randawg72

Well done biography. ..., 23 June 2013

1st off, this is a very hard episode to find. You can't buy or stream it anywhere. I put in a 'wish list' on eBay and one finally popped up after a year and a half (!). For me it was worth the wait.

I've been a fan of Jonathan Harris and LIS since I was a kid, and thought I knew everything about this great personality but I learned a lot from this DVD. It starts from his humble beginnings in New York, and he explains how he hated his NY accent and trained himself to speak more dignified, like the actors he watched in the cinema.

It covers his early acting career including the original 'Catch me if you can' which was completed in 1959, and the other series he starred in before LIS. The former was filmed on location in Cuba, where the cast and crew were harassed and even shot at by Castro's men, and then the movie was eventually confiscated by the Cuban government and never released.

It also covers his work in the 70's and 80's and the cartoon voice over work from his later years. The film includes commentaries from LIS cast members, directors, Jonathan's widow, Burt Reynolds, and Sheila Allen (Irwin's wife from 1974 and the woman who played the singing Brynhilda in LIS 'The Space Vikings').

In summary, it was very informative and entertaining; and I'm glad I was finally able to see it. Recommended to all Jonathan Harris and LIS fans.

Slightly over-rated. …, 8 April 2013

First off I want to say I liked the movie. It had great performances all around and a compelling story. And I'm a fan of Henry Fonda and Jack Klugman. My problem is I'm puzzled that this film has such a high ranking on IMDb ? I can think of at least 10 better films (in my opinion) that are ranked far below this one.

This is a classic film and I think it's well made and still holds up after 50+ years. I guess I just had high expectations for a movie in the IMDb top 10. It sounds silly but I think I would have enjoyed it more if was rated 200th !

Still powerful 80+ years later. ..., 3 January 2013

I watched this movie for the first time last night. It's amazing that it was made in 1930 but still holds up so well today. One of the best stories I've seen that shows the futility of war and the waste of life and resources is causes.

It's a little weird at first adjusting to the German perspective in WW-1 (especially since it's in English); but this story would have the same poignancy if placed in any nationality or language. Well made for the era (only 12 years after the Actual war) with good performances all around. I recommend it for anyone interested in war films or as a study in film making.

The anti-war message is as relevant as ever and I think this film should be mandatory viewing for all high school students.

Great post apocalyptic fun !. ..., 4 April 2012

This is one of my all-time favorite films. A pure adrenalin thrill ride from start to finish.

I actually saw this movie in a theater when it 1st came out in '82. Great performance by Mel of course as well as by: Vernon Wells, Bruce Spence, and Virginia Hey and the rest of the cast. Set in the not too distant future, our hero 'Max' battles the evil fuel stealing minions on the long desert highways of Australia's vast 'wasteland'.

Directed by George Miller, this movie really captures the grit and harsh brutality of a world gone mad after the fall of civilization where nomadic tribes of survivors battle to 'live off the corpse of the old world'.

Cinematically stunning, and a longtime cult classic. I've seen it dozens of times and can sit and watch this movie again any time. Full of memorable lines and catch phrases. "You can run, but you can't hide !".

Kick-Ass (2010)
It's better than you expect. ..., 10 January 2011

I enjoyed this movie a lot, by far my favorite of 2010. I unfortunately missed it in the Theater but discovered it later on DVD.

I expected (like most people I know) a cheesy 'Superbad' type superhero movie, boy was I wrong. A simple but engaging story, excellent directing and perfect casting. Great performances by Aaron Johnson, Nicolas Cage and Chloe Moretz.

This is the kind of movie that superhero fans have always hoped for. It's made like it really could happen in real life. not with multi thousand dollar costumes & props like the 100 million dollar 'Hollywood' versions.

I highly recommend this movie to anyone. It's entertaining and satisfying from start to finish. I've seen it several times and could sit down and watch it again anytime.

(I can't wait for the sequel !).

Sincerely, ~Randawg.

Not horrible for a 'B' movie. ..., 14 August 2009

I searched out TFOS because I heard that a certain toy ray gun was used in the film (a Hubley Atomic Disintegrator). I also heard that it had a low budget and poorly done, but I still wanted to see it.

As it turns out, it wasn't half bad. The effects were a little weak (as expected) especially the monster (Giant lobster) could have been done better. But overall I think the acting was decent, the actors worked well together, and the story kept me interested till the end.

Sci-Fi movies in the 50's were typically done cheaply, and were rarely supported by the studios. I think this one is at least as good as most of the ones I've seen. Good performances by the leads, as well as Grandpa, and the woman playing the nurse. It was cool to see King Moody (Starker on Get Smart) as the alien commander.

Overall an interesting example of a 50's Sci-fi 'B' movie, and in my opinion worth a look.

Star Trek (2009)
Different but good. ..., 11 May 2009

I just saw this movie in IMAX an I liked it. I'm a longtime ST fan and have been patiently waiting for this release since I saw the teaser trailer over a year ago.

Since most remakes of classic shows typically suck (Lost in Space, My Favorite Martian, Get Smart to name a short list). I didn't expect much when I went into the theater. It's been said already, but don't go in expecting it to be like the original series because it definitely is Not. The plot is interesting while following the conventions and technology from the previous ST series and movies.

This movie has several twists and surprises that I would never have guessed. It's enjoyable to the original ST fans, as well as young people who have never even seen the original series. The small differences old time fans will notice are explained in the new chain of events that unfold in this story. The actors portray the crew true to their character's personalities without copying the original casts interpretations. Good performances all around, especially by Karl Urban (Dr McCoy), and Zachary Quinto (Spock). I thought Chris Pine was good, but for me lacked some of the swagger and restrained arrogance of William Shatner's original Captain Kirk. I also liked Simon Pegg as Scotty, and John Cho as Sulu.

In summary, I think it's an enjoyable film that I plan to see again. It sets the stage for the second movie that I hope will allow the new cast to further develop the characters we already know so well.

Ledger Is 'The Best Villain Ever'. ..., 8 August 2008

This is an incredible movie with great performances throughout. The plot is unpredictable and keeps the audience guessing. In every scene, just when you think you know what will happen next, ....you don't. (you can't say that about most movies can you ?). I like all the Batman films, but 'Begins' and 'Dark knight' are much more 'possible' in the real world than previous versions.

I was asked after I saw this film if I thought Heath Ledger was the best Joker. My reply was that he is not only the best Joker ever, but in my opinion, the best villain ever in any superhero movie. The thought of a super intelligent psycho killer, that always knows the outcome of every situation. And with seemingly ESP like powers that let him stay a step ahead of his pursuers is very frightening. Also, this psycho is not even interested in money, or power or world domination. His only desire is to inflict pain and suffering on innocent people.

While watching Ledger's performance, I kept thinking 'wow, this guy's dead', which only deepens the creepy-ness of this evil and twisted Joker. I envision Nicholson accepting the Oscar for Ledger in February.

In summary, this is a very entertaining and well made movie. One of the best. You will kick yourself if you don't see this one on the big screen.

Still Great 4 Years Later. ..., 9 May 2008

When I first saw the teaser trailer for this movie at the theater I wanted to see it. Which I did the opening weekend and liked it, I now own the DVD and revisited Sky Captain recently and this review is my take 4 years later.

First of all, Kerry Conran is one of my hero's. I just watched the making of this film and the story of his quest has enough drama for a movie of it's own. He went from a quiet (computer nerd?) to writer & director of a major motion picture! This is a movie for movie lovers. I like to be absorbed in the story and let the movie maker wow me with his vision. Sky Captain does that and more. Great acting and exciting and original visuals make for a fun ride.

I can't understand why some people don't like this film. Some purists say it looks too fake. When and where? I think the CGI effects are realistic and seamless. Kerry Conran's a genius, and I think his groundbreaking work will be even more appreciated by future generations.

My question to you Mr Conran, Where is Sky Captain II ??

Sincerely, ~Randawg.

Makes Godzilla look like a kitten. ...., 19 February 2008

This is really a great movie about a really terrifying creature. I, like most people went see this without big expectations, and was blown away. The hand-held camera thing has been done before, but it really helps to suck you into the experience, and does sort of make the viewer feel as if they are part of the story.

I think everyone has had a bad dream where something big is stalking them and seems to follow at your heels wherever you run to. This movie looks like they got into someone's head and filmed one of those nightmares.

Good acting, a suspenseful plot, and Great special effects. Easily the best movie I've seen in quite awhile.