Sanpaco13

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Audience ruins everything, 30 June 2013

I totally agree that the hysterical audience in this ruins everything. Dane makes some entertaining jokes but that fact that after every stupid thing he says there's 30 seconds of hysterical screaming and cheering... no. This isn't a rock concert its a stand-up show. No stand-up comedy is that good. Stupid. Even Dane has to stop himself in the middle of some of his jokes and wait for the audience to shut up so he can finish. To be fair though... the audience is behaving exactly how an audience at Madison Square Garden should behave. Who does a stand-up comedy show at Madison Square Garden? Answer: douchebags like Dane Cook who think they are rockstars.

"Jericho" (2006)
The worst of times bring out the best in people, 30 June 2013

I really enjoyed this show. It seems like the writers really did a good job of researching what it would be like if the US got hit with nuclear bombs and society broke down. I love the drama that comes out of the situation but I also love the fact that, unlike most shows, the good guys always come out ahead in this movie. Every other show there's some bad guy that gets away with everything and that never gets caught or whatever, but in this show, there is a pretty solid line between the good guys and the bad guys and most of the "situations" are resolved relatively quickly instead of drawing them out for an entire season. For example, in the first couple of episodes with the escape prisoners... I just knew that this was gonna be a thing now in the first season. They'd be out constantly trying to find the prisoners and the prisoners were gonna keep the girl captive for a long time and every scene was gonna be her trying to escape and getting caught again, etc for like 15 episodes until she finally gets rescued. But nope. Jake shows up and shoots them in the face and the story ends there. Thank you so much for killing an uninteresting plot before it got annoying.

Anyway, not everything is always hunky dory in the show either though. Good people die including many main characters. But their stories are so interesting that you live with them. The town goes from regular American town to civil war skirmishes in just 20 episodes. Brilliant! I've heard rumors that Netflix is going to pick the show up for continuation. I only hope it sticks to its original atmosphere.

A Feelgood Thriller...?, 27 September 2012

I first saw this on a bus in Mexico and it left an impression on me. I later forgot about it and just recently saw it on Netflix and rewatched it. I really enjoyed this movie for a couple reasons. I like the element of two people making really stupid decisions and letting their emotions control them and showing how that kind of thing can lead to things getting way out of hand really fast. In one day, two men effectively destroy each others lives because of an initial bad encounter that neither men are willing to move on from. I love the scene later with William Hurt as he shouts at Jackson's character telling him he's addicted to chaos. He should be given credit for the fact that after a cool down period he was about to give the file back, but had he been willing to fix things earlier, the whole mess could have been avoided. As I see it, both men are to blame in the end. That is why I love the ending of this movie. Both characters repent of their mistakes, are willing to accept the consequences, and things for the most part end up fixed and each side is better off.

Confessions of a 30 year old Mormon dude..., 24 September 2012

As a Mormon guy, like many mormon guys, I went on a mission when I was 19 and I served my two years in Oaxaca, Mexico from 2001 - 2003. As such, I was in Mexico when this telenovela aired on Mexican television. Now in Mexico, maybe its the same in all of Latin America, but they would run telenovelas for 6 months, one episode a day during the week, and that was the entire show. Not like America where you had 13-20ish episode during fall and winter months and that is a season. Also important to know, is that many Mormon families offer to cook meals for missionaries and we had one sister who cooked for us everyday and we would pay her for the meals. As it happened, we would be there everyday to eat right as this telenovela would come on and I also arrived in the area right when the show started AND I was in the area almost exactly 6 months before finishing my mission and coming home to the states. As such, I became absolutely obsessed with this show. The twists and turns and people going from good to bad and bad to good and the forbidden romance between Valentina and Urestes and Norkys Bataista's rocking hot body and so many other things kept me absolutely addicted to this show. There were days that I missed an episode due to traveling on mission duties and the like, but I did my best to always be at that sister's house everyday right at 2pm and we always stayed for an hour. And on Monday's, our preparation day when we didn't work or eat with the sister, I would find a restaurant that was playing the show and sit and watch as much as I could. If I missed anything, the good sister would always fill me in. I went through I think 5 companions in that area and each one of them told me to keep them updated on the plot after they left. Unfortunately however, I ended up coming home about 4 weeks before the end of the show and I never saw the ending. Actually I did catch the final scenes of the last episode years later on YouTube, but there is currently a big fat "gorda" hole in my heart where Valentina and her friends belong and it has been vacant now for almost 10 years.

So much better than the book, 26 March 2012

This movie stays very close to the book's sequence of events and I enjoyed it much more than reading the book. The problem I had throughout the books was the abundance of insights into the illogical hormonal thoughts of a self-pitying teenage girl. The movie didn't have any of that. Much better :)

On top of the story, the performances were incredible. It is interesting to see so many supporting characters played by big actors (Woody Harrelson, Donald Sutherland, Stanley Tucci, etc.) while the main characters are played by lesser known actors. I thought all the actors played very well to their characters.

Chronicle (2012)
Interesting take on "super powers", 26 March 2012

From a certain perspective, this is just another super hero movie where the hero and the villain start as friends and become enemies. For me this had a lot more levels than that. I enjoyed the first person mode of filming because it made the characters seems more real to me rather than being actors. It helped me to really identify with each of them instead of classifying any of them as either good or bad. Andrew and Matt's relationship is a truly interesting one where Andrew is truly the more likable of the two, but as they begin to progress more and react to the power they get from their new abilities, Matt is the one who is more level headed and Andrew begins to go off the deep end. I think for me what really made this film entertaining was the lack of superhero tights or nicknames or even alter-egos. Just a bunch of misfit teenagers who end up losing control of themselves.

The Grey (2011)
Horrible ending, 26 March 2012

This movie was misrepresented first of all. I saw reviews comparing it to Rambo and other such great outdoor survival action movies. This movie is a little more like "The Road" in its storytelling. Very drawn out, not a lot of real good action other than people getting eaten by wolves one by one or dying in other ways. The movie definitely elicited a huge emotional response from me and I thought the ultimate message was a stirring one, to never give up even in the face of unquestionable failure. My main problem was that I was led to expect something that the movie was not and this by the people who were supposed to advertise the movie to me. Had I entered the movie expecting a tragic ending then I might have not minded it as much. Basically I'm led to believe that the main character (Neeson) at some point is going to start kicking some serious wolf butt and escape and survive. Instead, one by one each character dies and Neeson walks right into the wolf den and gets killed. I'd say this show is more like "Deliverance" meets "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas". Survival show with a pointlessly tragic ending.

Mixed feelings, 26 March 2012

This show started out decent enough, but it really needed to be done as a mini-series with maybe 6 episodes tops. There were a few beginning episodes to set up the story and the final few episodes tied things off pretty well although they follow the typical Stephen King cliché of having some kind of "ka-tet" of characters who are meant to come together to save someone in a portal of space-time and dimensional traveling. All the rest in the middle is just filler and at times it seemed like the same scenes were being shown. Like the headless corpse running around constantly or the anteater showing up and rambling off some gibberish that is supposed to be all profound and wise. Enough already!

Exhausting, 26 March 2012

I remember when this show came out I saw an ad claiming that it was 24 meets LOST. They were obviously trying to capitalize on all the fans of those two shows who suddenly found themselves without a favorite show on TV. Unfortunately, as it turned out this show was exactly that, however it was the worst of 24 and LOST. The never-ending cliff hangers and plot twists that left you beating your head against the wall. At first it was exciting until you realized that they didn't ever plan on addressing any of the mysteries directly. They were just going to give a couple episodes at a time and then go into another month or two long hiatus in which you are wondering why they just killed half of the main characters on a bus. I stuck with it as long as I could, but at the end, watching the show was just torture for me. There were some promising moments and the show even had a promising premise, but the writing never capitalized on them. Instead we were teased to the point of anger and hostility and finally abandonment.

"Scrubs" (2001)
Scrubs, the philosophical comedy, 20 January 2012

About 4 or 5 months ago I watched this show straight through for the first time ever (excluding season 9 which I'm still debating if I should watch or not). I'd seen random episodes here and there throughout the years but I never really got the humor much. But there were enough small clips that I found funny that I decided to give the whole show a shot.

I immediately become hooked. To me Scrubs was like a lighthearted example of what life has been like for me over the past ten years. There are real life situations and drama, but it is all presented with an air of humor and joviality which seemed to remind me that similar situations in my own life were not worth getting so distraught over.

I fell in love with the characters because of their many flaws which I could relate to. Along with humor, the show is also very philosophical about life and mortality (naturally being set in an ICU) and I really enjoyed becoming involved in some of the patients' stories. We learned something different from all of them and we felt the same bittersweet feeling when they inevitably passed on. I will forever be a fan of Colin Hays because of this show as well, especially his songs "Overkill" and "Any Minute Now".

Finally, the final scene of season 8 ultimately sums up the show for me. As JD leaves thinking no one cared about his last day, he is overwhelmed by the memories of all the people who touched his life while he was there. We see many of his dead patients and other guest actors who have come and gone from the show telling him goodbye. And finally he steps outside and sees a flash forward of his future as he gets married and raises a family. It is such a great metaphor for what it feels like to move from one stage of life to another and ultimately how it must feel to pass from this life to the next. It hurts to leave but we ultimately take our experiences with us on to a bright future full of possibilities. That is how I will always remember this show ending.

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]