Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Star Wars (1977)
Where It All Began-----10/10, 22 October 2003

I can never pick a favorite movie because different movies have different effects. Goodfellas is my favorite drama. Face/Off is my favorite actioner. But when it comes to pure amazement, nothing beats Star Wars. We are introduced to a whole other universe with different creatures, different lifestyles, and different history. We are dropped in the middle of an intergalactic war between an empire and a rebellion that has raged for years and left the universe in ruin. It was the most fascinating thing to see when i was eleven, but to this day i am still a Star Wars nerd.

The cast of characters includes some of the coolest, funniest, and most tragic in film, and the actors who play them fit seamlessly into this new universe. Alec Guiness is flawless as Obi-Wan Kenobi, a Jedi on the run from the evil Empire. Harrison Ford is awesome as Han Solo, a smuggler and thief who helps the gang rescue the princess. But the my favorite character of all time is Darth Vader. Not only is he the coolest bad guy, but we learn in later films why he is evil and start to feel sympathetic for him. Not to mention that badass booming voice that can make ordering a pizza sound threatening.

This was not only the beginning of the best movie series ever, but it was the beginning of my love for movies. George Lucas is a genius for being able to come up with a great story and an incredible backdrop for what was supposed to be a flop, but turned into one of the best films ever.

One of the scariest movies ever---8/10, 28 February 2005

I was never a big fan of horror movies. They usually try cheap tricks to scare their audiences like loud noises and creepy children. They usually lack originality and contain overacting galore. The only horror movie i like was Stir of Echoes with Kevin Bacon. It was well-acted, and had a great story. But it has been joined and maybe even surpassed by Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, quite possibly the scariest movie ever.

The movie follows a writer (Jack Nicholson) and his family who agree to watch over a hotel while it is closed for the winter. There were rumors of the place being haunted and the last resident went crazy and murdered his family. But Jack is convinced it will be OK and he can use the quiet to overcome his writer's block. After months of solitude and silence however, Jack becomes a grumpy and later violent. Is it cabin fever or is there something in the hotel that is driving him mad?

One of the creepiest parts about the movie is the feeling of isolation that Kubrick makes. The hotel is very silent, and the rooms are huge, yet always empty. It is also eerily calm when Jack's son is riding his bike through the barren hallways. Jack Nicholson's performance is also one of his very best, scaring the hell out of me and making me sure to get out once in awhile. My favorite scene is when he is talking to a ghost from inside a walk-in refrigerator.

The Shining is tops for horror movies in my opinion, beating the snot out of crap like the Ring and The Blair Witch Project. It may be a oldie, but is definitely a goodie. 8/10

Conspiracy (2001) (TV)
One of the best WWII movies ever (and there is not a single gunshot!)--9/10, 23 February 2005

Conspiracy debuted on HBO in 2001 and centers on the infamous Wannsee conference, where fifteen high-ranking officials of Nazi Germany government and military devised the final solution of the Jewish problem in Europe. The meeting took place in a beautiful house in rural Germany, where food and wine were served, and ideas were born.

This film is the best World War II era film i have ever seen, and one of the best movies i have seen, period. The cast is mostly unknown, but out-act any all-star cast Hollywood has ever produced. Kenneth Branaugh delivers an excellent performance as Heydrich, the head of the table at the meeting. He threatens people with a smile on his face, and barely bats an eye while speaking of killing thousands of people. Stanley Tucci is also great as the party-planner Eichmann, who set up the entire meeting, from the venue to the food to the topics. The way he counts the number of Jews that can be exterminated in a a given period of time is downright creepy. The cast also includes great turns by Colin Firth, a lawyer and professor who thinks the systematic slaughter of the Jews is bad for Germany's future, and Ian McNiece, who plays a hateful and witty official.

The dialogue is smart, funny, and chilling, and contains some jabs at all sides of the biggest war in Earth's history. This is a great movie to show in a history class, before watching a bunch of war movies, or if you just have an interest in the war. It teaches a lot more about the time than Saving Private Ryan (great movie too, but really one-sided), and features the best acting this side of the Godfather.---9/10

Friday (1995)
One of the funniest movies of all time!---10/10, 26 October 2004

When someone asks me which movie i have seen the most times, i have to answer Friday. I know the movie pretty much verbatim, and have seen it well over 30 times. Chris Tucker is one of the funniest people ever. This is his best performance, followed closely by Rush Hour. There are so many funny moments in this movie it would be impossible to name them all here. My favorites would have to be when Smokey meets his blind date, who turns out to be fat and bald, and the scenes where Deebo confronts Smokey and Craig, played by Ice Cube. The movie has a hilarious supporting cast, including John Witherspoon, Tiny Lister, and Bernie Mac. Critics don't know anything. If you ever have a chance to see this and enjoy urban comedy and Chris Tucker, don't even hesitate to watch. 10/10

A good concept but a mediocre flick----5/10, 13 March 2005

I have always been a Robin Williams fan. From watching him goof around in Mrs. Doubtfire when i was a kid to seeing him actually creep me out in One Hour Photo, probably his best movie to date. So i am willing to see anything he has to offer. I got a chance to see The Final Cut for free, so i took it. The plot seemed real interesting and it was a first. Later into the movie though, the plot was getting cut more than people's memories. Williams romance with Mira Sorvino (which was gag-worthy to begin with) doesn't have any closure, and the "cutting" procedure and the whole "chip in the brain" thing didn't seem too thought out. Robin Williams is good as always and he tries his best to keep you interested, and the opening of the movie was promising. I even think with a little work that director Omar Naim can make some really quality flicks. This one, however, seems like it was cut together from a better movie. Which is a shame because it was a really cool idea. 5/10

Loads of fun ---7/10, 21 July 2003

This was a really fun movie to watch. It has some intense action sequences. Actually, a lot of intense action sequences. The shooting never stops and the explosions keep on coming. Martin Lawrence and Will Smith are hysterical, again. And Joe Pantoliano makes every movie better. The two funniest scenes are when Burnett and Lowery are scaring the hell out of Burnett's daughter's date and after the chase scene with the dead bodies and Captain Howard goes off on the two. Absolutely hilarious! My only gripe is that it seemed that the writers were running low on material and resorted to gross-out humor like rats having sex and corpses losing their heads. Not funny. Otherwise it was very funny, due to the amazing chemistry between the two leads. I still prefer the original Bad Boys, but this is still a great time at the movies. 7/10

An amazing war movie---9/10, 7 May 2005

South Korea puts Saving Private Ryan to shame with this amazing war movie. Taegukgi (or Brotherhood of War) is probably the best traditional war movie i have ever seen. The battle scenes are intense and brutal, even more so then Spielberg's classic film (which is a movie i really like, too.) They also kick in at unexpected places. They are sitting around eating and suddenly bombs are exploding and limbs are flying. The acting is incredible and emotional even though i watched it in subtitles (dubbed English voices are horrible). The facial expressions said it all. The story is a heartbreaking tale of two brothers who are drafted into the Korean conflict in 1950. By the end, i came this close to tearing up. And i am a tough guy. Or so i think.

Now i know a lot of people in America tend to overlook foreign movies because their afraid of reading, or can't read, but i am finding more and more that foreign flicks are a lot better than recent Hollywood movies. Hollywood needs to take a lesson and make more creative stories.

This is truly a masterpiece of modern cinema, a milestone in war movies, and one of the best films i have seen in a long time. Incredible.---9/10

15 Minutes (2001)
Good film about crime and media-- 7/10, 16 October 2003

Robert De Niro does great in this movie. Like we haven't heard that before. You can tell he tries to let Edward Burns have his time, but he is such a charismatic screen presence, people would probably pay to watch him sit in a chair for two hours. The movie around him is also good, touching on the interesting topic of the media's effect on violent crimes. Edward Burns does a good job, but i think the real stars here (except for De Niro, of course) are the two East European criminals who come to America searching for fame and fortune, played by Karel Roden and Oleg Taktarov. They are funny and terrifying all at the same time. Oleg's character seems like a friendly guy, but he is actually a violent pervert. And Karel's character is just plain nuts. I recommend this movie for the great performances and it's thought provoking premise. 7/10

Collateral (2004)
One of the best movies this year---9/10, 15 September 2004

Collateral is one of the best films of 2004. Now i admit, i haven't seen too many this year. But there just wasn't much to see. Collateral is a movie i have been looking forward to for some time because it goes back to the days where a movie can take place in the current times and not feature CGI armies clashing while orchestra music plays. It is about characters, plot twists, and atmosphere. These are the elements that suck you into a movie. And Michael Mann know it. Not to mention he has a great cast to work with. In probably his best work to date, Tom Cruise plays Vincent, a hit-man with an itinerary that must be cleared before dawn. I always knew Cruise was a good actor, apparent in movies like Top Gun, Minority Report, and A Few Good Men (in which he was especially good). But i never knew he could pull of an outstanding performance, and yet he does just that in Collateral. Who knew he just had to try being a bad guy for once? He did receive a little help from Jaime Foxx, who plays cab driver Max, Vincent's unwilling hostage. Foxx's equally impressive performance plays off of Cruise's and vice versa. I knew Jaime Foxx could be a great actor when i saw him in Ali, also by Michael Mann.

The script is full of great dialogue, ("Don't do anything stupid. You don't have the trunk space") and plenty of tense situations that will keep you on the edge of your seat. The shootout in the disco, the mugging of Max while tied to the steering wheel, and max trying to pass as a hit-man himself are all classic scenes that i can watch over and over. This is a slickly directed, superbly acted, and nail-bitingly suspenseful film. It's one of the best movies i have seen in a long time. And it's got a Tom Cruise violently killing people. What more could you ask for? 9/10

A solid sci-fi adventure, but not the greatest 7/10, 27 March 2007

If I rated movies based only on visuals and technical achievements, Children of Men would be one of the greatest movies ever. The single take action sequences are flawless in execution and near-future Britain looks amazing. Everything from the cars to the bombed-out buildings, to the beautiful locales is great. Also, the concept of an infertile human race is intriguing and original.

However, i failed to make a connection with any of the characters, making it harder to really care what happens to them. I haven't put my finger on why i didn't care for the characters. I think it's because they didn't seem real enough to me. They seemed very written. Clive Owen did a fine job in the leading role and i actually did care a bit about him, and Michael Caine was kinda fun, but other than that, the characters seemed like they didn't even care that they found a key to to saving humanity.

Perhaps on a second viewing, which i am totally not against, i'll see something i missed and make a more emotional investment in the film. Until then, I'll watch V for Vendetta again. 7/10

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]