I_Am_The_Taylrus

Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A Whimsical Beginning To One of the Most Beloved Series of All Time, 1 November 2008

I am an avid fan of the Harry Potter series. I have read every book, seen every movie, and tried to find out everything there is to know about the series. Well, this is the first book, and movie, of the series. It is safe to say that this is a wonderful beginning to the series of Harry Potter movies. This kept to the book quite nicely. Not much seemed to be cut, aside from some minor situations and events, although it is quite sad to see a character like Peeves the Poltergeist to be on the cutting room floor. To be honest, I saw this film when I was quite young, and I thought that all of the characters fit J.K. Rowling's descriptions perfectly. Now older, I feel the same way, but that may be because your childhood memories are memorable.

Harry Potter is an ordinary boy with no special talent, right? He lives with his dreadful relatives after his parents mysteriously died. Then, on an ordinary day, a letter comes. Then another. Then another. Also, a half-giant comes to inform Harry that he is a wizard and he has been accepted to Hogwarts School and Witchcraft and Wizardry. There, at Hogwarts, Harry discovers a world like no other, crammed with talking, and nearly-headless, ghosts, poltergeists, wizards, witches, true friends, and secrets. Secrets that Harry never knew about. Secrets that will reveal more than Harry bargained for.

This is a great movie, simply put. It is full of wonderful special effects, a sometimes dark, sometimes cheery, atmosphere, some nice work from the adult and child actors, although that the children can be a bit over-the-top at times. No matter, though. Chris Columbus does a nice job covering the book from page-to-page, without deleting too much important elements. My main complaint is that Columbus does not do anything unique for the film. He chooses to stick to the book, and that's it. He does the same with Chamber of Secrets. The other directors for the other books put their own different spin on the story. Columbus just makes it all about the book, which is fine, but fans of the books may want to have a little more. Overall, I highly recommend this movie to any fan of the Harry Potter series of books, a little adventure, or any lover of fantasy in general.

An Interesting Idea, But It's Destroyed With Too Much Drama (SPOILERS), 29 January 2008

SPOILERS

After all of the controversy and anticipation surrounding this game-show, I felt that I needed to watch this. It is definitely an interesting idea, but it is so long-winded and boring that I just could not enjoy it. There are several nice elements about the show, like the setting and some of the questions, but there are a lot of things pulling this show back, like the dramatic pauses before the contestant gives his of her answer, and the annoying voice that tells you if it a lie or the truth.

Okay, here is the premise of this game-show. A contestant is asked very personal questions while being strapped to a lie detector. The contestant then must tell the truth. If they do, they win money. However, if they are lying, they lose all of their money that they had won. If the contestant answers all of the questions truthfully, they win the grand prize of five hundred thousand dollars.

Overall, I thought that this was going to be a passable show, but I was heavily disappointed. There are only some good things about the Moment of Truth, but it is mostly just a boring train-wreck of a show. I doubt that I am going to watch the Moment of Truth again. Anyway, this is a terrible show that should not be viewed.

Mortuary (2005/I)
Amazingly Awful (SPOILERS), 21 October 2007

SPOILERS

I just happened to see this movie on the Sci-Fi Channel. I knew it was going to be bad, mainly because it was on the Sci-Fi Channel, and I always like terrible movies to make fun of every now and then, but this movie was just truly awful. I could not find one good thing about this movie. The zombies were laughable, and just the obvious mistakes in this movie were strange. For example, why would a family have about twenty-five containers of salt? Just horrible errors like that make this movie almost unwatchable.

I would give the plot of this film right now like I usually do, but this movie has absolutely no plot whatsoever. It is all over the place. All I can say is that this movie is about black goo that turns people into zombies. When the zombies take over the town three teenagers and a little girl have to save the day. Everything else in this movie makes no sense.

Overall, this is a horrible movie that I just can not recommend to anyone. Every element of this movie is terrible. I must say, though, the worst part of this movie was definitely the ending. I mean, there was no ending. The black goo sucks the main character into the ground and the zombie mother of the main character, who was supposedly destroyed, attacks the sister and the film ends. Could the ending be any worse? Anyway, this is just a horrific movie that nobody should see.

Recommended Films: Swarmed

Fraidy Cat (1942)
A Weak Tom and Jerry, But Still A Classic (SPOILERS), 14 October 2007

SPOILERS

Tom and Jerry is a classic cartoon, with a flawless idea, and almost every single short is a gem. While I must say that this is definitely an inferior short compared such other classic Tom and Jerry shorts, there is not way you can hate this cartoon. Sure, it is understandable to say that this is one of the worst of the first Tom and Jerry episodes, and I can say that I agree, but the fact of the matter is that all Tom and Jerry episodes are great, but some are just better than others. Well, this would fit into "others."

Here is the plot of Fraidy Cat. Tom is listening to an old scary radio broadcast, and becomes easily frightened. Jerry observes how scared he is, and tries to scare him even more than he already is. He creates scary dilemmas for Tom, and Tom becomes scared out of his wits, and his lives. Jerry then puts a sheet over a vacuum cleaner and controls it, thus making it look like the vacuum is a ghost. Tom finds out that Jerry did all of this, and chases him. Tom then accidentally bites the house maid. However, at the end Jerry ends up the one becoming scared after he sees his reflection in a flour cup.

Overall, this is far from the best Tom and Jerry short out there, but this is still a fun and entertaining piece of time. It makes me wish that there was more cartoons like this. The slapstick and gags in this that make Tom and Jerry famous are as good as ever in this short, but it felt like something was missing in this. It felt slower than most Tom and Jerry shorts. Anyway, this is a good short that does not quite live up to some other Tom and Jerry cartoons, but it is still nice.

Swarmed (2005) (TV)
When You Get Attacked By A Bee, Please Don't Use A Shotgun (SPOILERS), 6 October 2007

SPOILERS

Okay, I must admit, I do enjoy those campy Sci-Fi movies when they are on. They try to be scary, but they just end up being a hilarious comedy with terrible acting and moments when you want to yell at the person in the movie for doing something incredibly stupid. Well, Swarmed is no exception. Even though I must say that it is better than most of the Sci-Fi made-for-TV-movies, hence the reason I am giving it a two instead of one, this was just a pathetic film that started off as a comedy and never stopped. I mean, the people in this movie clearly have no idea what they are doing. For example, when a woman is being attacked by one single bee, she uses a shotgun, and never hits her target. Now, she could use one if she was fighting a whole swarm, but using the shotgun against one little bee is just plain dumb.

Here is the plot of this movie. When a chemical leak occurs, bug busters Q and Rafe have to fight the rapidly increasing population of bees in the town. When they do that, they get help from Kent Horvath, who gives them poison to fight against the bees. However the poison only makes them even more powerful and aggressive. Kent eventually starts to hunt with them, and so does bug expert Christina Brown. They quickly realize that the population is increasing more and more, and the town festival is approaching. They need to get rid of the bees before it is too late. At the festival the bees attack the entire city, killing hundreds. Q, Rafe, Kent, and Christina manage to destroy most of them. They then lure the rest of the bees into a garage and blow it up. They bees are gone, except for one, and the film ends.

Overall, this is a cheesy, over-the-top, and corny time. In the category so-bad-it's-good, this movie fits perfectly. You will laugh more than you will jump. In fact, you will not jump at all. I must admit, though, even with all my negative comments, there are some creative death scenes, like when a man hides from the bees in a dunk tank, and breathes using a hose, and the bees fly into the hose, and sting him inside the mouth. That was kind of neat. Anyway, with all the cheesy CGI, the terrible acting, and the pure corny elements of this film, it is impossible to call this movie a good one. It is a great comedy, but for horror, it falls flat.

Recommended Films: Frankenfish, Mega-Snake.

I Like The American Version A Bit Better, But This Is Still A Wonderful Show (SPOILERS), 18 September 2007

SPOILERS

I have managed to catch a couple episodes of the British Whose Line Is It Anyway, and I must say, it was incredibly funny. As I mentioned before, I enjoy the American version a little more, but if you watch them side-by-side, you will realize that they are both two great shows that should still be on. You will also see that a lot of the people in the American version are in the British version, and I enjoy that a lot, but I also get to see a lot of the talented and funny British comedians, too, so that is also great.

Here is the basis. It is practically the same. A group of comedians to improvisation games together. After all of the games, the host decides who the winner is. However, whoever wins still plays the last game with the other contestants.

Overall, this is a terrific and very funny show that, from the episodes I have seen, was a wonderful show right until the very end. Anyway, this, like the American version, is hilarious and you would not want to miss it.

Recommended Shows: Whose Line Is It Anyway, Thank God You're Here.

Definitely One Of The Greatest Shows Ever (SPOILERS), 18 September 2007

SPOILERS

I mean, how could you hate Whose Line Is It Anyway? It was one of the funniest shows ever, and Ryan Stiles, Greg Proops, Wayne Brady, Colin Mochrie, Drew Carey, and everyone else on this show are truly amazing and talented. I prefer this one over the British version, but that version is still fantastic, too. The games in this show are great, too. Greatest Hits could get annoying and overdone at times, but Film, Television, Theater Styles, Scenes From a Hat, Whose Line, Hoedown, Props, are terrific. The list of good games could go on and on.

Here is the basis of Whose Line Is It Anyway? A group of comedians have to play games with help from the audience. However, everything is totally ad-libbed, so they have to do the best they can to improv. The host Drew Carey then decides who won the episode after all the games and the winner gets to sit back and relax as the rest do something like Hoedown or Props.

Overall, this is definitely in my top five favorite television shows of all time. Why was it canceled? The concept was so simple, and yet so elaborate at the same time. This was an incredible show to watch. It was so bright, so witty, and if you watch one episode, you would never want to miss another one. Anyway, this is a fantastic show that you must see.

Recommended Shows: Thank God You're Here

A Masterpiece. It's Hard To Do Better Than This Film (SPOILERS), 16 September 2007

SPOILERS

Ever since I became an Alfred Hitchcock fan, the movie that he made that I wanted to see was Rear Window, but I never got the chance to. Well, I finally saw it and it was amazing. Definitely one of the best movies I have seen, and I do believe that this is Alfred Hitchcock's masterpiece, and his greatest film ever. It really is hard to top this movie. It is incredibly suspenseful, Jimmy Stewart, Grace Kelly, Thelma Ritter, and Raymond Burr's acting is all terrific, and the story is simple yet so terrifying and frightening. Without the story, this film would be no where near as famous as it is today. I mean, the story has been parodied so many times, like in the Simpsons. There are a lot of subtle and little touches in this movie, like the similarities between some of the characters, like the comparison to L.B and Lisa to the neighbors, that you do not quite notice until you watch this film again for the second time. Alfred Hitchcock really did a fantastic job in directing this. By the way, Hitchcock is seen winding a clock as his cameo.

Here is the plot of this film. L.B Jeffries is a photographer who broke his leg and has to stay in his apartment with his girlfriend Lisa and his nurse Stella. When he grows bored Jeffries starts spying on his neighbors. Then, he believes he sees his neighbor Lars Thornwald murder his nagging wife. Nobody believes Jeffries, though. However, Jeffries notices strange behaviors that Thornwald has. He owns several knives, his dog sniffs around his garden, and his dog mysteriously dies. Stella and Lisa realize that something is wrong when they see that Thornwald's wife does not have her wedding ring on and, when Thornwald is gone, they investigate my digging up the garden. They do not find anything. Lisa then searches his apartment, but Thornwald comes home and catches her. The police come and Lisa is arrested for burglary. Then, Thornwald realizes that Jeffries is spying on him and starts attacking him. Jeffries is knocked out of the window. Thornwald is then arrested for the murder of his wife. Lisa is also set free. The film ends with Jeffries having two casts on his legs.

Overall, this is a gripping, suspenseful, masterpiece of a film. It is probably Hitchcock's best and one of the best films out there. Not only is there the obvious suspense, but the writing has light-hearted comedy in it, too, that I tend to like. I personally believe that this film has every right to be number fourteen on the Top 250. This is an unbelievable picture that you just can not miss. Anyway, I can just keep on saying that this is a great movie, but all I will say now is just watch this movie, you will have no regrets.

Recommended Films: Psycho, Vertigo, and North By Northwest.

An Underrated Masterpiece Of A Game-Show (SMALL SPOILERS), 15 September 2007

Okay, I must admit, I have only seen one episode of the Joker's Wild on the Game Show Network's Fifty Greatest Game Shows Of All Time, but with that one episode, I believe that it is safe to say that this is a marvelous seventies game-show that is not as popular as it should be. I mean, when most people think of a seventies game-show, they think of Match Game or Family Feud, but the Joker's Wild deserves some recognition, too. Jack Barry is great as the host, and the game-play is addictive and fun.

Overall, this is a fun game-show that I wish would be on more often than it is, but if you get a chance to see this, I would definitely recommend watching.

Recommended Titles: Card Sharks

This Is A Grand Slam In Game-Shows! (SPOILERS), 15 September 2007

SPOILERS

I was highly excited when I heard about Grand Slam. I thought the idea was amazing and it looked like a lot of fun. When I saw it I was not disappointed at all. This was a terrific game-show that was intense, unpredictable, suspenseful, and exciting. This is by far the best game-show I have seen in a while, and towers over some game-shows that have recently come out like Set For Life, National Bingo Night, and Show Me the Money. I guarantee that you will not hate this show. I mean, it is amazing to see somebody like Thom McKee take on John Carpenter, or someone like Michelle Kitt take on Kevin Olmstead, and actually beating him. Also, the subtle things in this show are great, too. If you actually pay attention to the score, you will realize that the music is incredible, and really brought the tension to life.

Here is the concept for this game-show. Dennis Miller and Amanda Byram host this show. Legends from game-shows take on other legends from game-shows head-to-head. There are four rounds, General Knowledge, Numbers and Logic, Words and Letters, and Mixed. This is how they play. They are asked questions, and their clock begins to count down. If they get the question right, their opponent's begins to count down. Whoever wins that round keeps whatever time they have left on their clock. Whoever wins the final rounds goes forward. There is the quarterfinals, semifinals, and finals. In the finals the two remaining contestants have an additional round, Comteporary Knowledge.

Overall, this is an outstanding game-show that, if you are a fan of game-shows like me, would not want to miss. The questions are difficult, and you may be surprised of who wins a round. Also, I am pretty glad that Ken Jennings won the game, instead of Ogi Ogas. The hosts were pretty good, too. Sometimes Dennis Miller got annoying, but his jokes were pretty funny. Anyway, this is a great game-show and I hope there is a lot more to come of it.

Recommended Titles: Jeopardy, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, and the Weakest Link

Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]