xJags

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Fight. Dream. Hope. Love., 20 January 2013

Les Misérables is a musical, and my first time actually watching a musical, set in 19th-century France. Jean Valjean(Hugh Jackman), who for decades has been hunted by the ruthless policeman Javert,(Russel Crowe) after he breaks parole, agrees to care for factory worker Fantine's(Anne Hathaway) daughter, Cosette(Isabelle Allen/Amanda Seyfried). I have to admit, I wasn't expecting to enjoy a musical but this film re-enforced that you can't fully enjoy a movie with an open mind. Enough about me, onto the movie.

This is an all star cast and these are some top notch performances especially by Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Eddie Redmayne, Russel Crowe and Samantha Barks(Who surprised me, for some reason I was very impressed with her role). Anne Hathaway's riveting performance as Fantine completely captivated me, every second she was on camera with such raw emotion and brilliance - I was blown away. Hugh Jackman was phenomenal as well with his leading role, a very commanding performance and again, with great emotion. They each sang with such passion and intensity. I was highly impressed with each and every actor's performance in this film.

I also really enjoyed how each theme - Dream. Hope. Love and Fight were incorporated into the storyline and brilliantly brought to life. Fantine's DREAM for Cosette brought to life because of Jean's HOPE for a better future and the LOVE and FIGHT of Marius. The songs were written well to suit each character. I loved the costumes and the fact this this movie wasn't made out to be too glamorous so that it would keep the real feel of what the characters were going through at the time.

I was really impressed with this film and I enjoyed its as a real emotional roller-coaster. Les Misérables is a must see for anyone who is interested in a truly exceptional film.

Wintess The Greatest Manhunt In History., 20 January 2013

Ever since I first saw the trailer for Zero Dark Thirty I knew that I would want to see it and with all the Oscar buzz I made time to watch this film and it certainly didn't disappoint.

The main thing I loved about this film was the intensity that it built up especially toward the end and the fact that you feel every bit of emotion Maya, played brilliantly by Jessica Chastain and the rest of her team are feeling. While the entire movie is centered around Maya, the supporting cast does very well with their time on screen as well. The reason Jessica Chastain's performance as Maya is being praised is because of her sheer determination and confidence but yet subtlety to find and kill Al Qaeda terrorist - Osama Bin Laden, every ounce of frustration, hope, disappointment is showcased brilliantly.

The film's director, Oscar winner, Kathryn Bigelow has done as exceptional job with this film. The criticizing of the torture scenes is not necessary as they give a greater sense of reality to the film as it not a typical glamorous and polished Hollywood film. I would say this is more of a time line/sequenced film as it takes you through the efforts of the people who have been hunting Bin Laden however that doesn't mean there is no plot.The last hour of the film is by far the most suspenseful and I was highly impressed with the raw feel of this entire film.

Is this film Oscar worthy? Yes! I would highly recommend this movie, make some time and go witness "The Greatest Manhunt of History."

Read the book then saw the movie..., 27 August 2012

"Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds ever be in your favor!"

Recently I got some time and decided to read The Hunger Games. I must say, Suzanne Collins' novel was ingenious and I found myself not wanting to put the book down. I finished the book in 3 days then went on to watch the movie, here are my thoughts.

Jennifer Lawrence plays Katniss and I must say, she embodied the character so well as her performance was strong and captivating. If it was one thing that was adapted perfectly it was bringing Katniss to life with this great actress. Woody Harrelson who plays Haymitch, a drunk who was a former winner of The Hunger Games nailed his role! He was spot on and did a great job with the role. Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket, Liam Hemsworth as Gale, Willow Shields as Prim, Amandla Stenberg as Rue and Alexander Ludwig as Cato, all did excellent jobs with their roles.

However I'm not sure where I stand with Josh Hutcherson. The love-struck Peeta from the book did not transfer across in the film. For instance, in the book Peeta and Katniss kissed at least 5 times and were so much more romantic in the book than in the movie. He did a good job with the role but I think he could have done better. For those who have read the book you would have noticed that certain details were not included and the ending wasn't exactly the same. However the scenes that were vital in the book as well as the imagery - The awe of the Capitol in contrast with the poverty of the Districts - was so well done.

All in all I enjoyed this film and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to see a movie about hope because "Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear."

A re-boot that beats the Original, 30 July 2012

In 2002, Sam Raimi brought us Spider-Man and 10 years later Marc Webb gives us The Amazing Spider-Man, and that's what the film is - Amazing.

Peter Parker (Garfield)was abandoned by his parents as a boy and raised by his Uncle Ben (Sheen) and Aunt May (Field). Peter is also finding his way with his first high school crush, Gwen Stacy (Stone). As Peter discovers a mysterious briefcase that belonged to his father, he begins a quest to understand his parents' disappearance - leading him directly to Oscorp and the lab of Dr. Curt Connors (Ifans), his father's former partner. As Spider-Man is set on a collision course with Connors' alter- ego, The Lizard.

Andrew Garfield is perfect for the role of Peter Parker and does a better job with the character than his predecessor, Tobey Maguire. He adds more emotion to the character. It is amazing to see his journey and see his character evolve. His goofy and shy personality contrasts well with the intensity he brings to Spider-Man.

Emma Stone plays Gwen Stacy, the love interest, daughter of Captain Stacy(head of police) and intern for Dr Curt Conners. The chemistry between Garfield and Stone is adorable and its very fun to watch to couple's love story unfold. Gwen is more than a damsel in distress as opposed to Mary Jane from the past movies. Her role is quite crucial in the movie and Emma Stone was a prefect choice.

Rhys Ifans plays Dr. Curt Conners, the antagonist of the film, and the alter ego - The Lizard. His life's work as a Biologist studying gene mutations quickly becomes his downfall as what he thought was a cure led to his demise. Ifans is a very satisfying villain and does a great job with the role.

I'm not a huge Spider-Man fan but this movie managed to persuade me. I recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the character or in the mood for a good hero movie.With these young talents, strong performances by the cast, great special effects, a well written and well directed film, The Amazing Spider-Man is truly... Amazing.

Ted (2012)
Funniest movie of the year, 30 July 2012

Mila Kunis, Mark Wahlberg and Seth McFarlane, just from knowing that I knew that I had to see Ted.

This film is the epitome of hilarious, I laughed from beginning to end and I'm sure you will too, as long as you aren't easily offended. Mila and Mark have good chemistry and their performances were very strong. Seth McFarlane's wit and sarcasm was evident in the script and the crude humor of Family Guy was present throughout the film. I won't recommend this film for anyone under 13 however adults will thoroughly enjoy the movie. The plot is basic, nothing phenomenal but the humor and wit along with the cast makes this movie just plain old fun.

I don't want to spoil anything but there are a few cameo appearances from celebrities such as Norah Jones and Ryan Reynolds as well as several cross references to pop culture for humor. If you're in the mood for a great and hearty laugh, Ted is definitely the movie for you.

Red Eye (2005)
Fasten Your Seatbelt., 30 December 2011

Lisa(Rachel McAdams) is on the Red Eye flight to visit her Dad(Brian Cox) however when she meets Ripner(Cillian Murphy), she realizes that this might be the longest flight of her life.

Wes Craven certainly doesn't disappoint with this 85 minute thriller. The movie starts off with the airport encounter where Lisa meets Ripnern and then they end up sitting next to each other on the plane; all is well until takeoff.The atmosphere quickly changes to an extremely intense one and the movie gets more interesting from that point on.

The performances were solid, McAdams and Murphy did excellent jobs playing the "damsel in distress" and "villian" respectively. The music was simple, though there was not much it helped create the atmosphere of intensity and thrills. The script was well written based off the interesting plot and I liked that the movie had good character development, as the audience we all took keen interest in the main characters.

Simple and effective are the words to describe this thriller. Hats off to Wes Craven for another job well done!

Are you sure you want to play this game?, 29 December 2011

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows is a one of the rare sequels I enjoyed just as much as the original, if not, even more.

Holmes(Robert Downey Jr) and Watson(Jude Law) re-unite to face their rival, Professor Moriarty who Holmes describes as "The Napoleon of Crime". The movie started strong, kept a good pace and had quite and intense ending.The performances are all solid from each cast member and this sequel is more humorous than the first movie which made it more enjoyable. The script was well written and Holmes, as usual, was quite witty and quick. I also enjoyed the visual effects and music in the movie. Hats off to Guy Ritchie and Hans Zimmer on a job well done. Just like the first movie, the mind games continue however in this movie, Holmes is challenged by the Professor, to avoid spoilers I will just say this:

Professor Moriarty: Are you sure you want to play this game? Sherlock Holmes: I'm afraid you'd lose.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows is a clever, enjoyable and action packed movie, just as well done as its predecessor. This movie will not disappoint.

Bridesmaids (2011/I)
These Bridesmaids aren't that hopeless, 28 December 2011

Bridesmaids is an extremely crude movie revolving around the life of Annie(Kristen Wiig)after being selected as the Maid Of Honor by her best friend Lillian(Maya Rudolph) however when Annie meets Helen(Rose Byrne), competition ensues between the two and we see Annie's life begin to take a turn for the worst.

The movie honestly has a good cast, I was very impressed with the performances especially Megan(Melissa McCarthy) who was the highlight of the movie for me, she is hilarious and brought a really good energy to the cast. My only critique for the acting is Kristen Wiig, she seems like a bland actress to me, maybe it was just her character but she put me off for most of the movie. Lillian was a little boring but the rest of the cast did good jobs with their roles.

There were parts of this movie that had you laughing so hard, most of which was because of Megan and the movies kept a good pace also. The script I thought was well written, the plot was creative and entertaining though a little predictable and the casting was excellent I just wasn't really drawn to any of the characters and that made the movie lack emotional depth.

Aside from the movie's predictability and the lack of being drawn to the characters, Bridesmaids is funny and had solid performances from the cast. If you're in the mood for a comedy,check it out

The Help (2011)
Not what I expected., 7 September 2011

The Help is set in the 1960's where colored people had little to no rights and mainly focuses on the colored maids working for the "white" people.I didn't really want to see the movie but it got great reviews so I decided to check it out. I must say this movie was quite touching and very well done.

The cast is excellent with award worthy performances from Viola Davis, Emma Stone and Octavia Spencer - the main cast. The acting was amazing and there was great chemistry among the respectful classes of people in the film ( the whites and the blacks).

The script was well written and I love the balance of comedy and drama. There are some intense scenes however the comedy makes the movie more enjoyable rather than just a movie to make you feel sad all the way through. There was a perfects balance there and I loved that. The film also took you on a roller-coaster of emotions. Sometimes you were sad, extremely happy, angry or laughing. Its also one of those movies that can hold your interest from beginning to end.

With great performances, a brilliant script and a film so touching and inspiring, The Help is definitely a must-see!

Hot teens, sick villains oh and don't forget the sharks..., 5 September 2011

Shark Night 3D has a simple plot and its nothing we haven't seen before - college students on a deserted island with shark infested waters.

This movie has a very predictable plot and very little character development even on the main characters which doesn't make you feel anything when a character dies. You can guess how the sharks got in the water way before the movie is even half over, which completely killed some of the fun.

If the plot doesn't make you iffy then you would look at the cast, most of whose names many of us have never heard of. The only really good performance in this movie was from Dustin Milligan, his acting was solid.

The movie was just to un-realistic for my liking. For instance, sharks don't leap out of the water often nor do they attack every human being. On top of that the movie's shark kill scenes are basically screaming and bloody water, there is little to no gore. The 3D was good when underwater but otherwise it did nothing for the movie.The movie isn't even a horror, there are just moments of suspense before the kill and that's it.The 3D was used well in some parts but for the majority of the movie it was not necessary.

So if you're in the mood for half-naked college students, some suspense and blood and a movie with a predictable plot, Shark Night 3D is the movie for you! Otherwise, you should pass on this one.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]