starri1

Prayers for Bobby (2009) (TV)
I know now why God didn't heal Bobby. He didn't heal him because there was NOTHING WRONG WITH HIM., 3 January 2011

If this movie had been made by a less experienced hand than Signourney Weaver, it would never have been nearly good.

All the supporting performances (including a sweet cameo of the real Mary Griffin, and ESPECIALLY the openly gay Dan Butler as the MCC pastor) were strong as well, but this story was Mary's story, and I just don't think they could have found a better actress to play her.

Maybe I'm just too soft, but watching Weaver in the scene where she pours her heart out the pastor gets me every single time. I am not a woman, and I have no children of my own, but I can't imagine seeing another human being in as much pain as Weaver brought to the scene when she realizes that Bobby's suicide was in part her fault. There's something wrong about the notion that a parent should have to bury his/her own child, but I can't imagine anguish in another human being.

I wonder if the scene were Mary address the Walnut Creek City Council was perhaps a big of an indulgence, but Weaver did it so well, I couldn't complain. This should be required viewing at church groups and gay teen suicide lines.

Godspeed, Mrs. Griffin.

Low-budget, but it works, 29 April 2010

I was surprised by film. Generally, I only see gay low-budget indie film as show of solidarity for the rest of the community. Often, I'll have to turn it off after ten or fifteen minutes. This was clearly not "Citizen Kane," but it wasn't half-bad either.

The performances were kind of a mixed bag. There were a few that I felt were pretty strong, and a few that were weak. At least two of the actors started in one category and ended in the other. Some of the scenes with the actors paired off worked really well, and were probably the main reason the film works.

The technical detail of the film are generally great. Even though clearly shot on DV, it avoids looking washed-out at all times. The camera is fairly locked down, but that's appropriate, given the material.

The biggest flaw, as has been mentioned, is the script. There are far too many instances where a line or exchange just lands with a THUD, and the scenes that work are despite the material, not because of it.

Still, it's better than a lot of low-budget gay cinema.