tavm

Page 1 of 401:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The Rolling Stones: Undercover of the Night can still shock with its violent images, 25 April 2017

Up to this time period, this might have been the most controversial of music videos made before Madonna's "Like a Prayer" upped the ante, so to speak. This one takes place in a Central American country with Mick Jagger playing a double role: that of a kidnapped hostage and of someone who witnesses all the chaos surrounding him while that's going on. There's lots of gunplay with someone getting killed which was probably the main reason for the furor this particular video caused. I saw that version on "Night Flight" a Saturday late night music video show on USA during the '80s. I think that was the only time I watched that version at least until now when I just watched it on YouTube. I don't think I completely got what was going on in the video but I got the gist that Central America was a very violent place during that time. There was another version that just showed the group singing the song and the two people watching them-a teen boy and girl with the former trying to seduce the latter. That version I saw on another USA program called "Radio 1990". I definitely recommend the violent version of The Rolling Stones: Undercover of the Night.

Billy Joel: We Didn't Start the Fire is pretty entertaining as a music video, 25 April 2017

As we hear Billy Joel mention the events of the '50s through the late '80s, we see him standing by while an American family goes through various events of their own during the same time period. Actress Marlee Matlin plays a woman in the '60s part doing stuff like burning her bra. Scenes go by so fast, one doesn't have time to really tell what's going on so one would have to watch more than once to get it. I myself had just watched it on YouTube for my first time so I'll probably do that...Still I say Billy Joel: We Didn't Start the Fire video is worth a look.

I loved reliving "Pop Up Video" when watching many segments from it on YouTube recently!, 23 April 2017

I remember discovering this program on VH1 about 1997 when I channel surfed and stumbled on a music video with many of the pertinent info "popping up" on screen. That got me hooked to the effect of watching many of these late at night when other people in a house I lived in at the time were asleep with only another one a few years younger than me also watching. Many of those "pop-up bubbles" either related to the video, whoever were the artists being showcased in it, or other things related to the subject matter in them. Many of them had funny lines. I recently rediscovered many of the videos that were shown on the program on YouTube. So thanks to that site for bringing back many fond memories of watching "Pop Up Video"!

Rod Stewart: Infatuation was quite a rocking video with two endings, 21 April 2017

This mostly black-and-white video featured Rod Stewart in an apartment watching a gorgeous woman (Kay Lenz) through his binoculars and window with lots of pics of her undressing behind him. Perfect setting for the song "Infatuation", huh? The guy looking for her is played by Mike Mazurki who I found out appeared in roles in many movies from the '30s to the '80s. The director was Jonathan Kaplan who eventually helmed The Accused about Jodie Foster's rape and trial and Unlawful Entry about a guy eyeing a gorgeous couple. He also was previously involved with producer Roger Corman when he was head of New World Pictures, a studio that made many exploitation movies. Speaking of Corman, one of his players-Dick Miller-also appeared in this video. This musical short had two endings-one in which Stewart sees the woman ride away with her lover and one in which she spurned that lover and embraced Rod on the merry-go-round. So on that note, Rod Stewart: Infatuation is worth a look. P.S. I also watched a "Pop-Up Video" version when it was on VH1 during the '90s where it had quite a bit of interesting info popping up throughout the thing.

Herbie Hancock: Rockit is still one of the most weirdly wonderful music videos ever!, 21 April 2017

I remember first hearing part of this instrumental on the HBO comedy series "Not Necessarily the News" as the program segued between scenes and sketches. When I eventually watched the video, it was one of the weirdest I remember ever seeing. The directors were Kevin Godley and Lol Crème-former members of the music group 10cc. The video had a robot bird, walking mannequin legs in a panty, shaking legs in black pants and shoes, and the artist Herbie Hancock himself on the TV playing the keyboards. Oh, and the shaking images is in tune to the music. So yeah, that's some weird stuff but wonderful as well! So that's a recommendation of this video of Herbie Hancock: Rockit. Oh, one more memory of this recording-When there was a cheerleader tryout in the spring of '84 at my high school, the girls were using this recording to dance to it. Among them was someone I had a massive crush on who eventually made the team for that year and the following one. I can still see her shaking her hips to this which made my 16-year-old mind go crazy...

Blondie: Rapture (1981) (V)
Blondie: Rapture is still quite an awesome song to see and hear!, 21 April 2017

I remember hearing this on the radio and wondering about Debbie Harry's talking in rhymes in the middle of the song where she mentions "the man from Mars" eating cars, bars and guitars! I later saw the video on the TV show "Solid Gold" where I just found out on Wikipedia that it made its U.S. debut there. It featured Ms. Harry walking around a N.Y. street set with a man in white played by William Barnes who also choreographed the video. It also had appearances by notables like Jean Michel Basquiat and Fab 5 Freddy who Debbie mentions in her rap. It should also be noted this was the first time rap entered the mainstream as this song went all the way to No. 1 on the Billboard charts. I really liked this song and video so on that note, Blondie: Rapture is worth a look for any fan of this group.

M: Pop Muzik (1979) (V)
M: Pop Muzik was quite an experience to hear and later see, 21 April 2017

I first heard this song on Casey Kasem's "American Top 40" radio program in 1979. It had a wonderfully weird sound especially when two women were singing "Pop, pop, pop muzik!" constantly on the recording. It was quite a surprise when Casey announced it going all the way to No. 1 as sourced from Billboard magazine. A year later, I saw the video of the song on a special called "Top 10". Seeing those women mime those words was another wonderfully weird experience. I've just now rewatched it on YouTube. My verdict: the video seemed quite ahead of its time with various cuts and poses in it. So on that note, I recommend M: Pop Muzik for any fan of music videos.

Possum Pearl was a Famous Studios Noveltoon, 19 April 2017

This was a Famous Studios Noveltoon that I just discovered on YouTube. The title character is a heavyset woman desperate for a man to cuddle to. She seems to be a version of Sadie Hawkins-a character made up by Al Capp for the "Li'l Abner" comic strip who had to chase a man to get married to one. So, yes, any man she comes after wants to run away from her! One who almost gets stuck is a robber named Slippery Sam when he hides in her cabin. I'll just now say that I found plenty funny in this one especially the reactions of a doll guy in her wedding cake and that of a bird in a cage when she sings songs like "I'm in the Mood for Love" or "Lover"! The story was by Popeye voice artist Jack Mercer (who does all the male voices here) and hillbilly comic Judy Canova was Possum Pearl. So that's a recommendation for this cartoon.

Grape Nutty was a funny enough last Screen Gems cartoon for the Fox and Crow, 19 April 2017

The first Fox and Crow cartoon at Screen Gems was called The Fox and the Grapes in which the Fox keeps trying to get the fruit I mentioned that the Crow was dangling in front of him. In this last one for them made by the studio, the two are reading that tale and laugh it off that they'd fight over such a thing. But when the last grape on the plate they shared is the only one left, well...you can only guess how things go from there! I'll just now say that I found plenty to laugh at here especially when they're calling each other on the phone doing things to each other by such communication only possible in cartoons. So on that note, I recommend Grape Nutty. P.S. While this was their last Screen Gems short, they'd appear in three more by UPA before that studio created Mr. Magoo who became so popular that their distributor, Columbia, allowed them to ignore the Fox and Crow after that. Those two, however, still had some 18 more years of the spotlight being showcased in Real Screen Comics not to mention their own titled publication, courtesy of DC Comics...

The Air Race was the first Willie Whopper cartoon made, 19 April 2017

This Up Iwerks cartoon was the first to star Willie Whopper whose last name means he tells "whoppers"-outlandish stories of his adventures. In this one, he tells of entering the air race-a race of planes. Plenty of plane and air jokes abound including one involving a stock footage of an actual live-action explosion! Also, a caricature of Amelia Earhart also appears. I really don't want to reveal anymore than that so I'll just say I recommend The Air Race to any animation buffs out there.

Page 1 of 401:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]