Troy2Slick

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Novocaine (2001)
This WASN'T meant to be a comedy..., 17 May 2003

This review is for all of the people nagging and complaining that this movie wasn't very funny. Ummm, hello! Earth to the idiots out there... It's a DRAMA. That's spelled D-R-A-M-A (Without the hyphens for you real idiots out there). It was a great movie, where Steve Martin actually uses his acting ability and does so with triumphant impact. Just like The Spanish Prisoner, this is another not so typical Martin role. Watch the movie for what it is. A dark, witty, twists and turns mystery-drama. Enjoy, because I sure did. 4 *'s out of 4 *'s.

Okay, but nowhere near as good as the first one..., 15 May 2003

Then again, what sequels are usually as good as the first one? Not many, I'd assume. This sequel brings back Neo, Trinity, Morpheus and even a quickie from the Oracle.

The action scenes were pretty good, but for some reason, didn't seem as good as the first one. It seemed more of the same re-hashed stuff we've seen already and nothing new and innovative. With the exception of two of the villians that can turn into an apparition, which is pretty neat.

The storyline is pretty intriguing and that's what captured my attention to the first one. Some of the supporting cast members almost had no impact to the story or movie whatsoever. For instance, Jada Pinkett Smith added absolutely NOTHING to this movie and I mean nothing. They should have left her out of it.

All in all, it's a decent sequel, but not quite what I was expecting. I will be seeing The Matrix: Revolutions in November, hopefully it will be better than Reloaded. Do I recommend seeing this movie? Well, not really. It's okay, but nothing what you'd expect. 2 *'s out of 4 *'s. Really disappointing

Very Entertaining..., 6 May 2003

Knockaround Guys has stars galore. However, that isn't what attracted me to this film. I have become a fan of Barry Pepper, Seth Green and Vin Diesel over the last few years. Of course, Dennis Hopper and John Malkovich add much more star power than just them.

Most people would assume this movie would have tons of action, simply being it's a mobster movie, with Vin Diesel, Barry Pepper and Dennis Hopper involved. That isn't the case. There are a few scenes of action, but this movie isn't about car chases, bar fights, shoot outs and so on. This movie focuses more on character development and emotions.

The characters are extremely well developed in this movie. That's a definite plus, in my book. If I don't care about the characters, or feel for them in a sense, why would I care about the plot or outcome? Some movies are exceptions, like the Transporter, Jackie Chan flicks, Slapstick movies, etc... Not acceptable here, however.

The opening scenes are very disturbing, as it shows 12 year old Matty (Pepper as a kid, well not really, but supposedly in the movie) involved in his father's ruthless mob antics. They hand him a gun and tell them they are going to make a man out of him. Will he shoot the traitor, or not? This and many more other questions become apparent as the movie progresses. A very entertaining look into the life of mobsters, people stuck in it, people trying to get out, people trying to get in, this movie is just alot of fun.

Vin Diesel surprisedly does some very well acting in his albeit small, but very important role. Pepper shines, Seth adds some sparks, Malkovich is always great and Dennis Hopper is great as well, but doesn't have much to offer as far as screen time goes.

If you are looking for a mob/gangster drama with little action and great acting, character development and an actual plot, then I recommend this movie for you. If you're into brainless action, with no point or viable plot, then maybe you should go for The Fast & The Furious instead (Yes, I liked that movie, so it's not a put down).

3 *'s out of 4 *'s. Definitely recommended.

Great Character Study, Bad Movie..., 5 May 2003

This is a different type of movie. If you're into character study and personalities from their lifestyles and how they were raised, then this might be for you. Me, on the other hand, didn't find much interesting about the movie. It had decent acting, great character study and moods, but it didn't get anywhere or do anything for me. Based on a semi-true story, from the mind of one Chuck Barris, creator of the Dating Game, Newlywed Game, Gong Show among others. The interesting aspect of the story is wondering how much of the story really is true. Did he really work for the CIA and kill 33 people? I think only one man really knows that answer. I give this movie 2 *'s out of 4 *'s for character study and that alone. Not a great directorial debut for George Clooney, in my opinion. Only recommended if you like a movie about human characterization and the study of emotions and actions thereof.

Scared me to death, from the almost zero laughs in this supposed spoof comedy., 5 May 2003

Scary Movie 2 brings us once again Shawn and Marlon Wayans from the first and triumphant Scary Movie. This movie spoofs many different movies ranging from The Exorcist, House on Haunted Hill, The Haunting, Poltergeist 1 & 2, What Lies Beneath and many others. It has very funny opening moments with the spoofing of the Exorcist. However, the movie takes an absolute downfall afterwards. It had maybe and I'm being generous here, 2-3 more laughs scattered throughout the movie.

For instance, there is a talking parrot who uses more curse words than I do, but in a VERY extremely non-funny way. It uses jokes like I had your mother last night and stuff like that. The jokes were so unoriginal, I wanted to shoot the person who wrote this crap. Since this movie is suppose to be funny and slapsticky, I expect funny for my buck. I don't expect good acting, plots, character development in these types of movies, but for god sakes, please show me the funny. Marlon Wayans brought a few laughs here and there as did Shawn, but the down-syndrome girl is oh my god, TOO ANNOYING TO DESCRIBE IN WORDS!!

Avoid this movie at all costs. If you want to see some funny spoofs, then I suggest renting National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1, Naked Gun, Naked Gun 2 1/2, Hot Shots part 1, Christmas Vacation, Airplane or Spy Hard. This movie doesn't even get a star. 0 *'s out of 4 *'s.

Another Bruce action flick, only this time, Damon Wayans tags along..., 4 May 2003

The Last Boyscout is a fairly good action flick. It doesn't do anything earth shattering in terms of inventive plots, twists, or action sequences, but that doesn't make it a bad movie. Bruce Willis (Die Hard Trilogy, The Sixth Sense) and Damon Wayans (Bulletproof, The Great White Hype) star in this movie. I give it 2 1/2 *'s out of 4 *'s. Recommended if you like Bruce or Damon, as they both have decent performances in this action, no brainer flick. Worth a view, if you turn your brain to nonsense mode.

Possession (2002)
Poetry and Romance at it's best..., 4 May 2003

This movie is great if you love romance, poetry and just great all around acting, while watching a great story unfold before your very eyes. I won't go into details about the movie, for people spoil them enough for others. So, if you want some romance, poetry, great landscapes, some humor and a great story, then check out this great movie with Gwenyth Paltrow (Shallow Hal, The Talented Mr. Ripley), Aaron Eckhart (Erin Brockovich, The Pledge), Jeremy Northam (Amistad, Gosford Park) and Jennifer Ehle (Wilde, Sunshine). I give it 3 *'s out of 4 *'s. Definitely recommended.

Not as corny as you might think.., 4 May 2003

This movie isn't as corny as you may think it will be. It does have a lot of wackiness involved, but it's all done intentionally. It doesn't try to portray itself as a high tech, knock your socks off horror or thriller. It's a portrayal of the '50s genre of horror. As Slapsticky as that was, this is as well, in a sense. The spiders look pretty realistic, if you ask me. Of course, they squeak and sputter nonsensical stuff, kind of like the little gremlins did in the 1984 Gremlins, or like Critters. It's a good popcorn, leave your brain at home, make sure to buy a matinee movie ticket type of flick. But heck, it's a lot of fun! This is one of David Arquette's better movies to date. With many duds in the past such as See Spot Run, Ready 2 Rumble, Scream 3, 3000 Miles to Graceland, The Shrink is In, Free Money, RPM, The Alarmist, Wild Bill, Fall Time, Airheads, The Road Killers, The Killing Box, The Webbers and Never Been Kissed, you can tell from this list of duds, that he's grasping for a job in Hollywood. This film also features Scarlett Johansson (The Horse Whisperer, Ghost World), Scott Terra (Daredevil), Kari Wuhrer (Anaconda), Doug E. Doug (Cosby, Jungle Fever), Rick Overton (Mrs. Doubtfire, Groundhog Day) as you can tell, these actors aren't just fresh off the street. It does have somewhat of a B-Movie feel to it, but the spiders don't look low budget. The acting isn't anything to spectacular, but it's good enough to make it effective. I give this movie 2 *'s out of 4's. Recommended as a no-brainer, enjoyable invasion of the giant spiders flick. Rent it today.

Die Hard (1988)
Action the way it was meant to be..., 4 May 2003

This is the movie that has been cloned more times than sheep and hamsters combined. Bruce Willis shines and stars in this high tech action thriller. Everyone knows what the movie is about. Everyone knows how the movie will end. That doesn't mean that it isn't GREAT. It is the best Bruce Willis movie to date, in my opinion. Die Hard with a Vengeance was almost as good as this was. Go see the trilogy today. 3 3/4th *'s out of 4 *'s.

Die Hard: With a mighty comeback, 4 May 2003

After 5 years from Die Hard part 2, which didn't do as good as the first, Willis makes a strong comeback the 2nd best movie in the trilogy. I didn't care too much for the second one, but the first and third are action classics, if you can classify any action flicks as classic. Die Hard: With a Vengeance stars Bruce Willis (Unbreakable, The Sixth Sense), Samuel Jackson (Pulp Fiction, The Negotiator) and Jeremy Irons (Dungeons & Dragons, The Time Machine) in this epic action flick of the decade. If you are looking for some of the best action of the 1990's, then look no further. This movie has what you crave for. Explosions, guns, car chases, jumps from bridges, helicopters, even a scene in the mean streets of Harlem, in which Bruce Willis is forced to wear a picket sign with suggestive material written on it. Bruce and Samuel Jackson have the greatest chemistry together and make this film work and fit together like a puzzle. It has plenty of spills, thrills, laughs, action, wit, great acting, what more could one ask for? I highly recommend this movie. 4 *'s out of 4 *'s for the action scenes alone.

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]