Change Your Image
Upload An Image
Crop And Save
The Sentinel (2006)
What I Would Do Differently
Why does Hollywood continue to waste good money and good film stock on very mediocre films?
Here's what I would have done differently:
1) Make Michael Douglas sympathetic from the beginning - show him still wearing the scars of taking Reagan's bullet - much like our sympathy with his character in the much better film 'Black Rain' - you can't compare these two movies. More quite reflection on Douglas would have been awesome;
2) The 'Montrose' character lacked any set-up - there was no payoff. Remember 'Usual Suspects'? There was no 'wow' it was HIM!
3) Too much bad editing - everything kept leaping ahead and there was far too many 'jump cuts' - just awful editing;
4) I would have ramped up the action in the end - Bassinger has a choice: the President or Douglas.
5) Get rid of 'The Sentinel' as the title - this cut $30 million from the box office. So many better titles: 'The Final Assassination'; 'Assassination Affair' 90% of the audience still have no clue what 'Sentinel' means.
6) I would not recruit my talent from CAA, William Morris, or ICM anymore. The time has come for studios to end their love affair with these tiresome agencies. They're just 'spin meisters' who talk fast, hip, and money, but haven't a clue how to tell an engaging story or what the audience wants to see. It's time for the studios to just say 'NO' to these money-changing agencies and DIG DEEPER into finding better talent, better filmmakers, smarter writers.
So many more things I would have done differently.