treeskier802

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Transition Film?, 13 August 2012

I've noticed a lot of poor reviews for The Bourne Legacy and admittedly some of the criticisms are spot on. However much of the negativity is really based on a knit picky critiques. I agree that this movie isn't as good as any of the three films starring Matt Damon. But I think time might be kind to this movie after more of the story is told in future movies.

It seemed to me that The Bourne Legacy was a transition film. It dug deeper into what had been presented in the three previous movies of the franchise, added new characters, and set up future story lines. Hence the story took a little time to develop unlike the other three movies which put the peddle to the metal right from the start.

Renner was great as Aaron Cross. I liked that Cross had a little sense of humor and wasn't a carbon copy of the Jason Bourne character. Bourne barely talks, whereas Cross had dialogue and seemed to have a slightly different skill set to Bourne. He got into the program with and under performing IQ score and needs the meds the program provides as much for confidence as to the actual enhancements they provide.

Wietz was also great in her role. Her character provides a very interesting partner in crime to Renner's Cross.

I found the movie very engaging. The storyline may not be as fascinating as Jason Bourne's where he has to figure out who he is and what the program he is involved in is all about. We know all this from his storyline. The story of Aaron Cross is different, yet I found it a lot of fun because it parallels the timeline of Bourne's. Never in film have I seen a sequel/prequel (not really what this movie is but for lack of a better term) where the timeline runs alongside that of preceding films. If rumor is true that Damon will reprise his role in perhaps the next film to join Cross, then I think The Bourne Legacy has successfully continued the story.

I had high hopes for the film and I really enjoyed it. I'd like to give the franchise a longer leash than a lot of critics have and see what the next film is like and how Legacy fits into the broader scheme of the entire story. I say give this one a go. Rating 8 of 10 stars.

J. Edgar (2011)
Semi Interesting - Perhaps Clint's Worst Work, 1 August 2012

I rented J Edgar hoping to learn more about this interesting historical figure. I really didn't learn much more than I already knew and I'm not expert on the guy. This is the worst Clint Eastwood directed film I've ever seen.

DiCaprio again shines, but the problem really was the direction. The movie was filmed mostly in dark scenes with little light. Perhaps that was to indicate Hoover's dislike of light and/or to reflect that the story took place in the past or that Hoover had secrets. Regardless, it was distracting. The music was also not very good. The single piano notes were actually quite annoying--Eastwood usually prides himself on great music since he is a musician.

Perhaps the subject was simply not worthy. The story jumped around in time way too much. I think a more linear time line of events would have been easier to follow and would have accomplished a better result for the story. If you're a biography or history buff, you may find interest in this. I didn't feel like my time watching this film was a total waste, but I would have rather watched something else in retrospect. Rating 5 of 10 stars.

Disappointing Third Act, 23 July 2012

Admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of comic book hero movies but I've absolutely enjoyed the first two Batman films. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were propelled by an excellent vision: solid writing backed up by superb direction and acting. The story is what mattered most to those who crafted those films and it shows. Unfortunately this is not the case with The Dark Knight Rises.

I had high expectations going into this film, which is perhaps part of my letdown. The first two movies were so good that I expected the same with the third. Instead the story took forever to develop and when it finally did seem to get to where it was going it came up short.

Bale, Caine and Freeman weren't given much to do and basically dialed in their performances. Gordon-Levitt and Hathaway however were very good. I'm not a fan whatsoever of Ann Hathaway, but must admit she was excellent as the catwoman, a part that actually was written quite nicely.

Bruce Wayne/Batman struggles in this film to crawl out of a long depression. Once he does, he is not the hero he once was. He's sent to an underground cave of a prison by Bane and his escape is anti-climatic to say the least. Oh...did I mention Bane--extremely one dimensional and boring villain. I didn't presume we'd see anything as spectacular as Ledger's Joker, but Bane was to say the least (excuse my pun) a joke.

The Batman movies are best viewed on the big screen and I'm glad I went to the movies to see this film. However, I'm disappointed in the end result. A lot of one-liners that you'd expect from the previous Batman series of the 80s and 90s, some cute, but most made me want to throw up. In fact after the movie was over I went to the men's room and a man was throwing up profusely in one of the stalls--I couldn't help but think it was because of the poor writing for this movie.

In a nutshell the writers tried being too nostalgic weaving small aspects of the past two films into this one. They tried putting the city of Gotham into a similar major dilemma we say in the second film. They included characters from the first film that seemed out of place in this film (Scarecrow & Liam Neeson's character). They tried introducing Robin and left the door open for a ridiculous 4th installment. Perhaps the worst insult was showing aerial views of New York City as a depiction of Gotham. Though I always assumed Gotham City was a caricature of NYC, I never expected an explicit connection visually and found it to be in poor taste considering the real life terrorist attacks that happened in NYC. Very poor choice by the director Nolan.

My ratings is 5 of 10 stars and I think I'm being kind. Don't take my word for it if you've enjoyed the other two films. Go see this movie and decide for yourself. Just keep your expectations low.

127 Hours (2010)
What Would You Do?, 5 March 2012

The story of Aron Ralston is documented in this intense drama. It's the true story of Ralston who found himself stuck in a cave in Utah with his arm pinned under a bolder. I knew much of the story before I watched this film and honestly was a bit queezy as to what might be shown. I'm the sort who does not do well seeing blood and guts and watching this movie was a true test for me. If you are the type of person who gets queezy over stuff like this, I must say view with caution. If you can stomach watching this film, however, you will witness an incredible true story that you will never forget.

James Franco is really good in this film. Ralston himself has said the film is very true to what actually happened. It is quite a predicament that he is in and all the thoughts that go through his mind are ones that most would contemplate. What Ralston does to survive this ordeal is unbelievable and something that many if not most people could not force themselves to do. Rating 7 of 10 starts.

Stone (2010)
Stone Not Nearly As Good As The Score, 1 March 2012

I absolutely loved The Score starring DiNero and Norton; the heist film set in Montreal where Norton was at his best as an actor. Norton is still a fine actor, but his film choices have been lacking over the past few years. I had never heard of Stone before, but because I saw Dinero and Norton in the lineup, I'd thought I'd give it a try. I wish I had passed.

There is nothing interesting whatsoever going on in Score. DiNero and Norton both act very well, but the script is pretty much rubbish. The only thing this film has going for it is that Milla Jovovich is completely sexy in it. If seeing her in this capacity turns you on and you want to waste 2 hours watching a lame movie just to see her do her stuff, then go for it. Otherwise, find something else to watch. Rating 5 of 10 stars.

Wanderlust (2012)
Let's Join A Commune!, 27 February 2012

Oh man, was this a fun movie. I didn't have high expectations when I decided to check out Wanderlust. I didn't know all that much about the movie. It turned out to be the type of comedy I really enjoy--one that is a new, fresh idea.

Rudd and Aniston are New Yorkers who must leave the city to pursue less expensive living arrangements. The move to Atlanta to live with Rudd's obnoxious brother, but on the way, get side tracked at a commune.

The commune seems like a fun change for Rudd, but Aniston is unsure. As it turns out, Aniston likes the commune more than Rudd.

There is so much crazy humor in this movie that I don't know where to begin. There is a scene where Rudd is talking to himself in a mirror that brought my girlfriend and I to tears. The entire theater was rolling in laughter...and to me THAT is always a lot of fun.

If you like comedies and don't mind crude humor, do yourself a favor and go see this movie in the theaters. This comedy is a must see at the theater. I think because of the nature of the humor, it is best viewed when you can laugh along with a big crowd.

I rate this 9 of 10 stars. Absolutely hilarious!

Hall Pass (2011)
Good Idea, Poor Execution, 12 December 2011

As with most comedies, my expectations for Hall Pass wasn't high. Don't get me wrong, comedies are one of my favorite genres, but let's face it these movies are escapism at the very best. All a comedy needs to do is have an interesting premise and then make you laugh. If it does more than that, then that's great. Hall Pass succeeded in that the idea was fresh--a couple 40-something buddies get Hall Passes from their wives, allowing them to do anything they want, without question, for one week. Great idea. However, the jokes were not all that good, the performances were dialed in, and the story didn't really progress fast enough or hit upon the jokes that really could have made it a classic comedy. Since it is a comedy, I'd like someone from Hollywood to take another crack at the subject matter. If you can watch the movie on cable for free, go ahead and see what you think. If you're looking for something to rent, it may be a waste of your time and your $5 bucks. Rating 4 of 10 stars.

Perhaps Cruise's Worst Movie, 12 December 2011

Certainly a lot of controversy surrounds Tom Cruise. Some like him, some respect him as an actor, but many voice their hatred of him. I've always considered Cruise to be a good actor with great screen presence. While he is in some really great films such as Rain Man and A Few Good Men, he often is in films that may not be great, but at least are quite good such as Valkyrie, Mission Impossible, and Jerry Maguire. Knight and Day simply stunk. The writing was horrible. Why Cruise would want to take on this project after reading the screenplay to this disaster is beyond me. Even an actress like Cameron Diaz, (who I see as a star who is not much of an actress), surprises me as to why she would want to be involved in such a poor film. This movie had nothing going for it whatsoever. Paul Dano, who is a good young actor was basically picking up a paycheck. His talents were wasted in this film. The story was bland at best, the acting was dialed in, and the direction basically just got done; there wasn't much the director could do but to get the movie completed. I honestly do not know who this movie would appeal to. If it was supposed to be a comedy, it wasn't funny. If it was supposed to be an action movie, there were no sequences that really wowed you or that have not been done before. There wasn't any reason to really care about any of the characters in this film. Rating 2 of 10 stars and I'm not really sure why I am rating it this high. Skip this one.

Atypical "Switch" Movie With Typical Results, 12 August 2011

Have you ever seen a really really good "switch" movie? You know the type; mother and daughter or father and son wish out loud that they wish they could be the other and then some lightning bolts flash and it miraculously happens. Vice-versa, Freaky Friday, and Like Father Like Son are a few examples. The difference with the Change Up is that instead of a father/son or mother/daughter switch we get two buddies to switch things up. One happens to be a single playboy type who doesn't hold a job and the other is a corporate lawyer with a wife and three kids. The similarities to the other switcharoo movies is that like the other once mentioned, this is a rather mediocre to poor film as well. Perhaps the best of this genre is the Rob Schneider film, The Hot Chick, where he a low-life crook who switches with a prom queen. I got to go to The Change Up for free, so it was no harm, no foul. My recommendation would be for you to wait until this movie comes out on DVD to see it rather than waste your money at the movies. Rating 4 of 10 stars and that is being kind because I'm a Jason Bateman fan.

Is This The Optimal Way To Date?, 29 July 2011

I've decided to take a different spin on Friends With Benefits than most of the other reviews I've seen. Essentially Timberlake and Kunis' characters decide they are sick of the typical path that occurs when couples date. So they decide to be friends who simply have sex with no strings attached. This dating style allows the two to be completely honest with each other in what each likes and dislikes both sexually and personally. As it turns out, they become the perfect fit for each other. Unfortunately neither sees this and they consider dating other people because both feel what they are doing cannot last. I think for many people this is the best way to date! If you go into a relationship with the idea it will just be fun, you end up being yourself. You immediately get comfortably sexually, which can be intimidating if you gradually dated trying to get to know each other first.

As for the movie, the storyline was fresh and Timberlake and Kunis had great chemistry which is what you want out of a romantic comedy. A lot of the comedy poked fun at the stereotypical romantic comedy and then th movie when ahead and used those stereotypes to move the storyline ahead toward the end of the film...pretty genius actually. A great movie to watch with your significant other. Rating 7 of 10 stars.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]