Page 1 of 393:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Kevin Hart: What Now? was a mostly funny enough concert film, 20 October 2016

Watched this with my movie theatre-working friend and his nephew who managed to telegraph many of the jokes Kevin Hart was telling at the concert depicted in this film beforehand. There was also a prologue and epilogue concerning Hart's James Bond-like adventure with Halle Berry that was amusing in spots if not hilarious. His concert was mostly stream-of-consciousness about his family, his girlfriend, and his old friends. Many of it was pretty raunchy with some good laughs scattered throughout. The concert was filmed in Philadelphia in front of a huge crowd at a football stadium. That crowd is seen at various points laughing it up at Hart's material. Overall, Kevin Hart: What Now? was mostly a good time for me and my friends.

Sully (2016)
Sully was a fine drama about a good man who happened to be a hero, whether he likes it or not, 13 October 2016

I finally watched this after several weeks of it playing with my movie theatre-working friend yesterday. He had watched this before but was willing to watch with me as I hadn't. It was quite a touching true story of Captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger, played here by Tom Hanks. The drama took its time in telling how the plane ended up where it ended up and why he was being investigated despite being called a hero because none of the passengers suffered badly during the crisis. Clint Eastwood did a good directing job, as usual. Going back and forth during some sequences, I managed to not be confused at all while watching which is a good sign of a fine drama based on something that actually happened. So on that note, I highly recommend Sully.

The Clown's Pups was another of the early Koko the Clown's shorts from Max Fleischer, 14 September 2016

This was another early Koko the Clown cartoon/live-action short from Max Fleischer. Running about two minutes, Max draws the Clown who says some things that seemed to insult Max a little so he takes some of his clothing off before the Clown half-heartily apologizes. Then the Clown draws a dog before Max draws another one before they both bite on Koko's leg on each side. Koko then asks where's the inkwell before diving back in with both dogs still biting him! The end. This was quite amusing for a short film. All I just described is all that happened so there isn't much more to review. It should be noted that Max's brother Dave was the model for Koko. Anyway, this was indeed early in the series run for Koko so on that note, The Clown's Pups was worth a look for any vintage animation buffs out there.

You Gotta Be a Football Hero marked the last Popeye cartoon to be voiced by originator William Costello, 14 September 2016

While this is a perfect cartoon to watch during this fall/football season, the reason I watched this one in particular right now is because this was the last one with original Popeye voice William Costello doing him. It seems he had a swelled head and was fired by Max Fleischer as a result. Jack Mercer-who was part of the studio staff at the time and did impersonations of Costello as the cartoon character to many of his colleagues' pleasure-replaced him and continued doing the voice for the rest of his lifetime. Anyway, Bluto is the football hero Olive Oyl loves which gets Popeye jealous so he joins the other team. I'll stop there and just say this was quite a funny cartoon to watch with many of the gags one associates with the Fleischer brothers (as usual, Dave Fleischer is credited as director but since he's always printed as such with each cartoon from the studio, that's a bit doubtful). Anyway, that's a recommendation for You Gotta Be a Football Hero.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is the filmed version of Roald Dahl's book I happen to prefer of the two versions, 12 September 2016

In tribute to Gene Wilder's passing, the theatre my friend works at showed two of his films-Blazing Saddles and this one. I didn't know about the former until we just watched the other one-my first time seeing it on the big screen while it was his second. It's just as funny and partly scary as I'd remembered it watching as a pre-teen on TV during the mid-'70s. Wilder himself was funny, a little scary, and warm enough that you couldn't help but love him despite all he was subjecting his visitors through at Wonka's candy factory. Of the child players, Julie Dawn Cole was the funniest as the bratty Veruca Salt especially when she was the only one to have a solo musical number just before her fate. No wonder she was the only one of them to continue acting as she grew up. And seeing this in the theatre, I finally watched the "Cheer Up, Charlie" number in its entirety after some of my siblings fast-forwarded through it when watching it on VHS tape. It's not a bad number but it did slow the film down somewhat. Still, despite that, I wouldn't change a thing as I definitely prefer this version to the later Tim Burton-Johnny Depp one from several years back. Then again, maybe the fact this was the version I grew up with that makes me like this one more...

Oskar Fischinger's An Optical Poem is a fascinating curio even now, 12 September 2016

After years of favoriting this on YouTube, I finally watched this M-G-M/Oskar Fischinger colored paper-animated short there. Done to the music of Franz Liszt's "Second Hungarian Rhapsody" (the same music Bugs Bunny would play in Rhapsody Rabbit), we see lots of circles, rectangles, and other shapes in space moving and appearing/disappearing to that music. Quite fascinating to watch and maybe it may have been the inspiration for Walt Disney's later feature length Fantasia a few years later. This seemed to be Fischinger's only film work for a major studio. It certainly seemed possibly too avant garde for the tastes of the public of the time! How many even know about this one? Anyway, that's a recommendation for An Optical Poem.

"E! True Hollywood Story: Billy Jack" was a fascinating take on the life and career of Tom Laughlin, 9 September 2016

Just watched this on YouTube after seeing Billy Jack on GetTV. It tells of Tom Laughlin's life before and after his hit status with that movie: His marriage to co-star Dolores Taylor, his struggles with Hollywood before and after his breakthrough, his offspring (two of whom, T.C. Laughlin and Chris Laughlin are interviewed), and his later runs for president. It has scenes from all four of the Billy Jack movies and interviews with Sam Arkoff-who released the first of them: The Born Losers, William Wellman Jr.-whose father directed Tom in one of his early film roles, and Frank Capra Jr.-Senior's son who helped produce Tom's remake of his father's Mr. Smith Goes to Washington as a BJ vehicle. Oh, and also of Tom's views on Jungian theory. This was quite a fascinating look at the man who became a cultural icon based on this one character who seemed to be at the right place at the right time. So on that note, this was a worthy trip to take of this fascinating man. P.S. This was made before his death in 2013.

Billy Jack (1971)
Billy Jack is still a fascinating look at the early '70s era., 8 September 2016

After years of only reading about this movie (like in the book "Cult Movies" by Danny Peary), I finally watched Billy Jack on GetTV last night. It's quite fascinating watching this '71 period flick going through the Important issues of the time being combined with the action elements of such movies meant for more fans hungry for something to happen. Tom Laughlin plays the title character who defends the honor of some mixed-race students who are harassed by a town local at an ice cream shop. I'll stop there and just say this was quite entertaining from beginning to end with many of the good dramatic scenes especially between Laughlin and wife Dolores Taylor, co-writers of the screenplay with Tom himself directing as T. C. Frank. I especially liked some of the comedy scenes with Howard Hesseman among the players, years before becoming Dr. Johnny Fever on "WKRP in Cinncinati".

Crunch Bird II isn't as funny as its predecessor but it's amusing enough, 12 August 2016

This animated short by Ted Petok is a sequel to his Oscar-winning one The Crunch Bird. In this one, a frog encounters many animals in the jungle, says what he likes to eat, then the other animal (which includes an elephant, giraffe, and a gorilla before the title one) says what he likes to eat before the frog says nice before leaving. When he encounters CB, what he says makes the frog say something else. I'll stop there and just say this wasn't as funny as the previous one but it's still pretty amusing. I watched this on YouTube with that predecessor and another animated short helmed by Petok and Joe Petrovich called The Golfer which was much funnier than this one. Unfortunately, that one has yet to be listed on this site...

Star Trek Beyond brought me back to old friends even though they were portrayed by different actors, 3 August 2016

Let me first start by saying that while I grew up watching reruns of the original "Star Trek" series as a kid of the '70s and many of the movies made with the original cast, I don't consider myself a "Trekkie" or "Trekker"-what die-hard fans of the show are often referred as-since I don't spend time watching every ep or going back to watch over and over again. But I do know of the characterizations of the main crew as originally created by Gene Roddenberry so I was highly amused by the banter between "Bones" McCoy and Spock. As for new developments-like Uhura and Spock being in a relationship or Sulu being revealed to be in a gay relationship, to reflect originator George Takei's real-life status-I didn't mind those and highly welcomed it here. I also liked the tribute to the late Leonard Nimoy in showing his picture from the first rebooted entry of this series and of him with the original cast at the end. To tell the truth, this is the first of the rebooted entries I watched but the characters were so familiar to me because no real changes were made to them other than what I just noted that I highly enjoyed a lot of what transpired on screen as me and my movie theatre-working friend were watching old friends together on that big screen...

Page 1 of 393:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]