tavm

Page 1 of 327:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Colonel Heeza Liar at the Bat was a pretty amusing cartoon for the time it was made, 29 August 2014

After long putting this on Watch Later on YouTube, I finally watched this Colonel Heeza Liar cartoon. He's on his way to a baseball game where he pitches and bats. When he pitches, his throws are curving in a way that only happens in cartoons. Before he bats, he argues with a couple of players and knocks them far away to unbelievable distances. Then when he hits a ball, it lands in a flying pelican's mouth! I'll stop there and just say while I found the gags funny, the pacing was pretty slow which was surprising to me since I always thought silents were the most speedy of films. Still, this was quite enjoyable to watch so on that note, I say give Colonel Heeza Liar at the Bat a watch.

Goonland (1938)
Goonland was a nice change of pace for a Popeye cartoon, 29 August 2014

After years of this being the first thing I favorite on DailyMotion, I finally watched this Popeye cartoon. He's looking for his long-lost Pappy who he hadn't seen in about 40 years (probably not much older than that). His ship lands on Goonland which is inhabited by these tall gangly creatures with hair on their bottoms and arms. Popeye disguises himself as them to fool them. I'll stop there and just say this was quite funny with both Popeye's mutterings and some of the visual gags. A nice break from his usual outings with Olive Oyl and Bluto and the way it ends you may or not be able to predict. So on that note, I recommend Goonland.

Sex and the Single Girl was an okay comedy, 25 August 2014

When Lauren Bacall died a couple of weeks ago-on the day after Robin Williams passed away-I immediately moved this title to the top of the Netflix order list. So it's now been a few hours ago that I managed to watch this with Mom. We both chuckled at a few places here and there. Overall though, I recognized this as mostly fluff that really didn't say anything about adult relationships and the complications of feelings concerning the opposite sex, just made various silly lines and scenes as distractions meant to simply entertain. It certainly was interesting seeing leads Tony Curtis and Natalie Wood flirting with each other in a farcical way like Doris Day and Rock Hudson did in their comedies. Second leads Henry Fonda and Ms. Bacall also provide some amusements. I also liked some of the sexiness of Fran Jeffries and Leslie Parish characters when they're involved with Curtis. And it was also nice seeing an old pro like Edward Everett Horton and an up-and-comer like Larry Storch in the same movie, although separately. And I'll always like the hilarious ways Curtis is always mistaken for his Some Like It Hot co-star Jack Lemmon here. The car chase was possibly too silly, though even then, there were some moments. In summary, Sex and the Single Girl wasn't great or even very good but was passably entertaining, just the same.

When the Games Stands Tall was another good true-life football drama, 25 August 2014

Before I review the movie proper, let me just mention how pleasantly surprised my movie theatre-working friend was in seeing LSU football coach Les Miles as an audience member in the beginning of the movie with lines, to boot! I wasn't as surprised since I knew about it having read about his appearance in last Friday's review-by John Wirt-in the Red section of our town paper, The Advocate. All right, we both loved the various plays as depicted on screen of the games and were touched by many of the dramatic scenes of many of the teammates outside of the game. Oh, and the filmmakers did a good job of disguising New Orleans as a California town, too. I really don't have anything else to say except I recommend When the Game Stands Tall.

Nelly's Folly was another enjoyable Chuck Jones cartoon, 23 August 2014

Just watched this cartoon on the Sex and the Single Girl DVD. This Oscar-nominated effort by Chuck Jones-with Abe Levitow and Maurice Noble as co-directors-seems a bit reminiscent of his previous One Froggy Evening except there's actual dialogue and in this one-Nelly the Giraffe actually allows herself to sing for fame and fortune! There's a couple of amusing gags about commercialism and the fad of certain things but this was mostly a straightforward telling about the rise and fall of a celebrity animal that goes down easy for the six-minute limit of this short. While Gloria Wood (as the singing giraffe) also gets credit for the Voice Characterization alongside Mel Blanc, Ed Prentiss-the narrator-doesn't, which was a shame. Anyway, I recommend Nelly's Folly. P.S. Prentiss was born in my birthtown of Chicago, Ill.

Get on Up (2014)
Get On Up was a mostly enjoyable biopic of the Godfather of Soul, James Brown, 16 August 2014

Last year, Chadwick Boseman portrayed baseball great Jackie Robinson in 42 in a very compelling performance. He does the same here playing legendary Soul great James Brown. The movie zig-zags to various times in his life whether focusing on his rough childhood, his early jail time, his being signed to King Records, and his eventual success. Many of Brown's biggest hits are filmed excitingly throughout. A nice treat was seeing Dan Aykroyd-one of the Blues Brothers who cast the real Brown in both their movies-play his promoter. Perhaps more could have been done exploring the contradictions in James Brown's off-stage life. Still, I mostly enjoyed Get On Up.

This version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was okay at best, 14 August 2014

As someone who's heard of these characters but until now hadn't seen any of their adventures in their entirety, I kept an open mind about what I was about to see with my movie theatre-working friend. Verdict: I liked the action but found most of the humor pretty lame though I was a amused a little by the ending scenes. My friend liked it throughout-he clapped many times during the action scenes. I thought Whoopi Goldberg was wasted in her bossy role but then anyone who portrayed her would probably not have done any better. Megan Fox wasn't too bad playing reporter April O'Neil and Will Arnett was okay as her reluctant sidekick. And since this was just a little over 90 minutes, this wasn't a bad time-waster...

In honor of the departed Robin Williams, I finally watched Moscow on the Hudson, 13 August 2014

After Robin Williams' death was announced a few days ago, I remembered I bought this DVD years ago at the Walmart I still work at. So I suddenly had the jones to finally watch it and Mom agreed to view it with me. We both enjoyed it though Mom thought it was a bit X-rated with the bathtub scene with Williams and Maria Conchita Alonso. Paul Mazursky made a touching dramady about the struggles of a Russian musician immigrant trying to make it in America with many others from other countries settling here befriending him along the way. Williams was really convincing speaking the language and whatever playing he did on the sax also sounded pretty good. I've always loved him as a comedian but when he does roles like this, it's when I really appreciate all the talents he used to the best of his ability during his lifetime. The way he passed on may have been tragic, but the way he lived was never less than a joy to watch. So on that note, in the words of the character I first knew him as, Mork from Ork: "Nanu, nanu!"

Guardians of the Galaxy was another awesome Marvel movie, 11 August 2014

Unlike previous Marvel films, I wasn't familiar with the characters of Guardians of the Galaxy from the comic books. But it was a nice surprise to watch what they're all about in the way they're depicted here. Plenty of awesome action and some funny lines and scenes abound. What really got me going was the various recordings from the '70s of popular songs that I recalled highly enjoying listening to on AM radio back in the day! Hearing mention of the original Footloose and that movie's star, Kevin Bacon, was also awesome! Also such was the by-now-familiar Stan Lee cameo and seeing someone like Glenn Close taking a role here. So on that note, I highly recommend Guardians of the Galaxy.

Except for one politically incorrect scene, Me and Mom loved The World of Suzie Wong, 28 July 2014

When I heard Nancy Kwan mention her work in her debut feature on the commentary track of Flower Drum Song, I knew I had to see The World of Suzie Wong sooner rather than later. So I managed to check this out of the library and just watched this with Mom, whose first time this was also for viewing. We marveled at the Hong Kong locations, the impossibly blossoming romance between William Holden and Ms. Kwan, and the drama of some of the sequences of the crowded tenements which my mom recounted experiencing when visiting the country several years back. If there's one quibble we had about the movie, it's the one scene where Nancy-after suffering a real beating from a sailor who Holden subsequently beat back-"brags" to her girlfriends about Holden's "beating" her because it meant he "loves" her! Talk about political incorrectness! Other than that scene, we both loved The World of Suzie Wong especially the touching ending. So that's a recommendation.

Page 1 of 327:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]