luludavis

Page 10 of 11: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A wonderful Coming-of-Age film, 12 December 2002

This film is a perfect meditation on male-male relationships,

male-female relationship and what is mean to hop in a car and just

drive. All of the characters are so exposed that at times I felt guilty

that I was easedropping on their lives. This is also the first film that

I've seen in ages where the sex in the story(and there is plenty)

actually propels the tale instead of being there for the audiences'

titillation. All of the sexual encounters are realistic and actually

have an impact on the lives of the people involved. There is none of

that glossy, air-brushed, MTV, bumping and grinding in this film. As in

lfe there are many surprises in the film. It is well worth

Suspenseful and Sympathetic portrayal of humanity, 31 October 2002

Robin Williams has once again shown himself to be an actor with depth.

He can inhabit the life of any character handed to him. Wheter it's the

phyciatrist in Good Will Hunting or the Kiddie Show host in Death to

Schmoochie, Williams' skills in improvisation and character study are a

wonder to behold. Director Mark Romanek deserves an award for his

vision. He accurately depicts the sterility of suburban life and the

banality of of the oh-so-hip yuppie couble portrayed by Cinnie Neilson

and Michael Vartan. Romanek owns alot to Alfred Hitchcock in his

attention to detail. Everything means something in this film. The

narration by Williams is brilliant and lends a sympathy to the character

of Sy, the photo guy. This film is sure to become a cult

A brilliant, complex and entertaining tale, 28 October 2002

What a wonderful film! Whoever's responsible for assembling cast should get an award for casting. Taylor, Davis, Lewis and Harden are four of the most interesting actors to watch on screen. The story is brilliant. It is an honest, thoughtful and unapologetic look at motherhood, gender and intimate relationships. Juliette Lewis gives the best performance she's ever given in the role of April (a character unlike any she's ever played). Lili Taylor is sincerely brilliant and intense as usual. Judy Davis and Marcia Gay Harden are hilarious. Even the city of Barcelona and the architecture of the artist Gaudi are characters in this film. I am not familiar with this director's other work but her vision is very seductive. The camera angles, her use of color and the pace at which the film ebbs and flows is the reason I love cinema so much. The little girl who plays Delihah (Courtney Jines) is a total treat. She's smart but she's still childlike. She's complex without sounding a kid reading 'adult' lines. I reccommend this film whole-heartedly.

A shining example of the Fantasy/Thriller genre, 11 August 2002

Leave it to the folks across the pond to come up with this classic tale of late 60's/early 70's mysticism, murder and new-age eroticism. The story is full of interesting twists and turns and the ending is surprisingly beautiful and gruesome all at once. It's campy and intelligent, funny and thought-provoking. Edward Woodward is unfortunately known to most americans as T.V.'s, The Equalizer where his acting ability was not allowed to expand to it's full range but his performance in this tale is so complex and engaging that it makes the other-worldliness of the story very believable. Christopher Lee does what he does best: playing sexy, noble and high-minded rascals. There is a special treat in store for Britt Eckland fans in a scene that is set to song and dance. It the kind of movie to see with a group of friends. It will quench your thirst for all things Retro and provide you a few things to think about as well.

A shining example of the Fantasy/Thriller genre, 11 August 2002

A beautifully crafted, complex and touching thriller, 11 August 2002

Hampton Fancher is a brilliant writer and director. In The Minus Man, he has managed to accomplish several tasks that no one else has be able to do. He is the first director who has cast Janeane Garofalo in a role that reveals her immense sex appeal. Ms. Garofalo's character, Ferrin displays a full range of emotions and despite her obvivous personal demons, she is a beam of light in a rather dark and disturbing film. Owen Wilson is magnificant as the quirky, unassuming vagabond killer machine, Van. Much of the movie is told by Van's narration. We are made to sympathize with his obvivious moral confusion. The scene with Van and Ferrin are touching, sweet and spooky. Mr. Fancher's fantastic film is further enhanced by the presence of Mercedes Reuhl and Brian cox as the landlords who rents Van a room. Ms. reuhl is allowed to be troubled and complex and still maintain her smouldering, mature sexuality while Mr. Cox is still engaging despite his David Lynchian psychotic episodes. This director even manages to makes Van's truck and the sun-drenched, westcoast beachscape a character in the film. A must-see!

insightful documentary with a few surprises, 24 June 2002

A friend reccommended this film to me and I was reluctant to watch it. Why would the lives of four teen-aged girls be interesting to me ? Well, although every news magazine from 20/20 to Dateline has done this kind of expose', it was obvivious from the start that Ms. Di Feliciantonio and Ms. Wagner got these girls to open up on a more intimate level than any investigative reporter could. This film shows that teen-aged girls are smarter than society gives them credit for.

Dogfight (1991)
A new kind of Vietnam film, 9 June 2002

Just when I thought I had heard all the Vietnam stories that needed to be told, along comes Dogfight. Dogfight takes a very original approach to the Vietnam tale in that the director does not take us to Vietnam until much later in the story. The bulk of the tale centers on the 'almost' accidental meeting of two people from seemingly different worlds. One character, a new Marine recruit out for a night of fun at the expense of some hapless female who will put money in his pocket as a result of a bet and the other character, an idealist young woman who is so sincere and trusting that even I was sucked into her attraction to the unscrupulous Marine. The film's stars, River Phoenix and Lili Taylor are the reason that this film works. I can think of no other young actors that could have garnered my sympathy so quickly in a story whose premise is as unappealing as it is somewhat farfetched. And by the film's end both characters are so transformed by the times in which they live that I found myself wishing for a sequel to find out how their lives turned out. It was my first time seeing Lili Taylor in a film and she has proven to be the most engaging actor of my generation in every film that she has done since.

A thoroughly entertaining and artful film, 9 June 2002

The Coen Brothers are one of the few 'complete' filmmaking teams in the film industry and this could not be more evident than in the film, "The Man Who Wasn't There". By 'complete' I am referring to the attention that is paid to every aspect of a film. Director Joel Coen frames every shot as if he has studied the paintings of Edward Hopper(an important that made art during the period of American history that this film is set in). The sharp contrast of light and shadow coupled with continous views through opened doorways and windows gives the film an almost three dimensional look. The use of the classical piano Beethoven piece is featured in the opening credits and is introduced throughout the film at key moments until it becomes part of the characters movement and thoughts. And who else but the Coen Brothers can make a character's tragic descent seems simultaneously comical and (with the closing lines uttered by Billy Bob Thornton) spiritually uplifting. And let's forget that Frances McDormand is the most versatile actress in film today. She is incredibly sexy, dangerous and vulnerable as Doris Crane, the wife of Billy Bob's character.I've never hated, lusted after and then felt deep compassion for a film character as I did for Mrs. Crane. Other great performances were given by such underrated actors as Tony Shaloub, Michael Badalucca and James Gandolfini.

Rounders (1998)
A good "buddy" film for Generation X, 18 March 2002

Matt Damon never ceases to amaze me. I thought he was just another

pretty boy but he's proven himself to be an excellent actor. The story

is classic. A guy trying to do the right thing but his past keeps coming

back to haunt him. Edward Norton's character is part of this checkered

past. There is an old Steve McQueen movie called The Cincinnati Kid. I

think that this movie is a veiled remake of that classic. John Turturro,

John Malkovich and Martin Landau provide maturity and grit to the