ctg0724

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Perfection, 16 February 2010

This is the greatest short zombie movie I have ever seen. The production was incredible considering it had no budget.

The direction of Michael Hall is quite impressive for a first time directing. Paul DiSilvestro's performance was that of a "John Connor" like hero.

The photography and editing of James Iliff was clearly that of a worker who will go onto bigger and better things.

Of course, the winning element of this masterful project had to have been the producing aspect. Christopher Pollock succeeds as a producer who ranks along the likes of David O. Selznick. I think he will go on to be a major success in the not-too-distant future.

Everyone should see Xombie Corps. It is an incredible short.

Avatar (2009)
Take the journey with Jakesully, 18 December 2009

Open your eyes, and see into the world of Pandora. What you will find is the most magical place you could ever hope to see. Perhaps at one time Earth was not so different.

I will admit this movie could feel a little on the slow side. But it will not feel that way if you really get what Jake is going through. You have to take in everything that you see.

To criticize this movie for being too powerful in the visuals is like criticizing a pizza for having good cheese on it. So what if the movie was done on a computer. That does not change the fact that they put years of work into it, which is more than we can say for New Moon, a movie that was done in such a lazy fashion that Kristin Stewart's hair was not even real.

Do not dismiss this movie. It is one of the greatest films ever made.

A unique and intelligent concept, 13 December 2009

This movie is easily described as cool. You are going to feel somewhat robbed at the end when the idea you are being introduced to is not exactly tied together in the end, but try not to think about that. This movie is clearly experimental. Forget the style and focus on what the movie is saying.

What was the point of the two stories? (those who have not watched the movie yet will understand once you have seen it) One story was a family drama and another was a high energy thriller. Both about them unable to make decisions on life effecting choices. Through both situations we are able to learn about these two people and the difficulties they have trying to behave as one. What results from this is two very believable performances.

These two performers were so good together. Very different Joseph than what we saw in (500) Days of Summer. They behaved like a real couple. You would think they are dating off screen.

The raw style in cinematography surprisingly works well with the melodic musical score. New York City is becoming less of a movie setting, so it is always pleasing to see it still.

Good experimental film. I recommend it.

Up in the Air (2009/I)
George Clooney shows something he has never shown before. vulnerability., 4 December 2009

Halfway through this movie I considered it an 8 out of 10 and decently spent money. The second half came as a big surprise. George Clooney let go of all his suave and let his eyes show fear and isolation that real people feel.

There were two things going on in this movie. On one end, we were looking at the people getting fired. On the other end, we were seeing the problems with Ryan's way of life. The interviews at the end with the people who lost their jobs explaining that it was family and support that brought them through bad times hit a perfect note for bringing both parts of the story together.

The title of this film literally explains what it is like to not know what aspects of your life are solid, such as a home or a significant other. Everything going on is simply up in the air. One day, what you thought was one way will turn out to be something else entirely.

Best of Reitman's three. Very much recommend it.

this movie knew how to win over any other recent romance film, 22 July 2009

Why was this movie so terrific? Aside from the fact that it was incredibly sincere in its realism while at the same time being very stylistic, it was great for its relevance to romantic experiences.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is such a talent to be cherished? Why is this guy so much more on my respect level than all these other young actors working in Hollywood. Not only does Gordon- Levitt pick movies that have more emphasis in being a good story than being heavily promoted, he is willing to play characters that don't necessarily make himself look like a superstar. He is brave enough to play a part in which he would have to be very insecure in front of massive audiences. For that I commend him.

(500) Days is so successful in humor, replicating real emotions and situations and making people (me at least) recall memories of our own. It has countless parts I cannot stop thinking about and laughing over. It is really wonderful. An unexpected film in a summer filled with high budget action films that can't quite get universal praise.

For this being the first season the Academy nominates 10 films for the big Oscar, and considering they have nominated past films like Little Miss Sunshine and Juno, they BETTER nominate this one.

Funny People is exactly what the title is, 29 June 2009

Judd Apatow's movie consists of many of the problems that go on between human relationships. There is a lot of lying followed by bitterness, cheating followed by jealousy, backstabbing followed by ridiculing, the list goes on. Within these conflicts comes the success in Funny People. Adam Sandler, Seth Rogen, Leslie Mann and most of the characters find themselves in uncomplicated situations that require complicated decisions to make.

Adam Sandler's character George Simmons has destroyed all of his relationships. He cheated on his lover and he abandoned his family. All he has left are fellow famous celebrities that he hangs with occasionally. With a terminal disease expected to take its course on him, it has become time to make sense of his life.

Ira Wright, formerly Ira Weiner, played by Seth Rogen, has a tough time connecting with people due to how reserved he is. He can't lock in a girl any better than he can lock in a crowd. They may want to like him, they'll even give him a few swings at the bat, but he usually ends up short. This issue keeps him from matching up to his two roommates, who though not completely successful, do have their run of good fortune.

After the two lead characters hook up when George hires Ira as an assistant, the rest of the story shows how one affects the other's relationships by their mere presence. George affects the turn of Ira's relationships with his roommates and possible girlfriend when he is invited to a Thanksgiving dinner. Ira influences the outcome of George's plans to rekindle with his beloved Laura. This all leads to a transforming of both men.

Funny People works as a comedy and as a lesson teacher. All of the characters fill their lives with mistakes. These mistakes give them the personalities that make them so comic and fun to watch. To top it off, Seth Rogen, Leslie Mann and Eric Bana are all charming in this movie. Adam Sandler is terrific as he always is in the heavy comedies he gets in. He should stick to these films.

Judd Apatow wins again. Go see this movie.

Heat meets Bonnie and Clyde meets The Assassination of Jesse James, 25 June 2009

What a fine collection of talent in Public Enemies. I had so much doubt in anticipation of this movie. I was told that the camera quality was low, Bale's acting was bad and that the plot was confusing and did not explain anything. After Miami Vice, I was willing to believe this might be another let down. Right in the first act, I knew that this movie was the one I have been waiting for.

The last wave of decent crime films was in the first half of the 90's with Heat, Fargo, Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas and Casino. Since then, I have been waiting for more cinematically well- crafted crime dramas. The ones that were expected to be comparable to the older films I think did not reach that level, such as American Gangster. I would say Eastern Promises, Gangs of New York, Road to Perdition, Collateral and The Departed came close, but they are more just good movies of their own.

Public Enemies is the first film in my opinion to have captured the essence of crime drama in a long time. It jumps right into the era, without the explanation that some people wished to have had. We enter right into the world, learning quickly the interactions between Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson, Frank Nitty, and much more of the criminal society of the Depression. I've always loved seeing these characters portrayed in the other movies they are featured in, but this film really had them right.

Michael Mann really exercised himself as an auteur on this outing. Many can criticize his style and decision to shoot HD. Still, artists can paint the crucifixion of Christ in many different ways, so Mann should have the right to explore the story in his own fashion as well. I personally thought the imagery was fantastic, most especially the opening act.

Depp, Bale and Cotillard were all great. So was the rest of the cast. Great balance between tragedy and humor. Go see this movie in theaters or you will regret it. It's quite simply the coolest movie of 2009.

A basic lowdown on The Informers, 27 April 2009

I thought I would see this movie with a lot of thoughts running through my head when it ended. That did not really happen. There's not really anything to be said about the story when it finished. The reason is that it was not a story. It was just things happening. There wasn't a beginning, middle or end, which is required for dramatic attachment to a movie. Scenes simply played out for a couple hours.

The Informers is not as terrible as most people on IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes make it out to be. At the same time, it isn't a good movie. If you want to see it the way I wanted to, go ahead and see it. I don't need to talk you out of it. Just remember, this is Bret Easton Ellis. The characters are shallow and their arcs are difficult to pinpoint. Nonetheless, some of you may be able to relate to the things going on.

On a final note, there is some really decent cinematography and good acting by a good number of the cast. The entire movie is very intimate, so don't take a prude friend with you when you see it.

Heartfelt Film That Takes You Back In Time, 11 January 2009

I have never felt a movie hit so close to home like The Wackness. This was a true tale of a teenager who fears that where he is in his life is the high point of all experiences. Through his summer, he is bombarded with hardships that could easily tear any 17 year old down. Instead, Shapiro takes his new experiences and lets them build him up as a man. I enjoyed watching this transformation.

This movie also made me miss the 90s. Things like the Forrest Gump advertisement, the old school music, the Nintendo and the tape cassettes really brought authenticity into the movie and gave it the feel it was going for. The movie was smart in the fact that the music was always apart of the environment, and not just a random track playing.

All performances were honest and terrific. With many poor films filling 2008, I hope one day The Wackness is rediscovered. It sure deserved to gross more than say, Twilight.

The Spirit (2008)
Was not really working, 25 December 2008

Frank Miller has a lot of potential in the film industry. He can be one of the better artists in the business. I see The Spirit as him getting to know the craft. This movie had some decent visuals and wanted to be gritty with the scruffy dialogue, but it just was not running with it the way it should have been.

With too much talk and not enough really going on, this movie eventually collapses into very little by the end. It spends more time giving backstory than driving the plot forward, and we are still left wondering where exactly all these characters began relative to their relationship with Denny (the title character).

Again, Frank Miller just needs to do more with what he has to work with, for he does have a lot. When the sequel is made, it will hopefully surpass this disappointment.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]