gangstahippie

Page 1 of 66:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Slap Shot (1977)
One of my favourite sports comedies - a classic, 20 August 2015

Hockey is my favourite sport to watch, pretty much the only sport i really watch and am into. I love reading and watching movies about it.Slap Shot is the classic hockey comedy. Directed by George Roy Hill and starring Paul Newman, the film follows a minor league hockey team known as the Charlestown Chiefs who after hearing they will be folded by the end of the season decide to play more violently/dirty in order to attract more popularity.The film has some very funny moments, great performances and is a must-watch if you're a fan of ice hockey or even a fan of sports films in general.This film, Goon and Puck Hogs are the only R-rated comedies about ice hockey I can think of.The sequel to this film is nowhere near as good and I haven't even bothered watching the third film as its Rated PG and seems to be more like mighty ducks, even though I do love the Hanson Brothers.

The Greatest Biographical Film of a Rap/Hip-Hop Artist or Group, 20 August 2015

I credit NWA with introducing me to hip-hop back in seventh grade.Prior to this, I wasn't a huge fan of the genre (except for maybe some Eminem) mainly because I only heard the rap/hip-hop music played on the radio or music video shows, which by the 2000's seemed to decline in quality.I then saw the music video for the song "Straight Outta Compton" on TV one day and immediately I got into NWA which started me on a path to discover classic rap and hip-hop.So of course when I heard that there would be a biopic of N.W.A, I had to see it.

Overall, I was very impressed with the film. The runtime is 2hrs 27min but it felt much shorter than that. The film does a good job of detailing the beginnings of NWA, how a group of young men from Compton, Ice Cube, MC REN, Eazy-E, DJ Yella and Dr.Dre wanted to make music that would make people aware of the dangers of living in Compton and other ghettos, despite the fact that due to the use of gratuitous foul language and depictions of sex, drugs and violence in their music were thought to glamorize the "gangsta" lifestyle.The film shows the controversy which surrounded the group, the police brutality they and many people living in Compton faced on a day to day basis as well as personal issues regarding whether or not their manager Jerry Heller along with Eazy-E were skimming money from the rest of the group which eventually led to Ice Cube and later Dr. Dre's departure. The film also depicts the gangsta rap scene of the late 80's-mid 90's and other issues such as the L.A Riots.The performances in the film from a cast of mostly unknown actors are also very good.

The only issues I had with the film are that I would have liked to see at least some of the Eazy-E/Dr.Dre feud as well as more of MC Ren, who even took to twitter to complain about his reduced portrayal in the film.If you are a fan of NWA or rap/hip-hop in general, then you owe it to yourself to see this film. Even if you are not a fan of this genre of music but enjoy music biopics in general, you would likely still enjoy this film.

Interesting episode with some good twists!, 9 June 2011

A Japanese sushi restaurant is built in South Park.This causes problems with the Chinese owner of the "city wok" restaurants.He constantly tries to get rid of the Japanese restaurant owner.During one of the incidents, Butters is blamed so his parents put him through therapy.The doctor diagnoses him with multiple personality disorder.However, the doctor is actually the one with the disorder.Butters tries to help the doctor out while fearing for his other "angrier" personalities.This episode is fairly entertaining, has funny moments and the twist is very good.There are references to a few horror films such as Hitchcock's "Psycho".While watching the episode, I was reminded of the film "Raising Cain" with John Lithgow.Both films feature multiple personality disorder.Overall, a good episode.

Funny at times, quite depressing at times. The ending is quite shocking and depressing but it is an excellent mid-season finale!, 9 June 2011

After Stan's 10th birthday, he begins to think everything he used to like sucks now(or has become s**t if you will).The music he used to like now sounds bad, along with other things such as movies and video games.He goes to a doctor who says he has "cynicism".This causes him to begin alienating himself from his friends.Meanwhile, the parents of South Park will not let their children listen to the new tween genre of music as they believe it sounds like crap. Randy will not admit he thinks it sounds like crap in order not to feel old. He begins to really embrace the music and begins playing it, which starts to anger Sharon. The ending of the episode is quite shocking and depressing for a show such as South Park.It leaves viewers wondering if there is a connection between the ending of the show and the current state of South Park, as well as Trey Parker and Matt Stone's relationship.It will be very interesting to see what is in store for the rest of the season.Overall, this episode was excellent because it's mix of comedy and drama and the shockingly depressing ending.

South Park vs The Food Network, 20 November 2010

Randy has a new obsession.The Food Network, a channel which is basically 24 hours of cooking shows.Due to this, Randy starts trying to cook his own gourmet foods.So he gets a job at the school cafeteria much to Stan's anger.They attempt to get rid of him when Bobby Flay and other celebrities from the food network come and challenge Randy to a "throwdown" cook-off.Meanwhile Sharon who thinks Randy does not find her attractive anymore, starts working out and buys the "Shake-weight", a weight tool for women which resembles giving a handjob.Along with a robotic voice which gives compliments and asks her how she's feeling. A cooling gel is then released and the weight gives cab fare.The episode has some very funny moments such as when Cartman impersonates Gordon Ramsey.I think this episode was another good lighthearted way to end the season after the epic three-part Coon episodes.This mirrors the first half of the season where it ended with "Crippled Summer", a very lighthearted and fun episode in contrast to the episodes "200" and "201".Overall, this season has been fairly good for the most part and hopefully Season 15 will be great as well!

Good conclusion(minor spoilers if you have not seen the previous episodes), 11 November 2010

The story continues with the "Coon and Friends" trying to battle the Coon(Cartman) and Chutulu and try to save the world.Cartman and Chutulu go around destroying synagogues and things hippies enjoy such as "burning man" and organic foods.Chutulu ends up sending the "coon and friends" group into a "dark oblivion" where they struggle to get out.Meanwhile, Mysterion(Kenny) is trying to figure out why he cannot die and we find out some interesting facts about "mintberry crunch".The episode concludes the special three part storyline of this season.It is a fairly good episode with some funny and entertaining moments.There seems to be only one more episode left of the season.I wonder how it will end.

Mysterion Rises: An improvement over Coon 2 Hindsight and a great episode!, 4 November 2010

Continuing from last week's episode, a team of superheroes called Coon & friends(despite the coon not being with them anymore) tries to sell lemon bars to stop Chulutu.Meanwhile, Cartman as the coon, travels to New Orleans and tries to befriend Chulutu to make him kill the coon & friends.The episode has many interesting aspects.We finally find out the true identity of mysterion and mosquito.We also find out the truth behind how Kenny comes back to life after dying all the time.This episode is definitely an improvement over the previous one and has some excellent moments! Hopefully the conclusion will be just as good if not better!

Coon 2, not as strong as "Jersey Thing", "Insheeption" or even the original "Coon" episode, but still pretty good, 28 October 2010

Cartman returns as the vigilante hero "the Coon". This time he has a team of superheroes who are together known as "coon and friends".At the scene of a fire, they meet a superhero named "captain hindsight". His superpower is to tell people what they should have done to prevent the tragedy. Coon wants Captain Hindsight to join their group.After he refuses, he tries to blackmail hindsight by photoshopping him drunk and naked with Courtney love(actually Butters in a dress).The rest of the group have other plans to protect the world.Meanwhile, BP causes another oil spill and opens a gateway to another dimension and releasing demons(basically causing more problems by trying to fix them).While the episode is not as strong as the previous episodes "It's A Jersey Thing", "Insheeption" or even the original "Coon" episode, Coon 2 is a fairly decent episode with some funny and memorable moments..The "clockwork orange" reference was very interesting as well!

Excellent episode, 28 October 2010

Stan may have a hoarding problem.His locker is completely messy and he does not want to throw anything away.His girlfriend Wendy is worried about him.He visits Mr Mackey, the school counselor who also seems to have a hoarding problem.A doctor then decides to find the root of Stan and Mackey's hoarding problem by looking through Mackey's subconscious.However, Stan gets trapped in Mackey's subconscious and the doctors call the dream infiltrators(like the ones from Inception) to rescue them.Meanwhile, Mackey's subconscious dream is him as a child in 1974. The younger version of Mackey and Stan are trying to find the root of Mackey's hoarding problem.The episode spoofs the reality TV series "Hoarders"(which I have not seen), and the movie "Inception"(which I thought was fairly good albeit a tad overrated).The episode has some very hilarious moments as well as a scene where something happens to Mackey which may be seen as depressing or messed up.Overall, this is an excellent episode.

It's a Jersey Thing(some spoilers), 14 October 2010

People from Jersey are moving into South Park. These people are very loud,obnoxious, annoying and stupid.So now, the people of South Park must find a way to get rid of them, or else South Park will become "West Jersey". Meanwhile, we find out that Kyle's mother is originally from Jersey, so therefore Kyle has a small amount of Jersey in him.The episode mostly mocks the reality series "Jersey Shore".I have seen only one episode of the series, as I am not a fan of reality-TV.Like shows such as Jerry Springer, it is stupid yet at the same time oddly intriguing and humorous. Of course the show is nowhere near as good as Springer is.The episode also features the characters "Snooki", who is portrayed as a gollum-like monster, and the "situation" who gets beaten by Randy during an interrogation. Overall, the episode is fairly good, a bit better than "Poor and Stupid".Also, it was fairly interesting to see a different side of Kyle's mom.We usually know her as the angry, concerned parent who hates foul language and toilet humor, yet here we see her acting as loud and foul-mouthed woman from Jersey.

Page 1 of 66:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]