errata28

Worst war movie by far, 13 March 2002

Not only is this movie so overwrought it made me sick (there were some good belly laughs thrown in too), the ending contains my favorite continuity error of all time. John Wayne walks down onto the beach at sunset. Consulting a map, one would note that beaches in Vietnam face east. Sorry Duke, this one's a stinker.

Avalon (1990)
American Paradise Lost, 21 May 2001

This film is a powerful depiction of the loss of innocence experienced by so many immigrants who came to this country, believing it was a veritable promised land. Slowly and subtly, Levinson shows how their once close families are pulled apart by the demands of the culture. From the flight of the middle class to the suburbs and the loss of traditional business values, the transformations our society underwent in the post-war period are captured here with masterful storytelling. Watch how television gradually becomes the center of the home, rather than the family table. The turkey scene, as funny as it is, is profound. The extended family is falling apart, as the geographical distance afforded by the automobile grows.

The acting is tremendous. The performances of Quinn, Perkins, Muehler-Stahl and Plowright are worth the purchase alone. But don't miss young Elijah Wood in his first major film role.

This movie is one to treasure and revisit year after year--how about at Thanksgiving... :)

An elegant introduction to Wu Xia, 26 March 2001

Ok, I'll admit it, I'd never heard of Wu Xia when I saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I guess I expected what most Americans have come to expect as standard martial arts fare. Immediately, the treatment of the film reminded me much more of Kaige Chen and Yimou Zhang than Jackie Chan or Bruce Lee. Something was remarkably different here... Not knowing what to expect, I watched as the characters moved from fighting to flying! I found myself laughing with joy at the sheer beauty of what my eyes were seeing but my oh-so-rational mind told me wasn't possible.

The scope and direction of CTHD kept me riveted to my seat, my eyes to the screen. I could not wait to see what would happen next. Indulge me as I pay homage to the beauty and elegance of CTHD. The acting is superb (no nominations?)! The cinematography is breathtaking. Who cannot marvel at the sheer beauty of the battle in the bamboo trees?

The central character, Jen, is a fascinating character study of adolescent rebellion, juxtaposed with the courage, honor and duty of Bai, Shu Lien and even Lo. Heavily laden with symbolism and archetypal imagery, CTHD is closer to Greek Tragedy than what I used to think of as "martial arts."

Since the day I first saw CTHD, I've learned a great deal more about Wu Xia, and I look forward to checking out some of the other important films in the genre.

I understand that for longtime fans of Hong Kong cinema and Wu Xia, this movie may not blaze any new trails, but for me it has been an eye opening, mouth gaping education.