atzimo

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Funny, Silly, Fun, 27 October 2014

I almost didn't watch this one because of all the bad reviews. Grown Ups 2 is the best Adam Sandler comedy since a LONG time. Much better than the first Grown Ups. It's full of silliness and good fun. All the favourite cameos are the jokes are constant.

All the bad reviews are void to what these comedies represent; you have to be in that wavelength to enjoy the movie. Don#t bother if Adam Sandler annoys you, this movie is not for you.

So here's the deal; if you enjoy the old Adam Sandler movies, like the Waterboy, Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison, this is the 2013 equivalent. Go check it out, you won't regret it.

Shame (2011)
Refreshing and engaging, 25 January 2012

This is my latest review after a long time. 'Shame' moved me so much I just had to come back here and write about it.

I watched it last night. I am getting this very rare feeling of wanting to watch it again today.

'Shame' is about life in the big city. Ignore the superficial comments on sex addiction. It's about isolation from family ties, friends and even your own self.

The filming is just phenomenal. Nothing is redundant, every shot is substantial and necessary in the story.

A rare film, not appreciated by everyone. I saw a lot of couples leaving the theater, 15 minutes in. I wouldn't want to watch this movie on a first date.

Brilliant.

Taken (2008/I)
Much better than you would expect it to be - Do not miss out, 30 November 2008

It is unfortunate that 'Taken' is automatically regarded as clichéd by hearing its plot alone. In a nutshell, the daughter of an American secret agent is kidnapped and so he goes after her kidnappers. Sounds like a movie-made-for-TV doesn't it? Well it's not! The writing is excellent. Very tight, it gets to the point really quickly. It is obvious that they worked on the script a lot, to ensure that nothing boring or redundant is left inside. The rhythm of the plot picks up quickly and you don't want to stop watching.

The action scenes are filmed to perfection and they are all convincing and interesting. The European set gives a kind of exotic vibe, adding to the value of the movie.

Finally Liam Neeson is perfect for the role. You might think that someone like Bruce Willis might be more cut out for this, but Neeson proves he is an excellent actor and his performance is truly enjoyable.

Do not miss out on 'Taken'. It is one of the best of its kind.

Best Rock'n'Roll movie since Spinal Tap, 25 February 2007

I haven't written a review in a while, nothing was really inspiring enough the last year or so to get me to write. "Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny" changed that.

Jack Black has really become synonymous with respectful and passionate references to rock music. "School of Rock" was incredible, he gave an exciting performance about a rock musician trying to get a grasp with reality and then finding his way back into the world of Rock. In "Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny" a similar character starts on a journey to find his rock destiny.

The music is great, the story is interesting and funny and the performances are perfect. The cameo appearances are excellent too, especially by Tim Robbins and Ben Stiller.

This is a comedy about Rock but without making fun of it, the same way "Spinal Tap" was caring about its characters.

I really hope that they make a sequel, do not miss this movie if you're into rock music.

The Omen (2006)
An exact replication of the original, 16 June 2006

The movie is not bad. How can it be bad when they copied the original classic in its entirety. The death sequences are the same, the story is the same, in fact every little detail is replicated.

Well done. I think that the creators of the first Omen could sue. It's that ridiculous. I believe that Hollywood wanted to cash in the whole 6.6.06 idea and that was the best thing they could come up with. It proves for one more time that there is no integrity, no artistic value and no respect for anything in the movie business.

I felt embarrassed watching the new Omen. I felt that the world reached its artistic peak 20 years ago and all we can do now is start repeating everything.

It's sad...

The Real 'Meet The Parents', 10 June 2006

When I heard about 'The Family Stone' I thought that the cast is to good for the movie to be bad. Fortunatelly I wasn't proved wrong.

The fact is that this movie is very well balanced, very well directed and very well acted. Sarah Jessica Parker plays perfectly the role of the uptight and embarrassed bride to be, that meets the family of her fiancé for the very first time. The family doesn't like her as she doesn't exactly fit the profile of their ideal bride.

The situations that the female protagonist is called to face are embarrassing and maybe even extreme, yet very realistic. And that is the success of the movie. It is happy, sad and engaging, in a way that feels real.

The rest of the cast helps very much in this direction. Especially Dermot Mulroney who gives another excellent performance as the groom to be and the parents played by Craig T. Nelson and Diane Keaton. Craig T. Nelson is phenomenal as the father and Diane Keaton is in one of the most memorable roles of her career.

I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't enjoy 'The Family Stone'. It doesn't sound like an original story, but it truly is unique in its qualities.

16 Blocks (2006)
Best Police Drama Of The Decade, 9 June 2006

Richard Donner is back with one of the best police dramas of all time.

Bruce Willis is back too, with the role of his career. Forget Willis's past. This is his magnum opus. He plays that character he's played so many times before only this time he knows what works and what doesn't. His performance alone is worth watching this movie. He plays the old washed-out, alcoholic cop that finds a chance to redeem himself and takes it. This is the equivalent of Clint Eastwood's role in 'The Unforgiven'.

Mos Def is excellent too. He shows real maturity and control over his performance. David Morse is the icing on the cake. He plays the villain you hate to love. His performance is worth an Oscar for supporting role.

The harmonious combination of all these elements is because of Richard Donner being behind the camera. Of course he has done the 'Lethal Weapon' series and with '16 Blocks' he gets the chance to show the dark side of police stories. The most important element in the movie is the sense of realistic intensity, projected by Willis' outstanding performance.

Seeing Steve Kahan in the movie made me feel warm inside. I wish Richard Donner would make films more often.

Best of the three, 28 May 2006

After the very good first movie and the completely forgettable sequel I wasn't expecting much from X-Men: The Last Stand. In fact I was just hoping to see some good action and visual effects. After the first few minutes I realised I was in for a surprise.

The story is very dark, sometimes quite close to a horror movie. What's cool about this movie is that it has a feel of a Twilight Zone episode. There is closure, maybe not what fans wanted, but it signifies the end of the series.

The visual effects are incredible, very organic looking. In fact you don't notice them, they're that good. I think they are the best visual effects to date. This may sound pompous but it is true. When I saw King Kong I could tell I was was watching animated graphics. In X-Men 3 the visual effects are integrated flawlessly into the real elements. Perfection.

Do not miss out on this movie. It is an exiting adventure, the best Marvel movie to date.

Movie sequels should be against the law!, 3 May 2006

All these movies ruined by god awful sequels: the Matrix, Back to the future, Jaws, Rocky, Rambo, Godfather, Conan and now Basic Instinct.

I know that studios want to make money, but it's time that artists should be able to protect their creations from the blood thirsty producers.

Basic Instinct 2 isn't even worth the download! I watched till about halfway when the guy was having sex with his girlfriend while thinking about Kathrine. Just like in the first movie, only now it's funny. Embarrassing, laugh out loud funny.

In fact the entire movie is an unintentional parody of the first Basic Instinct. And Sharon Stone is a little too old to play the sex goddess.

Sad...

Funny, Interesting, Original, 30 April 2006

Finally an excellent movie that is ideal vehicle for Robert Downey Jr. Downey is a thief who is pretending to be an actor by accident. He finds himself in the middle of a murder investigation along with his high school dream girl and Kilmer who's been training him for his upcoming role. 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' grabs you from the start, the story is funny and interesting, sometimes almost a parody of anything sappy in movies. Val Kilmer is exceptional, very funny, he demonstrates his comedic talent with ease. I think that anyone who enjoys original and interesting concepts in movies they are going to enjoy 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang'. Highly recommended, this movie is a breath of fresh air.

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]