quinlan_vos

I read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and this film definitely ain't League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, 16 December 2003

The "hip" title of LXG (which has the stink of a marketing department all over it) is definitely more appropriate than the title League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, the comics upon which this movie (I hesitate to call this a film) was supposedly based. This movie was definitely a slap in the face to the fans of Alan Moore, as it took a brilliantly simple concept (a Victorian Era Avengers) and completely botched it in favor of 'splosions and flashy effects. We can thank Sean Connery in part for the mess that was LXG, as he pretty much took over the editing process in order to make the character of Alan Quartermain (sp) take center stage in what SHOULD have been an exciting ensemble piece. This film definitely ranks as one of the worst movies of the year, and one of the worst comic book adaptations of all time (beating out Hulk for the top spot, but not by much...of course, that's a whole other rant entirely).

You'd better run...run into the mystic night., 9 December 2002

Not much I can say about this film, other than that I truly love it. It's an utter blast. John Carpenter is pretty high up on my list of all-time favorite directors, and this is probably my favorite of his films. Check it out...I can't guarantee that you'll enjoy it, but I really hope that you do (this seems to be my motto whenever I post here at IMDb; guess I really do have odd tastes).

Akira (1988)
Classic, 30 July 2002

I first saw 'Akira' a little over ten years ago. Like many others, it was my first exposure to Japanese animation (not counting television series like Robotech and Speed Racer). Over the years, my perception of this film has changed. What I once saw as simply a quirky yet elegantly "animated film" is now a classic in the genre of science fiction. The film has aged very well. I sometimes have to remind myself that it is almost 15 years old!

In my opinion this film deserves to be mentioned in the same breath along with other genre masterpieces like '2001: A Space Odyssey,' 'Blade Runner,' and 'Brazil.' Definitely not for all tastes, but I urge those looking for something off the beaten path to give it a try.

One of the finest movies I have ever seen., 30 July 2002

Unbreakable is one of my favorite movies. I cannot describe the feeling I had after my first viewing of this amazing film. It touched me on a level that few films before or since have. If you haven't seen it yet, I urge you to take the time to watch this superb film. I can't guarantee that you will enjoy it (tastes vary), but I sincerely hope that you do.

"Farscape" (1999)
The most fun and exciting show currently on television, 17 October 2001

I really can't add anything new to what has already been said about this show. I just wanted to say that it is currently my favorite show on television. This show is fun, imaginative, exciting, and daring. If you love sci-fi, I urge you to give this show a try.

So far, I'm impressed..., 17 October 2001

I have been a loyal fan of Trek for many years now (when I was eight years old, my dad took me to see "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn" in the theater and I was hooked). I was a fan of the original series, adored TNG, and loved DS9. Then along comes "Voyager"...one of the worst television series in the history of the medium. So when I heard a new Trek series was on the way, I was alternately excited and hesitant. Would it live up to the best of Trek, or sink to the depths of "Voyager?"

I'm happy to say that, in my opinion at least, "Enterprise" takes a seat in the hall of Good Trek.

The characters on this show are what make it entertaining. I have been a fan of Scott Bakula since the "Quantum Leap" days, and he is every bit as likable in this series. The actress who portrays Hoshi is both talented and beautiful. Jolene Blalok plays T'Pol perfectly...in that she is utterly annoying (which is how I believe the character is supposed to come across). My favorite character, though, is Dr. Phlox. I can't help but smile every time that actor is on the screen...he has an amazing presence as well as most of the best lines.

Overall, this show is off to a great start. I really hope the cast and crew can keep it up. If they do, I'm in for the long hall.

Greatest...television show...EVER!, 16 October 2001

Not much else for me to say about this series except that it is my all-time favorite show. Anyone who has stayed up way past midnight watching and heckling bad (REALLY bad) movies with friends will appreciate the humor of this show.

Admittedly, MST3K isn't for everyone (alas, one man's idea of genius is another man's utter crap), but if you give it a try (and have a warped sense of humor) you just might like it.

Very creepy and effective little film, 16 October 2001

I saw this excellent short film a few months back on the Sci-Fi channel program, Exposure, and I still can't get it out of my head.

Basic premise: a man and a woman are driving through the English countryside. They hold hands and gaze lovingly at one another. Suddenly they collide with a tree. The woman regains consciousness and discovers that the man has died...and that his hand has closed around hers in a death-grip leaving her effectively trapped.

The film is at times both disturbing and hauntingly beautiful. The woman's predicament and her eventual solution is frighteningly heartbreaking. If you ever get a chance to see this short film, I highly recommend it.

Fight Club (1999)
The movie that made it okay for straight guys to like Brad Pitt, 10 October 2001

I'd never heard of the novel and unfortunately I didn't get around to seeing this film until it had hit video. Even then I wasn't sure what I was getting into. I almost didn't rent the film as I was not the world's biggest Brad Pitt fan at the time. On the recommendations of many of my friends, however, I finally broke down and shelled out $2.50 for Fight Club.

That was the best damn $2.50 I have ever spent.

Fight Club, while not a film that everyone will appreciate, is definitely a unique and amazing experience. The visual and narrative style are fast, edgy and furious and totally fit the story.

Edward Norton, Helena Bonham Carter, and Brad Pitt deliver top notch performances. Plus, the big revelation (which I won't spoil for anyone who has yet to experience this film for the first time) came totally out of left field and knocked me upside the head.

Fight Club isn't your average film, and due to the style and subject matter it might take more than one viewing to truly appreciate it...but it is definitely worth the effort.