty of good humor and funny one-liners sprinkled throughout (I.E. "So What did you wanna be when you grew up?" "Wasn't that the end of the song?" -- Really, you have to be watching) that were entertaining. The acting is horrible. Every bad actor in this movie dies and that's the way it should be. As is always the case with these movies, Jason Lives is not intelligent, it is not groundbreaking, hell, it's not even scary. It's just pure Saturday Night popcorn fun. Fans of the series will love it.

I absolutely love it!...For all the wrong reasons!, 20 January 2003

Can anyone honestly say that they find the Friday the 13th series to be scary? The fact of the matter is, once you've seen one, you've seen them all. Do not get me wrong, I love this series. They cure boredom in the best way and provide a nice, healthy, guilty pleasure. "Jason Takes Manhattan" was the first Friday the 13th flick I had ever seen and at the time I actually found it to be scary. But now that I am grown up and have seen more horror movies than any normal person will ever see in their life, I watch this film and giggle like a little school-girl. This movie, while being at least an attempt at taking the series in a new direction, ends up being way over-the-top and FAKE. The acting is horrible, the writing is laughable (Toxic waste fills New York's sewer system every night at midnight! HAHA!) and the plot holes are wider than Star Jones (There were at least three dozen kids on that boat when they first boarded...where did they all go?). But I just LOVE to watch this movie. It is so much fun. It contains all of the corny F13 cliches (nudity, gore, bad acting and a lame Jason revival to boot). There are so many goofs in this film (look it up in the sidebar) that are extremely obvious and even I found in the first viewing. It's just an overall hilarious movie. I could go on and on all day about all of the bad things I love about this movie, but I think you get the idea. Watch this for fun. If you want to be scared, look elsewhere. This movie is pure CHEESE! Definetly one of the top 5 funniest films of all-time. If critics had looked at this as a comedy, it would have gotten rave reviews!

It has it's flaws, but it's still classic., 13 January 2003

Wow, the Friday the 13th series. The most hated (by critics) and most extended of horror series in history. Friday the 13th is most effective if you haven't seen any others in the series, mainly because it sets up the formula that the sequels followed (horny teenagers take over camp, have premarital sex, get high, get gutted). Also, the film looks and feels old and is basically a more primal version of Halloween (however, comparisons between the two always come out uneven, the latter being the best horror franchise still standing). The film gets off to a very slow start, it's only after the first 45 minutes that the film really gets off the ground. There are a plethora of classic moments in the film, especially the chase scene between Mrs. Vorhees and Alice, which is pure edge of your seat adrenaline action. The plot, as mentioned before, is pretty simple. A cursed camp is resurrected much to the dismay of bitter townies. It is being run by a bunch of horny teenagers who just want to have fun. They all assume the stories of murder, drownings, fires and such are just heresy. One by one, of course, the teenagers start disappearing and the final climax basically reveals the whole purpose behind the film. By today's standards, it's basically paint-by-numbers horror. If you've seen a lot of movies, you'll probably see right through this. Sean S. Cunningham has some great direction though and the cinematography is gorgeous at times, but overall, this is a very dated and "campy" flick. I recommend part 2, which really got the series off on the right foot.

Even when I was a kid, I hated this., 13 January 2003

Every Saturday morning in my younger years, I had to wait through this show just to see the new episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Now imagine how tired you are on any given Saturday morning. 8:00 in the morning is a horrible time of day to have to put up with this preachy, granola, brainwashing crud. The bad guys were always the rich people who wanted to knock down some trees to build a mall. OHHHHHHHH! How evil! Nevermind the homosexual undertones sent forth by Captain Planet himself, the real issue at hand is the warping of fragile little minds. I actually had friends who enjoyed this show. Sorry, but this show does not show both sides evenly. If you want an example, call back to the old bumpersticker that simply stated: "If you object to logging, try using plastic toilet paper."

Freaky, awkward, disturbing, all of the above. (Spoilers), 13 January 2003

When I was a little kid, age 6, I had the misfortune of seeing this movie. Don't get me wrong, this is a great movie, but my point is, no little kid should watch this movie. Being the same age as the main character (and sharing the same first name), I was mortified. I pretty much avoided it through most of my childhood until I got a little older and got over it. Now, I love this movie. To me, it is a classic slasher flick, right up there with Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street. Chucky is one of the most memorable horror movie icons to come along in the past 20 years. Although he didn't really come into his own here (see Child's Play 2) he had plenty of great one-liners, my favorite being in the elevator scene. The movie itself is pretty dark. It takes place in Chicago and the environment created is a very grimey and seedy setting where corruption and crime rules the street. Brad Dourif plays the part of Charles Lee Ray (Chucky), the infamous Lake-shore Strangler, who after a struggle with the police, loses his life and transfers his soul into one of the popular good guy dolls. As coincidence would have it, little Andy (played by Alex Vincent, who has very little movie experience outside of this film and quit the business a decade ago) wants nothing more than to have his very own Good Guy doll. Put two and two together, let your imagination roll, and you know what will happen. The movie is pretty freaky because you are constantly questioning everything you know. For the first hour, you don't see Chucky move or speak, so you might be suspicious that Andy is causing all this mayhem. I won't spoil the movie for you. It's one of those horror flicks that I consider to be required viewing. It is both entertaining and scary. It may look a little dated, but it has definetly stood the test of time.

The weakest link. (Spoilers! YEEHAW!), 9 January 2003

Wow, just when I thought the Halloween franchise had reached it's lowest depths with Curse of Michael Myers & H20, Halloween: Resurrection comes along and sets the record. Wow, this film is a mess. First, I'll talk about the good points of the flick. For starters, Rick Rosenthal, director of Halloween II returns as director for this film and gives the movie a visual flair, which the film would have been a complete turd without. He handles the transition between reality and web-cams beautifully and the film is the best looking since the first. Also, Busta Rhymes was not only hilarious, but added a great dose of comedy that this movie really needed. You can say what you want about him, but not only is he a talented rapper, he was pretty much the only thing that kept me awake. Two more good points: Gore and T&A. New horror films are seriously lacking in these departments and Resurrection delivers just enough to keep you satisfied without going all Friday the 13th on your arse. With all this, you might be asking yourself: Why didn't he like this film? Well, I think this film finishes what H20 started by destroying the whole purpose of the series. I grew up on Donald Pleasance chasing Myers around and when he passed on, the series suffered a loss. Through thick and thin, he brought out the best in a bad situation. With him gone and Jamie Lee Curtis' character (Laurie Strode) and contract dead, there is simply no story to tell. Michael Myers takes a long journey home just to slaughter a bunch of insignificant American Pie rejects. The movie has no purpose. The heroine has little or no relevance to the story, seeing how it could have been anyone who survived the events. Also, this film continues to ignore parts 4-6. Big no-no. A real fan won't stand for this. Moustapha Akkad should learn not to bite the hand that feeds. Also, this film is severely lacking in the suspense department. Maybe I've seen too many movies, but to me, this film did not contain one minute of tension. I knew what would happen every step of the way. I think they should have just left the series alone after H20. It wasn't a very good film, but at least it ended things on a somewhat high-note. I love Michael Myers and the Halloween franchise to death, but if this is how he is going to be spending his senior years, I'd rather see him killed off. Look out for Halloween 22, aptly named: Halloween: Retirement.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]