mgvolpe1

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

If you need to go to sleep, this is your ticket., 17 June 2012

Spoiler Ahead! This is without a doubt one of the slowest moving, boring movies I have tried to stay awake through. the monotone and almost monochrome atmosphere of the flick is the perfect anecdote for an insomniac. Not to mention the tired old plot of the evil prince or black knight captures the fair maiden and then the White Knight has to come and rescue her. Same olé, same olé. And not to mention the unrequited love from the white knight, again, same olé. The director should be shot for unleashing such a dragging pace to a movie that does display and exhibit some wonderful cinematography and clever use of shadows, camera angles and excellent film noir narration. The fight scenes are almost laughable with how much punishment the star takes and then within a few hours is completely rehabilitated and ready for action. While most humans would be laid up in a hospital after being kicked repeatedly and severely about the head, shoulders and body. Oh well it is a movie after all. Albeit one that I watched free with my NetFlix streaming subscription and an Apple TV. I'm beginning to understand why these movies are on the NetFlix service. Maybe I'm showing my age but we just went to the theater and saw 'The BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL' and I highly recommend it to lovers of the cinema. Nice pace, great acting and wonderful story.

Total waste of time. SPOILER TO FOLLOW, if that's possible., 24 October 2010

How to spoil this movie, that in my opinion would be impossible, it is such a hodge-podge of poor acting and directing I wonder how they got somebody to put up the cash to make it. I could barely get past the first 5 or so minutes, the music was gratingly terrible along with the singers voice and phrasing. I had to 'mute', it to get past it. Nothing after that gets any better. I think the dog was probably the best actor in the movie. I don't understand why John Corbett lowered his standards to appear in this disjointed garbage. I fast forwarded through most of the film looking for something that would prove fruitful. But, alas, that was not to happen until the two stars were sitting on the plane enjoying each others company. Even the crap during the closing credits was preoccupied with homosexual references all the way to the end. Anyhow if you want to see a movie worse than, 'forces of nature', 'code unknown','along came polly' and Wesley Snipes' all time clunker, 'Liberty Stands Still'. This is the flick for you.

Alpha Dog (2006)
Superbly AWFUL !, 23 March 2008

Are there no sane people left in the world? What ever world you live in? Is there no one there to say, 'Hey, that ain't right"? Why is the only vocabulary spoken in movies anymore start and end with the 'F__k' word" Or some derivative of it?? Are there actually that many girls out there that don't mind being call a C__t, B__ch with every other sentence? I found the whole movie to be lacking in any context of human interactivity. If these people really think like that why would any clear thinking individual associate with them? Not one person with any social redeeming qualities, save for the gal that finally confronts Timberlakes' character with a threat that he'll be sorry! I'm only glad I didn't pay a cent to watch this garbage. A collection of miserable humans feeding and preying off each others weaknesses. Now there's something I want to pay money to see. I can watch the evening news for nothing. Save your money and your sanity, forget this 'not ready for human consumption' garbage. Bruce Willis and Harry Dean Stanton must be hurting for money.

Painstakingly slow moving and very boring., 9 March 2008

This had a very good story and could have been a very good movie, if it had been directed by someone that understood that his audience needed to be entertained while watching his product or at the least kept awake. I was constantly dozing off with the pace of the whole movie. Everyone took an unusually long time before speaking their lines, as if they were trying to remember them. The scenes almost fit together but seemed to be lacking in continuity. Even the final scene is milked for an excessively long time. I presume that is in keeping with the central mind numbing theme to bore the audience out of its' mind. The scene where 'Bodo' is driving the car and sitting in the back seat watching himself is precious. I'm sorry I wasted my time.

Too bad the director didn't watch the first movie or read the story line., 15 October 2007

I've watched the original several times. That whole movie made a whole lot of sense and even the ending made sense, plus they made you aware of why Wade did what he did. This miserable adaptation made absolutely no sense whatsoever! You've read the ending in other reviews so I won't belabor the point. But, I was stunned at what I watched and came out of the theater feeling duped and cheated. No rhyme reason or song as to why Wade would 'off' his own men who had just gone to extreme measures to rescue him. Did the director think I was stupid? Did the writers think we were all so dense we wouldn't question the motive? Did Russell Crowe ever ask the director, "What's my motivation for murdering my entire loyal crew"? And after that fiasco, we don't get closure as to whether Wade's son gets the money and saves the family ranch from the evil land grabbers. I was so depressed when exiting the theater I wished I could get my money back and the 1 hour and 57 minutes of wasted time.

The Best Movie I've Ever Seen!, 10 November 2006

This movie should be required viewing for all high school students. There are so many good lessons about life that can be learned by watching this film that would result in better citizens of the USA. Some people are not smart enough to add 2 and 2. A sea Captain, who sails the oceans of the world for a living getting lost on a cross country horse ride in the 'Big Country' and they can't figure out on their own that he can find his way anywhere he wants to with his compass. When he won't fight in front of everyone he's deemed a coward, But he'll fight when it suits him. He won't ride a horse when he knows they'll make a laughing spectacle of him, but he'll do it on his own and in is own time. The line delivered by Jean Simmons to Carroll Baker, 'How many times does he have to win your love?', is classic and telling. Burl Ives being trod upon by the so called socialite, big shot, Charles Bickford. More class conscious than considerate to another human being. When Burl Ives is more honorable to a fault and shoots and kills his own son for not being an honest honorable person himself. That's character to a fault. But he warned him. 'Be the man I always wanted you to be'. It is just so full of life's lessons it's just the best movie in my list of over 6600 movies that I have viewed.

Boring! .....Boring! .......Boring!....., 2 July 2006

What a colossal waste of time and computer generated images. I will give all fair warning, SPOILERS AHEAD. Read this revue only if you might not really want to spend your money on a complete waste of time. I don't know why they even bothered to hire a cast of humans, they mostly acted like zombies when on camera anyhow. I almost fell asleep in the first hour of this mess because it moved so slow. The whole premise to this movie is disgustingly immoral. Could Superman be a father?? Was Lois sleeping with both men at the same time? Oh yes Superman is now a voyeur or maybe just a harmless peeping tom. What purpose did 'Kitty' fulfill? OH, I guess it was to hold that cute little dog during the whole movie except when driving the car. What a waste. Kevin Spacey's 'Lex Luthor' was about and menacing as 'Bluto' in the 'Popeye' comics. Mr. Dougherty and Mr. Harris's screenplay was as dumb as it gets. All so predictable. Can anybody explain to me why Superman was affected by the Green Kryptonite when he was standing on the substance but seemingly unaffected by it when he was under it?? Hello! Dougherty, Harris?? Dumb, dumb, dumb. I know it's a comic book character but the comics made more sense and had a certain logic that could be explained. And what happened to the Red cape? This abominable depiction has a dark ugly maroon one and a very fashionable pair of 'hip-hugger' shorts, giving the 'Man-of-Steel' an unusually long looking torso. Plus I was getting claustrophobic with all of the in-your-face close up camera shots. Geez! gimme some space will ya?? Of course this is just my opinion and I'm really glad I attended the matinée so I didn't pay the full price, even though I'd like to have my money back. Or maybe the time spent in the auditorium, I could have done something really constructive with the 2.5+ hours, like sort my sock drawer or watch grass grow.

One of the worst movies I've ever seen, 27 January 2006

This movie has so many holes in the story I can't believe John Cassavetes wrote it and Nick Cassavetes directed this utter garbage. I didn't care what happened to any of the characters, even John travolta's character was supposed to be the rock solid 'marriage & family' kind of guy, but with his disgusting foul language around the 3 daughters and the appalling disregard for any sense of discipline and wholesomeness for them was shocking. I know, this is real! This is the way it is out in the world! If this be so I truly see the dumbing down of America. These people didn't even have the common sense to come in out of the rain. Hustlers, thieves, not an ounce of compassion. Where do they get the money to produce these things?? I can understand the actors want to make a buck doing whatever. But I can't believe this movie made a return on anybody's investment.

Monster (2003)
Dark, Disgusting and that's the way it should be, But!, 27 January 2006

This movie had nothing to do with entertainment! So I guess you would call it Doc-U-Drama. Ms Theron did a fantastic job of portraying this pitiful creature. I guess we're supposed to understand how she became this avenging murderer of men. because of the mistreatment she was subjected to when growing up. But wait a minute, didn't Oprah Winfry have a tragic upbringing?? Hhmmmm? The biggest gripe and criticism I have about the movie is I wasn't able to hear the dialogue through much of the movie. Somewhere along the movie making process the directors or editors have decided to make the sound track louder than the dialogue. For us older senior citizens that reduces us to watching subtitles to understand what the he__ is going on. But to my dismay the DVD I rented only came with Spanish subtitles. Now that is a stroke of genius. I can't hear what the cast is saying, I don't read Spanish, so I got very little from watching this movie.

Yentl (1983)
How stupid do you think the general public is?, 25 July 2005

What can I say? A woman wants to know more about her religion so she dresses like a boy/man to get into the schooling. OK, so I can buy that. But when she gets married to a woman and starts living with her and the story continues like we are not supposed to realize that sex between husband and wife is not going to happen because??? and this is not going to cause problems and ms. Striesand or Brolin or whatever expects us to be entertained by such nonsense. I couldn't stand the insult to my intelligence and will have to admit that I didn't watch the whole movie. Well I didn't like 'A Clockwork Orange' either and I walked out of Tom Hanks miserable 'Lady Killers' because of the foul language and just down right un- entertainment of the experience up to the point where I couldn't take it anymore. Whatever happened to good movies?

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]