Sfpsycho415

Page 8 of 11: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

S.W.A.T. (2003)
A Return to Action's Roots----7/10, 9 August 2003

After a summer full of sequels and duds, S.W.A.T is very refreshing. Even if it is called a remake, the only thing it has in common is the name and the theme. Action movies have been full of computer effects and little soul lately. S.W.A.T. brings action back to it's roots. There is good guys, bad guys, shootouts, chases, one-liners, and fistfights. Ah, that takes me back. But also it teaches a lot about police operations and even a couple messages about greed. Samuel L. Jackson is a badass as usual. Not Pulp Fiction badass, but badass nonetheless. Colin Farrell is good as the young hothead and Michelle Rodriguez is tough and, frankly, hot. LL Cool J is funny but his character isn't much different than all his other movies except In Too Deep. S.W.A.T is a good time at the movies and one of my favorites this year. 7/10

Very Cool Thriller---8/10, 9 August 2003

It still amazes me how a movie that is set in a entirely in a phone booth could be so thrilling. I also found it hilarious. Colin Farrell gives the best performance i have seen him in, even though i have not seen many of his movies. Kiefer Sutherland's voice is so chilling yet often humorous. Very little action doesn't make it a boring flick. In fact, i only looked at the clock hoping the movie would keep going. Which brings me to my only complaint: it's only 81 minutes. Still, a fun movie with great acting, plenty of twists to keep you interested and possibly good enough to watch multiple times. I'll tell you this: I'll never look at a phone booth the same way again. 8/10

Simply Excellent----9/10, 3 August 2003

It is no wonder The Godafather is often regarded as the best film ever. It was totally original at it's time and today, it is filled with great performances that set up wonderful careers, and it is overflowing with drama, romance, mystery, intrigue, action, and tragedy. This epic follows the Corleone family's trials and tribulations in New York and Italy. Vito is the don, Michael, Fredo, and Sonny are his three sons and Tom is his consigliere. This is my favorite of the GF movies. My favorite character is Sonny played by James Caan. Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, and the late John Cazale are all excellent. In my opinion Goodfellas is the best mob movie ever, but this pulls in an ultra close second. 9/10

Good Sequel---7/10, 3 August 2003

Although i thought that Analyze This could stand on it's own, this is a hilarious sequel. Not as good as the first but a good hour and a half of laughs. Billy Crystal is still hilarious, and Robert De Niro spoofs his mafia roles perfectly again. Watch for scenes where Paul is looking for a legit job and Ben is caught listening into mob business. Hysterical.

Some of the other jokes failed to be as funny. A few came off really forced, especially from Lisa Kudrow. The plot this time is rather weak. In Analyze This, everything seemed to click and the jokes seemed fresh and original. Still, Analyze That is a fun and solid sequel to one of the funniest movies ever. 7/10

Very underrated, 3 August 2003

Sure it's not better than the first two, but it still beats a lot of the crap out there now. Al Pacino is great in this movie and Andy Garcia's character Vincent is a refreshing addition. Lots of violence and emotion are packed into this movie that should have been more recognized than it was. My only complaint was Sofia Coppola's sometimes wooden acting, but she did OK. I would recommend it to anyone who loved the first two.

Excellence: Part II----9/10, 3 August 2003

The Godfather Part II continues the story of Michael Corleone and fills the background of Vito Corleone. Robert De Niro shines as Vito from his days in old New York. In some ways, I like Godfather better than Part II, but Robert De Niro's performance makes me rethink that. Al Pacino does great again as Michael and the same with John Cazale's Fredo, and Francis Ford Coppola shows why he is one of the best directors ever. In this second chapter, Michael gains complete control of the family and must find a traitor in their midsts. And we go back to the early 1900's New York and follow a young Vito's childhood and early adulthood. I think this is where the movie really picks up. Vito has always been my favorite (besides Sonny) so it was amazing to see his past. The movie does go on a little long and it slows up once in a while, but that is the only minor flaw. This is cinema at it's best. 9/10

Ronin (1998)
Smart Action---7/10, 3 August 2003

This is one of those few action movies that is intelligent and has explosive action scenes. It follows a group of expert thieves who are paid to steal a suitcase but are not told what is in it. The Paris car chase is one of the best i have ever seen. Robert De Niro is great as usual and the movie also has a great supporting cast. Jean Reno and Sean Bean are excellent while action master John Frankenheimer directs the awesome action sequences which will blow your eyes out of your head. And in what has to be one of the most maddening twists ever, they never tell you what is in the suitcase. That might be a good thing, because whatever it was probably wasn't going to be worth the trouble. It would either be something obvious like money or evidence or something completely ridiculous like a signed Barry Bonds card. So in a way, i am glad i don't know. The movie is exciting from start to finish and has twists galore. Anyone who likes action will get a kick out of it. 7/10

An Early Scorsese-De Niro Classic---7/10, 2 August 2003

After this role, Robert De Niro would go on to win two Oscars and countless nominations. However, i find it amazing how one of the most praised directors ever has never won an Oscar, even after directing some of the best movies of all time. The people know he is great so that's all that matters. Mean Streets is his breakthrough film and his first of many legendary pairings with Robert De Niro. It follows a group of Manhattan hoods, led by Harvey Keitel's Charlie, who want to become big shots. De Niro is fantastic as crazy trouble-maker Johny Boy Civello. Many gangster movie greats make appearances such as David Proval. If you love gangster movies, check out Mean Streets. 7.5/10

Great but a little flawed---7/10, 2 August 2003

This was a really good movie to watch when you are into mafia movies, because it is very authentic looking. However, when i watch this movie, i can't shake the feeling that it resembles an action movie more than a historical drama. I have no problem with that except that it takes away from the accuracy of the film. For example, Frank Nitti was never thrown off a roof by Elliot Ness. He actually committed suicide near some railroad tracks. That sounds a lot more dramatic than being thrown off a roof. But as an action movie, i guess it was more exciting.

Robert De Niro and Sean Connery do great as Al Capone and Malone, respectively. De Niro resembles Al Capone and even put on extra weight to better fit the role. Connery is hilarious and bad-ass as Malone, the cop who helps Elliot Ness fight Capone. This movie is worth owning for the cool shootouts and great acting. 7/10

Goodfellas (1990)
One of the best films ever----10/10, 29 July 2003

I once read a story about Martin Scorsese's battle with cocaine addiction and how Robert De Niro saved his life one way or another by visiting him in the hospital and convincing him to get back to work and make Raging Bull. I started to think that if it wasn't for that, we may never have seen Goodfellas. So if the above is true, thank you Bobby and Marty for making it possible.

Goodfellas is one of the very best movies i have ever seen. It's story, it's dialouge, it's visual style, and it's characters force us to sit up and pay attention to the story of a guy who as far back as he could remember always wanted to be a gangster. In what should have been an Oscar-winning performance (more on that later), Ray Liotta delivers as Henry Hill, a half-Irish half-Italian New Yorker who joins the local mob and is introduced to a life most people never have the chance to live. He meets a pretty but fiery woman named Karen (Lorraine Bracco), makes best friends Jimmy (Robert De Niro) and Tommy (Joe Pesci), and becomes a mob saint when he helps pull off a multi-million dollar heist. Slowly but surely, however, the good life turns sour as he cheats on his wife, the heist eventually costs him everything he has and some very dear friends, and he is forced to testify against the people who gave him so much and enter witness protection.

Martin Scorsese moves the story along with quick pace, by using hilarious, violent, and emotional scenes alternately. We see Hill's life deteriorate by keeping the glamour and the women at the beginning and the addictions and paranoia towards the end. It is an absolute shame that this film didn't win Best Director (which Scorsese should have one countless times by now), let alone Best Picture, Actor, Supporting Actress, and Adapted Screenplay. This is the reason i don't care for the Oscars anymore. One thing the Academy did do right is give Joe Pesci the Best Supporting Actor award. Never has a character been so funny and so terrifying all in the same film. Pesci was another reason the 2 and a half hour film goes by in a snap.

Goodfellas, in my opinion, is even better than the Godfather. While the Godfather may have Marlon Brando's brilliant performance and more visually pleasing locations, Goodfellas is a true gangster picture based on reality and more adaptable to modern times. It is not only a classic, it is a masterpiece. 10/10

Page 8 of 11: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]