sheepmonk2000

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

I say Green as in go and see this movie, 28 June 2011

This film was quite a surprise. After reading some negative reviews, which were written mainly by the critics I decided I'd give The Green Hornet a go anyway as I am a big fan of Seth Rogen's work and wanted to see how he would fair in this his first action role. Well, it's fair to say he faired very well and although I was expecting lots of action sequences from the film (which were done well, bar some moments of shoddy editing that made it difficult to see what was going on), I wasn't prepared for the comical elements that feature heavily throughout the movie, and I think it's this light relief and comic genius by Rogen and the gang that make The Green Hornet a great success working as not just an straight forward superhero/action movie but an action comedy which really had me in busts of laughter at many different points along the journey. As well as some shoddy action sequences the other points about this film that knocked my score down a star or two, was that Cameron Diaz' character is very much under written and Christopher Waltz' bad guy really doesn't work - in that he's supposed to be funny but isn't. James Franco's cameo was welcomed however, and like I have hinted at already Seth Rogen was brilliant in the role and his sidekick was pretty much that - a sidekick. So all in all this is another solid effort from Michael Gondry and one I would recommend you watch. 6/10 (3*).

Both a brutal and boring film, 27 June 2011

This film is pretty boring. There's lots going on and everything, however, not all of it makes much sense and the entire point to the film as a whole is beyond me. There's nothing special about the look of the film and I found the score to be somewhat cheap and corny sounding, whilst also being inappropriate at other times. In terms of the acting, the film is held together well by Casey Affleck who copes brilliantly with having to portray the evil side of his character. However as I hinted at earlier the exact motives for his psychotic tendencies aren't really explored in much depth and the reasons why he kills people are bit stupid/redundant in the end. There is also one scene in particular involving him and Jessica Alba's character that was extremely distressing to watch and I almost turned the film off as I didn't care for such violence. However, I stuck with it and it was watchable, but all in all a futile exercise and not a very good film. 4/10 (2*).

I Own the Right to turn this movie off, 22 June 2011

As you may have guessed from my summary I turned this movie off before it ended...and here's why:

The plot: derivative

The characters: Stereotypical

The direction: Cliché - too dark (literally)

The acting: Just OK apart form Mark Whalberg who is extremely irritating.

The score: Abysmal

So all in all this movie was pretty terrible. The pacing is so painfully slow that at 45 minutes I felt like I had been watching the film for at least 3 hours. Everything about this movie is boring, boring, boring and my advice to anyone thinking about seeking this one out is simply don't, as you will be left disappointed despite the ridiculous high rating the film has on this website that suggests otherwise.

Paycheck (2003)
I should have been given a Paycheck for sitting through this garbage, 21 June 2011

This film is pretty bad. It's starts of bright with an interesting premise which admittedly drew me in. After this though the film becomes less and less interesting as Affleck's character utilizes some items he's left himself in a brown paper bag to try and decipher the riddle that has resulted in him now being on the hit list of his former employees and wanted by the FBI. The plot is too convoluted and the clues that guide him towards escape are less than inspired. The direction/camera shots are pretty standard and at times it feels more like a TV movie than a John Woo flick. The action is predicable and cliché and some of the acting is pretty poor from the likes of Aaron Eckhart in particular. So to conclude this film involves some very boring characters doing partaking in some very boring chase sequences in order to live happily ever after...which is something I must try and do after watching this drivel. 2/10 (1*).

127 Hours (2010)
127 Hours went by in a breeze, 19 June 2011

This film went by in a breeze and that of course is down to Danny Boyle's excellent and provocative screenplay and the brilliant and snappy way in which he edits this film with some vibrant colours and one incredible central performance from James Franco. Going into this movie I was a little sceptical to say the least due to the fact it was trying to tell what I believed to be quite a short story in a whole 90 minutes. However, the film doesn't just deal with the self amputation of the main characters arm (which is filmed tastefully, whilst remaining realistic at the same time), but also the events leading upto and after the pivotal plot point, with regular flashbacks involving the character's life when not trapped under a boulder and also his hopes and dreams once released. Therefore, the film doesn't drag, plus there was lots of bustling conversation between my family and my self when watching this film revolving around the many different ways in which he does try to free himself and the inevitable discussions about how or what we would do if placed in a similar or the exact same situation ourselves. All in all, this a film with great acting, terrific pacing and a satisfactory ending resulting in no doubts sounds of enormous relief from those who are lucky/wise enough to check this film out...I did and was overjoyed with the final result. 8/10 (4*)

The Core (2003)
This movie may lose some of it's Core audience, 19 June 2011

The premise of this film is of course fairly familiar and it offers little more in the way of entertainment from it's counterparts. Armageddon, for one is better than this film, and to be honest that's not saying much. This film, like the one just mentioned is humorous at points and also has a fair amount of tension as the crew encounter various obstacles along the way. The acting is fine, but some of the special effects a pretty lame and by the end of the movie the importance of starting the earth's core again takes a back seat to all of the problems that seem to arise along the way. Therefore, the movie begins to lose focus and subsequently I began to lose interest. So to conclude, the plot is highly improbable and it's an altogether unoriginal film but with some interesting dialogue and fairly charming characters it just about holds your interest through to the denouement. 4/10 (2*)

"snakes on crack", 17 June 2011

During the initial introduction to the various characters in this movie the film comes off a little derivative of other flicks of this ilk, as each actor plays somebody we've all seen before in other disaster/catastrophe movies such as Independence Day and Deep Impact. The film also uses some clichéd dialogue and while the acting is fine overall, Samuel L Jackson plays his part a little too over the top for my liking. However, in saying this I think the film is supposed to be a little over the top in general, and if that was it's objective it succeeds very well indeed. The computer generated snakes work well, and there are some great jumpy moments and the film features some inventive slaying by the snakes as many of the passengers fall victim to their anger. The film is funny too, and along with the killings it boasts some great action sequences and is quite suspenseful too. So to conclude, expect a film with it's tongue firmly in it's cheek and also be ready for what quite surprisingly turns out to be a considerably thrilling movie. 6/10 (3*).

John Q (2002)
John Q is pretty desperate filmaking, 16 June 2011

This film comes off pretty desperate in all the wrong ways. Every line of dialogue appears to be geared towards tugging on the heart strings of the audience and it all becomes very formulaic, predictable, cliché and somewhat boring by the end. The character of John Q is played well by Denzel Washington, but like the film you do get a sense that you've seen it all before. Robert Duvall is pretty inadmissible as the cop whom John Q puts his trust in, Ray Liotta is pretty solid in a small role - although again quite samey. And Anne Heche plays her character of queen b*tch suitably well too, until of course right at the last minute when she finally thaws and gives in to Q's demands. The real revelation amongst the cast is definitely the actress who played Mrs Q (sorry don't know her name). She certainly brings credibility to her part and the film is worth a watch alone based on her performance. That's not to say she deserved an Oscar but she is good in it. So all in all, the film is terrifically unrealistic and lacks any real tension, but the cast are all watchable, if a little familiar and so therefore I rate this film 4/10 (2*).

Not exactly disturbing, 16 June 2011

This film ain't as bad as some of the reviews I have read on this site have made it out to be. Sure, the acting's not exactly Oscar worthy, but it's definitely credible, even if the dialogue is a little cheesy. Some of the plotting is fairly predictable too, but overall the films quite a watchable ride, as the tension does mount throughout as Vince Vaughn's character begins to feel the strain as he desperately attempts to keep his murderous secret, secret. The photography ain't nothing special and neither is the score, but like I said this film is certainly watchable and one I'd recommend you watch one night during the week after your favourite soaps over and there's nothing but the news or reality TV programmes on the box, as this is easily worth it's 1hr 20min running time. Just don't buy it because maybe then you might be disappointed. 4/10 (2*).

Basic (2003)
Pretty Basic, 15 June 2011

This is a pretty basic flick. Even though the film boasts plenty of twists and turns the way it is filmed is pretty basic and there's lots of talking resulting in at times quite a boring movie. In fairness, however it did maintain most of my interest throughout as I was concerned with the mystery of it all, but the plot became a little too big for itself in the end and was left both with a feeling of confusion about certain points and with a feeling of disappointment at what seemed quite a contrived ending. Anyway, like I said there's nothing to special about this film in terms of the ways it's filmed and the fact is set in in almost perpetual darkness did annoy me somewhat. Some of the acting was pretty shaky too and each of the characters appeared stereotypical for this sort of movie. Overall, the film is definitely watchable and worth a once over, but in terms of repeat viewings I'd say this is a little to tame to warrant any. 4/10 (2*).

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]