tavm

Page 1 of 403:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The Foreigner is highly recommended for fans of Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnon if they wanted to see them in something different, 18 October 2017

Just watched this with my movie theatre-working friend and his nephew. It begins when Jackie Chan takes his daughter to a dress shop to get something for her prom. Pierce Brosnon also figures into the story in a role much different from many of his other ones especially his most famous one as James Bond. I'll stop there and just say there's much compelling drama and a few good action scenes for Chan fans. So on that note, we three highly recommend The Foreigner!

Battle of the Sexes is an entertaining movie about the legendary tennis match between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs, 11 October 2017

This was a fascinating docudrama about the match between Bobby Riggs-the middle-aged admitted male chauvinist-and Billie Jean King-the phenomenal female tennis champ. We see each of their lives before the match and marvel at the period of the times and how certain social situations were handled at the time and what changes were happening during it. Emma Stone and Steve Carell embody their roles to the hilt. Also fascinating hearing Howard Cosell's commentary throughout the actual action when he originally did it on ABC during that time. I saw this with my movie theatre-working friend and we both highly recommend it!

I didn't have to watch the one before Kingsman: The Golden Circle to get a big enjoyment out of it!, 4 October 2017

I watched this movie with my cinema-employed friend having not seen the previous ep made before this one. It didn't matter as some of it was explained as the picture went on and much of the action set pieces were entertaining enough for me to not care too much if I occasionally got confused. Oh, and there's a famous Music Star who appears throughout much of it to make it even more enjoyable especially as I know it's my friend's favorite singer. So that's my recommendation of Kingsman: The Golden Circle.

It (2017/I)
This movie version of Stephen King's It really delivers the scares!, 13 September 2017

Well, just watched this with my movie theatre-working friend and I'll just now say: This is quite intense! Stephen King sure can pull the scares, right? The guy who played Pennywise the Clown is such a creepy presence throughout the movie. The loser kids who bond over this really did their parts well, didn't they? I especially like the one girl in the group, Beverly. All I'll say now is I and my friend highly recommend It!

Logan Lucky is quite a leisurely dramady about some low income people trying to pull a heist, 28 August 2017

This is another film directed by Steven Soderbergh who grew up in the same place I did, Baton Rouge, LA. That probably explains the LSU (not to mention the university's colors of purple and gold) reference at the beginning. Anyway, the lead character played by Channing Tatum gets fired from his construction job after his pre-existing condition is discovered while he also has to deal with his relationship with his ex-wife, his pre-teen daughter, and his one-armed (excuse me, one hand) brother (Adam Driver). So he resolves to pull a heist with the help of someone he knows from a prison cell played convincingly in a Southern accent by Daniel Craig. I'll just now say this isn't a bang-up action film, just a leisurely stroll through the lives of these lower-income people just trying to muddle through life. So that's a recommendation for Logan Lucky.

I watched this ep of "The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour" in his memory, 8 August 2017

When I found out Glen Campbell died this morning, I went to YouTube to see if any complete eps of his variety show was available for viewing. The guest list of this one made me very interested to watch. John Wayne, Glen's co-star from True Grit, does some comedy with other guest Tim Conway. Conway imitates him, does a silly parody of Evel Knievel, and plays a member of tap dancer anonymous which was the funniest of his bits. There's a silly short film spoofing western serials. Three Dog Night perform "Just an Old-Fashioned Love Song" (The YT upload varied the volume on that number to avoid copyright infringement since they mimed their recording) and "Joy to the World" with Glen. Glen himself performed "Home Again", "Sooner or Later", and "He Ain't Heavy, He's my Brother" by himself. He also performs "Close to You" to Carol Burnett in a surprise appearance and "Take Me Home, Country Roads" with Jerry Reed who himself performs "Ko-Ko Joe". Also, Duke and Glen on horses intro a film of them visiting Wayne's theatre which displays costumes of his most famous roles. Oh, and one more musical guest is The Mike Curb Congregation whose members are mixed race kids and young adults. The perform "Put Your Hand in the Hand" and "Sing". Overall, this was quite an enjoyable time capsule of a show. R.I.P. Mr. Campbell

Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films is quite a ride watching this doc on a studio that defines '80s excess, 7 August 2017

I just finished watching this documentary about Cannon Films on YouTube. It touches on the company's beginnings in the late '60s when it was run by one of its co-founders, Christopher Dewey who consented to be interviewed for this doc as did John G. Alvidsen who directed one of the company's first notable films-Joe about a bigot's teaming with an upper crust man in looking for the latter's daughter. I reviewed that on this site so look for my review under that title if you're interested. Then it jumps to when a couple of Israeli cousins-Yoram Globus and Menahem Golan-bought the studio for their own productions. They revitalized Charles Bronson's career when he made various Death Wish sequels and made Chuck Norris a major star with his actioners. They also made Breakin'-the quickie attempt to beat Orion Pictures' Beat Street in showcasing break dancing on film. They seemed to do pretty well for themselves but then they overextended their credit to the point to when they made Superman IV and Masters of the Universe, they went into bankruptcy which then led to their split. Various talking heads mention how things went so wrong while also telling how much charisma they had when making deals. In summary, Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films is quite a ride in telling the story of how a studio went so out of control before anyone knew what hit them! So that's a recommendation. P.S. I remember as a teen watching two of the studio's films: Treasure of the Four Crowns-a 3-D ripoff of Raiders of the Lost Ark which had some entertainingly scary zoom scenes of things coming at you but not much plot or good acting. And The Last American Virgin which me and my brother watched on HBO and liked many of the nude scenes and raunchy jokes...but was shocked at the unhappy ending that came!

Dunkirk (2017)
Dunkirk managed to keep me up during its runtime but not enough for me to completely understand it, 2 August 2017

After seeing this on IMAX with my movie-theatre working friend and reading many comments on Facebook of which many of them expressed confusion of what was going on in the movie, I have to admit I had the same feeling while watching it with my just-mentioned friend. I also fell asleep at parts of the film though the loud sound effects kept me from staying asleep during most of it. In summary, there were some exciting scenes but I didn't get the characterizations that were depicted as clearly as I would have liked. So that's a partial recommendation for Dunkirk.

Spider-Man: Homecoming is another worthy entry in yet another reboot of the movie series, 12 July 2017

With this entry, Spider-Man is once again rebooted. No origin story this time which is as well since anyone knows how he came to be if they read the comics or at least Wikipedia. Tom Holland is suitably youngish being the high school student Peter Parker originally was and remained for a while during his creation. Nice splashes of humor throughout during even some of the more serious scenes. Awesome seeing Michael Keaton-former Batman portrayer-playing a main villain this time in a superhero movie. Oh, and yes, Stan Lee makes another of his cameos in a MCU movie! Also, there's a scene after the main closing credits and another one after the final end of them. In summary, Spider-Man: Homecoming is worth it to watch for die-hard fans!

The House I Live In starring Frank Sinatra is still a worthy short in these times, 4 July 2017

With all that's been happening since a new president was elected and inaugurated, I had to think "Do I live in the same country as the ones who voted for the opponent of my pick?" Still, I'd like to think that we will prevail and start getting along much better eventually despite many disagreements we have about certain things. This short, starring popular singer Frank Sinatra when he was still quite young, has him at the recording studio doing one of his trademark romantic songs before taking a break outside and encountering some kids bullying a particular one because of his religion. So that leads The Voice to lecture them on the dangers of prejudice though he also does mention a story of various creeds defeating the "Japs" (This was filmed either during or not long after World War II). But his message of Tolerance is something still worth talking about and his song "The House I Live In" is certainly still something worth warbling about especially today. With today being the Fourth of July, I just felt like revisiting this particular short to remind myself what America really is about when Frank sings of it: "The right to speak my mind out, that's America to me." Something still worth pondering about in this age of increasing divided opinions among neighbors...

Page 1 of 403:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]