Page 1 of 378:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The Interview (2014/II)
The Interview is as outrageous as one expects it to be, 4 October 2015

After all the hubbub about the release-no release of this movie due to threats from North Korea, I finally watched this movie with my mom on Netflix disc. It's pretty outrageous which shouldn't surprise any fan of James Franco and Seth Rogen whenever they appear together. Yes, there is an attempted assassination on the dictator of that country I just mentioned. But while there's some plenty of action scenes and some drama concerning the fate of some characters, it's mostly quite funny in a raunchy way among many shocks that occur into the narrative. And Randall Park does a fine portrayal doing his version of Kim Jong-un. Oh, and yes, one of the female members of the dictator's cabinet turns out...oh, watch the movie to find out. So that's a recommendation of The Interview.

Hotel Transylvania 2 is a good enough sequel to its predecessor, 30 September 2015

Before reviewing this sequel to Hotel Transylvania, I looked up my comments on the previous one in which I gave that one an 8. This one was quite funny as well and once again, explores the possible prejudices of the Adam Sandler father vampire character concerning his grandson and the question if he has the same genes. There's also the added voice of Mel Brooks as the great-granddad of the boy he had yet to see and the explanation is provided of why he hadn't seen him or his son for years. Genndy Tartakovsky is once again the director and he provides enough visual humor to keep one entertained. I also liked the relationship between that boy and a girl wolf who likes him. In summary, Hotel Transylvania 2 has enough to keep one entertained.

Hot Pursuit was a middling-to-fair comedy for Reese Witherspoon and Sofia Vergara, 29 September 2015

This was a mildly funny chase comedy I just watched with Mom on a Netflix disc. I mean, Reese Witherspoon can do comedy, anyone remember Legally Blonde? Sofia Vergara is also good being both sexy and funny as evidenced by her performances on the TV show "Modern Family". I certainly give them points for trying to really play up the farce of their situations in this movie. And there are some funny lines concerning either Reese's height or Sofia's age. Also when they encounter some "baking powder" or have to pretend to be a couple were also good for some laughs. But it does get tedious after a while. Still, it didn't last too long and it's not too painful to watch. So on that note, Hot Pursuit is worth a look and noting more. By the way, this was mostly shot in New Orleans, Louisiana, which is about a two-hour drive from where I'm currently living.

Aloha (2015/I)
Aloha was a pretty good film from Cameron Crowe., 23 September 2015

Just watched this movie on Netflix disc with my mom. We both seemed to enjoy this latest drama from Cameron Crowe starring Bradley Cooper as some kind of contractor working on a rocket ship being built for an eccentric millionaire played by Bill Murray. Rachel McAdams plays Cooper's former flame and Emma Stone plays a military pilot keeping tabs on Cooper. Also appearing are John Krasinski as McAdams' pilot husband and Alec Baldwin as a general. The plot doesn't always make sense but many of the characterizations are compelling enough to overcome that. Another performer I liked was Danielle Rose Russell as one of the young kids of McAdams of which something is revealed about that near-teen daughter later on. So on that note, I recommend Aloha.

90 Minutes in Heaven is a very inspirational movie, 16 September 2015

Hayden Christensen is Don Piper, a preacher who gets into a vehicle accident and seems dead when he's checked by authorities. Kate Bosworth as his wife Eva, who has to take care of him while he tries to recuperate. I'll stop there and just say this was quite an inspirational true story depicted on screen that I watched with my movie theatre-working friend. We both were very touched by what was happening and the scene where Don tells Eva about his experiences in Heaven was perhaps the most touching of those scenes. My favorite scene has Don's teenage daughter asking him to dance with her despite his struggles with his recovery and he just holds on to her while Lee Ann Womack's "I Hope You Dance" plays on the soundtrack. So on that note, 90 Minutes in Heaven is highly recommended.

Seeing the World was an interesting Our Gang travelogue, 11 September 2015

This Hal Roach comedy short, Seeing the World, is the fifty-fifth in the "Our Gang/Little Rascals" series. Teacher James Finlayson is excited about going to Europe but hadn't expected his students to go with him. They go to Naples, Pompeii, Rome, Venice, London, and Paris. It's in the last city that they go to the Eiffel Tower. Farina gets in a little trouble there...The version I watched of this short on Internet Archive had Russian intertitles so I couldn't understand what they were saying although the Our Gang filmography book by Leonard Maltin & Richard W. Bann mentions some of them. It also explains that while Fin and director Bob McGowan did go abroad, the kids in those sequences were of the children from there in long shots unless it's the obvious back-projection scenes with the real kids. Of real interest to me was the appearance of Stan Laurel in the London sequence wearing glasses in his brief scene. He later claimed to not appear in this or any Our Gang short (For the record, he also appeared with Oliver Hardy in Wild Poses). Perhaps his scene with Frank Butler was meant for something else as many scenes were pulled from newsreel footage like that of the then Prince of Wales who would later become King Edward VIII. Farina's sequence in the Eiffel Tower is pretty thrilling and a little funny though since this is a comedy, one isn't surprised when the ending comes. Overall, Seeing the World isn't hilarious but it is amusing in spots and is interesting as a travelogue of the time. P.S. This was supposedly Jean Darling's first OG appearance with her scene at the pier but I didn't notice her anywhere there. Anyway, she recently died last September 4 at age 93.

Cake (2014/II)
Jennifer Aniston is convincing as a chronic pain sufferer in Cake, 9 September 2015

Jennifer Aniston plays Clare, a woman in chronic pain who becomes curious about a fellow support group member's-Nina's (Anna Kendrick in dream sequences)-suicide. She ends up becoming involved in Nina's husband (Sam Worthington) and his child platonically though she also has a maid who also cares for her even though she doesn't always treat her with the utmost respect. I'll stop there and just say this was quite a departure for Ms. Aniston from her usual comedic persona as she's convincingly quite pathetic in appearance and demeanor. This was not an easy thing to sit through and one gets confused a few times but for all that, I recommend Cake.

War Room (2015)
War Room was a pretty enjoyable spiritual movie, 9 September 2015

It wasn't until near the end of this movie that my movie theatre-working friend realized the people who made Courageous also made this one as many of the players in this one were also in that one. He laughed at some of the humor in this one while I mostly had a serious face until the end. There's an elderly woman who tries to help a much-younger one deal with her hubby's constantly being on the road and therefore, also possibly committing adultery. I don't want to reveal everything, just that it seems to work out at the end. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised or not. As for me, I think I mostly enjoyed it. Yeah, that woman talking to God and the devil while by herself seemed over-the-top, but otherwise, I rather enjoyed War Room.

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation was another exciting entry in the movie series, 2 September 2015

With the exception of the second one, I've seen all the other Mission: Impossible movies starring Tom Cruise. They've all been fun in their own way but with this one, I think I liked the plot even more than previously. I'm not sure all of it makes sense but I was able to follow most of what was going on this time though I'm sure I'll forget many of it in the days to come. No matter as me and my movie theatre-working friend were riveted enough by the action and much of the dialogue while watching. I certainly was very taken with the great beauty that is Rebecca Ferguson every time she appeared whether in a dress or swimsuit and certainly by her fight scenes! Of the returning cast, I loved both Simon Pegg and Ving Rhames the best. Oh, and Alec Baldwin made a fine superior this time around. So on that note, I highly recommend Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation.

Big Eyes (2014/I)
Big Eyes was a compelling film about the career of Margaret Keane and her hubby Walter's initial grabbing credit for her work, 31 August 2015

Just watched this with Mom on a Netflix disc. We both were enthralled by this true story of painter Margaret Keane (Amy Adams) whose defining feature is the big eyes of her subjects and hubby Walter Keane (Christoph Waltz) who publicly takes credit for her work for years. It takes place from the late '50s through the '60s and partly seems a comment on how stifled Mrs. Keane felt not being the one getting recognition for her work and the crises that created between her and her husband, not to mention her daughter who was often the subject for the paintings. Tim Burton seems the right director for this film especially when he has Margaret dreaming or during the climatic courtroom scenes. The light and dark colors also contribute to the period atmosphere to pretty compelling effect. While I liked many of the supporting characters, I had to admit I was a bit disappointed by the one portrayed by Krysten Ritter as I half thought she'd play more in the way things turned out in the film than she did. Still, Big Eyes was mostly enjoyable enough the way it was told. P.S. I had also watched a vintage interview with the real Walter Keane on Merv Griffin on YouTube in which he seemed to flirt with a female guest there. (The cad!) Then I saw a couple of interviews on YT with the real Margaret Keane on Mike Douglas' shows-one in Hawaii and one with Shirley Temple whose child portrait Ms. Keane painted for her-and her Southern charm shone through immensely!

Page 1 of 378:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]