Angel-Marie

WWII Cartoons Don't Get Any More Insulting Than This (Spoilers Somewhere Here), 2 May 2002

In these PC times, this cartoon (along with other WW-II cartoons) is more than likely locked up forever in a vault and/or passed around on the public domain video circuit and on the Web. I've seen this cartoon on several websites about rare and un-PC cartoons and it's not as bad as people say it is. This (and the WW-II allegory "The Ducktators") is/was a nice way for Norm McCabe (a very underrated animator at Warner Bros) to end his career.

Sure, it may be "different" from any other WW-II cartoon and, yes, it is insulting to anyone of Japanese descent (and German because of one gag involving Hitler and Italian because of a Mussolini gag), but people should look at it from a historical POV and learn from it.

One Of The Only Cartoon-Cartoons That I Can Actually Enjoy, 27 April 2002

To tell you the truth, I only watch Cartoon Network for Looney Tunes, the adult-oriented anime (i.e., "Cowboy Bebop" and "Yuyu Harshuko"), and the cartoons on Adult Swim. The "Cartoon-Cartoons" that permeate CN's airwaves are either horribly overrated (i.e., Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab) or a complete waste of writers and animators (i.e., Courage the Cowardly Dog, Sheep in the Big City, Grim and Evil, etc).

However, there are only five "Cartoon-Cartoons" that I'll watch: Johnny Bravo (the episodes before Pops and Carl), Cow and Chicken, Ed Edd and Eddy, Samurai Jack, and Time Squad (which I had to learn to like over time).

IMO, Time Squad is just like "Toonsylvania" and "Ren and Stimpy" because all three of them tap into the warped humor of theatrical cartoons (and TV cartoons before the 1990's) and all of them (save R&S) are underrated shows that people either hate with a passion or have never heard of.

My verdict for Time Squad is simply this: I love it, even more than Looney Tunes! It's very rare to find cartoons that are halfway decent these days, and this (along with the other four "Cartoon Cartoons") is one of those cartoons you have to catch (in full) before it becomes a vague memory.

Very Strange, Even for Looney Tunes (Spoiler Probably There), 12 April 2002

I've seen a lot of weird cartoons in my time. Most of them were the un-PC ones that TV is afraid to air; others were super-rare pieces of work that not even real cartoon fans would known had existed. This one I can't even explain. I'm guessing this cartoon was probably the predecessor to the Pepe Le Pew cartoons since it was made a year before, but even the PLP cartoons had some limits to it. And the less said about the ending, the better.

What I don't understand is why it hardly aired when I was younger. There's no racial stereotyping and the only WWII reference is one about meat shortages (no Hitler refs, no Japanese-bashing, you get the idea).

However, Cartoon Network does have a late-night show called, "The ACME Hour" that shows really rare cartoons and it does run through there.

A Keeper That Died In Its Prime, 12 April 2002

Like "Ren and Stimpy", this cartoon was a throwback to the days when cartoons were in the theaters and appealed to older audiences. The twisted humor this series had was really something else. Of course, like all cartoons trying to tap into the warped humor of the theatrical cartoon, this one was put into a time slot where no one would watch it and was subsequently cancelled in favor of cartoon shows that were nothing more than thirty-minute commercials for a stupid fad.

I really loved this series. Why did it have to die?!

Chuck Jones's Sadomasochistic Side (or You Can't Do That On Cartoons), 5 April 2002

Before I start this review, I would like to point out two things:

1) There are/could be spoilers in this review.

2) This review is dedicated to the men behind Pepe Le Pew, Michael Maltese (who created Pepe's fractured French and died in 1981), Mel Blanc (who lent a very realistic Charles Boyer impression to Pepe and died in 1989), and the last of the great WB animators, Chuck Jones (who created the character and died this year). May God rest both of your souls, you oh-so-talented men. Okay, on to the review...

To the eye of someone who still thinks that Looney Tunes are children's fare, this cartoon is nothing more than your typical Pepe cartoon (cat gets painted, Pepe mistakes the cat for a skunk, Pepe seduces cat, cat runs off, hilarity ensues until the end). To the eye of someone who knows that Looney Tunes cartoons are not kid-friendly, this cartoon has a twist from the usual Pepe routine. Instead of the cat running off, the cat (here shown as a wildcat from a French zoo) claws Pepe half to death whenever he's near her.

This unabashed cartoon made my side hurt the first time I watched it (and proved that Looney Tunes is not for children). I was never this overcome with laughter since "Cow and Chicken" (and believe me, their innuendo could make a Le Pew cartoon AND a Simpsons episode blush). Cartoon Network does air this somewhat frequently. GRADE: A+

Not As Good As The Rest (Possible Spoiler), 5 April 2002

This cartoon is probably the only Pepe Le Pew cartoon that I try to avoid watching. To me, it didn't seem to have the same delicious sexual innuendo and colorful scenery that made the cartoons stand out (and draw people away from the fact that Jones used the same love chase gag for each cartoon short). It did have one good risque scene: the one where the painted cat is up in the air and is headed towards Pepe. Pepe backs up and pretends to catch her like a baseball until the cat falls into his arms, having her lips pressed against his. Pepe sees this and asides to the audience, "How impetuous can you get?" That was the only good laugh I got from this lackluster end of an otherwise verbally humorous series.

Dog Gone It!, 5 April 2002

I remember back when Nickelodeon wasn't chock-filled with the min-numbing drivel they have on now and they showed syndicated cartoon shows, preferably Looney Tunes on Nickelodeon (which IMO overdid it on Speedy Gonzales cartoons, old Porky Pig cartoons, those really rare Bosko cartoons, and a bad habit of showing redrawn versions of old cartoons instead of their original print). One of the cartoons just happened to be "Dog Gone South". This is a great piece of work and a refreshing break from being paired up with Porky Pig. Instead, Charlie Dog is shown harassing Colonel Shuffle from "Mississippi Hare".

Unfortunately both this and "Mississippi Hare" were last seen on Nick and are now banned because of the Southern stereotyping. Sigh! When will the censorship learn...

Atypical Pepe Cartoon (Maybe a Spoiler), 5 April 2002

Here's some trivia: Of the 17 Pepe Le Pew cartoons done by Warner Brothers, only 14 were directed by Chuck Jones. One Pepe appearance was a cameo in a Freleng cartoon, another Pepe cartoon was directed by one of Jones's animators, Abe Levitow, and Arthur Davis directed this one that seemed to have stripped Pepe of his legendary libido and make him more of a comedy actor, which is very much out of character for him. I really don't know what to make of this. I only recommend this if you don't like the monotony of Jones' Pepe Le Pew cartoons.

"Doug" (1991)
Someday, Man Will Invent A Cartoon With A Plot, 29 March 2002

Is this what passes for decent children's entertainment these days?! In my day, I watched cartoons like Looney Tunes, Popeye, Tom and Jerry, and other cartoons that used to be theatrical fillers shown before the feature presentation. Of course, most were edited for content and some never made it to the syndication circulation because of the crybabies out there who have every right to complain, but can't grasp the simple concept of NOT WATCHING the offending program, but that's besides the point.

My point is that it's cartoons like this that's giving American animation a bad name (a REALLY bad name). The basic plot of any Doug episode is thus:

1) Doug talks to the audience through his "journal" or a voice-over.

2) Some "earth-shattering" dilemma arises (most of which involve Doug's object of desire, Patty Mayonnaise)

3) Doug whines at the problem to everyone he meets (his parents, his dog, his blue friend, Skeeter, etc).

4) Roger Klotz pokes fun at Doug's problem (IMO the only funny segment in this overall snore-fest)

5) Doug gets in trouble with authority.

6) Some freak accident occurs and all of Doug's problems are resolved.

I would give this cartoon an F, but the Roger Klotz segment is too funny and I also like Doug's neighbor Mr. Dink, so in my book, it gets a D+.

Blitz Wolf (1942)
Hidden Treasure (A Couple of Spoilers), 23 March 2002

Among the many rarely-seen cartoons buried deep in the film vaults because of their depictions of racial stereotyping, risque content, animal abuse, and WWII propaganda, "Blitz Wolf" stands out as one cartoon that should at least air late at night when the kids are asleep and the adult cartoon fans can watch (or tape) it. With its adult-oriented gags and the Wolf as the most heartless, murderous dictator ever to come out of the 1940's (you know who I'm talking about), is it any wonder that it's rotting away in a film vault instead of being shown for historical content? Oh, well...